test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

best PVE build?

reshaimreshaim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
Hi there, i'm trying to figure out the role of the HR in PVE and, after a lot of respec. i'm starting to think that the best contribution for the party comes from the nature build.
I've already tried both Archery and Combat and, while the latest is almost totally useless in PVE (or at least way less effective than the contribution from TR of GWF), the archery one it does a lot of damage but in a way less focused and effective than a CW, also considering that the damage increases the more HR is far from the targets.
For what i've seen so far the buff spec is the best one to seriously contribute to the party, it doesn't require the HR to be far from the other members (so Aspect of the Pack is a must), the buff really contribute to the party survival and the damage output is not so critically decreased (considering the most part comes from split shot).
Since i do not like pvp, i would like to share some suggestion about so, fellow rangers, let me hear what do you think about! :)
Post edited by reshaim on

Comments

• Options
    vengefulfuryvengefulfury Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To be honest I'm still working on a sort of hybrid myself. I must have started over about 3 times now with 3 different rangers to experiment i guess.

Oh well i guess i get better and better each time xD
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The best part of a nature build is that if you get a group that doesn't need the buffs but needs more dps you can slot higher dps encounters to do more pure dps instead of support as needed. Nature does seem to have the most utility for doing whatever is needed to succeed.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    My gut tells me the Nature Path would be the least effective.
    I haven't given it much consideration, though. I looked at it and dismissed any chance of going down that path. Buffing is great but I don't think buffs are important enough to spec into completely.

Personally I went down the combat and archery tree and specialized in any bonus from switching stances.

The main powers I use are Fox's Cunning/Shift, Rain of Arrows/Swords, Boar Hide/Rush, but I will frequently take out one or two of them depending on the situation. I can't even really say I have a main stay encounter.
    As for At Wills I use Split Shot/Strike and Electric Shot(doesn't exist)/Clear the Ground.

The role I fill is most closely compared to a GWF. I bring a lot of AoE damage from split shot and a hefty chunk of melee burst damage.
    It's sort of like a cross between a Cleric, GWF and TR. I bring a good amount of buffs, good AoE Damage and good single target damage. Really the role is more dependant on who/what is in your group more so than being definded by the class itself. It's not the greatest at any one thing but it is good in a number of aspects and it is good at all three at once if played to the full potential.

Honestly, I have yet to see a be all, end all power combination.
    The only things I notice make a signifigant difference in effectiveness is considering power interactions and using both stances.

If you look at all of the powers they tend to be a buff for one stance and a damage dealer for the other. Even using the buffs between, if not in, combat makes a huge difference. You don't have to be a button mashing hybrid like me to be effective but you can not ignore the fact there are two stances and not feel a bit ineffective compared to other classes.

Other than that you have to look at the powers you like and find combinations between them.
    For instance two of my ranged powers are just buffs to keep me alive in melee range. Once I get in melee range I will cast Rain of Arrows on an elite mob, immediately Boar Rush and make him sit in the Rain of Arrows. A couple of seconds of Clear the Ground and a Fox Shift and the elite and whatever else was nearby is likely dead.

It's not a single power which makes the class effective. It's not a particular spec. It's how your power and feat choices interact with each other. And not asll combinations will be effective for all situations.

I normally do more damage than wizards but less than rogues. Typically second place damage. And I am not fully geared, yet. I do not have item enchantments. I am not sure where I will end up after I am geared but ineffective is not how myself or anybody who has partied with me is likely to feel when all is said and done.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First: No one knows the best build yet, or at least no one has shared it. Not to say good builds haven't been posted but we are a long way from having locked everything down like has been done for other classes.

Second: The HR is incredibly flexible and will let you do a whole lot of different things, one of the hardest things is working through and finding what is best for your play style.

So with those two thoughts in mind;

If you don't measure success by the dps table at the end of the dungeon or kills in pvp but by achievement of goals (completing dungeon, winning the PvP) then the Nature spec is a good and useful contributor to a party. The biggest problem is that you will not achieve that goal until you are in the 50's while leveling. Of course if you are just respecing that's less of an issue.

I've posted a Nature build, (its linked in the stickied post at the top) and I'm not going to claim it is the best Nature spec possible its a solid point to start testing from. Please read the third post before respecing though as the comments there may be very useful to you.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    reshaimreshaim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First, thank you all for your kind reply.
    In fact, i already have a capped HR fully equipped and my post came after a series of respecs in wich i have seen many possibilities for this class.
    Still, i cannot understand why the main thought is to consider the HR another DPS class, i know it is possible to do huge dps with the HR stacking Power but i don't see the point in doing this since TR and GWF can do that better and more efficiently, while there isn't any other support class like a Nature HR.
  • Options
    xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "The Best Build" will depend on who you are partied with. If your party is weak, say < 11k GS and you are 12k or higher then you will do best by maximizing your damage to speed the party along and to more quickly eliminate encounters. However if you are 12k GS and your party is over 14k with a CW or 2 then it will make more sense that Nature might be more useful. So it depends on party composition. The bottom line, spec how you like to play and just do the best you can with your build of choice. Timing and Know-how seem to be more beneficial than just AH purchases.
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR