test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Issue of Scale

imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Foundry
I'm convinced that Neverwinter is built on top of some kind of space-warping tesseract.
It's the only explanation I can come up with for why a city that, in it's official map (the very one that was used for the city map part of the overland travel map), is about 5000 feet wide at its widest point, contains such huge, sprawling areas.
Neverdeath Graveyard, as can be seen on the map, is a small area mainly composed of two adjoining sections, which occupy in total an area that is about 600' on a side. Yet in NWO, it's enormous.
The area near the Hall of Justice on the map is a mostly flat area with winding streets, yet in NWO it's a steeply sloping area with lots of stairs.

I had a quest idea I was working on using Black Lake. On the official map, Black Lake, the lake itself, is about 200'x500'. The only wall nearby is the city wall, to the north of the lake. Yet in NWO, it's a large lake, so large that it had shipping before it got choked with slime and debris, and there are large walls around it.

I know they needed to make changes to make it work in a video game environment, but, not being familiar with the background for the city of Neverwinter, I hadn't realized just how much they had changed.

I don't really have a solution for this. I'm just going to move on, and build whatever fits my quest, since that's obviously what Cryptic did. It's just really frustrating to try to make something that fits the Lore and uses established locations, only to find out that the locations are nothing like what they are "supposed to be".
Post edited by imaginaerum1 on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I took a look at Blacklake, and it's not that huge. The "lake" is about 700' long and about 200' wide. There is sort of "island" in the middle - not sure if that is really supposed to be the "opposite shore" or what. The only thing really out of place is there seem to be 3 overly large sea-worthy ships in there -- all for a tiny little dock for much, much smaller boats. I think somebody just dropped them in there for ambience without even a clue that they were in A LAKE. It looks to me like someone placed the tower-district broken tower on the horizon WEST of Blacklake lake????

The graveyard seems to be about right as well -- the north-east "rectangle" seems to be about 7-800' (kind of hard to make out where retaining walls were after the spellplague). And it seems to be about 500' wide -- seems relatively close to the map scale. The south-west "rectangle" seems to be the oddest - looks like it's own chasm happening.

The chasm? NO idea what is going on there -- that definitely seems to have collapsed/widened more than the reference map.

Some definite "oddities" floating around -- I guess WotC didn't "really" care very much. And Cryptic developers as well.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic has stated on more than one occaision that they have weekly calls with WotC and WotC has approval over all content. WotC has also stated that Cryptics art for Neverwinter Online influenced their Neverwinter setting box set.

/ Cant read the post above mine, dark text on dark background.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic has stated on more than one occaision that they have weekly calls with WotC and WotC has approval over all content. WotC has also stated that Cryptics art for Neverwinter Online influenced their Neverwinter setting box set.

Yep. That's why it baffles me that (for example) a relatively small crack on the official 4E map turned into the immense chasm area we get in-game. It makes me wonder how much they're really reviewing what was done.

Is there a boxed set for Neverwinter for 4E? I thought they did a hardcover sourcebook...?
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yep. That's why it baffles me that (for example) a relatively small crack on the official 4E map turned into the immense chasm area we get in-game. It makes me wonder how much they're really reviewing what was done.

Is there a boxed set for Neverwinter for 4E? I thought they did a hardcover sourcebook...?
    Sourcebook or boxed set. You're correct.

They probably adjusted the size to deal with the realities of number of players in an mmo. That would be reasonable.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.