test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Going to Roll a New GF for Mod 3 - BEST DPS Race Help

sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hey Gang,

I'd like to roll up a new GF that is Max DPS oriented (or has best dps potential)

- So before people say roll a GWF.. I have.. I have 3...

I still like GF's and would like to have a second.. as I'd like to go more PVP oriented with Sadus my current GF (Hafling).

So I wanted to inquire what the community consensus was for best DPS potential race for GF.

I figure it's between,

Human:
+2 Str
+3 Feats

Half Orc:
+2 STR + 2 Dex
+5% Crit Severity

Tiefling:
+5% flat dps boost under 30% health on enemies.

Dwarf:
+2 Str
+2 Con

Or maybe.. none have more than a marginal advantage.. and it's all about looks..

Thanks in Advance...

BTW - Maybe this can be moved to Class Forum.. just noticed it was posted in General Forum.
-= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
- Apocalypse - (DC)
- Sadus (OP)
- Fireball (GWF)
- Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've always been happy with my Dwarf. $0.02
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I rolled a new GF as a dwarf also. But for pvp people will tell you halfling period.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I went with a Sun Elf, because I wanted to go with as much action point gain as possible and the extra control resist did not hurt either. And I did not want to run around with a tiny looking char or a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (aka Dwarf). Although Dwarfs with their increased resistance to knockbacks are likely the most sensible choice technically when it comes to PvP.

Also did I chose Sword Mastery. Weapon Master's Strike has got a very strong debuff, which helps in breaking GWFs, GFs and against very tanky DCs. The daily power Crescendo stuns and prones while being immune to CC, which is very helpful for PvP. Combined with the passive power Steel Defense for a short period of damage immunity does it become a very strong power even when one is about to go down in a tower brawl. While I do not need Steel Grace very often and rather slot Combat Superiority as my second passive power is Steel Grace useful for when one has to fight a lot against CC.

Most feat points did I invest in the tactician path. The final feat is important to get a lot of action points fast and since all good PvPers know how to get around a GF's guard. One will get hit in the back, if one wants to or not does not matter. So getting action points while not guarding is very helpful for PvP. Other feats like having Lunging Strike interrupt and having Avil of Doom stun are further goodies for PvP. It is great for getting another player's rotation out of order. I also have put 10 points into the Protector path only to get +5% on Deflect Chance and the extra +5 AC.

As armor did I chose the Profound Tactician set, which offers a combination of Defense and Recovery, and it is a good mix of defensive and offensive qualities. I did not want to be a glass cannon nor did I want to be a powerless doorstop. The armor also offers extra hit points, which makes it only more useful. The rest are all Profound pieces of Slaying, because these offer Power together with Recovery. As a result do I have +21.5% recharge speed for my encounter powers and +40.3% action point gain. I hardly need to use my At-Will powers and with only 6s on Lunging Strike am I never bound to one place for long and can catch up to CWs and HRs quickly even when these use a lot of CC on me, or only get away from a losing situation faster by attacking someone who is further away. I also use Griffon's Wrath a lot for stun and damage. Its three charges build up while travelling between towers and then can be fired all in sequence, which makes for good damage and to hold a target in place, making it easier for your team to hit it, too.

I hope you find this informative.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I rolled a drow cause of dark fire (5% chance -10% defence on hit) and for roleplay reasons.But as stated dwarf is probably the best choice to go.

i am a minority i went with a dex based Gf for the increased resistance ignored.(and took a ton of critiscism).But i think for pvp damage wise a dex is better than streangth.Guard bonus you can take from armors and +5% more guard will not help you much but + 5/6 resistance ignored will definitely help you against armored opponents.

i am Swordmaster aswell and the reason is in the last tier of features for a SwordM Gf.Check it your self.(no need for unwanted attention on it)
    Conq is ,my opinion,the only real choise.if you want actually to kill something.
    Add to Conq's feat ,the first feat of tactician's "crushing pin"10% more damage after you use our control powers.(AKA Griffon's).Add the +20% damage of empowered Griffon's..... :)

Armor aswell went with tactician profound.I would really like the Conq set .Not sure if i did the correct choise.Weapons i took the conq's profound sword and shield.

As for enc/dailied.Crescendo is good.But be carefull:Crescendo is actually 5 hits and this 90% of the time pops up unstopable on GWFs.Don't use it against them.use Villain Menace instead to get immune to their prones.And do +20% damage for 6 secs.
    Crescendo is excellent against all the others.And you can even activate it from some dinstance.+5 feat i think.No CW or HR will ever run away from you ;)

I use Cleave coupled with tide of iron for the DR debuff.Tried SM strike but is too slow and changed back to Tide.
    My enc are in this order: Lunging strike ,Bull charge,Griffon's Wrath.

After the patch that made Griffon a little bit faster animation,i think it is now by far the best damage enc of a GF.

The end result of my build is a GF that kils something more easily squishies,but is slightly worse agaimst GWF/GFs.(sometimes not slightly ,more than that :( )
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sadus671 wrote: »
    - So before people say roll a GWF..

Nobody would tell you that with mod3 coming.

The GF spends a lot of his time getting knocked back during pve fights, during which he is not DPS-ing. Is there a race with a resistance to knckbacks?
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dps.....gf........
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Tiefling control wizard is best dps race for gf.
  • Options
    klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I went with dwarf for my GF.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    Nobody would tell you that with mod3 coming.

The GF spends a lot of his time getting knocked back during pve fights, during which he is not DPS-ing. Is there a race with a resistance to knckbacks?

Dwarf

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Stand_Your_Ground
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Knockbacks and prones are also considered as control powers so you may also wish to include Sun/Moon Elves as well as Halflings in there. Halflings are always a solid choice whether it be PVP or PVE.
  • Options
    guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lenneth Here:
    Youre going pure DPS...go HUMAN.
    Enough Said!
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Female Halfling. Forget stats. When people get pwned by a little girl they rage and get stupid.
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Female Halfling. Forget stats. When people get pwned by a little girl they rage and get stupid.

/nod and a lol
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain