test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Calculation of the 4 Ioun Stones Max Stats

checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
INTRODUCTION: There are many threads asking which Ioun Stone gives the best stats, or which is best for which class, and various other questions. The desire is to procure the best possible augmentation companion so as to boost character stats (not GS). The discussion leaves out the Cat and the Fawn generally. But, these companions also augment and are beneficial for certain players under various circumstances. In fact, the Fawn, with extremely rare accessory choices (2x lvl 55 Seal of the Executioners..Regen stat 478 + offensive slot for Radiant 10) can boost the One stat of Regeneration by over 6000 at level 30. Yes, really. But, this post is not going to include a discussion of the Cat or the Fawn statistically.

COST TO LEVEL TO 30:
Ioun Stone of Radiance = 1.25 Million AD
Ioun Stone of Might = 1.25 Million AD
Ioun Stone of Allure = 750k AD
Icosahedron Stone = none

ABILITY TO PROCURE:
Ioun Stone of Radiance = Special promotion.
Ioun Stone of Might = Auction House (sometimes) or 1000 Tarmalane Trade Bars (which are Character bound and gained from opening lockboxes; some lockboxes have Tarmalane Trade Bar jackpots).
Ioun Stone of Allure = Zen Shop, Auction House
Icosahedron Stone = Reward for Foundry Quest Creations (top ranking)

The most difficult of the Augmentation Stone to Procure is the Icosahedron Stone, then the Radiant (ahem), then the Might, then the Allure.

ACTIVE BONUSES AT LEVEL 30:
Ioun Stone of Radiance = 165 Life Steal/ 165 Deflection
Ioun Stone of Might = 5% Stamina Regeneration (This affects Guard meter as well)
Ioun Stone of Allure = 10% Chance to Slow Opponents
Icosahedron Stone = 10% EXP Gain

All of the Active Bonuses can be beneficial after Mod 3 for Level 60 Characters. With the new system of EXP counting towards special rewards, even the Icosahedron's active bonus will be good. So, you can select a stone based on the active bonus (and the cost to achieve it).

COLOR:
Ioun Stone of Radiance = Very Light White (almost translucent)
Ioun Stone of Might = Red
Ioun Stone of Allure = Blue
Icosahedron Stone = Purple
Who knows? Maybe you want it to match your outfit.... Moving on...

MAXIMUM STATS:
This is what players want to know the most. Well, I hate to burst your bubble. But three out of four of the Stones give equal statistics. Yes. Mathematically, they are the same. Only the Icosahedron Stone can give greater stats overall. Charisma should not be included in the difference, because the charisma bonus would affect any companion equally. Therefore, it is mathematically a zero sum gain. For the mathematical proof....

Stone of Radiance:
Level 30: 300 Hit points (= 75 stat points) + 4 categories of about 155 stats each.
3 Rune Stones = 900 points (3xlvl 10s...doesn't matter which kind)
2xDread Rings = 960 points
1xDread Waist = 400 stat points + 320 hit points (= 80 stat points)
3x Enchantments = 990 points (assuming lvl 10 special enchants like Savage, Brutal, Cruel).

Total Stats Boost: 4025

Stone of Might:
Level 30: 300 Hit points (= 75 stat points) + 4 categories of about 155 stats each.
3 Rune Stones = 900 points (3xlvl 10s...doesn't matter which kind)
2xDread Rings = 960 points
1xDread Waist = 400 stat points + 320 hit points (= 80 stat points)
3x Enchantments = 990 points (assuming lvl 10 special enchants like Savage, Brutal, Cruel).

Total Stat Boost: 4025

Ioun Stone of Allure:
Level 30: 300 Hit points (=75 stat points) + 3 categories of about 192 stats each.
2xRune Stones = 600 points (2x lvl 10s...doesn't matter which kind)
1xEldritch Runestone in defense slot = 10% boost of ALL stats on the stone
1xDread Ring = 480 points
1xDread Necklace = 480 points
1xAncient Royal Priest Icon = 165 power + 133 Crit + 165 recovery
3x Enchantments = 990 points (assuming level 10 special enchants like Savage, Brutal, Cruel).

Total Stats before 10% boost = 3664
Total Stats post 10% boost = 4030

Icosahedron Stone
Level 30: 300 Hit points (=75 stat points) + 3 categories of about 192 stats each.
2xRune Stones = 600 points (2x lvl 10s...doesn't matter which kind)
1xEldritch Runestone in defense slot = 10% boost of ALL stats on the stone
1xGlacial Hrimnir Ring = 480 stats
1xFrozen Hrimnir Ring = 480 stats
1xIcy Hrimnir Necklace = 480 stats
600 hit point bonus from Hrimnir set = (150 stat points)
60 movement bonus from Hrimnir set
3x Enchantments = 990 points (assuming level 10 special enchants like Savage, Brutal, Cruel).

Total Stat Before 10% Boost = 3891
Total Stats After 10% Boost = 4280.

CONCLUSION
So, the choice of stones can come down to the active companion bonus that you desire, the stats that you desire to augment particularly, and whether you plan on maximizing the enchants in the augmentation companion. What you put into your augmentation stone matters as far as total stats. But, mathematically, with maximums calculated, the stones are basically equal. Maximum stats based on equipment chosen or available may change over time. But the math will continue to show equality.

Enjoy!
LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Spectacular. I wonder if Cryptic deliberately made the stones relatively equal like this or if it just sorta... happened.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't see active bonuses calculated. Allure gives +330 points at rank 30, giving it more stat points than any other stone to date. Additionally, most people don't have full rank 10s lying around. Bonus calculations for rank 8 and 6 enchants/runes would be helpful.
  • bglnodabglnoda Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nice post!

the thing that interests me as GWF with radiance stone are:

When you put rings/belt with 243 power and 133 def or 133 recovery, do you get bonus from rec/def stat to your armP/power? I have GWF feats to grant me extra power from def and extra armP from recovery.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First, Allure does not give 330 points Active bonus at level 30; the Stone of Radiance does. I did not include this in the maximum stats calculation for the simple reason that it needs to be compared to the other active bonuses. However, it does affect GS, increasing by 330 (if you want higher GS). Hence, I stated that maximum stats based upon the stones, enchants, and accessory choices. If you want that active bonus and a higher GS from it, go for it.

Calculations based upon Rank 8 enchants/rune stones.

Stone of Radiance: total stats 3515 (does NOT include Active Bonus)
    Stone of Might: total stats 3515
    Stone of Allure: total stats before 9% boost 3234. total stats after 9% boost 3525.
    Icosahedron Ioun Stone: total stats before 9% boost 3461. total stats after 9% boost 3772.

Calculations based on Rank 6 enchants/rune stones.

Stone of Radiance: 3125 (does NOT include Active Bonus)
    Stone of Might: 3125
    Stone of Allure: total stats before 8% boost 2915. total stats after 8% boost 3090.
    Icosanedron Ioun Stone: total stats before 8% boost 3141. total stats after 8% boost 3392.

It is generally understood that to achieve statistical augmentation equality with the Stone of Might and Stone of Radiance, the Stone of Allure must have an Epic Eldritch in the Defense slot.

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sorry, kind of a totally off-topic question but... I'm assuming ioun stones, or any summoned companion for that matter, in open world pvp can be targetted and killed..?

So one shotting them from stealth will probably be a good idea prior to open confrontation, though I expect targetting a stone might be difficult because of its size and location around the neck, etc.

Thoughts..?

(And yes, very nice post).
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited April 2014
    Class specific bonuses do not apply to any of the stats in any of the augmentation stones. For example, slotting radiants in offensive slots will not double for Conqueror GFs. Thus, discussion of class to boost augmentation statistics is unnecessary.

• onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've always wondered. Are Isocahedral Ioun Stones account unlocks? Once you receive the award, do all your characters get one?
    edited April 2014
    First, augmentation stones cannot be killed by NPC mobs unlike other companions.
    Second, in PvP matches (non-open world), any summoned companion is not permitted.
    Third, I have not yet tested on the preview server in Open World PvP whether an augmentation stone can be killed. If they can, yes, it would be a good idea. My guess is that they will not be able to be targetted. The hitpoints are unlike other summoned companions at present. Therefore, I would assume that they remain unkillable/unable to target.

edited April 2014
    The Icosahedron stone, once earned, is available to all characters on the same account. It is account-bound.

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Looking at your numbers, you don't seem to have factored in that rings/belts etc can be enchanted, too. If we're assuming R10s IN ALL THE THINGS, then this adds 900 to everything except the allure, where it adds 990.

Edit, oh yeah, my bad.
    edited April 2014
    I did. They are the 3xenchantments = 990. I did not delineate the kind of slots available. It did not matter for maximum statistical comparison. To shorten the original post, I made it one line only. I apologize for the brevity.

I also used the special lvl 10 enchants like Brutal, Cruel, or Savage, since these will give 30 more points at level 10 then a simple lvl 10 enchant (like Radiant, Azure, etc). Does using simple lvl 10 enchants affect total stats?

Stone of Radiance (w/ 3x lvl 10 regular enchants) = 3935.
    Stone of Might (w/ 3x lvl 10 regular enchants) = 3935.
    Stone of Allure (w/3x lvl 10 regular enchants) = before 10% boost 3574. after 10% boost 3931.
    Icosahedron Stone w/ 3x lvl 10 regular enchants) = before 10% boost 3801. after 10% boost 4181.

Mathematically, the Stone of Allure must have an epic Eldritch runestone in the defense slot to be statistically equal.

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Yep, I'm just blind.

Of course, while this is a very nice exercise, it does somewhat assume you have available ALL THE AD EVAR, at which point choice of augment becomes somewhat academic anyway, as you're presumably massively overgeared for everything PvE at that stage, and augments don't work in PvP.

Assuming purp icosahedron is out of the reach of most peeps, it might be more useful to factor in more practical concerns for the slightly poorer, such as "Allure is easiest to obtain, plus is blue by default" which means Allure is a hands-down winner (costs about 500k on the AH, and you get a blue augment. The others cost 500k just to UPGRADE to blue).
    edited April 2014
    That is why I included a section on ABILITY TO PROCURE and the Cost to upgrade to level 30 in my post. I do not assume everyone has access to millions in AD. If the companions are compared to each other without any AD for upgrading, the Stone of Allure is by far the best choice. All 6 slots will be open for the player. It gives 7% chance to slow, and is readily available in the Auction House (or Zen store).

I wanted to be as objective as possible with regards to maximum statistics. Nor, did I desire this to become an advertisement for purchases. Players will play as they want. I am hoping that for whatever reason a player is guided to make decisions for the augmentation stones that the player can be helped in seeing the POTENTIAL maximum statistics that the stone can provide.

But, good point.

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good luck getting the icosahedron stone. Only two Foundry authors have ever posted getting one. The achievements required to get it are onerous.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • mvffin1mvffin1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unless something has changed, I don't think the Hrimnir set bonus works with companions. Anyone with an ico stone that can test?
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've always wondered. Are Isocahedral Ioun Stones account unlocks? Once you receive the award, do all your characters get one?

Yes. All foundry rewards are account wide.

Also nice to see that the Icosahedron Stone has higher stats than the others.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mvffin1 wrote: »
    Unless something has changed, I don't think the Hrimnir set bonus works with companions. Anyone with an ico stone that can test?

Working on it. Still not there yet though.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have all 4 ioul stones and this is my option :
    Stone of Radiance in purple beat all other cuz 330 bonus stat also he have regen and ls ...
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Stone of Radiance in purple beat all other cuz 330 bonus stat also he have regen and ls ...

Seriously all 4? Including the foundry stone? I've not heard of any of your foundry missions. Perhaps you can list the ones that got featured.
    edited April 2014

First, I think you misunderstood the caveat at the beginning of the thread, where I intentionally put the Active bonuses separate, so that comparison of the statistics could remain equal. To state that the Stone of Radiance is the best because it adds on the 330 from the active bonus is illogical for mathematical purposes. As a player choice, such as you are example, some will favor the active bonus of 330 at level 30 for the Stone of Radiance over a 10% chance to Slow, a 5% Stamina/Guard Meter regeneration, or a 10% EXP bonus. That is your choice. Yes, the 330 adds to your GS where the others do not. But, buffing up GS is not part of this discussion.

As far as the regeneration statistic, I intentionally stayed away from the particular stats of each stone. The Stone of Radiance is unique in having 7 categories covered at level 30 (with the active bonus included): Hit Points, Power, Critical Strike, Recovery, Deflection, Regeneration, Life Steal. For some, the presence of regeneration may be a very important factor. However, rings and belts can add regeneration as well, as do the Dread and Hrimnir sets. It just means that slots are used up to balance with stats that the player wants. Finally, if you want regeneration, the Fawn is better by far.

In the end, I stand by the mathematical analysis. Three of the four stones are mathematically equivalent. In the end, the Active Bonus, the Ability to Obtain, and the Cost to Upgrade will be the deciding factors at which stone a player wants.

For me, I found all three stones (Radiance, Might, and Allure) all very adequate for purposes of PvP and PvE. I liked the Stone of Might's Stamina Regeneration at 5%. If I convert this statistically (like on the Artifact), it is equal to about 400 points. Plus, as one who plays a Conqueror GF (and already having 1800+ Regen), having more GM regen is always good. But, that is an individual player decision. In any case, happy augmentation all!

• kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Great post! Does someone know the cat stats?
    edited April 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Sorry, kind of a totally off-topic question but... I'm assuming ioun stones, or any summoned companion for that matter, in open world pvp can be targetted and killed..?

So one shotting them from stealth will probably be a good idea prior to open confrontation, though I expect targetting a stone might be difficult because of its size and location around the neck, etc.

Thoughts..?

(And yes, very nice post).

I went into the Preview Server in Icewind Dale Pass and asked a person in the PvP area to see if he could target my Summoned Ioun Stone. He could not. However, I was able to attack his Lillend easily. The Stone does not take damage even if I did. So, the Stone remains unkillable in the Campaign areas of Module 3.

• meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Icosahedron Stone = Purple

Well, not really. It looks almost the same as the Ioun Stone of Might - red. It seems like it has a purplish "tail", but if you don't look close, you can't see the difference between the Might and the Icosahedron. The only difference is, when you zoom in, you can see that the Icosahedron is a 20-sided gem, while the Might is a sphere.

XOPrSMm.jpg
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How do Bonding Runestones effect this comparison, if at all?
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll play the Devil's Advocate here, for "Food for Thought" purposes:

The OP is a bit misleading (unintentionally, I'm sure) because all an augment companion is is a PASS-THROUGH device: all it does is pass along whatever you equip it with to you the player (it's just a funnel).

Therefore, if you equip ALL augment companions (stones and even the cat and so on) with the same equipment to compare them you are completely missing the point (generally-speaking) because what you're comparing are the add-on equipment and enchantments against themselves.

If you equip each stone (and the cat and sword and whatever else is an augment) with 500 Power enchantment - it does't matter which augment companion you put it into - you'll always get the 500 Power. It's the same as comparing water from different material of pitcher: trying to determine which tastes better: wood, glass or plastic: it's still WATER.

The real difference among these augment companions is in the active bonuses - and what you can equip on them based on the equipment slots available - and hence which different kinds of equipment you can equip it with.

Hence: the primary differences will come from the equipment you put into them, not so much the augment companions themselves.

TL;DR: Augment companion differences are so slight it barely warrants a second thought: they are just funnels passing stats from gear and equips onto the player.

I don't personally put much stock into augment companions and I really don't think they're much better (or worse) than regular companions except in PvP and Group play (to avoid more screen clutter by character-type companions) - it just comes down to play-style.

Beyond that: they're just buckets - different colored buckets, maybe; but still *just buckets*.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Therefore, if you equip ALL augment companions (stones and even the cat and so on) with the same equipment to compare them

Uh...you cannot do that. They have different slots.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    Uh...you cannot do that. They have different slots.

This is precisely my POINT! LOL
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014

I hope your foundries are better-written than that somewhat unconvincing post, if indeed they exist at all.
  • drakkenfeldrakkenfel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited June 2014
    Good luck getting the icosahedron stone. Only two Foundry authors have ever posted getting one. The achievements required to get it are onerous.

Sounds like a worthy challenge. The hard part is getting folks to try our Foundry missions. With everyone's help someone could pull it off.

My mission: "Missing Daughters"

The other recommendation is to make multiple Foundry missions. Results are cumulative.
    Paladin.jpg
    @METH_SHADOWSTORM - Foundry author of:
    "The Sunnydale Campaign" - NWS-DKBEJ9OOM
    Episode 1: "Missing Daughters" - NW-DCX9IZBJB
    Episode 2: "A Date With Destiny" - NW-DHYEX5NKR - Featured: NW-DHFLDPWJV
    STO Foundry: "Safari So Good" - ST-HPRP2WFWI
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What about the black ice stone? Do you know what its stats (passive ones) max out at before adding gear/runestones to them?
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"