test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it accurate to list NW as an "action MMO?"

inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Just curious what everyone thinks. Let it be said that I am enjoying playing so far, I think it has great graphics and I like the combat system, I do.

However, that being said, is it really fair to call this an action MMO? What is perceived as action is nothing more than having a "/mouse over target" macro command on each of our abilities. This really has no different affect than clicking on a target and casting like traditional MMO's, you have essentially target locked as soon as you cast with your mouse over them. The only exception to this is a decent amount of melee abilities. Sprinkle in some ground targeted abilities which old style MMO's have as well and the only difference were left with is the shift moving abilities classes have to dodge abilities.

Compare this to other games, where there is only a handful of truly "target locked" abilities. Probably 85-90% of the abilities in the game need to be manually aimed to hit, like an FPS, ranged and melee alike. Two of the classes have an ability to dodge hits like we would with our shift moves, the others have other defense(block etc). Far more "skill based and action oriented." Yet no one here seems to prefer other games over NW.

Would you guys prefer if more things were skill shot based, like an FPS? Do you think this system works fine?(again, I don't really have an issue, just observing based on past MMO experiences). Do you like other games' system better but just like the flavor of NW more?
Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
Post edited by inquisitorrahl on

Comments

• fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    NW is an action combat MMORPG by any definition because there is no tab/key targetting. That is the only qualification.

I will say NW's core combat gameplay is much more fluid than any of the other mainstream MMORPGs, with the exception of some of the lobby-based action MOs. The game that you mention has many more restrictions on its combat system than NW's, including inability to perform actions while jumping or dodging.

There are also other attractions to playing NW (or there were) because its freemium model is much more liberal than most, as well as having a solid questing entry. So, it is at first appearance, very casual-friendly.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game

So, to my point of view, yes, Neverwinter is an Action MMO. The quote talks about Action RPG? Well, its said that NW has over 2mil players, so heres the MMO part.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's nice and all but realistically just because there's no tab targeting doesn't mean it's action. There is no difference between clicking/tabbing to someone and hitting Q vs. putting your mouse on them and hitting Q.

That being said, if ranged abilities were not guarantee hits on mousing over and required either aiming a projectile or aiming on ground, would this games perceived ranged>melee be less of an issue? If CW's and HR's etc were suddenly missing CC's because they were no longer guaranteed hits(unless dodged) would PvP be better? Would dungeons be better if CW's had to aim their CC at fast moving mobs instead of guaranteed hits? Etc etc.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    For my 2 cents, I say it's an action MMO.

Could it be *more* action MMO by dissassociating the auto-aim? Absolutely! How much of the player base would you lose due to that increased skill cap requirement? I know in my general lurking on the forums there are plenty of people who have limitations on the physical side that they are able to mitigate in NW due to it's current setup. If it came down to my choice (not that it ever would! :) ) I wouldn't change it.
  • norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    For my 2 cents, I say it's an action MMO.

Could it be *more* action MMO by dissassociating the auto-aim? Absolutely! How much of the player base would you lose due to that increased skill cap requirement? I know in my general lurking on the forums there are plenty of people who have limitations on the physical side that they are able to mitigate in NW due to it's current setup. If it came down to my choice (not that it ever would! :) ) I wouldn't change it.

Maybe I would change one thing, and that's not have skills root you in place. Keep the auto aim but when I want to cast, swing, or shoot my arrow, let me do it on the move. That would be fun.