test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Madness Boon

frontsidebluntfrontsideblunt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
I'm wondering is anyone has this boon, and if it's worth it. I'd like to know how often a stack procs. Is it useful in PvP? How noticeable is the buffs after you get the 50 stack?
Post edited by frontsideblunt on

Comments

• ofkathriaofkathria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I haven't paid much attention to the numbers, but I can tell you that it procs very often. The bit in the description about "one stack per second" is flat-out not true; I seem to get a stack every time I hit an enemy, and one AoE attack will yield a stack for each enemy struck. This means you can expect it to proc pretty consistently without having to think about it much.
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ofkathria wrote: »
    I haven't paid much attention to the numbers, but I can tell you that it procs very often. The bit in the description about "one stack per second" is flat-out not true; I seem to get a stack every time I hit an enemy, and one AoE attack will yield a stack for each enemy struck. This means you can expect it to proc pretty consistently without having to think about it much.

Which is good because if it worked like the description said it'd be pretty useless.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    Which is good because if it worked like the description said it'd be pretty useless.

As opposed to being completely OP as it is right now?
    edited February 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    As opposed to being completely OP as it is right now?

Considering the crapload of daily grind I had to go to get it, it'd better be "something" impressive. That aside here are the real effects of madness:

Power bonus = Weapon Damage * (1 + Power/2500)
    So a bonus of 600 power adds 0.24 to your usual equation. Barely any extra when you have to score in the thousands and your weapon is only 600-800 or a little more (about +200 on a good day).

% of Lost Health Regenerated Every 3 Seconds = 0.2077*Regeneration^1.3/(LevelConstant+Regeneration^1.3)
    level constant for level 60 is 12938
    So a bonus of 300 regeneration by itself is 2.36% of your missing health regenerated (it scales though so the higher the stat the lesser the effect, which means that's the highest bonus you'll get).

% Of Damage Gained As Hit Points = 0.205*LifeSteal^1.3/(LevelConstant+LifeSteal^1.3)
    level constant for level 60 is between 12710 and 12713 (assume 12710 for best results).
    So a bonus of 300 life steal by itself is again, 2.36% of your total damage dealth scaling with level (so again highest bonus you'll possibly get is +2.36%).

And you get that for 10 seconds at a time. True it procs often but I've yet to see it add a significant amount to my damage or my self healing abilities.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And considering that it procs off any sort of damage right now, the uptime is close to 95% as well, especially on CW/GWF.

Free 1200 "gs" essentially in stats that are either desirable or already hard to get.

You also get more % lifesteal/regen than you calculated as the curve has "diminishing returns" in its early portion as well as the late portion, with the middle portion getting max benefit.
    edited February 2014
    You also get more % lifesteal/regen than you calculated as the curve has "diminishing returns" in its early portion as well as the late portion, with the middle portion getting max benefit.

True. Developers are about as loathe to share their full calculations as they are to share the ideas they're going to add before it reaches the shard. Can't find anything that factors in diminishing returns for those stats.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    In the spirit of all the other boons, WAI would be not more that one stack per second, making the boon active 10 sec in a minute.

Hopefully when they fix it they will offer a free boon-respec.
    English is not my first language.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And considering that it procs off any sort of damage right now, the uptime is close to 95% as well, especially on CW/GWF.

This is pretty much exaggerated. I'd say uptime is around 45-50% or so.
    edited February 2014
    If you have 8 mobs nearby, 1 Steal Time with any damage enhancing Weapon Enchant (say Plaguefire) = 50 stacks.
    Considering you normally have at least that many mobs nearby, and Steal Time cooldown isn't much higher (+ you can trigger with other stuff and DoT continues to tick and grant stacks), 95% uptime is very much achievable.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    95% uptime would mean every time the buff falls off, you gain 50 madness in the next 0.526 seconds.

If they ever make it match the tooltip, in a best-case scenario Rampaging Madness will average out to 200 stat points.
    (600 + 300 + 300) * 10 / 60 = 200
    Its best case will then be worse than the tier 1, 2 and 3 boons.

Boons are an area where it would be nice know more about the design intent. A typical game design will present a player with choices like:
    *Front-loaded bonus, low average
    *Sustained bonus, medium average
    *Delayed bonus, high average
    The player can then make interesting choices based on his or her ability to use the bonuses opportunistically.

Rampaging Madness, by the tooltip, is a delayed bonus with a low average.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When I saw the tooltip I thought it was a completely useless boon and I decided to take it only after being informed the tooltip was wrong and you could gain more than 1 stack per second. I don't think it is possible to achieve 95%, but rather 60% or so with a CW or GWF.

If they change it to match the tooltip, I'd most certainly respec my characters.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I avoided it based on the tooltip, and went with Endless Consumption instead, which works well, but if Madness is WAI and the tool tip is just inaccurate, I might switch.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    very much doubt madness is WAI but it doesn't seem like prioritizing the fix is in the cards so enjoy it while you can.
  • archanarchistarchanarchist Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    True. Developers are about as loathe to share their full calculations as they are to share the ideas they're going to add before it reaches the shard. Can't find anything that factors in diminishing returns for those stats.
    hers a graph of deminishing returns its a bit hard to read but afaik acuratehttps://www.desmos.com/calculator/y4fgnssqiz also i heard madness was fixed on preveiw hence why i had a looksie at this thread
  • froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I used it before, it really do proc a lot. The last boon in Sharandar and Dread Ring is laughable, even though this one is broken. Many boons make no sense. 3% deflect severity, really? A decent boon would be between 1500 hp and 8% DS.

I've been using "chance to x3 life steal" and stamina boons and I am still untouchable in PvE dmg. x3 LS is a lot better for PvP since healing yourself for 50-100k in PvE is not really needed. ^^
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm wondering is anyone has this boon, and if it's worth it. I'd like to know how often a stack procs. Is it useful in PvP? How noticeable is the buffs after you get the 50 stack?

It's useful, and noticeable. I wasn't really paying attention to how often it proced, but it seemed to be very reasonable and would always come on when it was most useful.
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yup. Every tick of damage counts towards the stack. If I remember correctly, With a plague fire enchantment you get 4 ticks per hit... the initial damage, then the 3 ticks of fire damage. They add up quickly...
  • quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    This is pretty much exaggerated. I'd say uptime is around 45-50% or so.

This is way way wayyyy off. it takes about 30 sec to charge, 30 of constant attacking no moving or juking. So that is highly unlikely. and the buff only happens for 10 sec. Each stack has a 1min cd before it disappears though so that is nice.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You are either kidding, a complete incompetent, or simply lying in the forums so that the devs do not know what is going on. The charge time is, anytime you have 3 or so mobs on you, is around 10 seconds if that. In PK you can charge it every 3 seconds.
  • quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    You are either kidding, a complete incompetent, or simply lying in the forums so that the devs do not know what is going on. The charge time is, anytime you have 3 or so mobs on you, is around 10 seconds if that. In PK you can charge it every 3 seconds.

Kidding, no, I am not.

Incompetent, wow, you got personal really quick. Let's keep this informative and adult shall we?

Lying, nope. I think you might have misunderstood me. I tested in a single target not an aoe cluster, as I am more of a pvper so this is a bit more realistic for me.

Maybe you shouldn't immediately stoop to insults. I'd be more likely to hear out your opinion then. I hope you have a good day.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OK, if you are thinking a 1 vs 1 pvp, sure. But that is a very special situation, most of the time, even in PvP, you will find yourself with more than 1 enemy around.