test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do I take screenshots?

kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 3,694 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The screen says it all. Unlike STO or CO, Print Screen doesn't seem to work. So how do I take screenshots in Neverwinter?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can bind a key - try /bind sysreq "screenshot_jpg"

It might be sysrequest or systemrequest for printscreen.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have no problems using [windows]+[print screen] in windows 8.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 3,694 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have no problems using [windows]+[print screen] in windows 8.

I have Vista. In any case, I will attempt bioshrike's solution when I am next in the game.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Also you can also type /screenshot into the chat bar. Though I recommend inspect mode first (pressing B).

I'm using windows 7 and though PRINT SCRN was broken for a couple weeks, it's been working again the last two or three for me (though I do use the ARC Client, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.)
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Print Screen copies the the screenshot to your clipboard. open an image editing program and paste the screenshot into it. This can be as simple as MS paint if you want, or your favorite image editing software.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you're accessing the game through Steam, you might have to use it's screenshot command, which is F12 iirc
    contents to be decided
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please also note that unless you use screenshot_jpg, it'll save the image as a TGA, which is a much bigger file. You can also use screenshot_ui_jpg (or something similar) if you specifically want to include the various UI elements - power bar, inventory window, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited March 2014
    syka08 wrote: »
    If you're accessing the game through Steam, you might have to use it's screenshot command, which is F12 iirc

That's most definitely not the issue. I don't use Steam.
    Print Screen copies the the screenshot to your clipboard. open an image editing program and paste the screenshot into it. This can be as simple as MS paint if you want, or your favorite image editing software.

The last time I tried that on an MMO (so I could get a view of the UI for a tech support reason), I wound up with a solid black image in Paint.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    not sure what your point is? that's how it works in NW, the game you asked the question for. I don't know how it works in other games but i'm sure if I wanted to know i'd read their FAQ or post on their forums.
    edited March 2014
    not sure what your point is? that's how it works in NW, the game you asked the question for. I don't know how it works in other games but i'm sure if I wanted to know i'd read their FAQ or post on their forums.

In other games pressing Print Screen automatically creates a .jpg image in a folder titled "Screenshots." It's pretty much an industry standard.
    edited March 2014
    that only works while in inspect mode (default "B") in neverwinter. Otherwise it copies it to your clipboard.
    edited March 2014
    Hm... that might actually explain things then, as I didn't know there was an "inspect mode."
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Print Screen works exactly as you expect it to the last time I checked. Granted I haven't taken a screenshot in some weeks but it does print the screen and make a jpg in the screenshots folder.

However it only takes images without the UI whether the UI is on the screen or not. In order to avoid that you would have to change the default bind of print screen to what Bioshrike said to include _ui_jpg. If someone could look the exact bind up that'd be awesome but being on a Kindle leaves matters to be desired when it comes to researching specifics.

The alternative is to press print screen and paste it into an image editing program. It does work.
    I have had issues in the past with having black screens but that was resolved a long time ago. Somebody did have a workaround for that issue though so it might be worth looking up the thread...I would but again...researching on kindle leave things to be desired. :(
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My OS is Vista 64bit, and yes just pressing print screen does copy to your clipboard. But I have found that pressing both control and print screen at the same time places it into my neverwinter/screenshots folder.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    My OS is Vista 64bit, and yes just pressing print screen does copy to your clipboard. But I have found that pressing both control and print screen at the same time places it into my neverwinter/screenshots folder.

I've been pressing just the PRINT SCRN button and getting both simultaneously: a clean (no UI or watermarked) image in my Screenshots folder and copied to the clipboard at the same time (WITH UI). Have you tried this? I'm just curious about the CTRL+PRINT SCRN (the need for the CRTL key).

//Just asking
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

Just a hopefully useful note- http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ is good enough for lowfi stuff like cropping and scaling screenshots- the eight bits per channel restriction doesn't really matter for this sort of work. Worth a look if you want something a bit better than MS Paint, but prefer $FREE.
    edited April 2014
    I figure I owe an update on how things turned out with the screenshot issue.

First, going into Inspect Mode and trying it without success proved that the bind was indeed broken. So I tried Shrike's suggestion.

Frankly put, /bind SysRq "screenshot_jpg" didn't work. In fact, it wound up binding the S key to take screenshots rather than the Print Scrn/SysRq button. I tried all sorts of variations, but it simply would not work the way it was "supposed to." I did find that typing /screenshot into the chatbox gave me manual options for various screenshot types.

But I wanted a hotkey.

In the end, I wound up binding screenshots to the 0 key. It works both in and out of Inspect Mode.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Just a hopefully useful note- http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ is good enough for lowfi stuff like cropping and scaling screenshots- the eight bits per channel restriction doesn't really matter for this sort of work. Worth a look if you want something a bit better than MS Paint, but prefer $FREE.

There's also paint.net that I've heard people talk about and supposedly less complicated. Personally I hate the image quality of ms paint's jpgs.