test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cw... How to best a perma tr

omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Library
ok! I have the lantern but these permas come over stun you and take over half your health in less then a nano second if not kill you first off. if your not dead you throw up your lantern, but wait he was not close enough and it did not work or maybe he was and you got him on the ropes but well you did not have 40k health to see it thorough. But that's ok you can try your lantern again in 3 min... 3min!

ok can someone give me tips on how to kill a perma as a CW? I am spellstorm slotted with choke, ray of enfeeblement, conduit and chill strike? I can change my powers up but to what?
A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
Post edited by omgudied2 on

Comments

• schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    omgudied2 wrote: »
    ok! I have the lantern but these permas come over stun you and take over half your health in less then a nano second if not kill you first off. if your not dead you throw up your lantern, but wait he was not close enough and it did not work or maybe he was and you got him on the ropes but well you did not have 40k health to see it thorough. But that's ok you can try your lantern again in 3 min... 3min!

ok can someone give me tips on how to kill a perma as a CW? I am spellstorm slotted with choke, ray of enfeeblement, conduit and chill strike? I can change my powers up but to what?

You cant mybe if 2 or 3 CWs in u pt you can aoe it but alone if you try aoe you only kill her shadow and he will gain rapid ap and SE will come soon.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lol, I fought one last night and had shard in one of my encounter slots. Well the TR was geared he hit HARD! I managed to get away keep him dotted and semi slowed dropped shard but didn't push it... I then proceeded to fight and manuever around it finally it blew up unexpectedly and he was prone! I started my rotation and when he was about to get up I choked him, continued and dropped another shard as soon as he came down i rolled the shard on him and he was prone again...

I was laughing my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off, I ended up killing him with only 15% hp left but it was awesome! This tactic will probably never work again but it was hilarious!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • dakburdakbur Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I've been considering swapping repel for steal time for TRs specifically... Not sure its worth it though
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Repel is worthless in PVP now anyway because of Tenacity and everyone running around as Halflings with large CC resist.

And Steal Time is easily dodgeable.

It's pretty much impossible for a CW to beat a good perma-TR. When I encounter one, I just leave. There's no point in even trying to fight it.
  • millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Steal time works. Even if you don't land the final hit, the wind up portion will drain his stealth bar. If he dodges out of it, the reduced stealth bar will still mess up his rotation even if you didn't force his stealth to break. This will either result in him leaving, becoming visible while he waits for a cooldown on shadow strike, or him going dodge crazy (meaning not attacking you, if feated dodge restores 10% of his stealth), to buy some time for one of his stealth refreshing encounters to come off cooldown. Oppressive force also works good. Cast them back to back in quick succession and he will almost be dead. Typically they aren't expecting you to cast steal time so they aren't looking for it. I know when I play my TR i stare at my stealth bar more than I do my opponent. If he starts throwing daggers, just dodge a lot. They get damage bonuses if he throws a bunch at you in a row. Shield in tab also does a lot to increase your survivability. A stalemate isnt a bad thing. The TR only wins if he is tying up more than one of you on the point.
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lol, I fought one last night and had shard in one of my encounter slots. Well the TR was geared he hit HARD! I managed to get away keep him dotted and semi slowed dropped shard but didn't push it... I then proceeded to fight and manuever around it finally it blew up unexpectedly and he was prone! I started my rotation and when he was about to get up I choked him, continued and dropped another shard as soon as he came down i rolled the shard on him and he was prone again...

I was laughing my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off, I ended up killing him with only 15% hp left but it was awesome! This tactic will probably never work again but it was hilarious!

This is a better tactic than ST, or IT. Like most Anti Perma tactics they usually win, but it does work on occasion and it is very funny :) You can prone a stealthed rogue if you happen to hit him with a randomly directed meatball.
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Steal time works. Even if you don't land the final hit, the wind up portion will drain his stealth bar. If he dodges out of it, the reduced stealth bar will still mess up his rotation even if you didn't force his stealth to break. This will either result in him leaving, becoming visible while he waits for a cooldown on shadow strike, or him going dodge crazy (meaning not attacking you, if feated dodge restores 10% of his stealth), to buy some time for one of his stealth refreshing encounters to come off cooldown. Oppressive force also works good. Cast them back to back in quick succession and he will almost be dead. Typically they aren't expecting you to cast steal time so they aren't looking for it. I know when I play my TR i stare at my stealth bar more than I do my opponent. If he starts throwing daggers, just dodge a lot. They get damage bonuses if he throws a bunch at you in a row. Shield in tab also does a lot to increase your survivability. A stalemate isnt a bad thing. The TR only wins if he is tying up more than one of you on the point.

Only if you meet some mixed build cuz i slot Tencious Cloncealment 90 % reduce the stealth drain and if i see CW casting steal time or OF i use bait and my ap is up waiting for Shoked out or Courage breaker -90% dmg to me -10% dmg to enemy .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited April 2014
    drscone wrote: »
    This is a better tactic than ST, or IT. Like most Anti Perma tactics they usually win, but it does work on occasion and it is very funny :) You can prone a stealthed rogue if you happen to hit him with a randomly directed meatball.

LMAO yes just drop a meatball and fight around it, sometimes they don't come to you because its there and you just durp them to death... Lol try it even if you fail its funny.

edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Repel is worthless in PVP now anyway because of Tenacity and everyone running around as Halflings with large CC resist.

I hate comments like this.

I ignored it for a long time too, but Repel is absolutely NOT, worthless. Situational, yes... but worthless... NO.

Basically, don't use it on a GWFs "unstoppable", GF face with shield up, or TR "Impossible to Catch." Yes, it is occasionally resisted, but that is more the exception, than the rule. Even if it is, it has a very short CD ~6 sec, you'll get another chance soon enough. Its great for interrupting casts, kiting, and stopping reds from reviving their fallen.

Unless you are an idiot spamming it at your first random target after CD is up, it can serve you well & with 3/3 as an encounter it does better damage than Icy Rays, especially if you consider the ~half CD.
    edited April 2014
    dakbur wrote: »
    I hate comments like this.

I ignored it for a long time too, but Repel is absolutely NOT, worthless. Situational, yes... but worthless... NO.

Basically, don't use it on a GWFs "unstoppable", GF face with shield up, or TR "Impossible to Catch." Yes, it is occasionally resisted, but that is more the exception, than the rule. Even if it is, it has a very short CD ~6 sec, you'll get another chance soon enough. Its great for interrupting casts, kiting, and stopping reds from reviving their fallen.

Unless you are an idiot spamming it at your first random target after CD is up, it can serve you well & with 3/3 as an encounter it does better damage than Icy Rays, especially if you consider the ~half CD.

Best used when up on second ledge above point and you are being attacked by a melee, get position and floof off the ledge with you!

• slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Slot steal time and call a teammate, or you will never beat a good perma...
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    If you're not one of the top 4-5 CWs (who don't run repel... or steal time... or icy terrain), whatever you do, I'll find you, and kill you, on both my perma and my GWF (and also on my own CW and GF as well, but more work to do), and it's gonna be easy. On the GWF I can let you take me to 25% and still kill you. The top CW don't necessarily kill me either - they are smart enough to call help and 2vs1 me to death. I might still take them with me them before going down though...

So yeah, if you use Repels, Steal Times, Icy Terrains and Lanterns etc. on your "PvP" Renegade (lulz), you can at least make sure I'll have a good laugh before I kill you.

... just to note, my halfling GWF resists like 80% of the Repels, deflects/racial. You're more than welcomed to use it, but don't QQ afterwards that your class is bad when you're actually a skill-less, sub-optimal race, sub-optimal rotation, sub-optimal spec/everything player who wants to play with the big guys.
    edited April 2014
    Won't hear me QQ, equal geared GWF>CW 1v1
    edited April 2014
    If by "big guys" you mean "PVP premades" then no, I'm terribly not interested in doing PVP premade stuff. Go right ahead and bash each other in your PVP guild e-peen stroking events.

All I want to do is to be able to join an occasional PVP match and not have it be this unnecessarily frustrating and humiliating affair. That's all. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I rather resent the idea that one must have a perfect PVP toon to even *enjoy* PVP. I'm not talking about winning every match. Just to have matches that aren't hopelessly lopsided or matches filled with one specific broken class that CWs are pretty much unable to defeat.

PVP ought to be *accessible* to all. Not that everyone should be able to be uber-good at it. Just that it ought to at least complement the game experience in a favorable way. Right now, being a CW in PVP just an exercise in frustration and that should change.

My gear is "okay", I have the Thaumaturge Grim set and 3 pieces of PVP jewelry (I think it's the Sorcerous Defiance set) and that gives me 1k in tenacity. No Emblem, and no enchants yet, because I'm poor and I'm working on building up my PVE gear first and foremost. I don't use the meatball because I can't figure out how to use it in Spell Mastery, guess I am just so used to using it in PVE that actually targeting it and directing it to a specific place is just weird to me. (Just tried it in a match and that thing was flying all over the place, lol) So I generally use Icy Rays in spell mastery (feated), Entangle, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Chill Strike. It's a good match for me if my record is, say, 5-10, with a bazillion assists. I guess that is the best I should hope for? I would hope not though.

But what I hear you saying, is that I should have an INT/CON Halfling CW to even set foot in PVP. That doesn't seem right to me.
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Repel is a lot less useful than it was. Generally those that don't resist it can be dealt with anyway. It's precisely the ones that do that you need to repel most :/
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    If by "big guys" you mean "PVP premades" then no, I'm terribly not interested in doing PVP premade stuff. Go right ahead and bash each other in your PVP guild e-peen stroking events.

All I want to do is to be able to join an occasional PVP match and not have it be this unnecessarily frustrating and humiliating affair. That's all. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I rather resent the idea that one must have a perfect PVP toon to even *enjoy* PVP. I'm not talking about winning every match. Just to have matches that aren't hopelessly lopsided or matches filled with one specific broken class that CWs are pretty much unable to defeat.

PVP ought to be *accessible* to all. Not that everyone should be able to be uber-good at it. Just that it ought to at least complement the game experience in a favorable way. Right now, being a CW in PVP just an exercise in frustration and that should change.

My gear is "okay", I have the Thaumaturge Grim set and 3 pieces of PVP jewelry (I think it's the Sorcerous Defiance set) and that gives me 1k in tenacity. No Emblem, and no enchants yet, because I'm poor and I'm working on building up my PVE gear first and foremost. I don't use the meatball because I can't figure out how to use it in Spell Mastery, guess I am just so used to using it in PVE that actually targeting it and directing it to a specific place is just weird to me. (Just tried it in a match and that thing was flying all over the place, lol) So I generally use Icy Rays in spell mastery (feated), Entangle, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Chill Strike. It's a good match for me if my record is, say, 5-10, with a bazillion assists. I guess that is the best I should hope for? I would hope not though.

But what I hear you saying, is that I should have an INT/CON Halfling CW to even set foot in PVP. That doesn't seem right to me.

I don't participate in guild events and epeen stroking, I know this is just a game, hence it is as important to me as game should be (i.e. not a lot...).

As for imbalanced PvP matches, they should be fixed, yet they aren't, most of the times I PvP I'm put against fresh 60s and I have maxed chars specifically built for PvP only that pretty much won almost each game they played, but... matchmaking thinks me and my friends belong with the r5 PvE people. OK then. Not much I can do. I can't even leave, I have to stay to the end and make people angry, you know, just bad karma.

And you can play other races other than halfling but they are suboptimal. On my CW, when I face another mage, I can perform a meatball combo on him, but he will miss me most of the time because I "escape" from the CC before shard lands on my head. So I CC him and it's game over. Con is also not mandatory, but it's good to have, each HP point counts.

And you can expect more than 5-10 for sure. My advice for positive kill/death ratios and relatively good performance, even on whatever race other than halfling you might have:

- make friends in PvP. Do not go in alone, always queue as a semi-premade, 3-4 friends. I'd prefer GWF/GF/HR/DC friends, with PvP sepc and decent gear, that know to play their class and know what their role is
    - do not be a hero, avoid all 1vs1s that you are unsure of
    - learn to move around and help your team. Don't be shy to ask for help (this is why you need to play with people you know, because you are assured you are not in a team of idiots)
    - start learning to use meatball properly. It's not easy and it might take months. PvP is not easy.
    - spec for PvP. Yes, I said it. take Toughness. Take Severe Reaction. Max Con instead of Cha. CW are already good in PvE, and PvE is easy and dumb. You can play as a PvP CW.
    edited April 2014
    1. I am not in a PVP guild. I don't want to be in a PVP guild. My guild right now is a social, casual PVE-focused guild. And that is totally fine with me. My guild only rarely does PVP premades and then only when we're bored. I think I've done maybe 1 or 2 in my entire time playing.

2. Yup I have learned to pretty much run away whenever I see the TR approaching in stealth.

3. The only way I can use the meatball right now is the same way that I use it in PVE, that is, not in spell mastery.

4. And no I'm not going to "spec for PVP" because that would severely hurt me in PVE. Severe Reaction is worthless in PVE and I would be giving up a great PVE feat if I were to take that. If I max CON instead of CHA then my ability to do well in places like Castle Never goes way down.

I have a few pieces of PVP gear that give me about 1k in Tenacity. That's pretty much as far as I'll go for the moment. When I'm satisfied with my PVE gear then I'll put a Lesser Soulforged into my PVP gear. But it will be a while.

My point here is that I shouldn't have to totally destroy my PVE effectiveness if I want to simply "do okay" in PVP. Again I am not asking to win every game. I'm not even asking to win half the games or anything like that. I'm not expecting to do well 1v1 vs a TR or GWF. Their classes are better designed for PVP. I get that. I just don't think that it ought to be *so* painful to be a CW in PVP that it means making such extreme sacrifices for the PVE portion of the game where CWs do really well (and, by the way, is the whole raison d'etre for the game). I already made sacrifices when I had to get the gear that had Tenacity in it, and I put points into encounters that are only useful in PVP anyway (like Icy Rays) when I could have used those power points elsewhere.

And if you think PVE is "easy and dumb" then what are you even doing in this PVE-focused game?
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Slot steal time and call a teammate, or you will never beat a good perma...

You'll never beat a good perma with steal time slotted either. And you'll be missing one encounter power.

My main is a CW and I leveled a TR to see what it's like on the other side, and whenever a CW uses steal time I just laugh.

I did fight one really good CW recently on my TR. He seemed to be specced totally for movement and was really hard to catch and take down, and was able to get away enough to keep meatballs flying at everyone.

No steal time, icy terrain, lantern etc bad ideas from him.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Well the reality is, PVP is horribly imbalanced and you will never beat an elite perma-tr no matter who you are as a cw.

Don't believe anyone who tells you top CW can own a TR or GWF. Go on twitch and youtube and watch the premade matches between top pvp guilds such as synergy, enemy team etc. CW always gets <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in 1v1 scenarios. CW always has to call backup.

But what you can do is jump around, use shard to lure it away at certain spots, pop emblem if you have it and call for backup.

Also, don't go into those 1v1 situations because you will lose if the TR is good.
    edited April 2014
    How is someone suboptimal, and a bad player because your class can Permastealth with no disadvantage, and as you said resist 80%? Sounds to me TR needs some rebalancing if that's the case!

If you're not one of the top 4-5 CWs (who don't run repel... or steal time... or icy terrain), whatever you do, I'll find you, and kill you, on both my perma and my GWF (and also on my own CW and GF as well, but more work to do), and it's gonna be easy. On the GWF I can let you take me to 25% and still kill you. The top CW don't necessarily kill me either - they are smart enough to call help and 2vs1 me to death. I might still take them with me them before going down though...

So yeah, if you use Repels, Steal Times, Icy Terrains and Lanterns etc. on your "PvP" Renegade (lulz), you can at least make sure I'll have a good laugh before I kill you.

... just to note, my halfling GWF resists like 80% of the Repels, deflects/racial. You're more than welcomed to use it, but don't QQ afterwards that your class is bad when you're actually a skill-less, sub-optimal race, sub-optimal rotation, sub-optimal spec/everything player who wants to play with the big guys.

edited April 2014
    How is someone suboptimal, and a bad player because your class can Permastealth with no disadvantage, and as you said resist 80%? Sounds to me TR needs some rebalancing if that's the case!

I'll explain what I meant by suboptimal:

- you're not a halfling
    - you are not running meatball
    - you're trying some idiotic combos with Icy Terrain, Steal Time and so on while I'm laughing my butt off
    - you have some crazy PvE spec with low life so I can end you in one rotation

If you were at least a halfling CW, you could resist some CCs or shorten their duration yourself.

When I said I resist 80% of Repels I was talking about my GWF. Cause you can try all day long to repel my TR, because the only time you'll see it is when it's on Impossible to Catch :) You're welcomed to waste encounters on me though.

As for rebalancing, sure, do it, I don't really care. I'll move to the other class that is overpowered. There's always gonna be one - I learned this much from my months of playing PvP here.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1. I am not in a PVP guild. I don't want to be in a PVP guild. My guild right now is a social, casual PVE-focused guild. And that is totally fine with me. My guild only rarely does PVP premades and then only when we're bored. I think I've done maybe 1 or 2 in my entire time playing.

2. Yup I have learned to pretty much run away whenever I see the TR approaching in stealth.

3. The only way I can use the meatball right now is the same way that I use it in PVE, that is, not in spell mastery.

4. And no I'm not going to "spec for PVP" because that would severely hurt me in PVE. Severe Reaction is worthless in PVE and I would be giving up a great PVE feat if I were to take that. If I max CON instead of CHA then my ability to do well in places like Castle Never goes way down.

I have a few pieces of PVP gear that give me about 1k in Tenacity. That's pretty much as far as I'll go for the moment. When I'm satisfied with my PVE gear then I'll put a Lesser Soulforged into my PVP gear. But it will be a while.

My point here is that I shouldn't have to totally destroy my PVE effectiveness if I want to simply "do okay" in PVP. Again I am not asking to win every game. I'm not even asking to win half the games or anything like that. I'm not expecting to do well 1v1 vs a TR or GWF. Their classes are better designed for PVP. I get that. I just don't think that it ought to be *so* painful to be a CW in PVP that it means making such extreme sacrifices for the PVE portion of the game where CWs do really well (and, by the way, is the whole raison d'etre for the game). I already made sacrifices when I had to get the gear that had Tenacity in it, and I put points into encounters that are only useful in PVP anyway (like Icy Rays) when I could have used those power points elsewhere.

And if you think PVE is "easy and dumb" then what are you even doing in this PVE-focused game?

Don't invest too much in your pvp gear as you will have the new black ice set when mod 3 comes out. I am a very casual pvper like you and am not going to waste time and ad on anything pvp until mod 3 hits.
    edited April 2014
    Ok, well that's more clear... I run meatball! However a TR throwing blades at me in stealth endlessly is pretty lame. I think usage of AT wills should take you out of stealth making you need to be more tactful instead of Derping around killing people and never leaving stealth.

I can kill an equal geared TR, but its luck based... I gotta get him to blow his big guns early and get him to tunnel me out of stealth. Other than that nothing much I can do. As for GWF, they just have to much mobility, damage, and healing. If If I fight one equal geared I can win but like the TR, I have to force them into a mistake, if he don't fall for it I get zerged and die.

I like the halfling racial, I hate being a tiny class.

I'll explain what I meant by suboptimal:

- you're not a halfling
    - you are not running meatball
    - you're trying some idiotic combos with Icy Terrain, Steal Time and so on while I'm laughing my butt off
    - you have some crazy PvE spec with low life so I can end you in one rotation

If you were at least a halfling CW, you could resist some CCs or shorten their duration yourself.

When I said I resist 80% of Repels I was talking about my GWF. Cause you can try all day long to repel my TR, because the only time you'll see it is when it's on Impossible to Catch :) You're welcomed to waste encounters on me though.

As for rebalancing, sure, do it, I don't really care. I'll move to the other class that is overpowered. There's always gonna be one - I learned this much from my months of playing PvP here.