test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to make this game go forward

brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
I've been thinking alot on the imperfections of this game and all I see is probably on PVP side and some others on PVE (but not as many).

So, here are my "ideas" to fix pvp right now:

N1 - This is a big part of why people are unhappy with pvp, Gear score. As we know, many people are smurfs that have other caracters giving them gear, but most new people are not and that means they are probably going to start with 6/8k GS when they reach lvl 60, so what you can do is add various PVP lists like you do when you are leveling up with the 10 level difference and make it like:
6k-8k
9k-11k
12k-15k
16k-20k
And if you meet the requirements for a specific gear score, it will appear available!

N2 - CLERICS, everyone knows those annoying classes saving everyone in their team right? Well, as we all know, they are VERY important in PVP and also PVE(mostly PVE) and they are game changers. MANY times I've seen 1 cleric on 1 team and no cleric on another team and this leads to a higher chance of loss by the one that does not have one. I have also seen MANY times double clerics in one team and no clerics in the other team, this is of course something that must be fixed.

HOW? Simple:
FILTERS!(everyone loves them)

Add a filter to the match making system to either have 2 clerics one in each team or have no clerics in neither teams, this will probably lead to higher volume of clerics in each game and more people will want to play pvp because you just fixed a huge part of unbalance.

N3 - Triple repeating classes, this is fixed the same way as the clerics mentioned above, I'm sure many people have seen triple HR for example lately because its a new release and everyone plays them. That is really bad and that team will probably lose because there isnt a variety of classes to do different jobs.

N4 - Someone throw a rock if you don't want this! MOAR PVP MAPS, why not? Its getting old playing with the same 2 maps every time, I would like to see new maps with new mechanics applied to pvp.

This is all by pvp side for now.

Moving on to PVE, I don't think this will ever be fixed but its worth the shot.

N1 - Different "main boss" mechanics, its been stated alot in the critics about this game and its true, its all about, go to point A and kill mob A then move to point B to gather items by killing Mob B Use B Items to get to Mob C then fight the Mob C as "main boss" having tons of health and throwing out hurting AOE powers and give some ADDS to make it be harder. Well, this is not a very good idea, look at Frozen Heart, the main boss spawns so many adds that alot of them end up being bugged "frozen" without moving until you kill some of the current ones moving. And this also leads to people having the same strategie in every dungeon, GF run arround with adds with CW and cleric helping him while TRS and GWF kill the boss.
I would like to see some change on this and see new puzzles/mechanics, you can take in consideration Foundry missions wich some of them actually have very cool ideas.

N2 - Some classes are more important than others and I think this is being a bit abused, for example, GWF are always welcome to the party because they can tank and deal alot of DPS at the same time, but this takes off some of the importance of GF, there is also the case of going with 3CW, 1 Cleric and 1 GF wich seems pretty stupid but actually works due to the insane CC they have, allows them to stun every mob, then TR and THIS is a big problem, TR's are being completely ignored, people dont even need them in the party actually, its like they are some sort of "optional" because there are many other classes that can do its job that is doing a huge ammount of DPS and right now, they are only being used for exploits, take in consideration the dungeons in Gauntlgrym, people are always spamming like crazy for a TR that knows how to "run" the dungeon. That is personally really bad and makes people want to switch their big loved characters just to be accepted into a group of dungeon makers.

That is finally what I have to say, you probably didn't even read it all, but I hope you get the idea and sorry for any english problems in the text (no, i'm not english).
Post edited by brun2000 on

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    N1 - This is a big part of why people are unhappy with pvp, Gear score. As we know, many people are smurfs that have other caracters giving them gear, but most new people are not and that means they are probably going to start with 6/8k GS when they reach lvl 60, so what you can do is add various PVP lists like you do when you are leveling up with the 10 level difference and make it like:
    6k-8k
    9k-11k
    12k-15k
    16k-20k
    And if you meet the requirements for a specific gear score, it will appear available!

Bad Idea: Here is why, GS is a horrible means of calculating "skill" is it a step in the right direction? ABSOLUTELY! But a better system is needed. IF this game wants to truly succeed in this arena a RANK system must be implemented and with that, a matchmaking system. GS can be manipulated too much, players can que for X and then swap gear, or what about players who (like I do occasionally) forget to swap BACK to pvp gear after PVEing, if you try and "lock" gear for the purpose of GS ques, that can be a rough match. Instead of dealing with ALL the issues that presents, we just need a rank system and then que based upon that. This creates not only fairness but also DRIVE to play - to be the best.

If you are DEAD set on doing a GS related Que System, only TWO Ques are needed. A 12,500+ and a 12,500- Que. Same issues as above though, GS doesnt factor enough things and can be manipulated too much (look up guardian fighters GS, its artificially high) so since they would ultimately HAVE to re-work the GS system to do this, I would rather just have a rank system for PVP.

N2 - CLERICS, everyone knows those annoying classes saving everyone in their team right? Well, as we all know, they are VERY important in PVP and also PVE(mostly PVE) and they are game changers. MANY times I've seen 1 cleric on 1 team and no cleric on another team and this leads to a higher chance of loss by the one that does not have one. I have also seen MANY times double clerics in one team and no clerics in the other team, this is of course something that must be fixed.

HOW? Simple:
    FILTERS!(everyone loves them)

Add a filter to the match making system to either have 2 clerics one in each team or have no clerics in neither teams, this will probably lead to higher volume of clerics in each game and more people will want to play pvp because you just fixed a huge part of unbalance.

I have ALWAYS thought, "Why dont they take the current PVE Que system, and add that into PVP" meaning each group TRIES to find 1 DC and 1 "Tank" for each pvp match. This avoids the bad double DC games, avoids some of the random <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.... Ideally it would match like classes on both sides if possible. I can think of a million things here that would work better than just random players.

N3 - Triple repeating classes, this is fixed the same way as the clerics mentioned above, I'm sure many people have seen triple HR for example lately because its a new release and everyone plays them. That is really bad and that team will probably lose because there isnt a variety of classes to do different jobs.

N4 - Someone throw a rock if you don't want this! MOAR PVP MAPS, why not? Its getting old playing with the same 2 maps every time, I would like to see new maps with new mechanics applied to pvp.

For PVP:
    1) Remove "Contesting" from Domination. Whoever owns the point, it ticks points. Plain and simple.
    2) Create a KOTH (kinf of the hill) Mop with ONE node, that operates JUST like it is now, with contesting and points. (MUCH less needed to win though, maybe like 200)
    3) Create an "arena" PVP map that is a slayer map, map random spawns a "potion" as it does now, and also a "damage buff" (like the potion but damage boost) lasts for 30 seconds, +15% dmg or something
    4) Create a Long narrow-ish style map for CTF. Flag carriers cannot use ANY abilities, all abilities are grey-ed out except "Tab" which is to drop the flag. This removes certain advantages. Now you can run/not fight or drop it and fight.
    5) Create a RANK system, use a matchmaking system based upon rank. Players hould be able to rank up and also de-rank to avoid "boosting"

- What all that does is NOW different builds will excel in different game types so it opens ALOT of options as to the best builds. If you make ALL of these into the SAME que, people dont know what will come up and what they will play, need to be prepared for everything. Some hardcore players will probably have multiple sets for different games, however MOST people I would imagine would just build around a good overall build that can do it all well..... This brings alot of competition to the game, but also alot more flavor and NONE of that would take much work.

A guildie of mine even said he could EASILY program a rank/que system into the game in 1 weekend it doesnt take alot... I cant imagine the other gametypes and such would take even 2 programmers more than 1-2 weeks at MOST.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ayroux wrote: »

I think you're right, the GS would probably not work, but there is another option that is people have to queue to the max GS they ever had in the game. YES, even if they change set and get a bit lower GS they would still be queued up with what they had.
  • Options
    fentfvfentfv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do agree that a GS-based PVP system would be nicer, but there's always those people that would queue up with low GS, then switch gear once inside. It's silly, but lots of children play this game.

I don't really have a problem with the random nature of the the team-builder in PVP. If you want a DC on your team, make a DC friend who likes PVP (there are many) and join up with them.

As far as a 'ranking' system, simple accumulation of points (NOT kills!) would work for me. This helps out (for example) the DC, who doesn't get a lot of kills, but gets tons of points from caps and assists.

Yes, more maps. A CTF-type map would be a lot of fun, especially with the mods mentioned (can't fight, but you should still be able to dodge, etc.).
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited January 2014
    ..So valuable idea's have been suggested by the community of this game,yet nothing comes to live...

If we all make a petition, which will prove to the Dev's how strong the community is and what kind of changes and minor improvements should be taken under focus - I would be more then happy to join/help.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ..So valuable idea's have been suggested by the community of this game,yet nothing comes to live...

If we all make a petition, which will prove to the Dev's how strong the community is and what kind of changes and minor improvements should be taken under focus - I would be more then happy to join/help.

The petition would have to be on a different site, not allowed to petition here on forums...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    The petition would have to be on a different site, not allowed to petition here on forums...

Petition is just an example ...
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A ranking system would be much better than a GS based one. Gear Score can be bought.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Not to mention that they have said they're going to be adding to PVP. They've already started with the stat addition. I'm hoping that means new gear being added in to expand what people can use with the PVP stat. I know people want to help the game, they have heard us, it just takes time to implement, internally test, etc, etc. As I've said before, I'll say again. Just be patient. Watch and see. it's coming, soon. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    Not to mention that they have said they're going to be adding to PVP. They've already started with the stat addition. I'm hoping that means new gear being added in to expand what people can use with the PVP stat. I know people want to help the game, they have heard us, it just takes time to implement, internally test, etc, etc. As I've said before, I'll say again. Just be patient. Watch and see. it's coming, soon. :)

God bless u for the optimism bro,

I had the same few months ago ...now i dont lol
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    They officially said in the feedback thread for the pvp update, they are working on matchmaking. It's not quite ready yet and is outside the scope of that feedback thread. However, they *are* doing the changes. It's 1 system at a time, rather than throwing 4 systems in at once and trying to figure out which is working, which is not. It's a very steady build up to the changes coming.

They have also stated they are releasing more gear sets, t1, t2, beyond. For PVP. So to me, that means they're expanding what PVP'rs can wear, so that we can still diversify. All in all, it looks to me like they are listening and the changes are coming. Go check out the official thread. :) Heck, the devs even said they're gonna be on the preview server to PVP today, up to 5pm pst.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    ayroux wrote: »

Bad Idea: Here is why, GS is a horrible means of calculating "skill" is it a step in the right direction? ABSOLUTELY! But a better system is needed. IF this game wants to truly succeed in this arena a RANK system must be implemented and with that, a matchmaking system. GS can be manipulated too much, players can que for X and then swap gear, or what about players who (like I do occasionally) forget to swap BACK to pvp gear after PVEing, if you try and "lock" gear for the purpose of GS ques, that can be a rough match. Instead of dealing with ALL the issues that presents, we just need a rank system and then que based upon that. This creates not only fairness but also DRIVE to play - to be the best.

If you are DEAD set on doing a GS related Que System, only TWO Ques are needed. A 12,500+ and a 12,500- Que. Same issues as above though, GS doesnt factor enough things and can be manipulated too much (look up guardian fighters GS, its artificially high) so since they would ultimately HAVE to re-work the GS system to do this, I would rather just have a rank system for PVP.

I think this is right on. Level 60 pvp is as much skill as it is gs. You don't even have to really "dominate" the fights, you just have to be able to stay on the right nodes at the right times without dying. Being able to mow down the entire other team by yourself helps, but I am seeing quite a few high gs, low skill teams of characters losing matches left and right. "Can I take that 14k gs GWF with my own little 9.5k GWF, toe to toe? No way. But I can sprint around a node and Punishing Charge through him and his team, pausing briefly to one or two shot his team mates as he chases me around pointlessly.

We need a ranking system but not based on GS, based on wins and total pvp points.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    I think this is right on. Level 60 pvp is as much skill as it is gs. You don't even have to really "dominate" the fights, you just have to be able to stay on the right nodes at the right times without dying. Being able to mow down the entire other team by yourself helps, but I am seeing quite a few high gs, low skill teams of characters losing matches left and right. "Can I take that 14k gs GWF with my own little 9.5k GWF, toe to toe? No way. But I can sprint around a node and Punishing Charge through him and his team, pausing briefly to one or two shot his team mates as he chases me around pointlessly.

We need a ranking system but not based on GS, based on wins and total pvp points.

I think what you mean is for example, you get 10 points for winning a match an lose 8 points for losing a match (can be different numbers) then, when you reach 100 points, you get to promotion matches or something like that, and if you win 2/3 or more games in those promotion matches, you pass on to wood stage IV, then III, then II, then I and on the one make 3/5 wins to pass to iron, then steel, then mithral, then Adamantium and lastly Diamond.

If so, I think it could work. Its just an idea I had right now, feel free to make ideas, maybe we can sugest this to the Devs.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any type of matchmaking, even ensuring premades only faced premades would be very helpful. Best would be this combined with an ELO / GS (perhaps even combined) ranking systems.