test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Split shot - The one and only

midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
Yeah, Split shot.. a very nice ability.. and the ONLY nice ability that the ranger has..

I just spam that everywhere, pvp, dungeons, solo dungeons.. and it's nice but I think it's the only good\high dps ability.

What do you guys think?
Post edited by midnightita on

Comments

• Options
    hrodvalderhrodvalder Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I haven't played excessivly with my HR, but so far, SS seems like the best At-Will. The Encounters I got so far are... meh.. they are ok, I really have to see that it will be on a well geared lvl 60 HR.

I kinda think this ability is "OP" when the game starts. I mean seriously, I never gone through the first 10 level so incrdibly quickly with only my At-Will...
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Aimed shot hits harder.

HR is more centered on the at-wills instead of encounters. That said, the encounters can do very nice damage. Split shot is nice, I use it as a primary group clearer, but the real power is aimed shot.

Just, imho. :)
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love splitshot. But aim shot 1 hits are so satisfying.. also there is an encounter rotation u can do in pvp where u can kill someone before they can even move/react
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    aimed shot > binding shot > aimed shot > hindering shot > aimed shot = dead, generally. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    aimed shot > binding shot > aimed shot > hindering shot > aimed shot = dead, generally. :)

Na, if u open with aimshot their already dead. I'm talking about only encounters rotation just incase u can't set up any good aimed shots

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Aimed shot is way better in PvP if you know when to use it. There was a ranger in my pvp today that crit over 20k with rank 5 enchants, no vorpal, and not even full epic gear.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    godlysoul1 wrote: »
    Aimed shot is way better in PvP if you know when to use it. There was a ranger in my pvp today that crit over 20k with rank 5 enchants, no vorpal, and not even full epic gear.

Wtf lol. I hit 13-25k and I'm almost maxed out for gear... what is this blastphemy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, Split shot.. a very nice ability.. and the ONLY nice ability that the ranger has..

I just spam that everywhere, pvp, dungeons, solo dungeons.. and it's nice but I think it's the only good\high dps ability.

What do you guys think?

I think that HR's have a whole range of fantastic abilities, but they're a bit more complicated to manage than other classes and call for a much more active playstyle. Split shot is exceedingly useful, as are rapid shot and aimed shot. BUt they're also all circumstantial.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    I think that HR's have a whole range of fantastic abilities, but they're a bit more complicated to manage than other classes and call for a much more active playstyle. Split shot is exceedingly useful, as are rapid shot and aimed shot. BUt they're also all circumstantial.

Idk I thought rapid to be very lackluster.. I think split has more dps In every case

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love splitshot. But aim shot 1 hits are so satisfying..

Too bad this doesn't really apply to PVE at all, since you're usually taking out a single enemy in a group of enemies. You only really get to use Aimed Shot once before they all use their gap closers and/or quickly speed towards you.
    Idk I thought rapid to be very lackluster.. I think split has more dps In every case

Rapid is for quick single target attacks. It actually shares almost the exact same base damage as an uncharged Split Shot, but at around twice the fire rate. This makes it better for a more hybridized playstyle since you can quickly change from melee to ranged, shoot a few rapid shots against a single target while your melee abilities cooldown, then change back to melee to finish. It's also superior against enemies that get into your face and attack fast, since you don't have to worry about charging.

The reason why Split Shot is so appealing, is it's basically around an equal number of Rapid Shots in time, but in an AOE. It does this much damage, so it feels rewarding enough that you'd actually use it. It just so happens that with your massive range, you can just start and end fights with trash mobs before they can even turn your way.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Rapid is very useful when you're using your shift to stay out of harm's way while still hitting your enemies. Shift, rapid, rapid, shift, rapid, rapid, escape, split/aimed, etc.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Rapid is very useful when you're using your shift to stay out of harm's way while still hitting your enemies. Shift, rapid, rapid, shift, rapid, rapid, escape, split/aimed, etc.

U can do that by tapping split and it hits 4x harder

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Too bad this doesn't really apply to PVE at all, since you're usually taking out a single enemy in a group of enemies. You only really get to use Aimed Shot once before they all use their gap closers and/or quickly speed towards you.

Well I did a few karundax and had gf/cw take all agro from me. Other cw had 3 mitigation debuffs on boss and I spammed 50k aimed shots killing the boss in a few short minits without a tr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arriarri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think Aimed Shot is overrated. People love seeing big numbers all in one go, that's it.

Personally, in a game about killing groups of enemies, I'd rather have the ability to take out an entire group at once.
    Pinnys of all shapes and sizes.

Pinny Foxfang - 60 Guardian Fighter
    Pinny Foxfire - 60 Scourge Warlock (Temptation)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    arri wrote: »
    I think Aimed Shot is overrated. People love seeing big numbers all in one go, that's it.

Personally, in a game about killing groups of enemies, I'd rather have the ability to take out an entire group at once.

But.. u can have both ;P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Wtf lol. I hit 13-25k and I'm almost maxed out for gear... what is this blastphemy

It's quite possible the person they were hitting was debuffed and/or not well geared. It was a very 1 sided match, but yeah, they said 20k and I wouldn't completely discount it seeing how much hp they were hitting off the enemies, but who knows. I doubt they hit near that high all the time. Seems a bit unrealistic that they would make it possible to hit well over 30k fully geared with P Vorp.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    godlysoul1 wrote: »
    It's quite possible the person they were hitting was debuffed and/or not well geared. It was a very 1 sided match, but yeah, they said 20k and I wouldn't completely discount it seeing how much hp they were hitting off the enemies, but who knows. I doubt they hit near that high all the time. Seems a bit unrealistic that they would make it possible to hit well over 30k fully geared with P Vorp.

My highest was a 25k on a tr bot lol, p vorp max arp etc. On tanks I only hit in the low teens. But the average cw/tr/hr dies in 1 shot. Sometimes its weird though. Like I'll 1shot a 25k hp cw with an 18k.... dunno what happens there

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    arri wrote: »

The ability to open with a massive hit to crunch a good part of health from an elite.. and that's over rated? I would have to disagree with this. When I'm dealing with a pack + elite, I aimed shot the elite > binding shot > use the elite to line up the split, do 2 of them back to back, then finish off the elite with melee. It's a very nice tool with a pre-determined factor of them having good damage as the whatsit charges in. It takes skill to use well. However anyone who breaks down how a fight goes, should be able to leverage it well.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I liked Aimed Shot but pretty much a gust of wind interrupts it. So while it is a good opener I replaced it for something else that was better for me in all around situations. I could see it more useful in PvP though I haven't really done much of that yet with my HR.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I couldn't get used to Aimed, it seemed like if the adds or Elites farted it would reset, and it just seemed a little to buggy for my liking.

Is anyone using the Electric Shot? I've tried it and it's not bad for Elites who spawn adds during encounters, as it also hits the adds whilst they are emerging, but it's way quicker than Split and tends to crti. more often. it doesn't hit as hard as rapid but it's like a mini AoE and it also destroys their Recovery
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    bladenite81bladenite81 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I use the buffs for my encounter powers and it rocks..30% dmg mitigation with full stacks of feated boars hide and stag heart, one free dodge..you can get two aimed shots off, ski away, fire another, boars melee, fox melee, ski away split shot..rebuff while moving, forest ghost and the heal then rinse and repeat if its a boss
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For a ranged focused HR; Split/Rapid/Aimed at 3/3 is a good investment.

For more melee centered HRs I would suggest Electric has good value, but that is armchair guidance.

The advantage of having Split/Rapid/Aimed is you can choose the right at will for the situation. Split is good ranged AoE damage and keeps the class rocking there with the DPS classes, Rapid is fast but weaker, but has good AoE burst in melee so you can tap it 2x for a burst of melee damage on everything before dashing away (Forest Ghost or ME) and spraying with Split to finish. Aimed does bleed in melee and is great for tough lonely bosses that you can easily out flank (think Plaguechanged Maws as a basic elite example).

Not sure what my rotations will be, but having the option to be doing 10k+ hits every 2s on bosses or to open on tough elites while the tanks gap close has a lot of appeal.

But yes while leveling Split Shot is sexy stuff.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    I couldn't get used to Aimed, it seemed like if the adds or Elites farted it would reset, and it just seemed a little to buggy for my liking.

Is anyone using the Electric Shot? I've tried it and it's not bad for Elites who spawn adds during encounters, as it also hits the adds whilst they are emerging, but it's way quicker than Split and tends to crti. more often. it doesn't hit as hard as rapid but it's like a mini AoE and it also destroys their Recovery

You will probably never pull great numbers as an Archery specced Hunter Ranger if you can't learn to use Aimed Shot effectively.

Use Forest Ghost to drop agro.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Just out of curiosity what sort of "big number" are you referring to?

I'm not currently having any problems, I prefer to use the HR's mobility rather long windup single shot DPS. I use rapid and split, plus I'm playing a Hybrid, so I swap to melee fairly often.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    You will probably never pull great numbers as an Archery specced Hunter Ranger if you can't learn to use Aimed Shot effectively.

Use Forest Ghost to drop agro.

My split shots hit for 9-17k. U don't need aim shot but its nice

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fledmagicianfledmagician Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's powerful, but it's nessessery.

the first Encounter you get is "run away" and obviously deals no damage, the second is a slow that deals the same damage as your "rapid shot" but slower, and the third is a tiny radius DoT that's probably not going to tick more than once before the target leaves its radius.

your at wills are your basically your only way of dealing damage until you learn to melee.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, I'm pretty much completely feat'd, powered, spec'd and geared for solo PvE, and at around level 40, I was consistently getting 21k+ hits from split shot and 4k+ hits from rapid, so I don't feel disadvantaged for not using aimed, and I find I prefer to be more mobile and I also swap to melee attacks after a combination of the vines and shin breaker encounters for slow + dmg ... Works very well for me. I've gone for Pwr++ -> Crit -> ArmPen mostly, with some recovery, regen, lifesteal and built up STR/DEX/WIS mainly. It's a fragile build to be sure, but in PvE, I just pop pots and head back to campfires frequently, but it gets the job done and If I team up with a good tanky GF who grabs aggro, it wipes maps in minutes.

I almost never use my daily's except for some bosses/larger elites, I use melee counterpart for the electric shot, it's my particular favourite, as it's almost as good as Sweeping Strike.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    You could pick up forest meditation to mitigate pot usage. Between that and the Waters artifact, I've not used pots.

First time I used a pot was level 35, skirmish in helm hold - clearing the mobs from the final boss both daily and artifact were on cool down. So I shrugged and used one. It's good to have a daily heal. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Now I'm running a tank ranger build and its probably the most op thing next to the newgwfs. U can reach 55% dr 12% regen 24% deflect and 29k hp. While sustsining 3.5k power 2k crit and 3k arp. Using marauder/bind/constrict/lonewolf/falcon/aimed/split for pvp and when ur ganked by 2 heavy cc classes like gf cw, u can contrict cw bind gf maruader out and spam split shot if u think u can take them or mount out and reposition. Having a lot of fun on this class :p also has anyone tried out cold steel huricane? When I use it it shoots out this big ball of nothing and wastes my ap bar -.-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    From what I've seen on the forums, CSH is broken, like lone wolf. It's a solid setup that you have and the only thing I have different is wolf pack instead of lone wolf. I, however, am not at the high end game to be able to mirror your output yet. :)

... on an unrelated note; it seems the enemy team has come out of the wood work today in terms of all of you having a sig pic? Something happen? Or just flyin the geek colors proudly? (meant in a completely friendly way, no insult intended)