test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3.5K Zen HR package worth its price?

al3xmerceral3xmercer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I want to create a new Hunter Ranger and i was wondering if that hunter package worth its price to buy ?
Your Touch MY BLISS!
Post edited by al3xmercer on

Comments

• chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The pack has a companion that is account-wide, but only useful for ranged HR that fight from a distance. The cloak and hood of the wild are account-wide and can be claimed as many times as you want, so it is a transmute item for your account characters. It also comes with a greater bag of holding (maybe 300k value), 5 mass scrolls of life (most people would never actually use one, probably around 12k each in AH), a tiny bit of exp boost, and an account-wide "Master of the Savage Wild" title. These things can be claimed on your characters at the reclaim guy on the opposite side of the same level that sergeant knox is at.

Personally, I would only get it if you really want the pet, title, or hood/cloak transmutes, and consider those things worth ~950k AD altogether (greater bag of holding value deducted from 1200k). It was sort of worth it to me because I named my HR "crazy" and I needed the crazy title for him and my "pig god" cw. But as for whether it is worth it for practical purposes, I would have to say no, primarily because hunter ranger isn't viable for castle never, and suboptimal for most t2+ dungeons. They may balance HR one day, but as it is, dc, gwf, cw, and possibly even tr will be considered preferable to HR.

And there'll probably be people coming in to defend HR, but all you have to do is ask zone or lfg chat how often do people want HR in CN. HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is advice from someone with 5 14-16k gs characters including a formerly near BiS HR who is now shelved.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    al3xmercer wrote: »
    I want to create a new Hunter Ranger and i was wondering if that hunter package worth its price to buy ?

I was thinking about this too, but was primarily wondering about the companion's passive bonus.

As I have both a CW and a HR is the pet passive useful for both classes?
    edited January 2014
    A CW should almost never be attacking a mob with at-wills from a distance. The active bonus applies only to at-will damage. The reason why a CW is usually casting at enemies at point-blank range is because of sudden storm and steal time, both of which require you to be within about 30 feet of an enemy. At-will damage makes up a very small percentage of a CW's total damage because almost all cw's at end game have 3k-4.5k recovery for encounter spamming, and very often won't shoot more than 5-10 magic missiles/chilling clouds per room if even that.

HR on the other hand, relies very much on split shot at-will for damage in pve. Their encounters hit like wet noodles and our highest damage potential encounter, rain of arrows, has a small aoe and can easily miss, and sometimes using encounters can result in lower dps than just spamming split shot. If you're set on playing a ranged HR, I suggest you try experience group play while being 50 feet away from the rest of the team trying to maximize ranged damage bonus, and observe the negative crowd control effects, before you plunge on the pack for the pet's active bonus. If you are fine with being high range HR, then this is a good active bonus.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the info, chocobofarmer - I haven't played Epic dungeons for a while so am a bit rusty.

Given that you think that it isn't worth it on a CW and perhaps not even on a ranged HR, I'll probably pass on the HR pack unless they ever make a 50 or 60% off deal.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have the pack, I thought it was worth price. I've since created a new GWF and I'm using the everything in the pack except the weapons - so other than those, it's a fair value in my mind. There have been other threads on this subject where I've gone into detail about the contents of the package.

Obviously the account-wide Companion is the big draw, to me the title and such is useless. But I think people are over-down-playing the value of the other items, such as the hood and cloak. You also should get an Adventurers' Helper Pack with it, which includes the usually freebie stuff you can get in-game, but also include an XP Booster to help you get to level 15-20 quickly, which if this is an alt greatly helps with that mundane grind.

In the end, only you (OP) can decide whether to buy it or not.

But do keep this one thing in-mind:

Everyone who poo-poo's the pack (proclaiming it's not worth it) hasn't purchased it, so they're just guessing. Everyone who has purchased it that I've seen feel it's a great value.
    edited January 2014

In the end, only you (OP) can decide whether to buy it or not.

But do keep this one thing in-mind:

Everyone who poo-poo's the pack (proclaiming it's not worth it) hasn't purchased it, so they're just guessing. Everyone who has purchased it that I've seen feel it's a great value.

angrysprite, I am someone who got the pack and poo poos it.
    edited January 2014
    angrysprite, I am someone who got the pack and poo poos it.

Fair enough, you're the first *I've seen*.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    is it worth the value you get from having an account-wide companion that adds to at-will damage of ranged characters, a greater bag of holding and some starter items? only you can decide. people's opinions on zen store prices are mixed. this is a hunter ranger booster pack which means that it's going to benefit a starting HR the most. if you're not starting a new HR or don't plan on starting one in the near future, the value diminishes a bit.

compared to the feywild starter pack at $20, this comes with a single portal hound companion. it is a green companion and you can only use it on one character. it also comes with a ring, claimable by one character and a 12 slot bag, also claimable on one character. and the adventurer's pack, of course. this item is only purchasable via the website.

the HR booster pack, for $15 more has a blue companion claimable on all characters in your account, a hood & cloak usable and claimable on all characters (starter items), has a greater bag of holding claimable on one character (24 item slots)... not to mention that if you are already making AD in-game, you can subsidize the cost of this item due to the fact that it currently can only be purchased in the zen store. exchange in-game acquired AD for zen and automatically lower your cost of the item.

but ultimately, what is and isn't of value is a personal choice.
  • vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How do I claim my pack on a different character then? I got the hunter ranger pack and am new to the game. How can I access my stuff on a different character?
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Go to the rewards agent (claims agent) across from SGT KNOX at the top of PE to get your stuff.

And I think it was worth the price but I'd rather have had another $60 pack personally with the new mount / pet etc...

Cheers
    Calvin
    edited January 2014
    calvin1tag wrote: »
    Go to the rewards agent (claims agent) across from SGT KNOX at the top of PE to get your stuff.
    -snip-
    Cheers
    Calvin

^This. I'd also add this: when speaking with the Rewards Agent, be sure to check ALL TABS. The first tab are boxes - you get a single box in inventory, opening it dumps (almost) everything in inventory. Check the PROMOS tab for the single character stuff (it will state "One Only" - meaning it can be claimed only once and whichever character claims it keeps it, and it cannot be claimed again).

The last tab ("Reclaim") allows you to claim items individually. But the box version is easier, I think.

Also note that the bag of holding (when it is empty) is not bound and can be later transferred to another character or even sold at the Auction House (not that you'd want to, but just saying).
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I personally say no. It's quite a hefty fee for some transmute gear you'll likely replace with better stuff the next time we have an event with that on the rewards list. It's probably only worth it if you desperately want that Hawk. Otherwise you could buy several completed games with that money.
    edited January 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    I personally say no. It's quite a hefty fee for some transmute gear you'll likely replace with better stuff the next time we have an event with that on the rewards list. It's probably only worth it if you desperately want that Hawk. Otherwise you could buy several completed games with that money.

Another misinformed opinion.

Though the gear (like most in game) can be transmuted, it is real gear, account-wide; blue level stuff and useful for starters. The companion is blue level, account-wide. The adventurer's starter pack contains some nice starter kits and XP booster, etc. There's more, but all this has been rehashed already.

Pro Tip: Ignore comments like then one I quote above unless they actually provide usefulness in their comment (on the basis of "I purchased it, don't like it because..." and actually explain WHY they don't like it.) Comments like the one above are made by people based on opinion because they believe their opinion (rather than actual useful feedback) are important to others. Srsly.

As for the above commenter: what they say is fair enough. How useful what they say is subjective, I suppose.

I purchased it. I thought it was fair value and I'm happy with it. Even using all the account-wide items on a new character I've created (and it's awesome having a hood and cloak on a low-level GWF - people asking me "how?"). LOL

-shrug-
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another misinformed opinion.

Though the gear (like most in game) can be transmuted, it is real gear, account-wide; blue level stuff and useful for starters. The companion is blue level, account-wide. The adventurer's starter pack contains some nice starter kits and XP booster, etc. There's more, but all this has been rehashed already.

Pro Tip: Ignore comments like then one I quote above unless they actually provide usefulness in their comment (on the basis of "I purchased it, don't like it because..." and actually explain WHY they don't like it.) Comments like the one above are made by people based on opinion because they believe their opinion (rather than actual useful feedback) are important to others. Srsly.

As for the above commenter: what they say is fair enough. How useful what they say is subjective, I suppose.

I purchased it. I thought it was fair value and I'm happy with it. Even using all the account-wide items on a new character I've created (and it's awesome having a hood and cloak on a low-level GWF - people asking me "how?"). LOL

-shrug-

Now please prove that your own comments are not a form of purchase justification. Your "don't listen to them or anyone like them because their opinions are wrong since they don't agree with me and they didn't buy the pack" concept rings hollow seeing as you didn't argue with the other posters who made a positive comment but didn't specifically say that they purchased the pack.

Now then for $35 you can get an account-wide hawk that is fairly decent. You can get some starter gear that will be replaced within the 2 weeks it takes you to get to level 60. You get an XP booster which is a little unnecessary seeing as the game practically throws XP at you. And most of the items in the starter pack are easily replaced by in-game items the game chucks at you face-first for free (such as the stone of health, only useful at high levels so it basically takes up an inventory space until level 60).

In other words $35 will provide one hawk that's fairly useful (which is what I said earlier) and items that are either useless when you touch level 60 or only useful when you reach level 60 (about 2 weeks if you play the game a lot). The transmutation gear looks interesting but you'll probably ditch it for other stuff later on. Furthermore since you can retransmute to this but may not be able to do so with transmutation items from holiday events those will hold more weight, meaning the second you get your hands on them the pack transmutation items will be nothing. Human nature dictates that irreplaceable items be more highly valued and so you'll value your holiday versions over your ranger pack versions.

So no, my opinion was not misinformed. I considered buying the ranger pack as well but comparing the price to purchase it, the time it would benefit me, and the other things I could use the money on and the duration they would benefit me, the mathematics pushed the favor of me not purchasing it. This gave me $35 to spend on Steam Sales which I put to good use buying Just Cause 2 and the amount of fun I had with it backs up my calculations regarding the ranger pack.
  • elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I personally don’t think the starter pack is worth it, and that is mainly because of its price. Id argue good inventory management makes extra bags borderline useless, in fact I ended up selling the bag in order to afford transmuting the blue gear from the pack. The starter armor/weapons in the pack are indeed starter items. They don’t scale with your level, they become obsolete after level 20, and worse yet, they are not free to transmute. The upside of the armor is that the hood can be worn by any class, and everyone likes cool looking hoods right?

The pet in my opinion is the worst part of the package. It’s a striker, which means it’s useful during low levels and completely worthless at 60. The ranged damage bonus it gives would only benefit a Hunter Ranger, so the fact that any character on your account can use it is a moot point. Hell, I’d even argue if the ranged damage bonus is even helpful to a ranger as it’s impossible to hit a target/enemy from 100 meters away. So maybe at level 60 you decide to use the pet during dungeons because you are mildly role-playing. Well, since the hawk is not an augment pet, it will be dead when you need it alive the most, which is during boss fights. Hunters do not need extra damage from their pets, they need a tank during leveling or heals while soloing at 60.

If you were to ask me which part of the pack is truly useful it would be the health stone that comes with it and has 200 charges. Ranged hunters are fairly squishy late game, and having a potion that heals for 100% of your health is amazing.

I can’t speak on if you should get it or not. It was mostly a waste of money to me, but maybe you will feel differently.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's another data point. Just be aware that it comes down to your preferences and how you play the game.

I bought the pack, and have leveled a HR, still have a slot open for another character down the line. I already have 5 60s.

-The cloak and hood were very nice to late teens/early twenties. The hood is attractive enough that I may use it for transmute.
    -The Bag of Holding is worth 1000 Zen on its own.
    -The slotted weapons were decent. I threw Rank 4 Radiants in each, and was a mini-god for the first dozen or so levels. Of course, you can buy the epic scaling weapons from the Rusted Iron lockbox from the AH, so...
    -The hunting hawk is my favorite dps companion, and I use it on my HR and my lvl 60 GF when she's running dailies. Also, if you play Sword Coast Adventures, each hero having a level 25 companion with thief skills on all dice is quite helpful. I find the Active Companion bonus useful on my HR, CW (when she bowls things over with Shard and finishes them off with at-wills), and DC.
    -The miscellaneous pack of xp boosters, etc. is not that exciting - but I sold the Stone of Health for ~100k AD.

Again, think about your situation, and if you have/will have multiple characters.