test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

jumping in pvp

fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Jumping in PVP is such bogging and silly thing, plus if ur constantly jumping u can accualy dodge atack.

i am sure it should not work this way, jumps should not make u dodge atacks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by fauust01 on

Comments

• facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited February 2014
    Jumping doesnt make u dodge attacks ... its just used from the more experienced players to cancle encounter or at-will animation...
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I jump with my HR so I can keep clear the ground going as I move. Get more distance with a jump than just walking while it's active. Helps me to find TRs that like to hide. I've also found that I can jink people if I jump forward and double-tap back, so that they track my movement forward and my dodge shifts me back to avoid their attack. So.. yes, it can look annoying, but there is an actual reason for doing it.
  • fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jumping doesnt make u dodge attacks ... its just used from the more experienced players to cancle encounter or at-will animation...

and u think it should be allowed ? somekind of such strategy ? i dont think so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jumping does not help you dodge the actual attacks. It seems to be so when people combine jumping with shift (the actual dodge mechanic). More over, there is a low chance that character's cc resistance procs against cc (completely negates the cc effect). It was broken before so that people think that cc cannot be resisted, but it is the opposite.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014

That's almost certainly a bug given that they have addressed other animation canceling tricks as bugs in the past.
  • tittlemcgrittletittlemcgrittle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1.) Certain classes have extreme difficulty landing their at-will abilities without the jump mechanic (Namely TR)
    2.) All players can jump in pvp
    3.) Allowing jumping in pvp increases the skill cap of pvp.

...Now why are you trying to make pvp more static, and even more simple?
  • ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Honestly, as above poster stated, why the hell would you take away one of the very few things that can distinguish a decent player from some muppet who stands still and button mashes. The logic behind this thread astounds me, I don't need to repeat what's been said, it's common sense.

Jumping isn't bugged in any sort of way, it merely gives a wide variety of versatility that can make the slightest positive difference in PvP through generic maneuverability and use of skills.
  • brodyhoule1brodyhoule1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Seems like somebody got dumpstered in PvP by a more experienced PvP'er. Jumping in pvp has no use other than for making people like you upset, because you think it actually does something other than move you a tiny bit more than walking the same amount. It also makes certain abilities a little easier to hit, but if you're not good with them, you won't hit them regardless. The last thing in PvP that needs to be looked at is jumping, especially when there are class specs that can single-handedly dumpster a team with ease.
    My name is Tank, and I will not die.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not broken no need to fix.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • dr132dr132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    it's just a form of movement to utilize. since character movement is so important in this game why would a skilled player ignore something that helps give them greater mobility or causes their opponent confusion? nothing wrong, just figure out how to move better yourself or learn to keep track of jumpers so you can counter them. TR's especially benefit from jumping in order to hit moving targets with their duelist's flurry, it's not a bug or an exploit, rather using basic movement mechanics in conjunction with the attack's mechanics in order to work better. no different than a GF jumping past another GF's shield, turning and knocking him over, just using movement mechanics to gain an edge over their opponent.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I try and jump every time before I teleport on my CW, it makes me feel like I go farther although I've never actually tested it and it's probably just psychological.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Frankly, 90% of the people who hop just hop for the heck of it. There is no "advantage", other than sometimes you get hit by fighter knock-prones and land up in places he doesn't expect.

I jump because it annoys other people who thinks that that jumping somehow provides some obscure or secret advantages in combat, or it somehow exploits the net latency or something. That, and I use jumping to get into the "rythm" of my attack sequences.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    I try and jump every time before I teleport on my CW, it makes me feel like I go farther although I've never actually tested it and it's probably just psychological.

I "tested" it on the CN entrance, there are 2 braziers of sort. You can definitely jump-teleport from one to another, but no way you will do that by just teleporting...
  • synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm assuming this thread was created partially because I played in a PvP match earlier today against the OP and he commented that jumping is annoying (which I was doing a lot of).

I don't use any kind of hack with jumping, and there's no hack/cheat that I know of that uses it. Jumping allows you to change direction in mid-air, aim while moving, confuse opponents, and cause them to waste encounters by mis-aiming. Why wouldn't you use it? It's part of the game and not everyone can do it effectively.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
    edited February 2014
    synozeer wrote: »
    I'm assuming this thread was created partially because I played in a PvP match earlier today against the OP and he commented that jumping is annoying (which I was doing a lot of).

I don't use any kind of hack with jumping, and there's no hack/cheat that I know of that uses it. Jumping allows you to change direction in mid-air, aim while moving, confuse opponents, and cause them to waste encounters by mis-aiming. Why wouldn't you use it? It's part of the game and not everyone can do it effectively.

Exactly the only thing tactical about jumping is to confuse people. If you jump around and change your direction a bunch they'll have trouble catching you. It's just mind games.
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    synozeer wrote: »

This.

Jumping in PvP is in no means trolling or being annoying.

It's a good way to dodge certain enemy attacks and a good form of mobility while your character regenerates it's lost stamina.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    helloz2 wrote: »
    This.

Jumping in PvP is in no means trolling or being annoying.

It's a good way to dodge certain enemy attacks and a good form of mobility while your character regenerates it's lost stamina.

It's in no means an exploit though. Say for an example a GWF was to use Frontline Surge on me and right before he does it, I jump behind him, causing him to miss because I was able to effectively evade the attack.

And yes sometimes it is just trolling and being annoying. I do it when I get cocky on my GWF. I jump around absorbing all the damage, stopping to type something in the chat, and taunt the enemy team. I have never, ever, ever, ever dodged an attack like I would have if I used the shift key. The only way to dodge with jumping is to move out of the way which is 100% fair.
  • pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It feels more like a mechanism exploitation than an actual battle strategy, so i don t like it
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jump cast and jump shift is just a way to stay mobile. It's part of the mechanic and avoids being rooted in long animations. It's part of the mechanics, so stop whining?
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    Exactly the only thing tactical about jumping is to confuse people. If you jump around and change your direction a bunch they'll have trouble catching you. It's just mind games.

Um, no. While you are banging on your keyboard changing directions and jumping, I simply hit one key <Control> before attacking you.
    edited February 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Um, no. While you are banging on your keyboard changing directions and jumping, I simply hit one key <Control> before attacking you.

Good.

Classic target fixation. Keep the padlock on, easier for our teammember to circle around and hit from the backside.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Good.

Classic target fixation. Keep the padlock on, easier for our teammember to circle around and hit from the backside.

Ha! Didn't say hit it and hold it to the exclusion of everything else -- just hit it and effortlessly auto-target any "Mexican jumping beans." All that leaping and prancing instantly nullified by a single keypress.

But, you're right -- I'm sure there are those <control> addicts that just make it nice and easy for flanking. :p
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You keep jumping around like an idiot in a game where almost every attack has auto aim lock-on and it doesn't make you move any faster.

What they should do is make it so that if you get hit while jumping you end up knocked down.
  • johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    Jumping is good.

It burns Cal bro.

Except if you lift, burning cal is the last thing you want to do. What kind of bro are you? Do you even lift? #BROSCIENCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

Also, I have a habit of jumping, turning in air, then shooting an at-will. It makes it seem like I am not losing ground to attack as I kite, but really it does nothing. I've noticed if I use an ability while jumping it actually stops me and drops me straight down. It gives no significant advantage and if you think so you're either bad at PvP or bad in general.
    edited February 2014
    Except if you lift, burning cal is the last thing you want to do. What kind of bro are you? Do you even lift? #BROSCIENCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

Also, I have a habit of jumping, turning in air, then shooting an at-will. It makes it seem like I am not losing ground to attack as I kite, but really it does nothing. I've noticed if I use an ability while jumping it actually stops me and drops me straight down. It gives no significant advantage and if you think so you're either bad at PvP or bad in general.

Like said, people don't like to see someone jumping like an idiot.

Lesson #1 in the art of PvP: "Do stuff that your opponent hates." If the opponent actually thinks I'm a skill-less idiot, then good. The higher the chance that he underestimates me, and makes stupid, cocky decisions.
  • johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    I should clarify my post. I didn't mean people who jump are bad, I meant people who complain about it have no real argument.
  • sepuzsepuz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the OP is "jumping" the gun here, c wut i did thar?

Jumping in PvP has such minimal effect on the balance, when most abilities are "locked on" the moment you target the enemy, it clearly aint the first thing they need to fix about NWs PvP. If anything, you should to learn to counter that, like moving slightly ahead of the opponent to guarantee the hits.

If you feel like its breaking your experience, i can assure you there are hundred other, even more annoying things that will too at the moment.
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If its used to cancel animations its a problem but pvp in neverwinter is bad so it doesnt really matter
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The game already has auto aim for goodness sake. How easy do you want it to be? Personally I'd like to see HRs, CWs and TRs have to actually aim to hit their ranged attacks, but I suspect that's a massive minority view :D
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?