test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thaumaturge or Renegade

gubicielgubiciel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Library
Which do you believe is better for pvp and why?

What are the advantages and disadvantages or each?
Post edited by gubiciel on

Comments

• ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thaum has more debuffs and higher single target dps, Renegade has better AOE and team buffs.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thaum has more debuffs and higher single target dps, Renegade has better AOE and team buffs.

I believe you have that backwards. Thaumaturge is the AoE tree, Renegade is for single target DPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Renegade may suffer more from mod3 in pvp.

More tenacity more crit dmg reduction...
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    I believe you have that backwards. Thaumaturge is the AoE tree, Renegade is for single target DPS.

Actually, not really,

They are both the AoE tree, the Thaum and Renegade path both Debuff very well.

I suppose you could say the Renegade is the Crit Build. But there's a caveat in that.

The Renegade does its damage from a position of Combat Advantage, and must have this single thing to perform and do large amounts of damage as it's crits and crit severity are directly tied into it. Thaum does not require this.

A Renegade can increase their damage by a good 15% with ALL powers on crits.

The Thaum can only do it with Shards but does it with or without Crit... BUT the Renegade MUST HAVE combat advantage or they lose their key feature that allows them to do extreme damage.
  • pantheist84pantheist84 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Renegade is better dps.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A Renegade can increase their damage by a good 15% with ALL powers on crits.
    From base 75% severity, another 15% severity will give you 8.6% stronger crits. From 125% severity it's 6.(6)%.
    And for some stupid reason combat advantage is additive with crit severity instead of being a separate multiplier.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    frznvimes wrote: »
    From base 75% severity, another 15% severity will give you 8.6% stronger crits. From 125% severity it's 6.(6)%.
    And for some stupid reason combat advantage is additive with crit severity instead of being a separate multiplier.

Well I'm not going to disagree with you,

That's why I believe very few players are good enough to achieve this 100% of the time. I incorporate a portion of it in some of my builds, but when I do I know I've got to have that combat advantage ALL the time.

The good thing is, Steal Time tends to proc Nightmare Wizardry a lot more than you'd think, but there's still the question of being able to crit too on top of that.

Which is why the Renegade tree always has to be striking from a position of Combat Advantage. The damage of the Renegade Path can either end up off the charts, or way below average, and its very erratic, you could get one side of the spectrum, or the other depending on how often you get that combat advantage.

If you get it a lot, you're high end... if you don't... you can end up looking pretty average.