test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New foundry "The Lion's Den", need reviews

ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Hello, I've been working on this foundry for a very long time, I've stopped many times too but finally it's "over" or at least in a complete playable state. Now I need your opinion, after spending all this time on it I'm not feeling so satisfied but I really want to see what you people think so I can do better. I've put a lot of effort on visuals while quest line is pretty straightforward. Here we go then, foundry name is "The Lion's Den" ( NW-DC6TKG8YT), have fun and don't be too harsh on critics, I'm still a first timer :D
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by ratjam on

Comments

• Options
    tiborrustiborrus Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi!
    I just played your quest, but I need abandon...:(
    Very-very nice enviroment, good tasks, not complicated dialogs, but too hard for solo players! This is group quest? First encounter is two Bone golems plus minions...And objective at the Castle: "Defeat enemies 0/5" - 5 Standard (or hard?) foe, too much I think. I'm very sorry, because the story was interesting, the details professional.
    Execuse me, but therefore, I can't write review...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    tiborrus wrote: »
    Hi!
    I just played your quest, but I need abandon...:(
    Very-very nice enviroment, good tasks, not complicated dialogs, but too hard for solo players! This is group quest? First encounter is two Bone golems plus minions...And objective at the Castle: "Defeat enemies 0/5" - 5 Standard (or hard?) foe, too much I think. I'm very sorry, because the story was interesting, the details professional.
    Execuse me, but therefore, I can't write review...

Thanks mate for playing it and sorry but I should have mentioned before that this is meant to be hard for low geared / low level characters unless they are good at controlling mobs. In fact there are very few mobs that are immune to crowd control and that's the key for an easy run. So if you are not a cw it's better to bring one with you. I forgot to put this in the description, my bad. That's probably why I have so few reviews :D
    Thanks again for pointing this out, I'm gonna fix the description once I have more feedback.
  • Options
    lsoulsaberlsoulsaber Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok I will exchange a review. Send me an in game post to remind me. My quest is , "To Lasso A Dragon."
  • Options
    tiborrustiborrus Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ratjam wrote: »
    Thanks mate for playing it and sorry but I should have mentioned before that this is meant to be hard for low geared / low level characters unless they are good at controlling mobs. In fact there are very few mobs that are immune to crowd control and that's the key for an easy run. So if you are not a cw it's better to bring one with you. I forgot to put this in the description, my bad. That's probably why I have so few reviews :D
    Thanks again for pointing this out, I'm gonna fix the description once I have more feedback.

I played your quest with my Lev.60. GWF. I think, your quest is recommended for min. 2 players(including CW). I played already many other Foundry quest, but all was balanced and challenging at the same time. I'm really sorry I didn't know the end of the story...:( And once more: your map design is professional!:)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I should try it with my gwf too, with my cw i had no problems at all but as I said cc is the key to success here. Bring a friend with u mate or catch me up in game I'll be glad to help you, final battle is pretty cool ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    so i had just a couple of reviews from friends, what should i do to get more? Trade reviews?
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Trade, trade , trade. Join a guild and ask guild mates to review it. The more star reviews you get, the more visibility it will get to the masses in game.

I haven't looked too hard yet, but I haven't seen anywhere else but here to advertise.

There is a thread here stating an outside database to advertise your quests. Might be only 1-2 pages back.
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I did try a run at this as well. Usually when reviewing you are alone. I couldn't finish.

The map was well done. Good details where they needed to be. I can tell you paid attention to the details, I couldn't find anything out of place. Battles were tough, but some great places to fight. At the gravedigger was fun. Died, but was fun playing king of the hill.

I found a few mentionables.

-- In the main map there is home off to the left with no door. Do they enter through a window? Fix Cryptic's lack of a door.?
    - Quest sent me searching to an area. Man says this gate is closed. But there is no gate? I wonder down and there is a gate, and it's closed! Why didn't he tell me? Maybe the gate ahead is closed? (not the real reason I mention it)
    --I never found survivors. Then I was to search the place of execution? Why who said so? I was searching for survivors? I already killed the undead there. When I ran up to the gate. So, I reach it, plot tracker says move on. As I leave another wave of mobs pop behind me. I didn't bother.
    Now I am searching actual monuments? I was searching for survivors of an attack and maybe a way into a castle I thought?
    The plot tracker was more confusing than the order of direction you were leading us. By the time I got to the another guard I thought maybe I was searching for useful supplies to strap myself up with and wait for a medic. This needs streamlining. Maybe a couple return trips to the quest giver for new instructions with the overall one still hanging on, locate a secret passage.

-Gate guard who told me the missing gate was closed that I missed... The quest sent me to him. Now he tells me something useful when he could of told me that on my first wandering visit. Just a though.
    -- Same gate guard; dialog and quest says to follow him down the path but he just stands there with a new conversation.
    -- Gravedigger sends me to fetch an item. Once I have the item he wont talk to me about anything, quest tracker says go search.
    --Guard up on the hill. Didn't understand this part. I killed them and then he couldn't even say thanks? I wasn't sure how I knew to go look up there anyways. After the fight it said they had nothing useful? This is where I thought maybe I was looking for supplies now or a pocket portal.

At the castle the encounter spawned behind me, I was looking around and waited. Then I found something waiting for me. Maybe give them a patrol to surprise people like me. They were too patient. But then they proceeded to serve me my *** and I had to retreat with some dignity left.

Dialog:
    You don't seem to have found the way to Loop back conversations. There is a + at the bottom of the conversation, below a response from the player. If you click and hold on the arrow below the + it becomes attached to your curser. Then you drag it to the block you want it to jump to. This way we don't have to exit the conversation and greet the NPC again just to ask the second and third questions.

-- OC Arroway "...disposal.You..." Need a space between period and You which is in yellow text. (The grave digger has this too where yellow and white text change, need spaces.
    -- Gravedigger asks if any monster followed me? Monsters plural. I respond with No monster was out there. Monsters were out there. Which is a lie because you just had me fight some down the path at the ruins. I didn't mind, he was comforted.
    --Gravedigger says: Show respect these people." Should be: Show some respect for these people. And then Who did he smell from up there? Maybe say, "I could smell your stench from up here. or such.

This could be a good fun quest for a pair. But you would need to make a cleaner order in the exploration so we don't forget what our purpose was. This was the main thing that was bugging me.
    Needs a better order. Search close, report back. Search right, to the gate house. The gate guard sends you to the other guard, the gravedigger could be a side mission/experience not on the quest tracker. Then report back to Arroway, then head out to the castle...etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey mate thanks for giving it a try. The quest is pretty linear if you just do what it said, I just put some fillers here and there couse the map is very big, but I wanted it this way so one can basically do all the stuff while exploring almost the entire map without having to turn back until all it's done. Thanks for your time, many things you said are true, and as I said before, most of my effort was put into visuals and I love the fact that most people noticed this.
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Completed it with my lvl 60 gwf, facetanking all the fights without ever using a potion. Either the author made the fights easier after the first reviews, or all the boosts by Cryptic (boons, artifacts...) have considerably empowered the chars.

The map is wonderful, the outdoors part as well as the dungeon part. The ambiance sounds are very nice too.

But it's very empty. Patrols, or even static groups of foes here or there would be welcome. The fights in this foundry are only after the char does some action related with the quest. It's all calm in the forest, but you talk to NPC and suddenly a horde of wolves appears from nowhere and attacks you.

It's very linear and directive. Exploring the dungeon, I randomly entered the torture chamber and the Villain was here, but nothing happened, no attack, not even a dialog or a description. Came back 5 minutes later after taking the quest, this time the Villain attacked me. I'd suggest to add a closed door to this torture chamber, which would open only after taking the quest. Or, make the fight take place and change accordingly the dialog with the quest giver. "Oh, you slained the Villain already? Good job, my hero!".

Many times you get a screen message like "part 2 completed" when you barely have started the said Part 2. Which is confusing.

Some secondary quests make you wonder why they are here, like the Dryad one. You kill the beast in the cascade pool, the dryad thanks you, and that's it? It should be related to the overall quest. For instance the gravedigger may say "Ok normally I would ask you to kill ten rats before I show you the secret passage but as you helped my friend the dryad you'll have to kill only 5 rats."

A lot of keys are requested in different part of the foundry. Unfortunately, some trash mobs in the last room drop keys too, that have nothing to do with the story and will open no door. (they are keys for one T1 dungeon)

In many dialogs with NPC the only choice is "1. Continue" and you choose "1" and the dialog actually ends.