test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So they fixed... nothing? again...

zankardzankard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
How exactly did you fix the problem? Everyone is rolling around with the new stone they got for free.. This is ridiculous and you fixed nothing. A reasonable mind would think 'hey it's easy just delete all stones that don't belong into marked accounts, make the rest bound and that's it' but no the developers always have to disappoint us with their incompetence to problem solving. I'm a sucker, but no more. No more money from me. I'll just exploit whatever I find from now on as it seems that's the way this game is meant to be played..
Post edited by zankard on

Comments

• iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    By the time they figured out what to do it was late evening in the developers timezone and you can't expect them to work into the early hours when the bug wasn't really game breaking even though it was highly annoying for a lot of us , so I'm guessing the did the patch and will maybe follow that up over the next few days , we will find out soon I'd guess.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • zankardzankard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Won't bet my money on it... And I know how databases work it's only one query that should be run it doesn't take too long. They are just showing us they don't care enough. Game breaking or not, it's making a statement: exploit the game or you miss out. This is terrible
  • grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited March 2014
    zankard wrote: »
    Won't bet my money on it... And I know how databases work it's only one query that should be run it doesn't take too long. They are just showing us they don't care enough. Game breaking or not, it's making a statement: exploit the game or you miss out. This is terrible
    +1
    I completely agree with you.
    enough!
    edited March 2014
    Funny thing how this was supposed to be a 'thank you' promotion for those that spend money here. It turned around to 'be the sucker and transfer 1000 zen now but everyone else will get it too!'
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whine, whine.

Its not even that big of a deal nor game breaking.

Some people got a free green pet. So what?
    edited March 2014
    Everyone got a free green pet. One that became available by others that paid real money for it. You can call me whiner all you want, but you would feel the same way. Also, apart from this companion itself that means that all of the other stones are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now. Boom, zero value. So how do you feel that someone that might have started this game yesterday got something for free that you might have farmed days to get?
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Obviously you have no idea how a game works or how chars work - i have written extensive scripts back in the nwn1 days on the world we ran and the stone is stored on the toon object, which would need to be instantiated in memory to even begin to loop the toon, and all its storage. A huge source of lag was caused by any script that had to search toons and their bags/storage and such. Things like bank slots, guild banks are arrays that hold the actual objects. And based on how the objects are named, such scripts are error prone, a mis code and you empty a toon of everything or more than what you want... not code you would just whip out. While i could likely set the flag in the store with a simple db switch, removing the stones would be a whole new animal, and likely be a massive lag fest as every toon would need to be checked as the load.

Again, you could mark accounts, and maybe only run the cleaning script vs people that are not paid, but still a whole mess of work that could go toward other more important bugs - and yes i 'paid' for my stone. I do not care that plenty of people got free stones, because i will still get one on all my future toons, which is why i took advantage of the offer - i already had stones or cats on all my toons before I took advantage of this offer - and i still get to spend the zen so this stone is more or less free.

Now, as long as the dungeon que got fixed, then I am happy... i was more upset that i could not do a epic dd than what happened with the stones. it does not hurt me at all, in fact, it helps me because those people will now be a bit better if we ever run together.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Really they should have took the severs down as soon as they knew it happened, but at least there isn't a roll back. Would've been annoying for me. At least they made the stones bop, but it is a shame that people do exploit these things and don't have any morality over it. I'm not overly bothered about others getting it and reasonably happy that I got it despite owning 6 allure stones. I actually deserve the stone unlike those that took advantage. My actions speak for myself. Also careful about exploiting, cryptic can be unpredictable, for example people got permanently banned for quest sharing. Something that was also their fault.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I got the promotion and got the pet. By I know people that spend a lot more on this game that were not so lucky. I can't get too bent out of shape about it. And it does nothing to affect the value of real stones. How much does it cost to promote? 500k. How much is an Alure on the AH? Just over 500k.....
    edited March 2014

I don't know about old nw1 days, but I work in IT for a living *today* and I know how database queries work. "A whole mess of work" as you say is just one query to the database. Run it, let it finish, done. Lag? Didn't they put down the servers again to fix this anyway... You make no sense sir.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How exactly did you fix the problem? Everyone is rolling around with the new stone they got for free.. This is ridiculous and you fixed nothing. A reasonable mind would think 'hey it's easy just delete all stones that don't belong into marked accounts, make the rest bound and that's it' but no the developers always have to disappoint us with their incompetence to problem solving. I'm a sucker, but no more. No more money from me. I'll just exploit whatever I find from now on as it seems that's the way this game is meant to be played..

I am surprised that anyone actually expected any punishments after the (lack of) action on numerous previous occasions.

Was on /Legit yesterday and I don't think there was a single person who thought Cryptic would carry out any punishments. There were some who hoped they might for the good of the community, but not sure whether there was anyone who actually believed that they would.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Game breaking or not, it's making a statement: exploit the game or you miss out. This is terrible

This is the only thing that really gets under my skin about the whole thing , yes it isn't game breaking and it is only a green pet and I agree more players having an augment make the parties I join the times I queue so much easier but when all is said and done this was a exploit that flooded the game with a companion that was never supposed to be flooded into the game , they are setting a dangerous prescience for any future exploits , how can they expect the playerbase to follow the ToS when the people running the game seem to follow the ToS only when it suits them .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I am surprised that anyone actually expected any punishments after the (lack of) action on numerous previous occasions.

Was on /Legit yesterday and I don't think there was a single person who thought Cryptic would carry out any punishments. There were some who hoped they might for the good of the community, but not sure whether there was anyone who actually believed that they would.

I wasn't expecting any punishments. I was expecting a FIX. At least a partial fix. You can't punish people for using a game mechanic because you missed out covering a huge hole. Two words: damage control. They didn't.

Anyhow yeah there's no point in this. Just becoming a more 'experienced' player now and realizing how one 'wins' in this game. Exploit right away! Take care guys
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    I got the promotion and got the pet. By I know people that spend a lot more on this game that were not so lucky. I can't get too bent out of shape about it. And it does nothing to affect the value of real stones. How much does it cost to promote? 500k. How much is an Alure on the AH? Just over 500k.....

I was one of those people who spent a lot of money and never got an e-mail. That is why all this complaining pisses me off so much. There are a lot of people who should have gotten the e-mail and didn't. So the whole thing has been broken from the start. You are no longer a special snow flake, get over it.

Yes, I have contacted customer support. >:(
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone got a free green pet. One that became available by others that paid real money for it. You can call me whiner all you want, but you would feel the same way. Also, apart from this companion itself that means that all of the other stones are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now. Boom, zero value. So how do you feel that someone that might have started this game yesterday got something for free that you might have farmed days to get?

Ironically it was also the people who "paid real money for it" that "exploited" the hell out of it and probably made a small fortune in some cases (the ones that were the first to start selling them).
    So you can drop the act that everyone who paid money "for the stone" (another thing they didn't do, since it was a freebie to thank customers) was victimized.
    Artificer.jpg
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can't punish people for using a game mechanic because you missed out covering a huge hole.
    They can and have in the past. They should somewhat punish exploiters in some way, but the fact that it's been normalised would partially make it unfair to suddenly punish them. They should've from the start do a warning for people who exploit fairly continually and then temp ban when they continue all the way to perma ban for the worst offenders.
    edited March 2014
    zyphxx wrote: »
    I was one of those people who spent a lot of money and never got an e-mail. That is why all this complaining pisses me off so much. There are a lot of people who should have gotten the e-mail and didn't. So the whole thing has been broken from the start. You are no longer a special snow flake, get over it.

You miss the point. If there were people that should have gotten in the promotion and didn't that's a whole different problem and I'm with you on that. I don't want to be a 'special snowflake'. I was just told into my face that I'm a sucker. Perhaps your situation also feels the same, again, I'm with you. it's not like this new stone wouldn't find it's way into the Zen store for everyone to buy anyway.. It's mostly about 2 things: Everyone getting for free something that was supposed to be a gift for people that paid, and second that this shows their policy is like 'you managed to exploit? good for you'. That's what pisses me off the most
    edited March 2014
    I don't know about old nw1 days, but I work in IT for a living *today* and I know how database queries work. "A whole mess of work" as you say is just one query to the database. Run it, let it finish, done. Lag? Didn't they put down the servers again to fix this anyway... You make no sense sir.

so are you saying you think they store the stones in the database? are you talking about a the flag on your account to see if you should have a stone? I work in IT for a living - write SQL every day vs an erd with over 96 tables, so I am expert level database programmer, as well as the gambit of languages from COBOL to C# and Java. on top of the years of professional experience, I ran an NwN1 world that used Nwscript and wrote custom systems that were 1000s of lines of code. I created an api for their item system that allowed us to create almost any item with any property, outside the limitations of that system, like if you created an item with AC, you could not change the type of ac it was - shield was always a shield ac and a necklace was always natural ac...it was limitations placed in the object.

Your statements illustrate how little you know about how a game of this nature works. so you think when i log in, they query a database that returns all the properties of my toon, as well as all the items they have, and if that item has an enchant, and what lvl that enchant is and if the item has had a dye applied to it?

They store the pointer to the object that is my toon in a db so when i log in as that toon, they put the object in memory - the whole object. To find a stone, you would need to search that object once in memory... not anything via sql but walk the containers in the actual object.

Dude - do a little research - try to code a game and then come back and complain about how easy it would be to write the sql...
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Funny thing how this was supposed to be a 'thank you' promotion for those that spend money here. It turned around to 'be the sucker and transfer 1000 zen now but everyone else will get it too!'

Hmm, and I seem to have double missed out. I've spent money on the game (at least $40), but didn't get the promotion. And I missed the whole "hey, everyone's selling stones!" So I still don't have any kind of augment pet on any of my characters.

Oh, well. /shrug
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I got the stone legitimately a couple of weeks ago. I didn't exploit the bug, although I admit I was tempted. I really don't care that all these people have a free stone. It has zero impact on my game experience and I got it for free as well. Plus mine is better - I can claim it on all current and future toons.

Let it go, folks. Life is too short.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zyphxx wrote: »

Yes, I have contacted customer support. >:(
    Get over it? Did you read my post? I was over it before it started. I am, however, a special snowflake. My mom said so.
    edited March 2014
    the real kicker about this thread is you say you work in IT, but are upset over 10 dollars...
    edited March 2014
    I got the stone legitimately a couple of weeks ago. I didn't exploit the bug, although I admit I was tempted. I really don't care that all these people have a free stone. It has zero impact on my game experience and I got it for free as well. Plus mine is better - I can claim it on all current and future toons.

Let it go, folks. Life is too short.
    +1 Bingo! much bigger fish to fry.
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2014
    None of it matters. People who want to be mad are going to no matter what is done or said. The issue is so volatile that one poster suggested last night that people like me are ruining the world. I didn't even exploit because as I stated I never got the dang e-mail. I think people are too worked up. I being one of those people.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Hmm, and I seem to have double missed out. I've spent money on the game (at least $40), but didn't get the promotion. And I missed the whole "hey, everyone's selling stones!" So I still don't have any kind of augment pet on any of my characters.

Oh, well. /shrug

Look on the bright side, not even those with Hero of the North (or any of the other expensive) packs got the little "thank you", only those that were lucky enough to buy enough Zen at the right time.
    Needless to say my sympathy for all the crying is rather low, it's not a big deal whatsoever - no economies were broken or any of the other hyperbole that some people are trying to sell.
    Just a few e-peens got bruised, and in many cases they are already soothed because they made some major bank from this.
    Artificer.jpg
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I didn't get the stone. I got the email but I didn't want to buy zen by then. and I haven't played much in the last days (other than working on the foundry) so I missed it.
    I don't really care about others exploiting it, like someone said, it's not game breaking.
    And I would assume they wouldn't punish the exploiters, after all the mistake was on their part. If a bank screws up and gives me extra money and then I use it, they usually don't ask for it back later, because it was their mistake. I guess here it is the same.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would be interesting to see if they had a way to track how many times a person "created" an item, and just ban those accounts that created hundreds or thousands of these stones to sell. At least there would be some sort of justice.

But also keep in mind that it happened less than 24 hours ago, so they probably need some time to sit down, put some options on the table, then get to it. I'm sure we haven't seen the "final resolution" to this.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014

And besides, remember you could have waited a little, get 15% bonus ZEN, and still get the stone anyway. You know, just to rub salt in your wounds.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    And I would assume they wouldn't punish the exploiters, after all the mistake was on their part. If a bank screws up and gives me extra money and then I use it, they usually don't ask for it back later, because it was their mistake. I guess here it is the same.

Actually, this isn't true. If you get money from a teller or an ATM, and they accidentally give you more than what they should have, they WILL ask for it back, and you're responsible for returning the money, or else you'll be arrested for stealing.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Actually, this isn't true. If you get money from a teller or an ATM, and they accidentally give you more than what they should have, they WILL ask for it back, and you're responsible for returning the money, or else you'll be arrested for stealing.

Absolutely correct. It has happened more often than you might think.
This discussion has been closed.