test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF vs HR for end-game?

kroandarkroandar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hi folks,
I recently came back to the game and leveled an HR to level 60. In addition, i've also got a 60 GWF as well (both T1 geared) and i'm having difficulty choosing one character to focus on (I enjoy them both fairly equally). For T2 dungeons, CN, VT and MC if you had to choose a GWF or HR in your party -- which would you choose and why?
18.jpg
Post edited by kroandar on

Comments

• gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Ranger for DPS. GWF does decent DPS except it can tank and now can hold aggro. if your group of friends or guild needs a tank go for gwf, if they need dps, go for the HR
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • rapssodyarapssodya Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Ranger for DPS. GWF does decent DPS except it can tank and now can hold aggro. if your group of friends or guild needs a tank go for gwf, if they need dps, go for the HR

Yup, this is correct in my experience too. Hunters are great for burning bosses and often excel at the job even above TR's. Gwf's are always a nice addition to squishy teams too as they are a reliable anchor for the party - if someone goes down, its most likely not gonna be the gwf, thus, ya have someone whos there to pick you up, hold aggro for you and even put out good damage if build right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Krass Mustang - GF
    Diamond Krass Mustang - GWF
    Shadow Krass Mustang - TR
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Go with what you enjoy. If you enjoy mostly melee go gwf, if you enjoy mostly ranged go HR.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kroandar wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I recently came back to the game and leveled an HR to level 60. In addition, i've also got a 60 GWF as well (both T1 geared) and i'm having difficulty choosing one character to focus on (I enjoy them both fairly equally). For T2 dungeons, CN, VT and MC if you had to choose a GWF or HR in your party -- which would you choose and why?

OK, since you specifically mentioned T2, CN/VT/MC...

I'd say GWF 100%.

Sadly, the HR brings nothing unique in PvE for now. It's a glass cannon with weak CC compared to a CW.

However, the GWF is awesome in all T2s, but especially in the T2.5 dungeons mentioned above. Best damage together with CW, if properly specced, very resilient, essential in both MC (slam) and VT (plain survival, speed), but also in CN, where the GWF usually performs better than the TR because of his good AoE capabilities, and again, very good survival.

So I'd say pick GWF if you like both classes. For now, it is more useful. I would choose a GWF over a HR any day.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gwf and hr are both very common classes who have trouble getting groups especially at the t1 gear level as neither really shine at low gs. I play a gwf and typically form parties, i never ask about gs or worry too much about group composition, typically grabbing people i know have trouble getting a group, which includes hr. though ill admit its nice to have atleast a dc or cw, having both is gravy. Ive yet to meet a hr that does more than "meh" dmg but the highest gs hr ive grouped with was only 14k gs and the class is still new so im sure they'll start to impress me soon enough.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you were literally forcing me to choose,

CN 4/4: GWF without question due to aoe and survivability spamfest of Draco or to tank Draco.
    VT 2/2: slight edge to GWF due to survivability and even higher mobility than HR for caskets or downed players. But not much in it.
    MC 3/3: either.

Honestly, I would not base your choice of class on the criteria you state nor my opinions about group composition. It is best to play the class you enjoy the most, since you are much more likely to develop it and take it furthest all while enjoying yourself.

Until very recently, I was less than impressed by the HR class until just today I played on my GWF against a non-high geared teleporting/knockdown melee HR in PvP who whipped me more often than I did him without him using a single of the copious OP bugs that exist in the class. That has finally inspired me to consider making an HR to test, once the first month of tuning and bug fixes have taken their course.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    if u want to do dps go GWF, if u want to tank go GWF, if u want to PvP go GWF

if u want "unique" experience go HR :insert_image_of_broken_fork:
    Paladin Master Race
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The unfortunate downside to both classes is that for end game play, they are not really in demand for running dungeons. Looking at the parties trying to form on the "Looking For Group" channel, all the requests are for DCs, CWs, or GFs. Everyone has a HR in the game at the moment, so it's tough for them to find groups. GWFs can make excellent tanks, but in general people will be suspicious of your build and whether or not you can hold agro, so they will tend to pass you up for a GF. So if you are a member of a guild or have a group of friends who play together, then pick whichever you want. If you tend to PUG a lot ... be ready to wait a long time for groups.

Both classes by the way are excellent choices for PvP. I really hate facing a skilled GWF player in PvP.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No one wants HR in teams because most of them bring less to the party than any other class. An HR has to be well equipped, be specced right, and probably also understand bugs in order to be a good choice for single target damage when making a party.

A GWF just needs to be specced destroyer, have deep gash and student of the sword feats, normal vorpal, and t1 pvp armor set or better, and they are decent enough to do any t2 dungeon.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Where are all these groups looking for GF cus I rarely ever see that in lfg channel. When I do, it is always an undergeared / inexperienced party doing T1s. Believe me i'd love to dust off my GF and actually run dungeons with her.
    edited December 2013
    Where are all these groups looking for GF cus I rarely ever see that in lfg channel. When I do, it is always an undergeared / inexperienced party doing T1s. Believe me i'd love to dust off my GF and actually run dungeons with her.

Most groups going into Karraundax or Frozen Heart take a GF with them - now that a lot of the exploits in those two dungeons have been fixed it's really handy to have a GF who can kite/manage adds. Unfortunately past those couple of dungeons, any fighter (GF/GWF) is usually seen as a low damage liability for groups looking to form dungeons.
  • trapublicantrapublican Member Posts: 206 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Most groups going into Karraundax or Frozen Heart take a GF with them - now that a lot of the exploits in those two dungeons have been fixed it's really handy to have a GF who can kite/manage adds. Unfortunately past those couple of dungeons, any fighter (GF/GWF) is usually seen as a low damage liability for groups looking to form dungeons.

What exploit fixes? I see people abusing the same glitches that they have been for forever, especially in Karru.
    edited December 2013

gwf low dps ? wth are u smoking?? ask every gwf u have done dungeons with to respec and fix their gear/stop runing dungeons naked. gwf do about same dmg as cw(more on <6 targets, less on addfest)
    Paladin Master Race
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    gwf low dps ? wth are u smoking?? ask every gwf u have done dungeons with to respec and fix their gear/stop runing dungeons naked. gwf do about same dmg as cw(more on <6 targets, less on addfest)

While GWFs (Destroyer spec mostly) can do some impressive damage, they can also do really horrible damage. I've run more than one tier 2 dungeon where I have out damaged a Sentinel spec GWF with my cleric. GWFs are a very mixed bag and you never know what you will get (incidentally, those GWF that I have seen who can compete with a CW are all in the 15-17K GS range - the class is probably more gear dependent than any other in the game to make an effective build). Got to PE sometime - people aren't looking for GWFs to provide DPS for dungeons, they are looking for CWs - which are a far more reliable source of DPS.
    edited December 2013
    Instigator GWF are the ones doing real dmg. PE LFG chat is full of _____ that would run 5cw, glitch and push everything, even though pushing and glitching in most places are slower than doing legit. even if gwf could do 2x cw dmg they would take cw because of certain kind of brain rot affecting many bad players.
    Paladin Master Race
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GWFs are a very mixed bag and you never know what you will get (incidentally, those GWF that I have seen who can compete with a CW are all in the 15-17K GS range - the class is probably more gear dependent than any other in the game to make an effective build).

Couldn't say better.
    Pugging Gwf are like the lottery.
    The class has the potential but very few are playing the gwf in pve as it should be.
    Just bringing their favourite pvp sentinel gwf for pve...

Even if they had better dps with the new Iron Vanguard they are losing defensive capabilities and dying at the final boss at CN.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kozi001 wrote: »

Even if they had better dps with the new Iron Vanguard they are losing defensive capabilities and dying at the final boss at CN.
    If a GWF stays in his pure DPS gear on Draco, yes they will die. However any GWF worth his salt will have a 'Tanking' gear set for occasions such as this. Be it Instigator/Destroyer/Sentinel spec. :)
    va8Ru.gif
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    PE LFG chat is full of _____ that would run 5cw, glitch and push everything, even though pushing and glitching in most places are slower than doing legit. even if gwf could do 2x cw dmg they would take cw because of certain kind of brain rot affecting many bad players.

This was kind of my original point. The OP asked which class people wanted in their group for running a dungeon. The unfortunate answer is 'neither' if you are PUGing or trying to find a group in PE's Looking for Group channel. HRs may (or may not, the jury is still out) become in demand for DPS ... but at the moment there are a million of them trying to get gear and looking for runs. GWFs suffer from the old perceptions about the class and find it hard to get a group as well.

So my advise here is simple .. if you plan to PUG for dungeons, neither class may be a good choice. If you have a group of friends or guild to run with, then pick the class you like best. Our guild normally runs relatively balanced groups and either class would be welcome on one of our dungeon delves.
    edited December 2013
    ppl are catching up to gwf, even medicore ones can put up decent dps
    Paladin Master Race