test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can I make a random start point for a player in a map?

kap273kap273 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Foundry
I've got an idea for a module but before I start working on it I need to know if it's possible for the player to spawn at a random point in the map. Specifically, if someone repeats the module they would start out at one of several spawn points determined randomly. I searched for quite a while last night but couldn't find an answer so I figured direct question is best. If it's not possible, I'll have to rethink my map. Thanks!
Post edited by kap273 on

Comments

• Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The player start point is defined during quest creation and you only get one spawn point per map - random placement of players is not possible.
  • Options
    kap273kap273 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ok, thanks for the info! Time to put the brain into action and figure out how to make that work for me.
  • Options
    chibbiukechibbiuke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would suggest making a 'random timer' type encounter where you spawn a few encounters to fight each other out of sight of the player. Then, depending upon which encounter dies first (component complete), a different portal appears for the player to click on. Thus transporting them to a semi-random location on your map.
    NW-DF66TLIAM = MOB for a day
    NW-DFOEHE955 = Woeful Cave (in production but testable)
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    chibbiuke wrote: »
    I would suggest making a 'random timer' type encounter where you spawn a few encounters to fight each other out of sight of the player. Then, depending upon which encounter dies first (component complete), a different portal appears for the player to click on. Thus transporting them to a semi-random location on your map.

This method for random does not work reliably, the game will tend to repeat exactly the same in fights.
    I explained in this post a more reliable method.