test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunter Ranger's Abilities

dongargondongargon Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
There is only two encounters and one at-will that make the ranger class feel like a ranger. The encounters are Marauder's escape and Fox shift and the at-will is Split Shot. The other hunter ranger skills look and feel like fillers in completing the class. The animations for some of the encounters are too long were suppose to be class that do hit and run tactics. Where is my bow attack encounter thats similar to fox shift in style and presentation.

The encounter binding arrow needs to be change to a range PBAOE around the enemy in delivering the strong grasping root, i don't see the difference in using this from hindering shot, remove the condition from it.

Marauder escape rank 3 needs to be able to break cc effects on the ranger, there is no other reason to rank this up past rank 2 unless you want more melee damage for Marauder rush.

Boar Hide and Oak Skin should be combined together. I prefer an arrow attack that cause knock back. Some of the Hunter rangers passive powers need rework whats the purpose of having a duality power set and having passives like aspect of the falcon, aspect of the lone wolf and blade storm.

The animation on Commanding Shot needs to be quicker or replace. The at-will rapid shot needs a combo attack to it, for eg. for every third arrow you shoot, you shoot three arrows at the same time at the target or make it like the cleric divine mode at-will ability with charges.

The daily steel cold hurricane is horrendous and doesn't fit the description in player's handbook, the daily should be change to something similar to the GWf ability come and get it with the ranger flaying at the enemies for a set duration.
Post edited by dongargon on

Comments

• Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dongargon wrote: »
    Where is my bow attack encounter thats similar to fox shift in style and presentation.

This is what stands out most to me.

I would loooooooooove! A Fox Shift type Ranged encounter, as I am full Archery.

A feat that would reduce the animation time on Aimed Shot would also be amazing.

Like instead of the craptastic "Master of Archery".

They could change it into something like "On successeful critical hit, gain 1 Mastery Buff. On 5(or 10) stacks of Mastery, reduce the animation time on Aimed shot by 1.5 seconds(50%).

Hindering Shot btw is "weak" grasping roots..... There is a definite difference between Hindering and binding arrow.

I love, love love Binding Arrow/Hindering combo....makes players almost unable to move at all...its the ultimate lock down for movement.
  • Options
    pab77pab77 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree with the limitation of skills / encounters etc. It's only class where I am at a loss every time I level up, because nothing looks appealing to put points into, unlike TR / CW, it doesn't give you a sense of progression, as in you get better skills / encounters etc.

We need 1 at-will that does comparative damage to CW Magic Missile / TR Duelists Flurry for single target. You can't realistically cast Aimed shots @Bosses when there's so many red zones on ground requiring to move non stop.

Speaking of which, what rotation do you guys use when dealing with a solo dungeon end boss? I can tell you what I use on my CW or TR, but for a HR it beats me, I can't find a good single target encounter like TR has or CW, heck even a good aoe encounter to use on single target.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Depends on the boss and character level.

But my basic array for my Archer (who lacks Lone Wolf) is,
    At-Will: Rapid/Split
    Encounters: Binding/Thorn/Fox's
    Features: Stormstep/Twin blade
    Dailies: Disruptive/Forest Ghost

When I know its a big slow boss with easily predicted attacks (Knight Commander in Dread Spire) I swap Aimed in for Rapid.
    When I expect stupid amounts of adds swarming the place (like Pirate King) I swap Binding for Split the Sky.

That pretty much covers me for all situations for solo play.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    dongargon wrote: »
    The encounter binding arrow needs to be change to a range PBAOE around the enemy in delivering the strong grasping root, i don't see the difference in using this from hindering shot, remove the condition from it.

Marauder escape rank 3 needs to be able to break cc effects on the ranger, there is no other reason to rank this up past rank 2 unless you want more melee damage for Marauder rush.

Boar Hide and Oak Skin should be combined together. I prefer an arrow attack that cause knock back. Some of the Hunter rangers passive powers need rework whats the purpose of having a duality power set and having passives like aspect of the falcon, aspect of the lone wolf and blade storm.

The animation on Commanding Shot needs to be quicker or replace.The at-will rapid shot needs a combo attack to it, for eg. for every third arrow you shoot, you shoot three arrows at the same time at the target or make it like the cleric divine mode at-will ability with charges.

This I agree with only because its so unwieldly.

I don't use aspect of the falcon because once an enemy reaches 9 feet from max range it does nothing so this I agree with. Aspect of the lone wolf is awesome nothing like having damage mitigation just for slotting it; and blade storm is for melee obviously. Twin blade storm is way better imo because it works for both melee and range.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this because it would wind up making it so two encounters in one slot are only buffs leading to only having four attacks and losing boars rush which is a prone. This would severely cripple the usage of nature tree which is actually pretty good despite what people say. It would make it more useless comparable to how some people feel about the MOA feat.

The animation on Commanding Shot needs to be quicker or replace.

I kind of agree it needs to be quicker; but it is a nice ability and it fits in with a buff/debuff standpoint its also pretty good to use on bosses and elites.

The at-will rapid shot needs a combo attack to it, for eg. for every third arrow you shoot, you shoot three arrows at the same time at the target or make it like the cleric divine mode at-will ability with charges.

I don't remember any class having charges on any at will; and doing this would make it no different from magic missile.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pab77 wrote: »
    I agree with the limitation of skills / encounters etc. It's only class where I am at a loss every time I level up, because nothing looks appealing to put points into, unlike TR / CW, it doesn't give you a sense of progression, as in you get better skills / encounters etc.

We need 1 at-will that does comparative damage to CW Magic Missile / TR Duelists Flurry for single target. You can't realistically cast Aimed shots @Bosses when there's so many red zones on ground requiring to move non stop.

Speaking of which, what rotation do you guys use when dealing with a solo dungeon end boss? I can tell you what I use on my CW or TR, but for a HR it beats me, I can't find a good single target encounter like TR has or CW, heck even a good aoe encounter to use on single target.

I'm full archer, and I use Disruptive Shot>Binding Arrow>Constricting Arrow>Hindering Shot>(melee)Aimed Strike>Hindering Strike>Steel Breeze(Oak Skin). Rinse and Repeat. I'll weave Split Shots in there as my main at-will, and Aimed Shots when the situation allows for it.

That particular rotation is the fastest burst dmg I have been able to do on my Archer.

Granted my HR is geared pretty well, but solo dungeon boss's die in a matter of seconds when I use that combo.
  • Options
    jarebla1051jarebla1051 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited January 2014
    Yeah Pab, I know what you mean I skipped an entire skills/encounter levels while leveling thinking, "I'd never use those".

Many times I've gone back and thought about the article posted introducing the HR, a character designed not for one or the other but a combination of the two, a different play style. Though built as first an Archer, I made sure I had enough Melee to put the hurt on.

Split Shot, Hindering Shot, Marauder's Run(ranged) Split Shot, <melee>Marauder's Run w/Oak Skin, <ranged>Marauder's Run, Disruptive Shot. I'll change it up here and there, mostly some animations look too cool.
    "One Riot, One Ranger" **

Deuce HR L 60 Archer Build+Melee
    Bow Expert
    Blade Proficient

(**Motto of the Texas Rangers, 1823-Present. Dept. of Public Services, State of Texas)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I don't remember any class having charges on any at will; and doing this would make it no different from magic missile.

TR - Cloud of Steel. They started with 12 charges, went to 8. :)
  • Options
    howitzer001howitzer001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I'm full archer, and I use Disruptive Shot>Binding Arrow>Constricting Arrow>Hindering Shot>(melee)Aimed Strike>Hindering Strike>Steel Breeze(Oak Skin). Rinse and Repeat. I'll weave Split Shots in there as my main at-will, and Aimed Shots when the situation allows for it.

That particular rotation is the fastest burst dmg I have been able to do on my Archer.

Granted my HR is geared pretty well, but solo dungeon boss's die in a matter of seconds when I use that combo.

Good stuff. I'm with you on that combo as well. However, I really wish there was a way I could fit Marauder's in there. I just love that defensive ability and the melee rush.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.fusion-guild.org
    Sir Howitzer - GF | Howitzer - HR
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I like the following rotation on my hybrid for solo tougher elites or bosses.

split shot or 2 to clear trash and get the agro + hindering (rnged) if i only had to split shot once -> rain of arrows at my feet -> hindering (melee) to root them over the rain -> fox cunning (to proc blood thirsty again) -> fox shift -> hindering (ranged) if they are not dead yet.
  • Options
    pab77pab77 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Could you please give a link to your build? Interested in powers / feats choices and ranks, thank you!

@Everyone: thank you for replies, this gave me a good amount of insight of what to expect and how I should think of my ranger for soloing, appreciated!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pab77 wrote: »
    Could you please give a link to your build? Interested in powers / feats choices and ranks, thank you!

@Everyone: thank you for replies, this gave me a good amount of insight of what to expect and how I should think of my ranger for soloing, appreciated!

This is my current build. I doubt very much I'll ever switch to anything else...

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p6n:4odtg:a48j,13j3cki:6z551:60000:bu000&h=0&p=swd

This is a lengthy video of the build in many pvp matches.

The sound is awful I apologize for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zbKk8ja5arI
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    TR - Cloud of Steel. They started with 12 charges, went to 8. :)

Oh yeah, forgot about that one thanks for that. But I still disagree because rapid shot only having charges is a bad idea.

My archer also uses that string of attacks but with boar hide and rush instead of oakskin binding arrow but both are as valid as the other.