test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gold totally useless?

heyitsnateheyitsnate Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
We all know AD is the main currency in this game. Respect,Upgrading, Auction House trading, list goes on. Gold is only useful for buying potion (Honestly, I buy my potions from AH) and removing enchantments from stuff. People try buying items for 50g, 100g an whatever the price they wanna try to get the item for but who is going to pick 50g over what can be 30k AD? what is 50g gonna buy you? They should make the AH have a gold buying/selling option besides diamonds only. You know the starting bid an buyout option? Change starting bid to gold, an buyout AD. This would increase the value gold actually has. Everybody throws money down on this game an everybody says its pay to win, well honestly it is due to gold being useless and AD being tough to come by. Don't go thinking I'm some kid with like 5k AD an just want a change cause I hate being poor. I have roughly 850k AD an make it easily. I just think the lack of value gold has is stupid.
Post edited by heyitsnate on

Comments

• Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As far as I know, gold is used for removing refinement/enchants and buying profession materials as well as buying the 5 skill kits (Religion, Dungeon, Nature, Arcana and Theivery). I believe basic mounts and basic companions can be bought with gold as well.

That said, having gold is a good source to build Astral Diamond bank accounts by buying things such as basic mounts, Coal, Quicksilver etc. These items always seem to be in demand and bring a good value in the Auction House.

I know I seem to have a lot of gold on my main (100G+), but I have not run instances on a regular basis yet.
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    hadrielehadriele Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Gold useless?

Enchanted keys cost around 45k AD, but I sold one for 120g instead. Why? Because I have alts and I frequently remove enchantments, costing 2.5g each time. When the new PvP set comes out, who knows how much gold I'll be spending daily transferring enchants between my PVE and PVP sets. Seems more like an annoyance, no idea why the game is designed that way.

So for someone who loves to PvP and go on DD runs with guild, gold is FAAAAR from useless. It's a necessity. Of course, if I had enough AD to buy enough Rank 8+ enchants for both my PVP and PVE sets, then yeah, I would no longer need gold.
  • Options
    aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If it's that useless take that useless amount and go buy yourself a key. There definitely are always people selling keys for whatever amount, it's up to you how much you want to pay for them.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. If you have no use for gold, give it to someone else that have a use for it. I personally don't think gold is that useful as well but i'm not a hardcore player who utilizes that currency as much so the usefulness of gold doesn't apply to me. But i find key sellers everywhere so it works for me.

Now if only upgrading companions would cost gold instead of AD... i wonder... no... it'll never happen.
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    since open beta till now have bought 50keys with gold, (haven't used real money).................
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Gold useless?

Does removing enchants from gear really justifies the existence of another currency? And it's not even traded, it's a sink, they could have made removing enchants require AD just like appearance change. If one single, minor change can remove a currency from a game, it's not really that useful.

Oh and to all those people who say they need gold because they use a lot of potion and injury kits in dungeons, check the AH please.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    Does removing enchants from gear really justifies the existence of another currency? And it's not even traded, it's a sink, they could have made removing enchants require AD just like appearance change. If one single, minor change can remove a currency from a game, it's not really that useful.

Oh and to all those people who say they need gold because they use a lot of potion and injury kits in dungeons, check the AH please.

Removing enchants *used to* cost ADs - they changed it to cost gold now, instead. Gold is what is used to pay for the necessities.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    thecorpserthecorpser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    400 gold made me 400K AD today. It's not useless. And if AD is hard to come buy, then how can say you make it easily?

Edit: Also, why does the auctioneer say, " i have 20 gold, can I get 25" when the AH is AD based? :)
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Removing enchants *used to* cost ADs - they changed it to cost gold now, instead. Gold is what is used to pay for the necessities.

Yes, to artificially give gold value, if gold was intrinsically useful such change wouldn't be necessary.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    Yes, to artificially give gold value, if gold was intrinsically useful such change wouldn't be necessary.

Even before the change, people were selling keys for gold. If gold had no value, why would people do that? Regardless, gold is kind of a staple of fantasy settings - our characters don't need to eat as such, but you do you gold to buy basic gear...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    There's not enough gold sinks in this game. It used to be a 1 gold:1K AD ratio, but now 2.5 gold:1K AD ratio. If they made a class respec for GF to become another class with gold, gold would have strong value.
  • Options
    maxshivermaxshiver Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the purpose of gold is great, you can buy companions,mounts, pots, kits, and the stuff about enchantments as well

HOWEVER

The fact is, anyone can get a MASSIVE amounts of gold in a matter of minutes!

There are LEGIT ways to get over 100 gold in less than 30 minutes.

Because gold is so easy to get, it devalues gold as a currency imo...even tho it can still be useful
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »

That's one of the changes that was a pleasant surprise to me after I came back from a long break.
    I wish they would do the same thing for the cosmetic gear changes, I'd actually use them then - provided it wasn't an insane price like 100G to change the look of your helmet or something like that.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Run through a couple of pug Epics (preferably Mad Dragon & Grey Wolf Den) and you'll be spending all that useless gold on stacks of healing potions.
  • Options
    jmikezjmikez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    U need the gold to buy the best potions in game which costs around 25gold a stack. Get a legendary Auroras catalog (summon shop). Buy the epic potions, and never need a DC again. =)
    Jeanne -- 21.8k PvP CW
    Michael -- 21.1k PvP Sent GWF
    morePewPewlessQQ -- 20k Pvp/PvE HR
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    again, the items you buy with gold are great , for low lvls as well as for high lvls...

but the fact is you can get a massive amounts of gold almost instantly without any effort at all...

a lvl 15 character can get 50ish gold in 1 hour...thats 2 stacks of potions right there and im talking about a brand new, common gear, no main char funding lvl 15 character....

again

Is gold worthless ? no
    Why? Cause you get to spend it from lvl 1-60 on always useful items, inclooding your alts
    Is gold hard to get? absolutely NO
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    As for the statement a lvl15 can get 50G an hour, I know I couldn't. Maybe an alt can if it's grinding mobs, but a regular player will just play through the storyline, buys a few pots and still have enough gold left to buy his/her first mount.

I mentioned a brand new lvl 15 char, without any funding from another high lvl character.

just like there are more ways to get AD ,other than daily quests, so too are more ways of getting gold other than grinding mobs... and yes im talking about legit ways. no ZEN , spammers ,exploits ,bugs,or real money involving

For a brand new player its hard yes, but once you play for a while you will find out about some tricks