test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Allow crafting professions to break down gear for materials

bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Just as the subject states, allow us to break down gear via the crafting professions. Have each task display what sort of materials you can get from each piece of gear, and have it be affected by the quality of the tools used to break it down. This would be great because it could potentially allow us to "recover" rare or epic components from blue and purple gear, respectively.

Potentially, perhaps, you could get materials of a tier higher than the piece of gear broken down, as an incentive to utilize this feature - again, based upon the tools used - maybe even allowing us to recover things like epic weapon shards/pieces and dragon eggs.
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty pointless unless you could actually make something useful with crafting, using the recovered components. As it is, crafting is mostly useless.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Pointless and useless unless dragon eggs come out of it
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    It's definitely an interesting concept especially if they add more focus to improving existing armor and weapons with such a system. :D

I agree professions need a bit more love but saying professions shouldn't get more love because they need more love doesn't make sense to me, haha. Would this feature make sense as is, maybe not but doesn't mean it isn't something worth looking into.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What about doing something with the professions that actually makes them worthy? like being able to reinforce something more than the t2 gaunlets or craft jewelry with your own choice of stats?
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One problem with putting effort into writing code for crafting new items, is that if you make it a worthwhile item(s), people complain if its BoP. If its not BoP, it gets capitalized on, and skews the economy. A vocal bunch of players seem to think that unless they can make a living off of a new feature, its 'garbage' or 'useless' (as mentioned above). I am not in that group, but I am one opinion.

I would like something like this, as it would give me a reason to gather the TREMENDOUS amount of green equipment I get from drops. Even if the mechanic let me get a chance at a green enchantment, or let me directly add to my refinement, I'd take it. However, if it was anything substantial, it would have to be a profession task on a timer. If it was an instant transaction (similar to refinement), it would have to be a small chance of 'greater than level' rewards (getting a blue enchant from a green, etc).

This game is unique in that it needs to be a D&D product, appeal to those who like to role-play, as well as those who UbEr Game, and everyone in between. Not an easy task.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If nothing else, it would give us something to do with all of those LvL 60 Blues that I don't generally bother ID'ing.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would be sort of like Alchemy experimenting in all the other professions and like deconstruction to find out how the parts work together. Then you could have recipes to make armor of Youth, cloak of fire, symbol of power and so forth. I like the idea.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There used to be a game waaaaay back called Thief (early 8086 PCs). When the game started, it randomly initialized all of the spells with different components. It differed in between games, so you couldn't get the 'formulae' and pass it around to your friends. You had to combine components and try to 'cast'. If it worked, it would tell you what spell you had found. if not, you took various amounts of damage.

If they made open ended systems like that, where combining random armor pieces with other components could create a truly rare or unique armor piece, that would be fantastic. It would be a hell of a gold/AD/Zen sink, as well as a way to use the flotsam we find during adventuring.
  • vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Get the stuff you need from the AH if you must lol
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like it if you get a chance to get a dragon egg back from the pants and shirt you just crafted and did'nt roll tier 3, it would be worth it.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They already have the salvage mechanic in place. Just code blues and greens to salvage into something from a specific list.

Wouldn't be that hard to implement.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How about an NPC that gives you daily quests to craft some items and rewards you with some kind of profession resource pack? They could just add it to the professions vendor in the marketplace.
  • helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like disassembling, which might be a great alternative to selling/salvage the item.

Refinement stones could be a great addition to the outcome of the breakdown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How about an NPC that gives you daily quests to craft some items and rewards you with some kind of profession resource pack? They could just add it to the professions vendor in the marketplace.

Rift did this and it was a nice edition. You had weekly and daily crafting quests that rewarded profession resources.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My characters churning out chest after chest in Leadership gives me so much crafting <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it is ridiculous. If I honestly took the time each week to distribute it between my characters by their other professions it would waste like an hour each week tweaking the mail and sorting it.

It is an interesting idea but is useless and a time waster!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    for it to work you need a crafting that is not based on big expenses on epic tools, and to actually having something usefull to make, at least transmute cosmetics, but there is none. crafting resumes to leadership farming and weapon/bracer making, and some people doing shirts and pants. thats pretty sad, the system could be way better.
  • arthol009arthol009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually when first saw the salvage option I thought it would have given trade skill items back it surprised me it didn't. This is the first game I've played that didn't have player made bags or dyes. Even if the bags where bind on pick up and used a dragons egg I would be ok with that. Other thing kinda blows my mind is cost to change the appearance of an item it shouldn't be more then the salvage value of item. I paid for the Ranger booster you would think items I paid cash for would be free change but it cost enough where I cant afford to do it.... So I look like old Doctor Who Time Lord extra
  • iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The concept is very similar to another mmo that I won't name, but in that one instead of getting crafting materials like you are proposing, you could get stats runes. Maybe we should do the same here too, but instead of dropping lame rank 4, it should drop rank 5 or even 6 from very high stats gear.