test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Celestial Coins

cowboy7481cowboy7481 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
PWE and Cryptic.

will you be doing anything for those of us who have lost our Celestial coins due to the downtime?

i had one character at 6 days, 1 at 4 and a few at 2 and 1.

even though i would only get the coffer. it still hurts.

anyone else agree we should have something done about this.?
Post edited by cowboy7481 on

Comments

• Options
    cdrjayde66cdrjayde66 Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2014
    im more upset at the 5100MB patch I apparently have to get done.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's up to PWE/Cryptic. As a general reminder, PWE provides their services (the game and website) on an "as is, as available" basis and does not warrant that the service will be uninterrupted.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Pinpointerror let us know that they have not ruled out compensation especially for such a long period of downtime.

While there is no firm statement that I can give you saying you will be compensated for the downtime it is something they are considering.

Unfortunately celestial coins will be lost, though. There is nothing that can be done in regards to that. :(
    If it makes you feel better Pin was upset about the loss of coins on his personal account too. :p

Edit - Ninja'd
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know about getting celestial coins back but reference Caturday as a possible example of compensation.
  • Options
    dysillusiondysillusion Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Unfortunately celestial coins will be lost, though. There is nothing that can be done in regards to that. :(
    If it makes you feel better Pin was upset about the loss of coins on his personal account too. :p

Edit - Ninja'd

unfortunately, i won't be contributing to this game anymore, due to severe lack of customer care and support :D you should have systems in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening or at least from letting it affect the customers, but again, fail. i mean for me i managed to log in before the daily reset time today and still lost the coins.. according to your game rules none of my characters should have lost coins but they all did. if you don't compensate why should i ever contribute to your half-arsed company?
  • Options
    blueboxerblueboxer Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2014
    I too am upset at losing my celestial coins because of a problem on your end.

You now have the ability to extend the expiration of Celestial Coins, we can do it through a Sword Coast Adventure so you clearly have the technology.

So establish a policy that if you have more than 2 hours of downtime you reset the expiration timer on all Celestial Coins.

Your terms of service may not require you to make allowances for your downtime, but not punishing your customers for problems on your end is just good business sense. I missed not getting to play, I missed not being able to set up my professions, but losing the coins I gathered all week was a real slap in the face and that, at least, was avoidable.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    unfortunately, i won't be contributing to this game anymore, due to severe lack of customer care and support :D you should have systems in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening or at least from letting it affect the customers, but again, fail. i mean for me i managed to log in before the daily reset time today and still lost the coins.. according to your game rules none of my characters should have lost coins but they all did. if you don't compensate why should i ever contribute to your half-arsed company?

You know that old adage about the best laid plans of mice and men? Yeah, that. For those who have never heard it:

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Unfortunately, not everything runs the way you think it should, so perfectly with contingency plans on top of failsafes on top of redundancy so that no one should EVER have to experience unscheduled downtime.

With all due respect, it's a game. In the end, it's still pixels. Even the CM lost his celestial coins. Sucks, but it happens.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    lordbane42lordbane42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With all due respect, it's a game. In the end, it's still pixels. Even the CM lost his celestial coins. Sucks, but it happens.

It's still inexcusably poor customer service. The company is further punishing it's customers when it has 1) no valid reason to do so (other than sheer laziness or greed) and 2) the means to prevent what happened (not the outage maybe, but the loss of in-game items for players yes).

Sure it's just pixels, but when you upset your playerbase with a second slap in the face when you've already screwed up, don't expect said playerbase to not be upset and legitimately so.
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lordbane42 wrote: »
    and 2) the means to prevent what happened (not the outage maybe, but the loss of in-game items for players yes).

How exactly did they have the ability to prevent the celestial coins running out? the entire server network was down , there was no way whatsoever to interact with or manipulate anything inside the game because it was down , the way you guys are going on you would think that entire accounts had been wiped .
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lordbane42 wrote: »
    It's still inexcusably poor customer service. The company is further punishing it's customers when it has 1) no valid reason to do so (other than sheer laziness or greed) and 2) the means to prevent what happened (not the outage maybe, but the loss of in-game items for players yes).

Sure it's just pixels, but when you upset your playerbase with a second slap in the face when you've already screwed up, don't expect said playerbase to not be upset and legitimately so.

No one said that you don't have the right to be upset. Like I said, even the CM lost his coins and he wasn't exactly a happy camper about it either. However, demanding some sort of compensation for even the slightest unscheduled downtime, or some of the claims that "there should have been systems in place to prevent this..." , yeah, that's a bit entitled, I'd say.

My personal opinion, mind you.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do think it underscores that the design of how celestial coins work isn't ... practical or useful for a lot of reasons.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1. It's just some celestial coins. Get some perspective here ("inexcusable"? really?)

2. They gave you a way to extend your timer when you can't get into the game. The Sword Coast Adventures page was still working while the server was down (I successfully extended coins on one character using SCA, then decided it wasn't worth the effort on the other ones, since it was just some coins. Luckily, they were still there when I logged in this morning, so I didn't lose any.)
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    2. They gave you a way to extend your timer when you can't get into the game. The Sword Coast Adventures page was still working while the server was down (I successfully extended coins on one character using SCA, then decided it wasn't worth the effort on the other ones, since it was just some coins. Luckily, they were still there when I logged in this morning, so I didn't lose any.)

Actually, no it wasnt up. At least not for me when i attempted to log in. I do think
    some form of compensation to the player base would be a nice gesture.

Personally, I think the whole "you have to keep logging in" design for celestial coins should be scrapped. Let them accumulate up to seven max, and let me decide how often I want to spend them.
  • Options
    greydog2greydog2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I want my Dire Hampster!!

Daggummit!!!
    I plan on living forever ..so far so good

Squadron 238
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    If cryptic gives everyone celestial coins, we'd have a bunch of threads whining about how pathetic the sorry gift was.

People will cry either way.

I don't think giving everyone celestial coins will affect the balance and economy in any significant way. The 7-day reward has been nerfed to oblivion
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    The Sword Coast Adventures page was still working while the server was down

That is simply not possible. SCA is tied to the game, it can not function without the game server running.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    That is simply not possible. SCA is tied to the game, it can not function without the game server running.

Maybe it was late in the process of recovery. All I know is that when I booted my computer last night to log in to NW (12ish, Eastern), the server dot was red and it gave the "we're working on it!" message. I switched to my browser, checked out the thread on the forum, and then went to the Gateway. Was able to log in to the gateway and do the SCA temple adventure. Dunno what to say.

Personally, I think the whole "you have to keep logging in" design for celestial coins should be scrapped. Let them accumulate up to seven max, and let me decide how often I want to spend them.

The Celestial Coin thing is clearly copying the various "daily login bonus" mechanics used in lots of f2p tablet games these days. The Ardent coins are the "save them up whenever" coins. If they got rid of the daily login bonus-style mechanic, they'd likely just rip the Celestial Coins out of the game entirely, since they'd no longer have a purpose.

(And yeah, I've missed days and lost my coins. It happens. /shrug)
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited March 2014
    You know that old adage about the best laid plans of mice and men? Yeah, that. For those who have never heard it:

Unfortunately, not everything runs the way you think it should, so perfectly with contingency plans on top of failsafes on top of redundancy so that no one should EVER have to experience unscheduled downtime.

With all due respect, it should be foresight for your company to have coding that automatically refreshes every single player's coins at or before server up after a downtime like this. This is by far the most short-sighted game company that I have ever had the pleasure to game with. Except, I don't play Cryptic/PWE games any more because of their severe lack of care.

When I heard about this downtime, I just knew that people would be losing their coins that they have religiously logged in every day in order to keep. I also knew that these posts would crop up from moderators that basically amount to: too bad, don't care. Sad really. Sad sad company.

Although I don't play these Cryptic/PWE games any longer, I have close friends who do, and it makes me sad that they lost their coins in this game which they are very very religious players. It makes me sickened that the mods/devs also don't even seem to care.

When there are no plans or contingencies laid out in the first place regarding prolonged downtime and the inability for any dev/moderator to refresh coins for players during 12 hour extended downtime, you don't think that is a problem? YOUR downtime just cost players up to 144 hours (6 days) of logging in to get coins.

This is my honest, albeit blunt, angry, and disappointed feedback.

Perhaps I am a bit spoiled by companies that actually care about their customers/players i.e. Blizzard Entertainment. I could go on and on with comparing Cryptic/PWE to other companies, of which I have had much better customer service experiences and automatic, clearly forethought, compensation.

The worst part is that this 'log in every day to get a coin,' mechanic is obviously part of the game. Devs, moderators, and admins know it. Clearly a 12 hour down-time would nuke the opportunities for many many players to refresh their coins in time since that is a half of a day.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often (don't exist.)"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    YOUR downtime just cost players up to 144 hours (6 days) of logging in to get coins.

Really? I thought it took 3 seconds each day to pray?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Really? I thought it took 3 seconds each day to pray?

It sure does, except when you can't log in. My buddy lost 5/6 of his characters coins, of which he logs in religiously every day to pray/refresh. Hard to log in on a game that is down. Hard to not be angry when there was no contingency plan for this sort of problem in the first place.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It sure does, except when you can't log in. My buddy lost 5/6 of his characters coins, of which he logs in religiously every day to pray/refresh. Hard to log in on a game that is down. Hard to not be angry when there was no contingency plan for this sort of problem in the first place.

So how does that compute to 144hours again?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So how does that compute to 144hours again?

In order to have 6 coins saved up a player has to wait/log in/refresh for 6 days or 144 hours.

I am saying that a player who has prayed for 6 days, saved 6 coins, and lost them in this 12 hour + downtime has lost 144 hours of coins.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In order to have 6 coins saved up a player has to wait/log in/refresh for 6 days or 144 hours.

I am saying that a player who has prayed for 6 days, saved 6 coins, and lost them in this 12 hour + downtime has lost 144 hours of coins.

So that player lost a rank 4 enchantment you mean (from the reward)?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally, I don't see why they couldn't just set everyone's Celestial coins to 7 and call it a day...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Again, they have not ruled out compensation.

That is all the information at this point in time.
    Celestial Coins were lost and will not be returned. That is not possible.

Compensation has not been ruled out. Hell they could decide to give everybody the chest,not that they are, but your coins are lost no matter what.
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014

No, no, he's lost six coins... Six coins which will take approximately 18 seconds to recoup over a six day period. However at the end of the day, it's just a game... moaning over the loss of a few 1s and 0s is just a tad silly imho.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    dysillusiondysillusion Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ok for all the people who fail to comprehend: regardless of your opinion about whether or not 6 coins matter, or whether they take 18 seconds or 144 hours, the fact is this is yet another in a massively long list of failures that have befallen neverwinter in recent months. as someone who has contributed plenty to the company, to be told bluntly that the coins are gone regardless, in a very uncaring manner, is extremely unprofessional. a company with standards would immediately try to fix the problem at it's root, rather than claim that it's impossible, which obviously is untrue. even though i did log in before the coins should have disappeared according to the timer the day before, they were already gone, so their system clearly doesn't work, and i was double-screwed on all of my characters and my gf's as well. the coins system is so bad though it runs on 2 daily cooldowns, the daily reset timer and it's own 22-hour cooldown internal clock.

ULTIMATELY: the point of all of this is that it certainly exemplifies the quality of customer support and concern here in neverwinter. this game had a lot of potential but with the way in which it is managed, and the tactics the company employs to earn from it, it is inevitably doomed, as more and more of the contributing customers decide they simply are not getting their money's worth at all, and they have every right to cut you off from their money :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ok for all the people who fail to comprehend: regardless of your opinion about whether or not 6 coins matter, or whether they take 18 seconds or 144 hours, the fact is this is yet another in a massively long list of failures that have befallen neverwinter in recent months. as someone who has contributed plenty to the company, to be told bluntly that the coins are gone regardless, in a very uncaring manner, is extremely unprofessional. a company with standards would immediately try to fix the problem at it's root, rather than claim that it's impossible, which obviously is untrue. even though i did log in before the coins should have disappeared according to the timer the day before, they were already gone, so their system clearly doesn't work, and i was double-screwed on all of my characters and my gf's as well. the coins system is so bad though it runs on 2 daily cooldowns, the daily reset timer and it's own 22-hour cooldown internal clock.

ULTIMATELY: the point of all of this is that it certainly exemplifies the quality of customer support and concern here in neverwinter. this game had a lot of potential but with the way in which it is managed, and the tactics the company employs to earn from it, it is inevitably doomed, as more and more of the contributing customers decide they simply are not getting their money's worth at all, and they have every right to cut you off from their money :)

Soooo...in other words, stuff happens, you lose a few items, and the company owes you something or else it's bad customer service? I think not.

In EVERY business, things happen. I'm sorry, but as I stated earlier, not every company (and I don't care how good you may think they are) has contingencies on top of failsafes on top of redundancies to ensure that no one has to suffer through even a minute of unscheduled downtime. Compensation, sure, is a nice idea, but it's not an obligation on part of the company.

Unless you work for the company and know precisely how the game is coded, how do you know that what has been said is untrue? You're making an awful lot of assumptions there. Just because you think it's possible doesn't mean it's possible within the context of the game's programming.

Sure, some companies are massively overcompensating and many seem to think that's the norm. It's not. Companies like Blizzard and Disney are exceptions rather than the rule...but then, they're such massively large companies that they can well afford to throw a few trinkets to the masses.

But take, say, your cable or telephone company. Say your cable goes out for a while (and it has for me). Before compensation is even an item up for discussion, you're looking at a minimum of 48 hours of downtime....and you might get a bill credit for a couple days, or maybe even a free pay-per-view movie.

Bottom line is, people really are making a mountain out of a molehill on what they think to be "the principle of the matter". Doesn't make it any less of a molehill.

Ultimately, as people have said, it's still a game. It's not a necessity of life. Whether you pay money into it or not, in the end Cryptic can pull the plug on the server tomorrow. Will we get our money back or all the money we've invested into the game? Not likely.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    edited March 2014
    the point of all of this is that it certainly exemplifies the quality of customer support

So you want PWE to give all the players 1 rank 4 enchant each?
  • Options
    greydog2greydog2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So you want PWE to give all the players 1 rank 4 enchant each?

No ...a Dire Hampster!
    I plan on living forever ..so far so good

Squadron 238
This discussion has been closed.