test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another Life Steal set for DCs? What is going on?

vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
(Creating a separate topic for this discussion. It does directly pertain to Black Ice gear, but there's a larger issue being discussed as well.)

I'm at a loss to understand why yet another T2.5 Life Steal set is being released for DCs. Why push large amounts of Life Steal onto the class that benefits from it the least?

Is there some secret to DC gameplay that some of us are tragically missing? I really would like to know, because it still seems very much that Life Steal is one of the least beneficial stats for DCs. It's completely unnecessary for PvE DCs and wasn't great for PvP DCs even before Healing Depression.

I'm just wondering what gives with this trend.
Sacrilege - Warlock
Contagion - Cleric
Testament - Wizard
Pestilence - Ranger
Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

Post edited by vorphied on

Comments

• Options
    mvffin1mvffin1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I always assumed that life steal was a boost to self healing that was taken away by righteousness. I'd gladly lose both for better gear stats though.
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "No!! Life steal is good!!! Cleric needs more life steal to heal himself!!! You simply dont understand the class, it can dps, heal and tank at the same time, IT IS OP CLASS!!!!" Said by a dev.

Optimistic thinking: since we got 3 lifesteal set, i sure the M4 wont give us life steal anymore.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think all classes have the same stats and set bonuses.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    I think all classes have the same stats and set bonuses.

TRs have no life steal on their Black Ice Gear, which is a shame.
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    TRs have no life steal on their Black Ice Gear, which is a shame.

Give it to the class that doesn't need it and don't give it to the class that does need it. Hmmmm.... Seems logical
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    kirah666kirah666 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's really hard to me to believe they actually play the classes before making the Gear... I was gladly surprised when i saw the profound set didn't have life steal on it... Now... well... It's all said. Useless stat for DCS.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lifesteal. To heal others. For a purely support class, having to heal others who can't keep themselves alive because of depression. That totally makes sense. I could share it via linked spirit but honestly I feel that my cleric is doing enough to support the whole gang of leechers we have to keep alive. Something my character could use directly and efficiently would be welcome, for once. Let's say, more crit.
  • Options
    theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Lifesteal. I could share it via linked spirit but honestly I feel that my cleric is doing enough to support the whole gang of leechers we have to keep alive.

I've seen it mentioned multiple times but Linked Spirit will boost the recipient's stats by a proportion of his OWN base stats (excluding buffs/augment pets), regardless of the amount or type of stats the proccing DC has. The tooltip is incorrect. So if I have no lifesteal and linked with a GWF who does the GWF will still get a lifesteal boost.

On topic:
    The stat distribution of 'black ice armor' is EXACTLY the same as the Dread Legion set, minus the bonus. Lets hope it's just a place holder, because otherwise it is 100% redundant.

As for the Purified Black Ice set, I cannot see why we need to spend 36800 black ice to craft this to even enter the Mod 3 "epic skirmish"?? Not only is the set bonus weak and unsuited for party play in PvE but offers no diversity in stat distribution to module 2 sets.
    The Corrupted set again has the same stat distrubution. It is arguably the more useful set if and only if the proc rate is high and there is no internal cooldown. If it doesn't stack, is +80 power for 12 seconds, and 80 power and 15% increased runspeed for the next 10 seconds really a deserving bonus for spending 36800 black ice?

Players want to be excited about new gear and equipment because it opens up new playstyles/builds and opportunities, either augmenting our strengths or covering our weaknesses. In module 2, the majority of DCs saw no incentive to upgrade to the Dread Legion set, and we have expressed that feedback. To then offer the exact same gear/stat distribution in module 3 gear which is required to enter the dungeon makes no sense and quite frankly a severe disappointment to the community.

RPGs, especially D&D ones are meant to encourage diversity. I have not seen any of the mod 1-3 sets be synergistic towards the possibility of any new or alternative builds.

That said, I like the new set of jewellery (cloak/belt/rings) a lot more. Recovery, regen, HP and tenacity is definitely a more appetizing combination. I would like to see more differences between the corrupt and purified set though.

Why Lifesteal do not benefit DCs:
    Combat designers seem to have the notion that clerics in a party can afford to play as a DPS class and can lifesteal to overcome righteousness. If you watch any streaming/videos of T2/CN content with DCs you'll see this is rarely the case. The DPS cleric is possibly the most gimped subclass in the whole game. The class as a whole has vastly inferior heroic feats compared to similar feats of other classes, an almost worthless virtuous tree, the weakest capstones of any class and armor penetration does not not contributing to additional damage for ALL but 2 of our encounter powers since beta. In a dungeon we are there as support, either to heal, or to mitigate/debuff. If they want DPS the party would have recruited another DPS class.

Getting good mileage from lifesteal is directly dependent on high DPS output. For the DC we have slow, single target at wills, zero inherent ArP and a choice between selfish DPS encounters/dailys versus party support tools which do little or no damage. The majority of party DCs will be using Astral shield and 2 of sunburst/Forgemasters/Healing Word/Divine Glow, none of which do appreciable damage especially when you consider their cooldowns. A further restriction is the need to build and spend divinity to power our encounters. No matter how high our power or weapon damage there are already inherent handicaps to our DPS output. Furthermore, when we are actively healing and supporting our DPSers or dodging for our lives we are not going to be able to stand and DPS and get any appreciable benefit from lifesteal. Therefore the whole concept of DCs benefitting from lifesteal, and somehow generating passive party wide heals while he DPSes, remains a strictly rosy, admirable concept that has long been disassociated from current preferences and performances.

To have our 2 original PvP sets, Mod 1, 2 and 3 set all set on carrying lifesteal, combined with a lack of developer interaction/feedback with the DC community on why things are the way they are I can only express my disappointment at the state of events in NW. The new black ice enchantment offers the strongest stat total for each slot, yet again carries lifesteal which is a dealbreaker for many DCs. We understand there are many facets of the combat mechanics and design and class balances, but having already been cast to sidelines for PvP, and facing no appreciable incentives or rewards in module 3, the level of interest and devotion to our cause is fast on the wane.

(I might repost part of this in the gear feedback thread)
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As theo notes, the lack of developer interaction with the DC community is a real issue. It's obvious by now either that they have a very specific vision in mind (one that arguably is not working) or that our feedback is not being heard. Either case constitutes a critical communication error.

From the continued introduction of unwanted Life Steal equipment, the Righteousness "rework", and the lack of compensation for Healing Depression down to the long overdue fix to Hammer of Fail following its unnecessary nerf, it's clear that something is wrong. Some communication would be welcome, because I have no idea why this class seems to get nothing but shafted.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To have our 2 original PvP sets, Mod 1, 2 and 3 set all set on carrying lifesteal, combined with a lack of developer interaction/feedback with the DC community on why things are the way they are I can only express my disappointment at the state of events in NW. The new black ice enchantment offers the strongest stat total for each slot, yet again carries lifesteal which is a dealbreaker for many DCs. We understand there are many facets of the combat mechanics and design and class balances, but having already been cast to sidelines for PvP, and facing no appreciable incentives or rewards in module 3, the level of interest and devotion to our cause is fast on the wane.
    vorphied wrote: »
    As theo notes, the lack of developer interaction with the DC community is a real issue. It's obvious by now either that they have a very specific vision in mind (one that arguably is not working) or that our feedback is not being heard. Either case constitutes a critical communication error.

Where do I sign guys, both very eloquently put. I appreciate it doesn't appear to be the developers/designer's style to engage on these points, but I too would love some insight into the vision they have for this class.

Come on designers/devs host a DC AMA, we'll be civil I promise.

We've had a year of what some of us perceive as negative changes and reworkings to the class and none of the promised positive re-evaluations have come to anything at all. Throw us a bone here...