test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF DPS/Tank Hybrid build?

asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Militia Barracks
I'm trying to nail down a DPS/Tank hybrid build to use for Dungeoning, would like to get some feedback:

Race: Human

stats (b4 human +2) 16 Str 16 Con 12 Dex 10 all others. *not sure where to put Human +2. currently leaning towards Dex for more ArP*

Heroic Feats:

Strength Focus 3/3
Toughness 3/3
Shielded Resurgence 1/3
Armor Specialization 3/3
Powerful Attack 5/5
Grit 3/3
Ubiquitous Shield 5/5

Paragon Feats:

Take Measure 5/5
Wrathful Warrior 5/5
Cruel Cut Style 5/5
Tactical Superiority 5/5
Reckless Attacker 1/1

Plate Agility 5/5
Shield Defense 5/5 OR Fight On 5/5 *not sure which to take here, SD is tanky-er, FO is more dps*

Class features: Combat Superiority and Enhanced Mark
Tenebris lux mea est
Post edited by asmodeus451 on

Comments

• Options
    omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    about dex: i would rather go with con/str, because 12 base dex means at 60 you would have 14 (2x +1 all stats) and 15 with campfire. That means 5% arpen, so you would need 1850 arpen stat for extra 19% which isn't hard to get (the highest mitigation on bosses is 24%, 22% for other mobs). The extra AOE resist is nice though, since stacked red circles are the main thing that can actually hurt you anyway.

A word of caution though: at the current state of the game, both CW and GWF have a HUGE edge in end game damage with high end gear. In pug parties you can be the nr1 dps, but really maxed out and skilled elite CW and GWF both will do WAY more damage. You can slot all R10/perfect enchants with maxed artefacts/companions, with all the offensives soft capped and 10-15k power.. and you will STILL be behind by a mile. So, if you are aiming for casual pug play GF can work pretty well (you can carry games with both tanking and DPS there) but if you aim for the very top, and want to compete on DPS.. then rolling a GF really isn't the best idea.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    thanks for the advice, i hadnt really considered the math involved with ArP, guess i'll put the human +2 into STR
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    you're welcome. The build looks solid otherwise. About Shield Defense vs Fight On - both are good options really. Have tried both, currently running shield defense for the extra DR. I prefer running Wrathful Warrior instead of Reinforce Surge to take advantage of the temp hp from take measure, pvp artefact and dc temp hp buffs, but the 1+ sec prone from Reinforce Surge is definitely a good alternative - especially in pvp.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    you're welcome. The build looks solid otherwise. About Shield Defense vs Fight On - both are good options really. Have tried both, currently running shield defense for the extra DR. I prefer running Wrathful Warrior instead of Reinforce Surge to take advantage of the temp hp from take measure, pvp artefact and dc temp hp buffs, but the 1+ sec prone from Reinforce Surge is definitely a good alternative - especially in pvp.

DOH, nice catch there. Copy/Paste fail. meant Wrathful Warrior to be in there all along
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    wondering if anyone else could chime in on this?

i'd like to get more feedback before i get too much further in leveling
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    panierepaniere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This build is the one I've been using since beta. There were some good guides a that time (Rokuthy's and Envy's) and the point distribution matches yours, few details aside. A couple of personal notes:
    1) Concerning temporary hit points, you want to pick all those feats giving them (grit and take measure) in order to abuse of WW, but you don't need to max out these feats. The temporary hp gain is very small and will drain away in a few hits anyway. Your best call here is to rely in good cc and deflection to keep alive that small portion of yellow bar and reapply it as often as possible as soon as you're hit. This is another reason why every good GF should slot Into the Fray in pve runs.
    2)I'd slot Enhanced mark only when I have to kite adds (fh 2nd and 3rd, Karr maybe). In all other circumstances, I go for Trample of the Fallen (ofc maxing out Battle trample). If you save points from grit and take measure, you should be able to get it too.
    3)About SD vs FO, I went for the second. I'm sitting at 45% damage reduction without the extra+5AC and I find it enough for the actual pve content.
    4)Last note: give improved vigor a chance, it's one of our best feats

Hope this helps :)

Mutombo
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    build updated w/ advice from several sources
    Tenebris lux mea est