test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confessions of a satisfied PvP player and customer

proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
A bit about me:

- I'm a woman in her mid 20s, I play with my husband most times.
- I've never been a great gamer, my husband however started to play this game a lot, to the point we fought about it a bit. To calm me off, he leveled a char for me, geared it up and gave it to me as a present, so I can play with him. That worked! And more chars followed suit:
- I have a GF, GWF, TR, CW, all maxed, all PvP spec, all played in numerous premades with and against the top guilds in the game, since the early stages of the game. Been through all kinds of crazy metas.
- I have tried MMOs before, my husband would always try to make me play with him, never worked, and I'll explain why below.

So what's so good about this amazing game, from my point of view? Besides the nice combat system everybody loves?

Well... it's the thing that you don't need to work for it almost at all. This is amazing for a couple that runs a business and has lots of real life commitments. You can mostly level up (I never did this myself though, my husband does it for me), get boon, buy best gear instantly. Things changed a bit with Tenacity, but not a lot, since all we do is PvP, so gear came to us anyway.

Once you have all Rank 10s, and Perfect armor and weapon enchant, you are suddenly desired by the top guilds. You got me right, you don't even need to be a great player. All you have to do is read the forums, and play the class people complain the most about. Right now, that would be the Trickster Rogue, but the GWF is not far behind. I wish I had a geared HR too (and I will soon), because I know they can be just as OP.

So, to put things in perspective, this game makes it extremely easy for you to have fun. Get maxed gear, get BiS PvP spec, but more importantly - CLASS. Class will offer you 75% advantage in PvP. Never get attached to any char. Ditch them as they become a gimp - totally underpowered. This happens every few months, as the developers fix unintented behavior such as Tenebrous Enchants and so on. Ride the tide while it lasts - have fun!

All in all, a game that offers great opportunities for those willing to adapt - instead of complaining. Seen so many complaints in the forums, where instead of it, people could just reroll. Yes, of course, some will say "then it will be 5 GWF against 5 GWF in PvP". No it won't. Cryptic will periodically nerf OP classes. You just need to have one of each class - just in case - and choose the class that's most OP at that time.

Some might dismiss this topic as cynical, yet it is the truth extracted from months of experience. The happiest players in this game are those without attachments to silly toons/builds. Those that adapt, those that will always play the OP class/spec.

Thanks for reading!
Post edited by proneification on

Comments

• slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    This game is basically a RPG.

And it is really P2W welcomed.

A complete stupid PVE plus a complete broken PVP in both class balance and match making. I mean this is just like a browser game with difficulity set to EASY.
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2014
    This game is basically a RPG.

And it is really P2W welcomed.

A complete stupid PVE plus a complete broken PVP in both class balance and match making. I mean this is just like a browser game with difficulity set to EASY.

Sooo...what are you still doing lurking around? :confused:
  • berzergeraberzergera Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rant

how you are not banned from trolling on this forum i have no idea. Probably you were banned and made a new troll account few days ago.
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    A bit about me:

- I'm a chick in her mid 20s, I play with my husband most times.

Much wow, how very humble of you.

By chick you mean the offspring of a chicken? rofl.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    berzergera wrote: »
    how you are not banned from trolling on this forum i have no idea. Probably you were banned and made a new troll account few days ago.

Rant=to talk loudly and in a way that shows anger : to complain in a way that is unreasonable.

I'm sorry, so me being happy about the game and basically saying "thank you!" is complaining and ranting? And you accuse me of all kinds of other stuff as well.

I am reading the forums for many months. It is only very recently that I decided to make an account, basically to answer a CW that was complaining without reason, because that pissed me off.

Might have been a bad idea. People like you just spread hate.
    demidogz wrote: »
    Much wow, how very humble of you.

By chick you mean the offspring of a chicken? rofl.

May I ask what did I do to actually provoke such a response?
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Heh. It was the R10s and perfects coming up so soon after "you don't need to work for it almost at all" that did it for me.

At that point it went from "person gives perspective" to "lolwut trollpost?"

Getting R10s and perfects is...less easy than you'd think. Or a lot more expensive than is sensible.
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    May I ask what did I do to actually provoke such a response?

Let's see... you could rephrase that to...

"I'm married and I play with my husband often"

Because your age and "sexiness" isn't really relevant to your thread subject. (apologies if a little bit harsh)

Anyway regarding your original post, I agree on most points especially
    Well... it's the thing that you don't need to work for it almost at all. This is amazing for a couple that runs a business and has lots of real life commitments. You can mostly level up (I never did this myself though, my husband does it for me), get boon, buy best gear instantly. Things changed a bit with Tenacity, but not a lot, since all we do is PvP, so gear came to us anyway.

Once you have all Rank 10s, and Perfect armor and weapon enchant, you are suddenly desired by the top guilds. You got me right, you don't even need to be a great player. All you have to do is read the forums, and play the class people complain the most about. Right now, that would be the Trickster Rogue, but the GWF is not far behind. I wish I had a geared HR too (and I will soon), because I know they can be just as OP.

But on the other hand I strongly disagree with
    So, to put things in perspective, this game makes it extremely easy for you to have fun. Get maxed gear, get BiS PvP spec, but more importantly - CLASS. Class will offer you 75% advantage in PvP. Never get attached to any char. Ditch them as they become a gimp - totally underpowered. This happens every few months, as the developers fix unintented behavior such as Tenebrous Enchants and so on. Ride the tide while it lasts - have fun!

There could be some ways (or not) to have fun in NW, but getting maxed gear, BiS PvP spec and being the optimal class owning PvP as a result is not at all fun, it's just the "I need to win" spirit.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    Heh. It was the R10s and perfects coming up so soon after "you don't need to work for it almost at all" that did it for me.

At that point it went from "person gives perspective" to "lolwut trollpost?"

Getting R10s and perfects is...less easy than you'd think. Or a lot more expensive than is sensible.

I did say in the title I'm a customer. That means I buy stuff with real money and keep the game running. My husband does the same thing. We are both happy to be able to contribute to the development efforts with the little we have. Thinking about it more, we do work, in real life, for the money we use.

However, the other subscription MMO I played didn't offer me this opportunity, so I had to "farm" and other such boring stuff, leading to me leaving the game.
    demidogz wrote: »
    Let's see... you could rephrase that to...

"I'm married and I play with my husband often"

Because your age and "sexiness" isn't really relevant to your thread subject. (apologies if a little bit harsh)

Anyway regarding your original post, I agree on most points especially

But on the other hand I strongly disagree with

There could be some ways (or not) to have fun in NW, but getting maxed gear, BiS PvP spec and being the optimal class owning PvP as a result is not at all fun, it's just the "I need to win" spirit.

Ahhaha I never thought about making it sound as "I'm sexy" lol. I'll change it. It's just how I talk with my girl friends. Maybe a bit too familiar for forums.

And yes I like to win! Guilty as charged! I will always be there using the most stupid OP class/spec :)
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The hate shows up quick in these forums.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A bit about me:

- I'm a woman in her mid 20s, I play with my husband most times.
    - I've never been a great gamer, my husband however started to play this game a lot, to the point we fought about it a bit. To calm me off, he leveled a char for me, geared it up and gave it to me as a present, so I can play with him. That worked! And more chars followed suit:
    - I have a GF, GWF, TR, CW, all maxed, all PvP spec, all played in numerous premades with and against the top guilds in the game, since the early stages of the game. Been through all kinds of crazy metas.
    - I have tried MMOs before, my husband would always try to make me play with him, never worked, and I'll explain why below.

So what's so good about this amazing game, from my point of view? Besides the nice combat system everybody loves?

All in all, a game that offers great opportunities for those willing to adapt - instead of complaining. Seen so many complaints in the forums, where instead of it, people could just reroll. Yes, of course, some will say "then it will be 5 GWF against 5 GWF in PvP". No it won't. Cryptic will periodically nerf OP classes. You just need to have one of each class - just in case - and choose the class that's most OP at that time.

Some might dismiss this topic as cynical, yet it is the truth extracted from months of experience. The happiest players in this game are those without attachments to silly toons/builds. Those that adapt, those that will always play the OP class/spec.

Thanks for reading!

PWI prays and sacrifices chickens for players like you.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Let's see.

A Rank 10 enchant is going for about 2.5M AD right now.

So for just twelve Rank 10's alone (because I have no doubt you spared no expense and have even R10 Darks in utility slots), not to mention the gear and everything else, you have spent 12x2.5M = 30M AD.

The current Zen/AD exchange rate is roughly 420 AD for 1 Zen. So you've spent 71428 Zen ~ $715 just for the enchants.

Wow.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I replied to proneification with a PM.

Seeing the content of this thread it seemed most sensible.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    That's your opinion. I don't think that spending money to have a good time is a bad thing. Some spend it in a bar, some spend it on a game. That discussion is meaningless.

@OP: Glad you're enjoying the game. Personally I don't care how much you spent on here. It's the amount of fun that matters. Just don't turn into those trolls that say "buy your gear or get lost" :)

When have you ever seen a similar game priced at ~$600+? Never, because that is not a worthwhile investment for the entertainment it provides. I can't complain if that is how people want to spend their money though. They are just paying for my free game while I farm my top tier stuff rather than buy it. All I'm saying is that it is a very poor investment choice.
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    godlysoul2 wrote: »
    When have you ever seen a similar game priced at ~$600+? Never, because that is not a worthwhile investment for the entertainment it provides. I can't complain if that is how people want to spend their money though. They are just paying for my free game while I farm my top tier stuff rather than buy it. All I'm saying is that it is a very poor investment choice.

Bad investment for you or everyone because you say it is?
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why should there be any moral standards for investing money? Or buying Rank 10's?

F2p is allways like that - im fine with it because i have a lot more time on my hands then the working population that is buying stuff. And if they are not working it shouldnt be our concern.
  • xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First and foremost, absolutely nothing wrong with the OP. Its fine. The simple message that gets delivered over and over in here but most refuse to hear it. (Be flexible, play to the characters strengths and try to win).

The responses are ridiculous, here is how I see them... 1. I am angry because you choose to spend your income on this game more than I do. 2. You purchase the best enchants for the classes that are already OP. 3. You try to win when you pvp.

I agree with the OP. When I don't feel like grinding its nice to drop a twenty grab something new and move on. Theirs always going to be someone who spends more money on this game or is better. I will get over it, you should too.

Where is that picture of smokey the bear with a tear drop that says "only you can prevent pvp failures".

Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ITT: Credit Card Warrior boasting about epeen.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'm not really sure "constantly switching to the FotM class" is the best advice ever, either.

Especially since if everyone did it, PvP would be even more awful than it is already. Imagine a match with just 10 permas. Or 10 sent IVs.

...god, the horror....
    edited April 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    I'm not really sure "constantly switching to the FotM class" is the best advice ever, either.

Especially since if everyone did it, PvP would be even more awful than it is already. Imagine a match with just 10 permas. Or 10 sent IVs.

...god, the horror....

I'm not giving advice to anybody.

I'm just saying what I do to enjoy myself. A few months ago, I had a period where I wanted to stick with the GF, then a GWF busted me like there was no tomorrow, even if I was throw him off point, I still died in the end. It was frustrating. After researching the class and talking to the best GFs on the deceased premerge Dragon shard, they had the same experiences. So I rolled a GWF and a TR. After I had lots of fun with tenebrous procs and 60K lashing blades, I got bored. I rolled a CW. I actually managed to make it work - when I was in full guild party etc. etc. etc. Whenever I tried a bit more on the CW, I was promptly put in my place by some GWF or something that I knew they were not even good - I owned them on my own GWF like nothing.

So now I'm playing with a HR, and I main a TR and a GWF sometimes as well. Dusted off the TR so I can play with Shocking Execution, and boy is it fun. Sometimes I use a Perfect Vorpal instead of Bilethorn just see how high I can hit.

As for the GWF, it's basically my "team needs carrying" class. I just go in and faceroll. If I'm dying, I pop emblem. If I'm still dying, I call a DC. If there's none, I run off the node and somebody else switches with me, I sprint for a pot, I return at 100% HP and kill everybody on point.

So what I'm trying to say is...

Enjoy yourself. Some things are badly broken. Don't insist on using them. Just move on.

As for those all perma all GWF matches, never gonna happen. Stealth is going to be nerfed, GWF is going to be... modified.

Next OP class, please!
  • pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    berzergera wrote: »

why should he be banned from expressing his opinon? i to think the pvp in this game is badly made and AWFULY balanced. i still somewhat enjoy pve tho. but countering freedom of speech is a dead end.
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    that`s kind of weird stuf to talk about reroll, who doesn`t level herself :D
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Failed troll, OP, failed troll.
    edited April 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    Failed troll, OP, failed troll.

I don't get people that just post insults. I get people that disagree with me. That's OK, I disagree with many things in the forums, but not gonna call them names and insults, I will either stay away (if I have nothing good to say), or try to post my reasoning about why I disagree.

When I see posts that just throw an insult here and there without any reasoning, I'm just wondering why that person actually lost time to write it.

So you might want to explain why do you think I'm a troll? Where I did nothing but say thanks in a nice way.

I think people might have been happier if I came here and started to throw mud at PWI&Cryptic, because it's bad to think nice thoughts about something these days. You gotta be unhappy, it's cooler.

Well, guess what, I'm happy :) Hate me.
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ITT: Give me attention
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't get people that just post insults. I get people that disagree with me. That's OK, I disagree with many things in the forums, but not gonna call them names and insults, I will either stay away (if I have nothing good to say), or try to post my reasoning about why I disagree.

When I see posts that just throw an insult here and there without any reasoning, I'm just wondering why that person actually lost time to write it.

So you might want to explain why do you think I'm a troll? Where I did nothing but say thanks in a nice way.

I think people might have been happier if I came here and started to throw mud at PWI&Cryptic, because it's bad to think nice thoughts about something these days. You gotta be unhappy, it's cooler.

Well, guess what, I'm happy :) Hate me.

Well as long as you are having fun. I mean we all spend money on stuff that is fun. The comment I made about pwi praying for players like you goes the same for me on other hobbies. I collect pre 1930 US stamps, I can go months between purchases, not because I want to, but because of the cost. I already have all the cheaper ones.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You go girl! Let the haters hate, the whiners whine, and the players play!
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Generally agree with most of the statements.

Good post