test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Target lock should be removed from some skills

burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
They should remove the stupid target lock from split shot, its action mmo, ppl should be able to aim where they want, instead of being locked to target, rapid shot could use removal of target lock too
Paladin Master Race
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lainlain Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree. It's especially annoying on split shot when you're trying to get a group of monsters perfectly in the cone, and it ends up jumping between two close monsters rather than letting you line it up.
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    in pve its anoying yes. but in pvp if ur not locked on GL hitting anything. without auto lock its also imposible to jump behind a shield and hit a gf
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Two concepts ... Situational awareness, and Battlefield Tactics ... The ranger is designed to be a mobile infantry/light tank killer, if you can't get all the targets lined up 'perfectly in the cone' ... MOVE.

Removing auto-lock would completely and utterly destroy the ranger and would be a disaster, particularly for split shot!

Currently it auto targets each enemy within the cones radius, so even if "aesthetically" or "visually" it's not dead center, it will still hit up to five enemies in the 'cone', you only need one enemy within range.

Without the auto-lock 95% of your shots would miss targets, no matter how good you think you are at aiming, and then we would have a thread titled "We need Auto-Lock for Split Shot!"
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    Two concepts ... Situational awareness, and Battlefield Tactics ... The ranger is designed to be a mobile infantry/light tank killer, if you can't get all the targets lined up 'perfectly in the cone' ... MOVE.

Removing auto-lock would completely and utterly destroy the ranger and would be a disaster, particularly for split shot!

Currently it auto targets each enemy within the cones radius, so even if "aesthetically" or "visually" it's not dead center, it will still hit up to five enemies in the 'cone', you only need one enemy within range.

Without the auto-lock 95% of your shots would miss targets, no matter how good you think you are at aiming, and then we would have a thread titled "We need Auto-Lock for Split Shot!"

and splitshot missing 4 out of 5 mobs cause the game decided to lock i on the one target on the side is ok(melee range) ? how it would destroy hr when you were able to line cone better to hit all targets not missing some cause u cant aim between targets

and how would i get behind shield ? just like in counter strike - i would AIM

how clerics target chains, how cw targets sotea, ss and a lot of other skills, removing target lock would make it easier to aim and use, and if u cant aim a wide angle cone skill u should use helmet

aimed shot and some other skills with longer cast could remain target locked(despite this being action mmo not WoW)
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    vidarolafvidarolaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    it would imbalance the game it would make rouges stealth useless in pvp since you could then just spam it to find them in a very large area , so it should not be changed as much as i dislike it
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vidarolaf wrote: »
    it would imbalance the game it would make rouges stealth useless in pvp since you could then just spam it to find them in a very large area , so it should not be changed as much as i dislike it

not only that but split shot is easy to aim... just dont hold it down all the way if you want to hit everything. 5 8k's is better then 3 8.7ks
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    and splitshot missing 4 out of 5 mobs cause the game decided to lock i on the one target on the side is ok(melee range) ? how it would destroy hr when you were able to line cone better to hit all targets not missing some cause u cant aim between targets

and how would i get behind shield ? just like in counter strike - i would AIM

how clerics target chains, how cw targets sotea, ss and a lot of other skills, removing target lock would make it easier to aim and use, and if u cant aim a wide angle cone skill u should use helmet

aimed shot and some other skills with longer cast could remain target locked(despite this being action mmo not WoW)

No, that's also your fault. It's entirely simple to see which target you're aiming at and to choose the one you want. If you're targeting the one on the end instead of the one in the middle it's because you're bad, not because the autolock is.
  • Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wait, are you saying that Split Shot is hard to aim when you're surrounded by a bunch of trash mobs?

Have you tried...you know, switching to melee? OH NO GOD FORBID ANYONE DO THAT IT'S ALMOST LIKE YOU'RE IGNORING AN ENTIRE CLASS MECHANIC!

Split Strike is MUCH better at clearing trash in melee range, not to mention all those lovely AoE Encounter abilities as well.

/thread
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    why should i waste time switching to melee when i could kill them in 2 shots without charging, melee at my gear lvl sucks so much that it would take 3x more time to kill them

and stupid target locking isnt about being bad, its just about being a stupid target locking that takes away control from you, just like stability control in cars - that most of the time works ok but sometimes causes a crash cause the driver cant fully control car
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    How is hitting tab, then hitting the same at-will button you have split shot on, wasting time? Plus.. it does the same sort of damage as split shot! This.. seems kind of foolish to me.
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    How is hitting tab, then hitting the same at-will button you have split shot on, wasting time? Plus.. it does the same sort of damage as split shot! This.. seems kind of foolish to me.

It would probably take three attacks, because the melee version doesn't charge, so in order to do the same damage in the same period of time he would have to click more times... best I've got.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    that skill crits for as much dmg as non charged split shot
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think what we have here, is what's known in the IT industry as a PEBKAC error.
    (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

The mechanic is working perfectly fine, and if you are having issues, my suggestion is to go back a few levels (maybe Blacklake would suit your skill level?) and practice MOVING and using TACTICS by selecting targets BEFORE pressing the button.

And AFAIC, the devs at Cryptic have made the HR, to be at it's best as a Hybrid of Ranged + Melee, Not pure ranged or pure melee.

I haven't played/rolled 15 different ones and tried 73 different gear/ench combo's, but from playing my HR, I've noticed that they are absolutely devastating using a combination of Ranged AND Melee powers.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    decitusdecitus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While I see where both sides of the arguments are coming from...

I think the main aspect that the non-targeting group wants is more control over their skill cast, not the difficulty of positioning.
    I want the non-targeting because I like to spam skills in town... and not being able to spam arrows make me sad.

The reason why it's targeted could be to make the game simple, or simply because of coding and engine restrictions. Although melee at-wills seem "non-targeting", they actually lock to the most suitable target, and when you use a no-indicator AoE (urm... weapon master strike), it generates a small cone in front of you, and that already creates a lot of latency problems (stutter step with WMS is no longer usable after module 2... not sure if it's due to servers).

It would be lovely to switch to melee... but the only problem being melee is hella weak. Super duper weak. I'm at around 40s, and the same level blue weapons would have a 100 max damage difference... PLUS the melee encounters' are low too (save for ... hindering strike and marauder? Boar charge is meh).

So rather than switching to melee, it's actually better off to dash back like 5 times then start spamming split again.... (Also makes you live a little longer...)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    decitus wrote: »
    The reason why it's targeted could be to make the game simple, or simply because of coding and engine restrictions. Although melee at-wills seem "non-targeting", they actually lock to the most suitable target, and when you use a no-indicator AoE (urm... weapon master strike), it generates a small cone in front of you, and that already creates a lot of latency problems (stutter step with WMS is no longer usable after module 2... not sure if it's due to servers).

although the engine sometimes feels like its a failed school project i doubt the engine would restrict it, there are quite a few line/cone skills, Sudden Storm, Roar for example. i dont know why the hell they made all ranged skills require target, they could make
    them to hit if the target is near enough like everybody else does, but locking is annoying + no skill spamming in town :(
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, Melee weapons are weaker, but you also attack twice as fast with Rapid Strike/Split strike (roughly, if you charge it's even faster), so it evens out. Some of the Archery masteries also work with melee (I believe correcting aim does). The Melee AoEs are very good at clearing trash while soloing (I'm also in the 40s). In dungeons/skirmishes, however, I find that since I'm geared for all APen, crit, and Power, I die like paper if I'm not staying on my toes. It's a little difficult to gear for both because then you just end up "eh" at both.

I wanted a good melee-ranged hybrid class, and I got that while soloing, so I still enjoy it. In party-content, however, I find it must safer to stick to ranged unless the adds are actual trash that I can clean up faster with AoE. If the adds are all brutes, I should probably be moving the hell out of there.
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR