test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric Companions

boomerryboomerry Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Temple
Hey everyone. With all companions on sale for the next couple of days, I was looking at buying a few of them for my Cleric. I was curious what the best companions are for a PvE-focused healer Cleric. I've heard that the Ioun Stone of Allure is good, but beyond that I have no idea.

I also like the Sword Coast Adventures game, so that's a consideration as well.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by boomerry on

Comments

• kielblockkielblock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi, I got the same question, wondering if 'Ioun Stone' is still the best option. I'm thinking of getting one for Dungeon parties. I'm still using a basic (lvl15) 'Man-at -Arms' (shield dude) for daily quest's, but will be upgrading to a Mimic for that in the future.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Galeb Duhr. Hands-down, full stop.

I've been playing Cleric since Closed Beta, February 8th, 2013. I've tried all the companions. The best freebie in-game is the Man t Arms. The best Z-Store companions are the Honey Badger and Galeb Duhr (and again: I am referring to the "best" regarding a healing Cleric player).

The Badger is good, but too ...hrmmm, 'unwieldy'. It feels too random in how it attacks and works.

The Galeb Duhr, as explained directly in it's description, is designed to intentionally go after and grab aggro from the "strongest" of any mod, including main bosses. It does do this. It really works. This allows you to focus on the adds while the Galeb keeps the boss' attention. It's also a high HP Purple companion so it's strong and has lasting power. Especially if you equip it right and keep throwing heals it's way.

No joke: when I did the final boss at Helm's Hold (the Sanitarium) - I rarely engaged the witch, I kept going tat the adds and taking care of them. When I finally finished with them and turn to take down the witch - the Galeb Duhr did it all on it's own! My companion literally took-out the level boss all by itself.

Of course, this was six months ago and there have been many balancing changes made throughout the game. But nonetheless, I am absolutely convinced the Galeb Duhr is the absofekkinglutely best companion in the tank category, hands-down, full-stop. No one, and I mean NO ONE can convince me otherwise.

I found one on the Auction House and bought it and one on-sale right now so now I have two more sitting in inventory waiting on my next Cleric (or Warlock when it becomes available).

Just my own too-sense, your mileage may vary.

Edit to add: in Sword Coast Adventure, my Galeb Duhr is the best of all my companions (it's at level 20-something right now) - and it only fails die challenges (it has more dice than any other of my companions) once in fifteen or twenty tries. It's my best companion in SCA, too. #justsaying
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For leveling a character, you do just fine with any companion. The trusty, cheap (free with quest) Cleric companion from the Emporium is great for any class, and as a DC it will make it easier for you to slot as many damaging powers as possible without worrying much about potion use or slowing down your pace to stay healed.

There are those who disagree, but at 60 battle companions are not necessary for solo play and are often terrible things to bring into a dungeon due to their tendency to run around and pull mobs that you wouldn't have had to engage otherwise, making the run slower and messier. Ioun Stones and the Cat companion are popular because they let you build additional stats for PvE and don't otherwise exist (hence no aggro, no combat initation). Even if you can't afford to deck your augment companion out in the best gear right away, a few throw-away purples or strategically chosen blues will give an immediate boost.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• kielblockkielblock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    thanks for the replies.

@angrysprite: I see the value in a Galeb Duhr, but I am lvl60 and got there just using the free man-at-arms, and is currently doing the Sharandar & Dread ring stuff with no issues, I was more looking at something for 5 man dungeons, so I think I might stick with 'stone' as vorphied mentioned, no sidekick that engages mobs at the wrong time. So it still sounds like the best companion for epic dungeon runs.

thanks again
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kielblock wrote: »
    thanks for the replies.

@angrysprite: I see the value in a Galeb Duhr, but I am lvl60 and got there just using the free man-at-arms, and is currently doing the Sharandar & Dread ring stuff with no issues, I was more looking at something for 5 man dungeons, so I think I might stick with 'stone' as vorphied mentioned, no sidekick that engages mobs at the wrong time. So it still sounds like the best companion for epic dungeon runs.

thanks again

Well that makes sense! LOL I thought you were referring to a leveling Cleric. :)