test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Change DD to a quest.

almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Basically as stated. Instead of having a 1 hour period in which to maniacally run as many dungeons as possible, remove the DD event completely and replace with with a quest. Maybe you pick up this quest from rhix, maybe knox, idc.
But it should be a daily-style quest that allows access to the former DD chest, and has a 3 hour CD to reflect the average 2 runs in every DD every 6 hours. This way, people from different timezones and people that have real lives can do dungeons consistently instead of the times they get lucky and their free time matches a DD, removes to pvp hour rush for preclears, and reduce the "dungeon spam" of people rushing to do 30 PK runs in an hour.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gosuchanggosuchang Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think this is quite a good idea, especially for someone like me who has limited playtime after work.

Some thoughts:
    - what are the odds of someone running a dungeon with you if he doesn't have the DD quest? Might be hard to form full party where everyone has the quest at the same time. Unless one has a guild who doesn't mind "helping" out a guildie.

- some groups are really fast and can do 30 PK runs in 1 hour, this new implementation would mean that they can only do at most 8 a day, and at different times. Some people might not approve of this, if farming PK intensely during DD hour is their main source of income.

- what would be a good replacement for the DD hour then? More professions/foundry hours? Hmm.
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gosuchang2 wrote: »
    I think this is quite a good idea, especially for someone like me who has limited playtime after work.

Some thoughts:
    - what are the odds of someone running a dungeon with you if he doesn't have the DD quest? Might be hard to form full party where everyone has the quest at the same time. Unless one has a guild who doesn't mind "helping" out a guildie.

- some groups are really fast and can do 30 PK runs in 1 hour, this new implementation would mean that they can only do at most 8 a day, and at different times. Some people might not approve of this, if farming PK intensely during DD hour is their main source of income.

- what would be a good replacement for the DD hour then? More professions/foundry hours? Hmm.

For your first point: It could be set up that if someone else in the party has the quest, you'll get much lesser rewards, but still there., Additionally, if its on a cd rather than a set hour, most people will be lfg'ing at all times of the day becuase not everyone can get on every 3 hours exactly, which is the point.

2nd: This is a failing on cryptic's part, it's unfortunate that between DD's people have nothing better to do than sit around and level, maybe do skirmishes or something. Something should certainly be added to make dungeons worth doing while not during DD/a DD quest. otherwise people will feel the need to spam runs to make money rather than doing other things.

3rd: Perhaps they could replace DD with a leveling hour, with double xp from kills? I wish they whould introduce new types of content that could fill this spot, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
  • nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I'll get behind anything that removes the horrible design decision that is DD. What I enjoy in mmo's in cooperative pve, and this game having pve limited to a few hours a day is absurd. I think like most low population mmo's, timed events were created to boost numbers for the content....except that I think ironically they end up hurting a games population, and keeping it low.

The PK farmers can still spam PK as many times as they like, they just wont get the chest every time and the 3-4k rough AD that probably goes over their 24k cap anyway.....

Give me a key or two each day via a daily quest that allows me to unlock the chest in ANY dungeon at ANY time of the day. Keep the DD hour as the hour in which you can talk to the NPC and get those keys, so everyone will get the keys at the same time, and boost numbers the same as before, since most will likely want to run their daily dungeons right when they get their key(s). However, this allows people like me and many others that rarely get to be on for DD, and thus have virtually zero reason to run any dungeons, to grab their key(s) and access that chest whenever they have time later in the day.

People still run dungeons all day, I see them looking in chat constantly, although I'm not sure why...but this key concept will undoubtedly make dungeons (which seem to be a major part of the game) more enjoyable, more relevant throughout the day, give players more to do throughout the day, likely make them play more often and enjoy their time more, and also likely make them want to spend more money.

I cannot be the only one that feels DD is one of the worst design decisions they've ever seen in an mmo? I've only been playing for a couple months, so I don't know how longs its been in the game and how it functioned before it was implemented, but it doesn't seem well thought out at all. Point is....there really isn't much for a pve-er to do when it's not DD. Sure I can run a dungeon and maybe get a drop I might be able to sell on the AH, but I'd rather run a dungeon at any time of the day and stand a remote chance to get a useful piece of gear for myself.

I'm already completely bored and looking for another game. If I could log in, grab a key, and start looking for a party for a dungeon (even if it took longer) I would absolutely enjoy the game more. With DD gone dungeons would be less a chore of attempting to rush through as fast as possible to queue for another. Sure class imbalances and preferences would still exist for fast groups, but they wouldn't be the most important factor.

Anyway...virtually ANYTHING is better than the chance for a player to get a useful piece of gear for themselves being restricted to a couple set hours per day. I'd place a heavy bet this idea would raise the population and make more money for the developers.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've never been a fan of the timed events as they create the wrong motivations, even Star Trek Online has officially abandoned them. Turning all the timed stuff into dailies is the easiest answer. Count my vote as a yes on this one.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    The answer is keys! They have already mentioned this, and it was rumored to be part of Module 2, but got pulled back, so I expect to see it pushed out in the future.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I've never been a fan of the timed events as they create the wrong motivations, even Star Trek Online has officially abandoned them. Turning all the timed stuff into dailies is the easiest answer. Count my vote as a yes on this one.

Yep, if you miss that evening's DD because you're cooking dinner, commuting or whatever, all you can really do is spam dailies and log out, if you care as little for this game's PvP as I do. It's probably long overdue a revision to a key/daily quest format, as it's just making the game borderline unplayable and certainly less fun for a lot of folks.

Outside of DD windows, dungeoncrawling is all but dead, and that seems like a glaring design flaw.
  • dhuras1dhuras1 Member Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    some groups are really fast and can do 30 PK runs in 1 hour,

Anyone else wondering how to do PK in 2 minutes?
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dhuras1 wrote: »
    Anyone else wondering how to do PK in 2 minutes?
    This was mostly an exaggeration, fastest ive been in one is 10 mins.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This was mostly an exaggeration, fastest ive been in one is 10 mins.

Somewhere around 8-10mins is probably the limit just due to run speed.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    STO getting rid of the timed events was a move that was long overdue, the ones I was interested in doing almost always came along around 3am my time which isnt ideal even for someone that has trouble with insomnia.

I can see their worth as a mechanic to get people running dungeons but there are people that wont run dungeons outside that hour because they wont get the chest even if it drops nothing of real worth for a levelling character at least. Having the hour timer will also encourage people into the exploiting for speed mentality that has been cultivated by cryptics apparent reluctance to plug loopholes in instances.

OK the 2 minutes for a single PK run may be something of an exageration but that just highlights an issue with the system, easier or faster places will be farmed for the AD's while the more interesting one will be ignored because for some unknown reason the daily dungeon quest from rhix has never to my knowledge been any of the epic dungeons. STO at least has a cooldwon timer in place so you have to rotate a bit, having something similar wouldnt hurt.
  • gosuchanggosuchang Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How about a daily quest for each dungeon? Can probably implement a longer cooldown timer for each quest, but i think this might make people start playing all of the dungeons instead of sticking to "lfg T2/CN/MC/VT 20K exp plz qq"
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gosuchang2 wrote: »
    How about a daily quest for each dungeon? Can probably implement a longer cooldown timer for each quest, but i think this might make people start playing all of the dungeons instead of sticking to "lfg T2/CN/MC/VT 20K exp plz qq"

Well to be fair once you have enough gear to complete t2's why would you run t1's other than nostalgia, achievements, or helping someone out. Even with a daily quest system you still wouldn't see people running stuff they don't need gear out of like t1's. T2's people run even if they don't need gear for enchants and drops to sell.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    salvage all i can say...
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Implementing keys to be able to run dungeons and get the chest at the end is the most sound idea I have seen. The current DD system seems to do nothing but encourage some the worst behavior in this MMO. I will say though there is plenty to do outside of dungeon crawls in this game. I personally can't stand PvP, but that still leaves the dailies, Foundry quests, and Achievement hunting to do. Not to mention character development that does require some thought to do properly. Too many people just seem to rush this aspect without applying to much thought and then wonder why their character ran off the rails.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]