test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion keybinding and swaping mechanic idea

fantach123fantach123 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I noticed most people just use an augmented companion for dungeons and how currently things work that won't change.
The only people not using a stone are those who either can't afford one or are tired of it.
While other companions are mostly used for leveling and 1-man content.
My idea is just to make non-augmented companions more viable and not to kill off augmented companions.

The Idea

So my idea was to add key-binding for your active companions.
As far as I know F1 to F6 keyboard buttons are not used for anything so I recommend that for the default.
Where F1 would be for Summon/Dismiss last used compaion, while F2-F6 would be to summon one of your 5 active compaions.
What does that mean? It means you can swap your companions out of combat with shortcuts.
It would give people more freedom considering companions then just going with the cookie-cutter style while doing dungeons. Summoning and swapping your companions as you progress in the dungeon depending on enemy etc.

Players could easily swap companions depending on what part of the dungeons they are without any need to their teammates to wait for them and there are parts of some dungeons where you need to dismiss your companion so that it doesn't aggro monsters you are trying to bypass.

The Balancing

Since non-augmented companions are NPCs with their own AI that can not be influenced by the player they pull and aggro monsters, they position themselves poorly, never try to avoid AoE, they get stuck in objects and they can easily die.
Those things make an augmented companion The peoples choice it simply gives stats + none of the problems i just mentioned.

So to even out the playing field I thought of 2 things:
1. That non-augmented companions take less AoE damage ( Seams easier then making a smarter AI)
OR
2. With the implementation of the companion key-binding to also allow players to swap companions while in combat with restrictions like a cooldown on that mechanic, maybe 1-2 minutes or once per combat.

Since you would be able to swap companions in combat, does that mean you can just summon another when one dies? (note there would be a cooldown)
I think that would be too much to ask for.

I understand some people won't bother with swapping and will just keep the stone, that is perfectly fine.

What do you guys think about this?
Post edited by fantach123 on

Comments

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It saddens me that non-augment companions are practically useless in PvE. I'd love to have some improvement there. At this moment they are more a liability than support.
    Nevertheless, for some strange reason I like to level them.
    It just happens that I forget to swap them again for this useful stone in a dungeon, leaving we wondering why my damage is low. And who the hell is using this or that companion just pulling critters to us. Just to find out its my companion.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would love the ability to summon/unsummon companions on the fly. I mostly tend to use my fawn, because she's most useful for healing me during/between the combats and even if I sometimes want to use another one when I'm in full health, it's too much trouble to swap them on the fly. Also when in dungeon and my companion dies in the middle of a boss fight, I'd like to quickly unsummon her so I or others won't mistake her for a fallen player.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree. It would be great to be able to use the F keys to turn on/off and/or switch companions. We're already using the keyboard anyway.

I would also like the ability to use a single hotkey to switch powers between mob and boss. Example - as an HR, use rapid and split shot with Twin Blade. When getting to a boss, use the hotkey to switch to split shot and aimed shot along with Blade Storm. It's cumbersome to have to open your Power tab, drag/drop the changes, close the window, etc.

BTW - I fall into the first category. I can't (yet) afford a Stone. One day soon hopefully.
    I aim to misbehave
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fantach123 wrote: »
    So to even out the playing field I thought of 2 things:
    1. That non-augmented companions take less AoE damage ( Seams easier then making a smarter AI)
    OR
    2. With the implementation of the companion key-binding to also allow players to swap companions while in combat with restrictions like a cooldown on that mechanic, maybe 1-2 minutes or once per combat.

What do you guys think about this?

Sounds very sensible.

1. A lot of games have AOE damage reduction for summoned creatures / companions although I thought this was already implemented for Neverwinter Online also? Even if it is it could do with a buff as companions do die a little bit more easily than I would like.

2. Even a 30 second swap out-of combat swap option would be fine. Though as you can't summon a companion if you are in combat anyway this isn't really that great of a potential issue.
  • fantach123fantach123 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    silence1x wrote: »

I would also like the ability to use a single hotkey to switch powers between mob and boss. Example - as an HR, use rapid and split shot with Twin Blade. When getting to a boss, use the hotkey to switch to split shot and aimed shot along with Blade Storm. It's cumbersome to have to open your Power tab, drag/drop the changes, close the window, etc.

A preset of skills that you can swap before fights sound really handy for all classes.
    P.S. Good luck on getting that stone
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would like to have different configurations and be able to easily switch between them - solo PvE, DD groups and DD boss fights being my three current configurations, which involve different gear, different powers and even different companions. I would love to be able to switch between the configurations with F1, F2....whatever. I would also be willing to buy "configuration slots" in the Zen store - this could be a nice additional source of income, and is a typical "pay for convenience" thing that I have no problem spending real cash on.
    Hoping for improvements...