test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's up with HR gear scores?

denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
Let me preface this with that I'm one who doesn't place too much emphasis on a toon's gear score. And I have no desire to debate the pros and cons of a gear score... That being said...

When I first leveled my HR to 60, and was outfitted in nothing but blues (some not even level 60 items), my gear score was upwards of 11k and some change (after receiving boons from the 2 modules). Eventually though, as I acquire T1 purples, and my stats do improve in the areas I wish them to improve... the gear score gradually drops as I replace each item of equipment with better items and swap my enchants into the new gear.

Am I overlooking something here? Or has anybody else noticed the same?
Post edited by denverralphy on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The blues have defense and regeneration on them in larger values than purple hr gear. I think the gs system puts more weight on defensive stats than it does on dps stats.
  • vhemvhem Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Check the math. The high end blues have a higher total of raw stats per item (except chest I think) than even the Dread legion gear. This boggled me since I encountered it on the preview and thought it would have been adjusted. In any case, judging from the art work and bonuses for sets, I would safely presume not concern went into the non Dread Ring gear.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The set bonuses and the stat distribution make a bigger difference than GS. GS is not that important.
  • miramolinmiramolin Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the Op has come across the same issue I am currently finding: Level 60 +5 Blue gear has better stats than Level 60 +6 Purple gear. Piece by piece, the +5 Blue is ~250 points higher.

Example:
    +5 Blue Piercing Warden Boots Power=371 ArmPen=371 Def=160 Deflect=198 Total=1100
    +6 Purple Gemmed Crafted Boots Power=276 ArmPen=415 Def=163 Total = 854

Thayan gear has similar difference.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    The gear score system is quite flawed imo. DPS classes can stack HP and get a very high gear score while having very bad DPS stats... for instance.

Trading a bit of, "gear score," for a set bonus and similar stats is very worthwhile. Don't pay attention to Gear Score, pay attention to your power/crit/arp.
  • miramolinmiramolin Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The gear score system is quite flawed imo. DPS classes can stack HP and get a very high gear score while having very bad DPS stats... for instance.

Trading a bit of, "gear score," for a set bonus and similar stats is very worthwhile. Don't pay attention to Gear Score, pay attention to your power/crit/arp.

And that is exactly the point - by putting on the +6 Purple gear (note that the crafted gear is Tier 2 - but has no set bonus) the stats you mentioned are reduced overall by 1000 points. Which means: continue to wear the +5 Blue gear.

But doesn't it seem like +6 Purple gear should be "better" than the +5 Blue gear?
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Purple should have more total stats. This has to be an oversight. But there is the chance that it is deliberate, at least when it comes to t1, t2+ set bonuses, since some of the 4/4 set bonuses are surprisingly powerful. But I'd say 90% chance this was an oversight that will be fixed in mod 20.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Gear score is just an image of the total stats. Nothing more. Set bonuses, weapon/armor enchants effects and such won't even be monitored, and high GS can be achieved even by coming in Dungeons with blue Regen gear as a TR.

So although most of the times GS means something about a player's gear, it doesn't mean that it's the be all end all, because high GS people fail as much as low GS people perform amazingly.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One thing is certain, I have respec'd twice and each time with almost the same gear my score keeps going down. As a matter of fact, I have better gear now and my score is lower than it was several weeks ago when I first got all epic gear. Something strange is afoot at the circle K.
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my oldest friend a while back on cell phones and their contracts. He observed that "things should come in 'good, better, best' and 'better' should be a proper superset of 'good', etc." As opposed to the deliberate confusion found in cell phone plans (which was far worse back then).

Ceteris paribus epic gear should always be better than rare gear. As a corollary replacing rare gear with epic gear should always improve your GS. The fact that neither of these are true in NW is a problem -- and indicative of sloppy work.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.