test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The great achievement suggestion thread

dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I am an achievement hunter and would love to see the achievement system get improved. For the most part it is very barebones. The best use of the achievement system is the foundry ones, mainly because it has long term goals with rewards besides titles (not that there is anything wrong with titles). Other achievement types should follow that lead with achievements that take longer to get along with rewards like unique companions, mounts, and fashion gear.

Exploration achievements - I don't have any specific ideas. I just suggest looking at the exploration/collection perks in CO and exploration accolades in STO. Also could use achievements for finding specific hidden quests, like Predator's den in Pirates' Skyhold. Could also use more of these hidden quests and hidden bosses in zones.

General Achievements
  • Get X amount of gold
  • Activate x amount of mimics
  • Die x amount of times
  • Deal/Heal X amount of damage
  • Get x amount of injuries of y type
  • Get fully injured (totally red in all spots)
  • Fencebane - knock down x amount of fence sections (for fences in Rothe and other zones that fall apart when you walk through them)
Profession Achievements - This is very barebones. There only achievements for leveling up. It could really use some more. Possible rewards could include unlocking new tasks and maybe small permanent buffs that make things a little easier for crafting.

For particular new tasks unlock, I would love to see a way to make certain sets of armor that exist in the foundry, but players still have no way to get. For example, the trickster one is listed as "Master Infiltrator's Masterful Armor - 1", which is one players have requested several times since it was used for the Hero of the North advertising. Could also add more potions and dyes in alchemy, some single dyes would be great.

There could also be a meta achievement, like Foundry Neophyte to Moonstar line for completing a certain amount of foundry achievements with nice rewards.

General Achievement ideas
  • Make X number of blues/purples
  • Make X amount of Y type armor
  • Getting Rank 2/3 results X amount of times
  • Using nature/arcana/etc skill nodes X times
  • Get X amount of mats from gathering/refining tasks
  • Higher level version of multi-task at 6-8 professions maxed out
  • Hire/upgrade X amount of workers
  • For unlocking all 9 task slots
  • Getting a rank 3 result with a chance of less than 15%

Profession Specific Achievements
  • Leadership
    • Get X amount of AD/gold/XP from tasks
    • Get X amount of green/blue/purple chests
  • Alchemy
    • Make x amount of potions of y quality
    • Transmute Goo/crafting mats X times
    • Make X amount of dyes
    • consume unstable potions and get y result x amount of times (could unlock recipe for stable versions of potions for that result)
  • Leatherworking/Mailsmithing/Platesmithing
    • Reinforce X amount of bracers
    • Make x amount of helm/chest/bracer/boots (could unlock tasks to make pieces I mentioned earlier)

Seasonal Achievements - Just would like to see more events based achievement, even for the smaller events. Though I think the event related achievements should be moved together, as there are a few in general achievements as well as the challenge of the god achievements in skirmishes.

Slayer Achivements - Just take these further. In Champions Online, they go up to 5000 and the final perk unlocks a costume piece. Give us some absurd amount to work up to and when you get the final achievement, you get a fashion piece related to the faction.

Challenge Achievements - New type of achievement. These are for completing dungeons/skirmishes and/or their bosses under certain conditions. Basic ones for beating them without dying or without using potions. Also more specific ones like beating the gnarlroot boss without getting hit with any of the environmental effects or preventing the fardelver boss from remounting his spider.

Sword Coast Adventures Achievements - Another new type. This one for doing stuff in the gateway mini-game
  • Completing X number adventures of Y tier
  • Completing X number of adventures total
  • Completing all the different varieties of adventures of a tier
  • Doing a full clear
  • Completing event adventures
  • Completing an adventure with full health/Completing an adventure with 1 HP left
    Completing an adventure with companions below the recommended level.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those are some very good ideas. Another thing I would like to see is achievements for those random bosses in various zones. For example The Judge in Pirate Skyhold or Skrymr in Icespire peak.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those are some very good ideas. Another thing I would like to see is achievements for those random bosses in various zones. For example The Judge in Pirate Skyhold or Skrymr in Icespire peak.

Ah, yes, meant to include those with the hidden quests idea.
  • Options
    fusshupefusshupe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The appropriate title for opening mimics would be "Dungeon Brake".
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    fusshupe wrote: »

Good idea, especially since Mimic Tamer is already taken.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I suggest, Dardove Disciple.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014

no no no no no, "Ooooh SHINY!!!"
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wish we would have gotten titles for the seasonal achievements , Troll wrangler and Chicken chaser and the others .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Most of the existing achievements just encourage repetition. I prefer achievements that:
    *hint that there is something for the player to discover (Fallen Tower Jumper)
    *encourage a player to play with finesse (Cut the Green Vine)
    *encourage players to help each other (like an achievement for drive-by buffing, although that wouldn't work with Neverwinter's mechanics)

I suppose these behaviors could be encouraged with by other means. (Cut the Green Vine should really unlock a bonus reward, so that there's an incentive to make the attempt every run.)

I don't begrudge achievement hunters their grind, but it doesn't interest me much.

However, the real disappointment for me is the titles. So many of the titles are bland and literal, particularly the slayer and crafting titles. Skeleton Slayer could easily have been Skeleton Smasher. Aberrant Slayer could have been Aberrant Corrector.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    +1.

More acheivements ideas (randomly thought of to encourage brainstorming):

Kick x barrels y times and get title "Clumsy Oaf"
    Jump off Lakkar's Axe x number times and get title "Cowabunga"
    Kill secret bosses in all dungeons/lairs/areas and get title "Super Sleuth"
    Get burned by fire pyres for x amount of damage and get title "Pyrophiliac"

On to a more serious note (I was not trolling), I have suggested before that Achievement Points and Collections be useable for conversion in-game. For example, perhaps 1000 achievement points = +1 to an attribute permanently. A similiar (but scaled system) could be used for collections. After about 8 months of grinding for achievements, I hit 3000 achievement points. An achievement conversion system would support the following:

1) Professions (now there is a reason to do all the professions to level 20, a small reason, but a reason)
    2) Doing dungeons again for unneeded gear or collecting all kinds of seals (Unicorn, Pegasus, etc).
    3) Crafting weapons and armor in professions.
    4) Seek out lore and scrying stones
    5) Participate in CTAs and Seasonal events
    6) Boost idle companion space and maybe even buying companions from Zen market.
    7) Support participation and running of foundry quests

And the reward is actually not that bad. +1 Att point of player's choice. A CON +30 GF? If you have 3000 achievement points why not.

And maybe Neverwinter would not want to convert for free. Maybe it costs AD, like upgrading a companion.

First 1000 achievement points or 100 collection points costs 150k AD (like the first guild tab).
    Second 1000 achievement points or 100 collection points costs 300k AD.
    Third 1000 achievement points or 100 collection points costs 600k AD.
    Fourth 1000 achievement points or 100 collection points cost 1.2Mil AD.
    And so on...

Makes it harder and maybe less worthwhile to convert, but still an option...

Just brainstorming...
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Title for opening 500 mimics? "Dances with Mimics".
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Heck, maybe even titles for defeating each named boss in a dungeon - like "Bested Vansi Bloodscar" or something.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    two30 wrote: »
    -snip-

Yeah, there is a lot of achievements that are just about repetition, mainly because those are the easiest ones to come up. I would love to see more unique achievements that aren't about repetition. Most of those under my suggestions would fall under exploration or challenge in my list of suggestions.

There were plenty of great perks/accolades in CO/STO that fall under this and would love Cryptic to borrow some of ideas of their other products to make the game better for explorers and achievement hunters like me. Some of the nice ones I saw from Champions Online were ones that require you to run across the length of a pipe (something you wouldn't normally think to do), one that required you to jump off a certain building, and just finding hidden spots in the zone. During the Halloween event there were 2 for using a device that transformed you into a werewolf and doing something unexpected in areas outside of the normal werewolf/hunter PvP fight. The first was called Air Wolf and had you jump on top of an helicopter and the other was Sea Wolf where you had to go to the underwater zone to kill submarine.

I also agree the slayer achievement titles are boring.
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    one thing I'd personally like to see is a Title added to the top tier Lore collecting Achievement.

nothing fancy, something like "Loremaster" or "Sage," perhaps "Sage of Neverwinter"
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    one thing I'd personally like to see is a Title added to the top tier Lore collecting Achievement.

nothing fancy, something like "Loremaster" or "Sage," perhaps "Sage of Neverwinter"

Yes, the fact that the final lore acheivement didn't have a title always puzzled me.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, this post has my vote. Nothing to add though.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    'Cut the Green Vine' has been bugged since Feywild launched. You have to stop the first two barrels from exploding, then get the achievement when you aggro the thorn for the final barrel, before he even has the chance to light it.

Icespire Mountaineer is bugged and as far as I know, impossible to get. 'Eye Chirurgeon' is possible but requires doing the heroic (generally slogging your way through all of the chasm to get there), repeating the epic version to get the same orb twice or having a TR use deft strike 50 times to get through the invisible wall.

The sad thing is that both of those two are examples of good achievements as they aren't grindy. There should have been similar achievements for opening both bonus chests in CT, finding the duergar area in ToS, stuff like that. Finding all the hidden quests (Predator's Den, Rod Stave and Wand, etc...) is a good idea as well. There ought to be achievements and titles for completing the racian and class questlines as well.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Keep the good ideas flowing, guys.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've said it a bunch of times in the Legit channel, but there really ought to be an achievement for keeping at least one of the guards in the Arcane Reservoir alive through the last room. They disappear when you enter the boss room, but even keeping one of the second set of guards alive from their spawn point to there is a huge pain, what with AoEs from mobs and them being typically suicidal NPCs who cheerfully stand in red zones.

Parkour achievements for finding the highest/most remote spot in a zone you can actually get to? Maybe not for getting outside of the Tower District, although doing that is ridiculously easy, but things like getting on top of towers, or rooftop jumping until you get to that one spot in TD where if you jump down among buildings you have to use /killme to escape because you're trapped, lol. The game works well with that, it's fun, and people love getting places in this game you wouldn't think to go/shouldn't be able to normally. (I remember the good old days of the ridiculously complicated jumping you needed to do to get back to where Lord Neverember is and you'd have like five people back there dancing around him in their underwear. XD)

Achievement for suiciding off of cliffs/into lava/etc. (TRs will get this fastest, given the number of times DF has killed me... :P)

Fashion achievements that give you a title for getting a fashion set, or an achievement for transmuting four pieces of an armor set, dying things a certain number of times, etc.

'Indecisive' title for respeccing your character a certain number of times.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    While parkour achievements would be nice, since they been adding more barriers in PE to stop it, I doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    duurduur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would like to have more achievements in general....

But the crafting achievements as suggested earlier in this thread would be awesome
    Play for fun, Work to get rich, These two are not compatible!
  • Options
    namenotpickedyetnamenotpickedyet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2014
    im all for adding new achievments but what i would like to see is a use for the achievment points you already have. Even if its just a title after getting 3000 points. At least then people will know you have 3000+ achievment points instead of taking your word for it, because right now i have 3425 points and nobody i tell this to believes me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, achievements for having achievement points would work there.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I was sort of surprised that there aren't any achievements for Respen's Game. When I was investigating that, I noticed that all characters have the achievement for the Valindra Invasion listed under 'missing' which makes me wonder if it will be repeated.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Awesome topic.

I think since we already have collections, they could easily assign achievements for hitting certain milestones in the collections tab.

Also, to go along with accruing a certain amount of money, there could be one for spending money.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    duurduur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    anything news worthy of reporting? rumors?

I really would like more and different achievements :)
    Like finding all hidden caves in the maps
    or just talked to all NPCs in a map
    Play for fun, Work to get rich, These two are not compatible!
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to reiterate something I suggested last midsummer festival. Chicken Chaser achievement should have an associated title.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only possible problem I have with achievement grinders is: negative impact to other players who don't care to grind for it.

Other MMO have "achievements" that require you to buff/debuff other player X amount of times with buffs that can be annoying and onerous to that other players game experience, the "achievement grinder" don't ask the other player if they wish to participate in their buff game, they just annoy the hell out of them, they are so hell bent on the achievement.

Other MMO have a "kill X amount of this mob" achievement, the problem is no thought is given to the possible negative impact to other players that are on a quest to kill X amount, or get Y amount of drops from those same mobs. The higher level player will go to that lower level spawn point for mobs and denude the region of the mobs needed by that other questing player, making them have to compete to complete their quest with someone that's always going to out dps them.

If there are to be kill X mobs then it needs to be a @ lvl requirement to prevent denuding.

If there is to be a buff achievement then it needs to be a non-forced buff but a accepted buff mechanic in there somewhere.

If there is to be a craft X amount achievement, it needs to be planned so as to not strip the AH of resources or artificially break pricing mechanics by achievement grinders. (On this one, I might suggest L60 drop blue gear be used to build L60 purple, the L60 blues AD pricing is a joke.)

In long, it needs to be mapped out on achievements so that it doesn't negatively effect non-grinders while doing so.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The only point in this game where the kill X mobs can sort of cause problems are with the Giants (especially before Feywild as now the Fomorians count towards the achievement) and a few other things like lycanthropes and foulspawn that are harder to farm on the maps. But, if you're running dungeons, most of the achievements can be had that way (lizardfolk being the big exception) and also foundries are a great way to target certain mobs. Furthermore, because the game is instanced, if there are no X around, you can always go to another instance and run the quests (or farm the achievement) there.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    As another achievement hoarder I love the ideas presented in this thread.