test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I doing something wrong?

kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
So I just came back to the game since.. 1.1, happy that GWF's finally have a place in the world but.. either i'm doing something wrong or.. I don't.

9.9k GWF -- mostly crappy stuff I bought off the AH back in the day, bladestorm, few random pieces. After reading I realize I should get my hands on AoW and enchant it up -- fine, but finding groups is.. impossible. I've tried que'ing for the dungeons that drop AoW pieces, but.. every group i've had has 2-3 rejections and we end up breaking up before finding anyone else.

Tried during DD.. but a lone ~10k GWF stands no chance against the thousands of 13-14k GWf's looking, tried forming a group.. people left when they saw my GS. finally managed to get a group of PK (.. better htan nothing), and it's a full greed run, and we barely complete it because the leader was trying to speed run without the rest of the part being geared to do so.

Spent a couple hours and found an active guild.. when questioned the best way to get gear, they pretty much went "do GG, you'll never find dungeons lol." and.. when DD rolled around again, they all just found groups on their own and once again I was left with.. nothing.

I mean, I know there is a certain level of pay-or-farm, but it's a bit rediculous for it to be "pay to get gear worth paying or farming for or else you won't be able to farm."

so, am I doing something wrong or is the only way to get gear really just to keep spaming que until you get a full group somehow.. or be a DC/CW?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ravenanravenan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    U wont get top end game gear after 1 week from geting to 60 lvl. Do GG to get pvp t2 set (easiest way) and then go to endgame dungeons.
    Main : GF - Lord Kruk
    Steel and Magic
  • wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Or try to start your own group. Also, indeed do GG, especially FC farm, getting your first t2 full set should help your GS a lot and, sadly, gs is the only thing that counts when finding a pug. Even if things like nice vorpal/stone may (and probably will) improve your performance more - it wont make it easier to find a group IF your gs is low. Also, be patient. End game content is usually not meant to be accesible for a fresh lvl 60 toons
  • bigdan2011bigdan2011 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ravenan wrote: »
    U wont get top end game gear after 1 week from geting to 60 lvl. Do GG to get pvp t2 set (easiest way) and then go to endgame dungeons.
    uh your wrong it is possible if you have a nice friendly helping guild
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately, there are only 2 ways to get gear easily:

1) Find a group of people that have the same mindset with you (so they get you regardless of class)
    2) Be a DC or CW, because they are the only ones that come up in the LFG requests.

Spending time with the queue finder is going to make your experience really bad. This game's main issue is the random queue finders not working as they should. Even GG seems to be very hard to get in if you are Delzoun, while it's really hard to win if you are Luskan.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited January 2014
    ravenan wrote: »

The thing is, I HAVE t2 gear, almost full, even. It's just... kind of meh, I don't want to start blowing huge amounts of enchants (and $$, for that matter) on gear that i'm actively trying to replace -- which is double hard when I'm 4k GS short of what people want, and when you DO get a group it's an all greed run so if the gear drops you want, it's a 1/5 chance you'll get it.
    edited January 2014
    The only way to enjoy the game is to find a guild with people ready to group with you. You can see that if you spend 2-3 days looking for groups.

a)LFG only asks for CWs or DCs, and even then...they require 12kGS EVEN for pirate King. Otherwise, they just need experienced people to run Malabog, Valindra and Castle Never (Righhhht)

b)If you join the queue, then most probably you are going to spend 30 minutes by a campfire, and then some more minutes waiting for the group to get filled. Of course, it may get such an ugly party setup, that some of the dungeons are almost unplayable.

So, back to the original suggestion...just spend some time to get a good guild. There are various out there and some are also quite helpful.
  • niteingaleniteingale Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately the lfg channel has become a bit elitist. But then again hasn't it always been so. When I was beginning my adventure as a TR I had to do things by the book. First T1, a bit of Gauntlegrym and then T2. I was ignored a lot in lfg channel (because i didn't know all the 'running', glitches and wasn't a perma-stealth) and had to be very patient to find groups that would have me. But fortunately, there are people there willing to help, explain how things work and share strategies, so don't give up. Make friends :) In the meantime do the campaigns (there are quite a few good drops there that can boost your GS - the boons do that too) and don't wait with enchanting your gear even if it's not your final setup. With the new refining system you can always unslot the enchants with a minimal gold cost and the enchants do make a huge difference. And of course, a good helpful guild is a huge boost. Not a huge fan of GG myself, so I won't get into that, but a T2 pvp set is a solid start as well. Just don't give up and you'' finally get there :)
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A guild is your best choice. Sometimes you'll find people in pugs that just want to run a dungeon for a bit of fun (this is why I occasionally pug) and don't particularly care about the GS or experience of team mates.

Lastly, run as much as you can, the AD from refining and the occasional saleable drop(be it gear, marks or shards) will eventually get you to the point where you can buy your T2 set anyway...although this can take a very long time.

My finals finish next week(on friday) so if you're still needing an extra player and I'm online just hit me up.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I farmed all my T2 from random queueing, because I was too inexperienced to join groups in /lfg. I failed many times, but also made friends and got to know people that explained to me what to do.

I didn't want to depend on a guild because I don't like to be carried and be the worst part in a group, I like pulling my weight. So no GG for me.

However... what helped me was cheap T1 gear on the AH (this was before BoP gear hit) and random queueing was almost functional back in the days.
  • kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    I farmed all my T2 from random queueing, because I was too inexperienced to join groups in /lfg. I failed many times, but also made friends and got to know people that explained to me what to do.

I didn't want to depend on a guild because I don't like to be carried and be the worst part in a group, I like pulling my weight. So no GG for me.

However... what helped me was cheap T1 gear on the AH (this was before BoP gear hit) and random queueing was almost functional back in the days.

Yea, that's my issue.. it's not now, I mean my gear isn't -bad- like I said it's almost all t2, and my build's solid enough -- I pulled about 4.5 mil in that PK run earlier, was in second place behind the uber geared CW who was trying to speed run it. So i'm not looking to becarried.. It's just.. low enough that I am a pariah to /lfg.

And queueing is like pulling teeth, literally I sat in queue for an hour earlier, got three pops, one time we had 3 members, the other two only two people (including myself) accepted, and by the time I got into the zone the other person had left.

It's a bad mix of "no one wants me" and "Queueing is impossible" :/
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyuubiil wrote: »
    Yea, that's my issue.. it's not now, I mean my gear isn't -bad- like I said it's almost all t2, and my build's solid enough -- I pulled about 4.5 mil in that PK run earlier, was in second place behind the uber geared CW who was trying to speed run it. So i'm not looking to becarried.. It's just.. low enough that I am a pariah to /lfg.

And queueing is like pulling teeth, literally I sat in queue for an hour earlier, got three pops, one time we had 3 members, the other two only two people (including myself) accepted, and by the time I got into the zone the other person had left.

It's a bad mix of "no one wants me" and "Queueing is impossible" :/

Yeah some things definitely changed from when I farmed my tier:

- gear score inflation: with artifacts&boons, now many players are 13K+. GS not a good measure of performance, but important for random queueing...
    - queues broken: many times you get to see only 1 people, 2 people in dungeons etc.
    - gear got scarcer and pricier: I could buy all T1 Archmage just with my AD savings from 1 to 60 journey the moment I hit 60.
    - certain "ways" of making dungeons easier got fixed...

I still had to wait for 30-40 mins in queus back then just like now. I think there are even old posts in my history where I complain I cannot get into dungeon during DD cause nothing pops. Still had to put up with fail teams and jerks.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyuubiil wrote: »
    The thing is, I HAVE t2 gear, almost full, even. It's just... kind of meh, I don't want to start blowing huge amounts of enchants (and $$, for that matter) on gear that i'm actively trying to replace

You're a bit out of date on this. You can now unsocket enchants for gold, fairly cheaply. So even if you are still wearing a starter set of armor its very much worth it to rank up your enchants. The cost now to transfer them over to new armor is minimal. Ranking up your enchants is a easy way to boost your gear score and it can be done reasonably cheaply (at least up to rank 7) and while solo.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    My advice would be "don't use LFG": most of the zonechat spammers in PE just moved over to LFGchat spamming in PE, it's still the same mix of 70% speed runners, 25% freshly dinged 60s and 5% actual groups you might want to join.

I've found the NW_Legit channel to be a godsend in terms of collecting people who are actually up for just...running a dungeon. Sure there are still people asking for uber-high GS folks for farming runs, but there are also people who are more than happy to just run a dungeon with whoever, even if it's a non-optimal, non-geared bunch of peeps. Sometimes (esp toward the end of a DD) the former turn into the latter, too.
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    People ask for high GS because, they assume, that a high GS player = good player. It is good and bad at the same time, since you can just stack HP and get ridiculous amount of GS..or maybe go 2 pieces of different sets to get extra 900+ GS.
    High GS doesn't necessarly mean you are good, because you could be stacking 1 stat and ignoring other stats..which makes you end up with a juicy GS but crappy performance.

I had this issue on my TR back in the days, minimum requirements back in open beta was 9k GS ( which was high considering we didn't have boons nor artifacts) and here is what i did:

- I farmed my PvP gear from PvP domination ( we didnt have GG back then lol).

- I went to dungeons that drops seals that you can trade for epic accessories ( was it unicorn i think?).

- Farmed rank 5s from the zone events ( was ending up 2nd or 1st, gave me nice amounts of rank 4s)

- Bought a blue gemmed shirt and pants ( they are fairly cheap and easy to craft even)

Eventually, i was able to sit on 9000ish GS and was accepted in dungeons.

In your case, your job is easier...here is what you should do (assuming you have a T2 set already and epic accessories from seals vendor):

1- Do your sharandar and dread ring boons, they will give a very high stat boost ( +250 crit/deflect +250 defense/power +250 armor pen +125 power + 125 movement...etc) that should make you boost your GS by atleast 1000.

2- Farm PvP domination for artifact, they will give you a nice stat boost aswell and upgrading them isn't that costy either, i was able to upgrade mine from green to blue just using the rank 4s i was collecting from doing my daily quests ( the blue marks are the problematic part, but you can buy them for 10~13k AD).

3- Slot minimum level of rank 5 enchantment, let's be real, they are easy to make so no reason to gear up yourself with lesser than a rank 5. If i could do it, you can do it aswell.

4- Make sure you do some daily quests from Rhix and lord never, to get some rough AD. Since you won't be running dungeons, rough AD would be your main income ( selling excess rank 4s you drop, that you don't need, on AH also can be profitable).

5- Check the barracks section for some GWF tips and tricks. There are plenty of good PvE guides there, that are wallet friendly, that can make you boost your performance and make people more encouraged to run with you.

After you are done, you should be sitting on 11~13k GS. Which would make people more inclined to do runs with you. Also, make sure you always make your own parties and don't join random queues. Less chances to fail that way.
  • alderonthemasteralderonthemaster Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The progression system is broken in this game and and I will explain why: the devs opted for a system of GS to determine the level of dugeons. The problem is that 90% of dugeons can not be made by players who have the required GS in dugeon finder. Ie, players who have 8.5-10k are simply rejected because although they have the minimum GS does not have the ideal GS. In my opinion the player himself must choose the difficulty of dugeon according to their GS and not something predetermined by DF (easy: 6-7k, rare and tier 1; normal: 8-9k, tier 1 and tier 2;heroic: 10-11k, tier 2, epic: 12k+, all end game sets). Only one dugeon at a time be available per hour and requirement of GS actually according to what is necessary to finish it and there would be no segregation of new players who are not part of core good in some exp guild yet.
    I'm GWF and ranger with 10.5K and GS is simply impossible to form a party in the LFG; DF stupid= PVE
    slowly dying
  • jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good guild is what you need sir. Send me a tell in game @jenisyde. Our guild will run you through some dungeons.
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    The problem is that 90% of dugeons can not be made by players who have the required GS in dugeon finder.

So far only castle never can't be done with the listed GS requirement.

I did spell plague, karru , frozen heart, pirate king, malabog castle with 9000 GS groups. please tell me where your (90% of dungeons cant be done with the listed GS ) comes from?
    edited January 2014
    esteena wrote: »
    So far only castle never can't be done with the listed GS requirement.

I did spell plague, karru , frozen heart, pirate king, malabog castle with 9000 GS groups. please tell me where your (90% of dungeons cant be done with the listed GS ) comes from?
    I wonder if it was with core guild because I referred to the DF (pub), stupid.
    edited January 2014
    I wonder if it was with core guild because I referred to the DF (pub), stupid.

I did them all with random people. I never had a guild, i only joined guilds when i was 10k+ GS already and that was to do castle never.

Yes, it sometimes took me 20 minutes to get a full party together. But i eventually did, and was constantly adding people to friend list for easier group forming in the future. Till now, i still have some people on my friend list that i used to run with 6 monthes ago.
    edited January 2014
    I did them all with random people. I never had a guild, i only joined one when i was 10k+ GS already and that was to do castle never.
    I just believe seeing an current and actual video of gameplay and without vet players with new chars.
    edited January 2014
    I think just seeing an current and actual video of gameplay and without old players with new chars.

It is even easier now than before,you can now "choose" the gear you want from DD chest when you get the chance to acquire it. Back in my days, we didn't have that so sometimes you were acquiring T2 gear that you don't want and was forced to run the dungeon again and again to get it.

Dungeons were harder to do back then as the game was still new and most of players had no clue how to kill bosses. I remember that Karrundux dragon used to have double the HP he has now. Then they made a nerf to all dragon bosses, which made killing last boss in karru fairly easier.

The OP is an old player, so i'm not sure what are you aiming at by your argument. I did gear my cleric during sharandar (module 1) expansion. And i was doing all dungeons with random queues from LFG channel.

It is possible, and always will be, just because you failed to do so doesn't necessarily mean that others would aswell. Learn the game, stop complaining and learn to adapt. This game wasn't made for lazy players who wanna sit on their bums and get everything for doing nothing.
    edited January 2014
    GS is nothing compared to skill. We were doing runs with 9k GS average as well. Even last night we almost downed VT with a group that had an average GS of 12k and no soulforges. Got her to 10%. Group composition of GF, DC, DC(DPS), CW, HR. Anything is possible if your group knows what they are doing and can coordinate :)
    Jaylo
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    edited January 2014
    Regardless of getting gear, the queue system requires a major fix, since it really reduces the fun of players that don't have all the time in the wolrd to run dungeons. The most profitable time for dungeon running is obviously DD, so if you are relying on the random queue finder, you won't be running any.

Thus, relying on the LFG, you will only find requests for CWs and DCs (randomly for GFs for frozen heart). So the only thing that you can do if you are not this class, is to start your own group.

Back in my days, we didn't have that so sometimes you were acquiring T2 gear that you don't want and was forced to run the dungeon again and again to get it.

I love posts refering to 'back in my days', and meaning 8 months ago.
    edited January 2014
    I love post refering to 'back in my days', and meaning 8 months ago.

Thanks for stating the obvious :). You are one of a kind.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Don't waste your time looking for a guild in game. Look for a guild in the guild recruitment section of the forum where you can take your time to read up on a couple, find one or two that fits your style, and are active, then talk to them in game.
    edited January 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    Don't waste your time looking for a guild in game. Look for a guild in the guild recruitment section of the forum where you can take your time to read up on a couple, find one or two that fits your style, and are active, then talk to them in game.

Exactly. I sent a PM to the OP to check our guild site just in case he sees us as a good fit ;)
    Jaylo
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My GWF is at 12.7K (+ Stone), and I'm wearing T1 gear (imposing Scrappers) with a green artifact. I am usually first or second in damage when I run dungeons. I'm gradually upgrading to T2. Only in the top 3 dungeons do people not want to group with me.