test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unscheduled Maintenance 1-24-14, 9:30PM PST

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey all!

We'll be performing a maintenance this evening at 9:30PM PST (when is that in your time zone?) to correct an issue that's popped up with the Call to Arms: Storming the Keep event.

Estimated downtime is 90 minutes, and patch notes are available here.

Thank you! :)

Update 1 (9:30PM PST): We'll be delaying maintenance for a short while. New ETA for maintenance starting is 11:15PM PST. Thank you!
Update 2 (11:15PM PST): We've brought the shards down for maintenance, and will update you on our progress!
Update 3 (12:00AM PST): Maintenance is ongoing. Thanks for your patience!
Update 4 (12:15AM PST): Maintenance is complete, ahead of schedule! Welcome back to Neverwinter!
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hey just wanted to ask is this the issue with the refiner's cache that doesn't give the enchantments? or if not what else? Thanks, Chan
  • galaalungalaalun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes, they are fixing one item. And it is going to take 1 1/2 hours to fix 1 box......... I don't even know what to say to that
  • khazimirkhazimir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    galaalun wrote: »
    Yes, they are fixing one item. And it is going to take 1 1/2 hours to fix 1 box......... I don't even know what to say to that

At least they're fixing it. There are some games that just tell you to "deal with it".
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Hey sometimes it takes cryptic months to fix 1 problem. Sometimes they never fix them. :P
  • willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited January 2014
    Wow, cut right into GG, DD if you're still doing it on a Friday night. All for a skirmish event..... Planning fail.
  • zdaddyozdaddyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited January 2014

Usually when you are giving a downtime, you give a maximum timeframe so no one will be surprised. Considering we don't know what it entails to bring the system down and then bring it back up again at a minimum, then why would it seem surprising? There are probably multiple servers involved and some sort of tests run to make sure everything is talking properly after they come up. While computers are fast, it doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other processes that need to be addressed as well.
  • groarkgroark Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    khazimir wrote: »
    At least they're fixing it. There are some games that just tell you to "deal with it".

I agree. This game is customer friendly :). That I can't say of other games. My compliments to the ppl behind Neverwinter. Thumb up.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zdaddyo wrote: »
    Usually when you are giving a downtime, you give a maximum timeframe so no one will be surprised. Considering we don't know what it entails to bring the system down and then bring it back up again at a minimum, then why would it seem surprising? There are probably multiple servers involved and some sort of tests run to make sure everything is talking properly after they come up. While computers are fast, it doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other processes that need to be addressed as well.

Yeah, the length of a downtime has never been determined by how stuff is getting fixed in a particular patch, but all the stuff that goes on that we can't see while they work on bringing the servers back up and making sure nothing goes wrong in the process.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the 90 minutes is a time ESTIMATE they might be done in 15 min it might take 4 hours. Most unscheduled maintenances seem to have a 90 min or more window.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zdaddyo wrote: »

Indeed. There is a lot involved in a game, especially an MMO such as this. Multiple servers, test runs, ect. Be patient and it shall be rewarded... besides, this is a free game :)
  • ofkathriaofkathria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Besides, if it takes an hour and a half to fix something, that's how long it takes. Unless one is intimately familiar with the server structure, the exact cause and nature of the problem, and the coding behind it all, I don't see much reason to gripe about how long it "should" take. They want the problem fixed just as much as we do.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    Hey sometimes it takes cryptic months to fix 1 problem. Sometimes they never fix them. :P

Yeah, there's still that hole in the floor at the Karru first boss(from beta). Also the issue with VT is you die after the first boss but before the campfire and the invisible wall have not despawned...sigh. At least they're trying I suppose.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sominator wrote: »
    and patch notes will be available here.

Not yet sure what you are patching? Or do I just not find my way to the patch notes?
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • menvadfanvilldumenvadfanvilldu Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    khazimir wrote: »

There's tons of bugs that are still around since the beta days that they refuse to fix, so I'd say they're just like everyone else.

PS. What's up with changing the time for the maintenance? You're ****in' with me now Cryptic..
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Not yet sure what you are patching? Or do I just not find my way to the patch notes?

The patch notes are linked from the original post (and the link is working).
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • dirtypantiesdirtypanties Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Do you think that all their work is reflected live on the spot when they edit the code and hit ctrl+s ? Just to let you know, you might be right and they probably can fix the bug in 15 minutes, but then they have to test it, rebuild the application and finally deploy the update. All of this can take some time.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    Also the issue with VT is you die after the first boss but before the campfire and the invisible wall have not despawned...sigh.

With that bug, you can actually get past the invisible wall if you jump at the left edge of the wall at an angle. Takes a while. Easier with Shift-Move (e.g. CW or TR) but I managed with my GF.

I'm a legit-only player and don't consider the above to be an exploit, but rather a way to work around what must be a bug.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With that bug, you can actually get past the invisible wall if you jump at the left edge of the wall at an angle. Takes a while. Easier with Shift-Move (e.g. CW or TR) but I managed with my GF.

I'm a legit-only player and don't consider the above to be an exploit, but rather a way to work around what must be a bug.

Took me 5 dang mins to do that. All because a team member pulled the mobs before I'd charged my daily.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
This discussion has been closed.