test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

known unknowns and unknown unknowns

chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Foundry
I played The Dungeon Crawler several times both within and without the foundry, I then got it to daily status. I tried it again on a new GWF rather than my usual RH. It was a lot harder, but that is to be expected, it is melee orientated and if you can keep away from the damage you are likely to get through more easily.

Now, do not get me wrong, it is not hard, the difficulty is strictly solo. I had areas of the dungeon that closed behind you and I had taken great care to ensure they re-open should you die and find yourself back in the respawn area (so that one might find their way back).

I had died in each map to ensure this worked, it did.

It was now a daily (although it still has few plays if anyone fancies it); I had manage to beg and trade plays out of enough people to reach the 20 mark. It has a solid 4.5 rating (ignoring the adjusted rating). Then I was reviewing reviews and there was a 1 star with the simple remark of 'respawn bugged'

I tried it again, all seemed fine. I consulted guildies- apparently no problem. Finally by chance I tried it on my GWF and died. So happened that a fraction of my respawn point was outside of the map area. I do not know why this was different to my RH but it was, and my GWF spawned beyond the bounds of the map and fell to its death.

Obviously I have altered it now, but dam I have learnt I need to test everything with every toon before I can be confident it works.
My new quest:

WIP
Post edited by chinspinner on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...but dam I have learnt I need to test everything with every toon before I can be confident it works.

Ditto.
    Ditto, again.

ALWAYS test with every class there is.
    I tested, retested and re-retested all my quests for a couple weeks in every possible scenario I could think of. Then I got a similar review on the third quest of my campaign (though it wasn't quite as pithy and it was still three stars).

So I mailed the player, thanking them for playing my quest and explained that I want to make it better, but I didn't understand their review comment. It turns out he was playing with a level 60 Devoted Cleric.

Allow me to repeat: Level 60 Devoted Cleric.

As much as I had tested and balanced and rebalanced and retested my quest, a Level 60 Devoted Cleric suffered torture trying to get through the final fight. I had forgotten that the Level 60 DC is the squishiest/least powerful/death-friendly class of the all. So I rebalanced for that class and level specifically.

As a Foundry Author I recommend always testing with each class at level 32 (or whatever the highest is inside the Foundry) and balance your combat. Then, if you have them - play the quest on your level 60 toons. This is an absolute must. If you can't do this, then you should balance your quests for a fun fight, but not too difficult. If you get comments saying it's too easy, then you can rebalance that way. But play it safe: because level 60 balance in game mechanics is specifically designed to where every fight can be a challenge in most cases. In other words: encounter difficulty levels-up exponentially.

Oh, and never, ever, EVER stack mobs. Daisy-chained? Sure, but never stack them.

Just my too sense. :)
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Allow me to repeat: Level 60 Devoted Cleric.

As much as I had tested and balanced and rebalanced and retested my quest, a Level 60 Devoted Cleric suffered torture trying to get through the final fight. I had forgotten that the Level 60 DC is the squishiest/least powerful/death-friendly class of the all. So I rebalanced for that class and level specifically.

To be fair, I think many players that are not experienced in mmo's are attracted to healer classes for some reason. I noticed with my first quest that a few DC's had struggled with some area's but other classes were complaining that it was too easy.

My response was to roll my own DC (not a class I can say I enjoy) I work on the principle that if I can do it then it's easy enough. You simply will never please everyone, especially in combat difficulty. Even if you go so far as to have a difficulty slider people will still pick the wrong one for their own level and complain about it. The point is if you aim to please poor DC's no one else will be happy.

The best idea is to work towards your own level. Aim to please yourself. That way you will get like minded subscribers who will know what their in for. This will really help when a quest is in the early stages, where one 1 star can really hurt.

For the op, it happens. I test my own quests enough for me to put them into daily on a variety of classes and still miss things. The player base is less forgiving than they were in beta too. There is not a quest in the world that will survive unscathed by the 1 starers.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    There is not a quest in the world that will survive unscathed by the 1 starers.

Painful, but very true. I concur: build for yourself. That is the key to a quality work. Because if you build it for yourself, you'll be anal about how it plays. And it will be the like-minded who will love you for it. As for the rest: Develop thick skin. LOL