test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Second Opinion... please.

guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Hey Gang...

I have just published the second chapter in my 'Adventures in Zephyr Ridge' campaign. I would appreciate someone to run through this one and give me their opinion. I would prefer them NOT to officially review their experience. I would ask instead, that they post their critique here in the forum. I would like the opportunity to correct any errors I may have missed before officially releasing the final version.

'The Tower of Madness'; quick code: NW-DLPJKB3L3

In my initial play-testing the combat seems a tad bit weak... but I'm somewhat thoutful about making it harder.... I'm undecided. Could I get another opinion please?

Thanks
Post edited by guitarzan698 on

Comments

• melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can add this to my list. Also, if you want people to be able to play but not review then you can wall off the final chest with an invisible wall. I do this to test on live server.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • ladykathleen55ladykathleen55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited January 2014
    melinden wrote: »
    I can add this to my list. Also, if you want people to be able to play but not review then you can wall off the final chest with an invisible wall. I do this to test on live server.

This is a great idea. I will have to try that next time I want to test one.

guitarzan698 I will try your quest out. And give you the (not so strong fights view) ROFL..

Would love a review on my new Act 3 if you have the time! (info in the sig!)
    Lady Kathleen
    Newest Campaign: Enchanted Village NWS-DHNQ9PS99
    Act I Find Lady Kathleen NW-DKZBMOPOY

Old Champaign: Enchanted Castle: NWS-DCPHMJS4W.
    Act I Enchanted Castle NW-DU7IXVVDR
    Act II Home invasion NW-DJTJO4I5P

Author @ladykathleen55
    Reviews and Comments always welcome!
  • ladykathleen55ladykathleen55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited January 2014
    I did a run on your quest. I thought the the effect from bedroom to tower was awesome.

The pink mist was pretty neat at first, but later it got annoying. Or maybe it was the madness setting in. ROFL.

Ok about the battles. First I used my 60 Wizard and The fire guy I ran into (sorry I could not read it's name due to the mist.) Well let say he hurt! I would not advise adding any other around him, as he is hard for some like me that have to try and kite him.

Other sections seemed to be pretty empty where you could add some (trash mods)easy just to keep it interesting.

The other place I had trouble was at the end where the door is. As I could not see the mod names in the mist so I just hit one. They all came out at once and beat me to a pulp. (actually they did that a couple times.) A difficulty slider would be nice there.
    Lady Kathleen
    Newest Campaign: Enchanted Village NWS-DHNQ9PS99
    Act I Find Lady Kathleen NW-DKZBMOPOY

Old Champaign: Enchanted Castle: NWS-DCPHMJS4W.
    Act I Enchanted Castle NW-DU7IXVVDR
    Act II Home invasion NW-DJTJO4I5P

Author @ladykathleen55
    Reviews and Comments always welcome!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Important note about test-quests: be sure to put the very first objective (something interactive) that tells players it's just a test phase and cannot be completed. That way they can abort without wasting time, else they will think you are worse than amateur Foundry Author. :)

@OP - I'll give is a go if I get the opportunity.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can see how all the Necrotic Smoke effects might cause a lot of problems with someone who has the effects details turned down. Something I've seen once before is, in addition to a difficulty slider, an 'effect slider'. So you could add an option to have fewer or different effects that people can select based on their settings.

I can see how that that last fight sort of comes out of the blue. Mostly in relation to the earlier fights which are pretty spaced out.

I think this quest might be a really nice place for a puzzle. Wizards strike me as people who make weird puzzles, I guess.

You did get a review and tip from me because I was one "Give Max Tip" from getting Foundry Artifex, so happy birthday early (or late)!

-in the Crystal ball: "parapit" is correctly spelled "parapet". +10 for correct use of the word, however!
    -in Beeba's dialogue at the end her first use of "fellas" has a spare apostrophe that shouldn't be there
    -in her second line "truely" should be "truly"

If you have the hour to spare and like exploring quests I'd love it if you could take a look at Hunger in Icewind Dale. If not, never fear, I am working on a goofy little dungeon crawl as a counterpoint to that monster.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for the trial runs... I appreciate your opinions. I have corrected the spelling errors. I have added a method for dealing with the necrotic smoke effect. I've spread out the mob in the boss fight (and added some dramatic music) .. added a few more mobs in the empty spaces. It's coming along nicely. I will be adding various objects and stuff to interact with. I am also considering adding a puzzle.

Thanks
  • rigelliarigellia Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Hi guitarzan698!

I've been enjoying your campaign so far! Just some bugs and things you should probably fix:

- The ghosts in the tower have a spelling typo as they keep saying "wnn't" instead of "won't"

- In the storytellers dialogue after the dream, "fued" should be spelled "feud"

- You need to fix this:

KOHtsqy.png

I fell off the level when I actually opened the door instead of using the clicky teleport.

- I couldn't find the location for the side quest. Have you completed that area and put it on the map? Maybe I just needed to look harder for it or you could help the player out a little by giving some hints as to where to go from the village (maybe something more helpful than 'village on the other side of the vale')
    - Not sure how you can fix this due to tricky teleports, but you can see some behind-the-scenes scaffolding of the map when you look outside, like this:

zxqXQVt.png

Anyway, it was good overall! I think this is shaping up to be an interesting campaign/setting.
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for the reviews... other than the technical issues, like getting the teleporters to work correctly, I think I've fixed most of the problems.. still got a way to go. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks