test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best companions for GWF?

al3xmerceral3xmercer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hello! I am farming new GWF. And i have some questions about my pets..

Can you suggest me some pets for pvp and pve? Thanks!
Your Touch MY BLISS!
Post edited by al3xmercer on

Comments

• helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Hola there.

At the starting levels, a Cleric Disciple should be awesome enough to heal you as you level. Or you might want to get Ioun Stone of Might/Allure straight out, which gives you some stats (good for any level imo).

Companions can't be summoned in PvP though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    helloz2 has the right of it... Definitely recommend a Cleric to start. :cool:

If you are willing to buy a companion on the AH or Zen Shop, I'd suggest an Ioun Stone of Allure or an Ioun Stone of Might. They are both the best companions a GWF can have. Either one works well as they share their Stats with you... Really good!

Also, what kind of GWF are you looking to make? A Sentinel, Destroyer or Instigator?
    va8Ru.gif
  • al3xmerceral3xmercer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    helloz2 has the right of it... Definitely recommend a Cleric to start. :cool:

If you are willing to buy a companion on the AH or Zen Shop, I'd suggest an Ioun Stone of Allure or an Ioun Stone of Might. They are both the best companions a GWF can have. Either one works well as they share their Stats with you... Really good!

Also, what kind of GWF are you looking to make? A Sentinel, Destroyer or Instigator?

I already have Cleric Companion.I am sentinel GWF which wen to Iron Vanguard Path.(mostly pvp)

But i want to be usefull in pve so i want to choose my companions wisely :) thanks for all!

I have swashbuckler , cleric , renedage illisionist atm.

I guess swashbuckler's active is good.
    I need the other 4 companion i should get... thanks all again!
    Your Touch MY BLISS!
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    al3xmercer wrote: »
    I already have Cleric Companion.I am sentinel GWF which wen to Iron Vanguard Path.(mostly pvp)

But i want to be usefull in pve so i want to choose my companions wisely :) thanks for all!

I have swashbuckler , cleric , renedage illisionist atm.

I guess swashbuckler's active is good.
    I need the other 4 companion i should get... thanks all again!
    With that, I'd get (in priority):

Ioun Stone of Allure/Might
    Dread Warrior (Zen Store)

And then any two that really interest you... Rust Monster has a great debuff. Fire Archon is good for DPS. Blacksmith is good for damage also as you get hit a lot.

Just some ideas for you! :)
    va8Ru.gif
    edited February 2014
    With that, I'd get (in priority):

Ioun Stone of Allure/Might
    Dread Warrior (Zen Store)

And then any two that really interest you... Rust Monster has a great debuff. Fire Archon is good for DPS. Blacksmith is good for damage also as you get hit a lot.

Just some ideas for you! :)

If you don't mind i want to ask you which companions you use on LEEROY JENKINS!(awesome name)
    Your Touch MY BLISS!
  • helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Well look no further, it's all in the link of awesomeness below.

Click here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If your going for end game companions for an iv gwf and looking to invest a good deal of ad then i suggest the following:
    Ioun stone of might (trade bars)
    Vicious dire wolf (guardian pack - $$ only pet)
    Dancing blade (wondrous bazaar)
    Lightfoot thief (sca)
    Blink dog (tower of celadaine)

Fire archon is good to switch in for boss fights, switch out lightfoot/dire wolf depending on if add fest or single target fight
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My advice
    Ioun Stone (Might or allure but might must be upgraded at least once)
    Blacksmith
    Dread Warrior
    Rust Monster
    Dancing Blade
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    if iron vangourd i recomand u ion stone from c store but do not upgrade to epic this pet makes a lot more easy to have 15% damage boost from trample in pve
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Take a Paladin Ghost. It does absolutely nothing. This will help you learning how to kill foes all by yourself.
    English is not my first language.
    edited February 2014
    thanks for the all replies!
    Your Touch MY BLISS!
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I cannot in good conscience recommend the dread warrior, blacksmith, or ioun stone of allure.

The ioun stone, if the slow proc works at all at any rank (which I doubt), does not proc trample. Even if it did, NSF and FLS already proc trample, so you're gaining a 7% chance to proc slow (not really, but whatev) for IBS. Its not worth the loss of power or armor pen from Might stone.

Blacksmith is simply a poor dps pet. like any other pet does more damage. Even if you are in a really bad queue pug that wipes over and over for 2 hours and you've taken 5 million+ damage, you've still dealt far, far more damage offensively and using a pet that deals dmg on your hits/crits/encounters would have dealt more.

Dread Warrior is a unreliable proc that 10% of the time gives you 25% more threat against the targets you already have/can build threat on thus already have aggro on. It and people who use it represent a fundamental misunderstanding in the way threat works in this game.

You should never, ever have issues holding aggro on the 5 targets that your aoe target caps allow you to hit. With selective use of encounter powers and deep gash procs you can spread this aggro around to most of the mobs in the encounter, and combined with the control from 1 (or typically more) CWs you can hold all the mobs on you without this pet.

The only time you ever "lose" aggro is on mobs you've never build threat on to begin with. onesy twosy mobs that were pulled out of the pack and/or unaggro'd mobs that were behind the rest.These are typically pulled by HRs using split shot and they pull them right out of the kill zone. Regardless of where they were standing or what the circumstances where the reason why you don't have aggro on them is because they are outside of your 5 target cap and you couldn't hit them to begin with.

This is the reason why Perfect Lightning and especially the Lightfoot Thief are great for aggro. They allow you to hit things that you cannot physically hit. Barring those 2 things, the poor man solution is simply to initiate fights with mighty leap, which does allow you to hit everything and build aggro before the split shot spam begins.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If your going for end game companions for an iv gwf and looking to invest a good deal of ad then i suggest the following:
    Ioun stone of might (trade bars)
    Vicious dire wolf (guardian pack - $$ only pet)
    Dancing blade (wondrous bazaar)
    Lightfoot thief (sca)
    Blink dog (tower of celadaine)

Fire archon is good to switch in for boss fights, switch out lightfoot/dire wolf depending on if add fest or single target fight

This. If you can afford these, look at there bonuses, so you understand what they are offering and try to find a suitable alternative.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I cannot in good conscience recommend the dread warrior, blacksmith, or ioun stone of allure.

The ioun stone, if the slow proc works at all at any rank (which I doubt), does not proc trample. Even if it did, NSF and FLS already proc trample, so you're gaining a 7% chance to proc slow (not really, but whatev) for IBS. Its not worth the loss of power or armor pen from Might stone.

Blacksmith is simply a poor dps pet. like any other pet does more damage. Even if you are in a really bad queue pug that wipes over and over for 2 hours and you've taken 5 million+ damage, you've still dealt far, far more damage offensively and using a pet that deals dmg on your hits/crits/encounters would have dealt more.

Dread Warrior is a unreliable proc that 10% of the time gives you 25% more threat against the targets you already have/can build threat on thus already have aggro on. It and people who use it represent a fundamental misunderstanding in the way threat works in this game.

You should never, ever have issues holding aggro on the 5 targets that your aoe target caps allow you to hit. With selective use of encounter powers and deep gash procs you can spread this aggro around to most of the mobs in the encounter, and combined with the control from 1 (or typically more) CWs you can hold all the mobs on you without this pet.

The only time you ever "lose" aggro is on mobs you've never build threat on to begin with. onesy twosy mobs that were pulled out of the pack and/or unaggro'd mobs that were behind the rest.These are typically pulled by HRs using split shot and they pull them right out of the kill zone. Regardless of where they were standing or what the circumstances where the reason why you don't have aggro on them is because they are outside of your 5 target cap and you couldn't hit them to begin with.

This is the reason why Perfect Lightning and especially the Lightfoot Thief are great for aggro. They allow you to hit things that you cannot physically hit. Barring those 2 things, the poor man solution is simply to initiate fights with mighty leap, which does allow you to hit everything and build aggro before the split shot spam begins.

best advice for companions so far! i never understand people using dread warrior
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It does help keep aggro when you pull multiple rooms at once and tend to pull 20+ mobs before stopping to kill. If you only pull a couple over 5 at a time you're right, but that's much slower.
    edited February 2014
    Actually it's 20+ pulls where it matters most and dread warrior does nothing. The more mobs above 5 you fight at once the more unlimited target cap abilities matter. If you only fight 5 at a time then dread warrior is giving 25% more threat sometimes, of course you don't actually need that 25% when you can hit then all.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would love a rust monster, honey badger, pig, and dread warrior for my tank GWF. Rush in and get your brains bashed out.
  • trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    GWF doesn't need a companion. They are an army of one!