test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A couple of questions regarding crafting

discotrashdiscotrash Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi all,

I've just reached level 11 and have a quick look at the professions/crafting and have been reading the Wiki page for more info. However, I'm just wondering which craft might be a good choice to pick up for a new player to the game? Is there a "basic" craft that might be worth checking out if I only have the one character at the moment? I'm playing a Hunter Ranger so I'm not really sure which craft to work on. I have been leveling the Leadership one a bit so far.

Another question. Is it possible to gather items needed for the crafting in Nevewinter and then use any left over items to sell on the Auction House? Like some games have mining etc?

Thank you
Post edited by discotrash on

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For the most part, I just do Leadership as it provides a good income of AD. Takes a long time to get it to rank 20 though. You can save time by spending AD on better quality workers rather than training them yourself, but you have to spend AD to make AD, so it may be awhile after you hit rank 20 before you break even.

Tailoring/Leatherworking/Mailsmithing/Platesmithing take less time to level up but only provide limited income unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of AD to buy Epic quality tools and mats to make the top quality products. Otherwise, you can make shirts and pants which will help a little as you level up and reinforce your T2 gloves when you get them. Rangers use leatherworking for this.

Weaponsmithing/Artificing takes longer to level up than the previous, but much less time than Leadership. Income possibility is close to nil, but you'll need the appropriate skill to get the BIS weapon for your class.

Personally, I just rank up leadership as quickly as I can and start making AD with my chars. It doesn't take that long to get to rank 13 in it, which allows you to get some decent tasks for that. You need to get to rank 20 to make the real money though as there's a common repeatable task that will easily give you close to 10,000 AD a day.

Most resources you need for crafting can be found as loot. Some you can buy for gold and some you can gather using the profession itself. You can sell anything you don't need on the AH.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • cohrockcohrock Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Discotrash, I somewhat agree with Pitshade's emphasis on Leadership. It is nice to have another ongoing source of Astral Diamonds (besides the hourly prayers).

That said, each of my character chose two other crafts as well. Depending on a character's class, two of the professions support the class directly.

* Devoted Cleric: artificing, mailsmithing
    * Trickster Rogue: weaponsmithing, leatherworking
    * Hunter Ranger: weaponsmithing, leatherworking
    * Guardian Fighter: weaponsmithing, platesmithing
    * Great Weapon Fighter: weaponsmithing, mailsmithing
    * Control Wizard: artificing, tailoring

Working three professions at once will eventually allow you to open another profession slot. That will take a while, but you can relatively quickly get two extra slots open by getting one profession to level 3 and reaching level 30 on your character.

As far as I know, you can sell all crafting resources and tools at any store. One way to earn xp in a profession is to gather basic resources (such as hides or iron ore). Then, you can make intermediate materials using purchased resources from the profession vendor in the main market. These purchased crafting resources include charcoal and rock salt. Once you have the intermediate resources, you can start crafting actual goods. Most goods will require residium, which is a fairly common resource drop and chest item. You also occasionally need rarer resources such as an arcane crystal, which you come upon while adventuring. The profession vendor also sells low-grade tools which are needed for crafting. Unlike the other resources mentioned, the tools are reusable.
    -- Rich