test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning playing, Interested in making a hunter. Few questions inside, thanks!

teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Wilds
I've just returned to NW after a good 6 month hiatus(played for a week in there, but otherwise it's been a long time) I've been reading that hunters are quite popular as it's the new class in town(of course) but when looking at the forums here I don't actually see many full on guides like I remember being in some of the other class forums way back.

Firstly, I'm curious if a build like this one is still nicely done? Yes, I know it's likely still viable ;) I'm just trying to work something out that mixes ranged with melee and Not have to respec come 60 etc :D

Secondly, and let me say first that I really like the look of Ranger and hope it ends up doing quite well...nor will I NOT make one regardless, it seems from most of the videos and through the grapevine etc that rangers are currently in a position where they actually do less DPS than CW's(which I have a nicely geared 60 of) and provide less overall party contribution etc as well. I've seen a few videos, one included in the above link as well, where the HR was fully decked out and still lowest DPS with 3 CW's all above and obviously those CW's adding far more breathing room/CC etc AND damage contribution to the team. Is this something the dev's have acknowledged or is this up in limbo/who knows what will happen atm?

IMO it's completely irrelevant whether a HR CAN be a nice addition if there is a VERY populous other class that can just add more. Seems silly, I hope that is not the case lol, or at least that they have acknowledged as much etc. Anyhow, I'm still going to give one a go :) Thanks for any advice on the above!
Post edited by teflondon75 on

Comments

• Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    mmm those grapevines are usually other classes bashing it at least i think. Maybe a few 100k damage difference between cw and hr unless both are at high gear even then its only that they have more targets for aoe they don't hit harder per hit than we do by a long shot except for maybe two encounters and an ice knife.

I've never really had much trouble with groups or not being able to burn adds with HR. It's a very fun class that requires actual concentration & timing to play well.

and its because of the fact that cw aoe is so high that most people don't care for multi rangers and why there are so few guides.

and of course the hr lost out there were 3 cws way too much aoe for anything to handle thusly the hr didn't hit as much.

but 1 cw and 1 ranger will be pretty close.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?554351-My-experience-with-the-ranger-class - gameplay, skill & tactics guide written by me if you care to read.

Hr is a nice addition even if haters don't think so.
  • Options
    teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mmm those grapevines are usually other classes bashing it at least i think. Maybe a few 100k damage difference between cw and hr unless both are at high gear even then its only that they have more targets for aoe they don't hit harder per hit than we do by a long shot except for maybe two encounters and an ice knife.

I've never really had much trouble with groups or not being able to burn adds with HR. It's a very fun class that requires actual concentration & timing to play well.

and its because of the fact that cw aoe is so high that most people don't care for multi rangers and why there are so few guides.

and of course the hr lost out there were 3 cws way too much aoe for anything to handle thusly the hr didn't hit as much.

but 1 cw and 1 ranger will be pretty close.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?554351-My-experience-with-the-ranger-class - gameplay, skill & tactics guide written by me if you care to read.

Hr is a nice addition even if haters don't think so.

Thanks masterjewstar, I'll definitely take a look through that, much appreciated. Right you are, most complaints likely are just garbage. It's been my experience having played MMO's since the mid 1990's that often there is a grain of truth in these sort of things though. It sucks, but if you have two classes and one is slightly higher damage overall(AoE or otherwise, my remembrance of NW was 100% of encounters were mass adds so AoE is still relevant even in boss fights) AND brings better CC/Ease/Breathing space etc then sorry, so sad, but the one that makes life easier is going to win out in the majority of gamers minds. Personal flavor aside of course.

It's just my opinion of course ;) CW have(or did...unless something has changed since I left) incredible mob handling AND DPS. You can't take another, new, ranged class and give it both lesser over all DPS and less team benefit. That's complete baloney lol. Honestly I think this is a product of CW's just having TOO much of a good thing and I feel I can say that as I've played many hours on a decently geared one. 6 months ago I felt pretty godly on mine, I'm sure little is different now. This is really the same issue people had between GWF and CW's way back, GWF simply added little compared to a CW when the CW had equal/+ dps and brought more team benefit. I've read that is since changed and GWF are higher damage.

Anyhow, I'm ruining my own thread haha! I'll take a look at your link, I'm going to enjoy my HR regardless and thanks again!
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    sure anything to help and HR has plenty to offer the party in terms of survivability with buffs and roots, and prones & stuns all help with protecting other squishier characters.

but a cw will be an asset to every class because of intense control but an hr is an asset so long as there aren't 3 of them. 1 is usually enough.

btw i haven't posted since my last post and some things may have changed but its still viable gameplay wise.