test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why I absolutely love this game

ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There are far too many threads with whining, so here's one positive one. :) I love the game, and it's getting better all the time.

First of all, there's the classes. Yes, there are a zillion rangers right now, but that's to be expected. But interestingly, and naturally, I do see less of them around in PUGs, and I went back to my rogue myself. The fun part is there are enough classes right now that everyone should find something they like. Personally, I think the ranger is close to perfect for me. It's a lot of fun to play, and got the little extra I miss from other classes. Though I love the rogue as well, as well as the guardian fighter. And if I can get myself into playing the wizard or cleric more, I'm sure I will like them, too. Great weapon fighter... I'll get back to that one eventually. :p But I do see a lot of them around, which is great. It's not my cup of tea, but they are a lot of other people's.

Second, there's the gameplay. The enemy warp speed is really annoying at times (shoot an enemy fifty miles away, and it hits you with a sword a quarter of a second later? WTF?), especially with the ranger. Then again, it's really fun to insta-kill four or five enemis with a single shot, so that more than makes up for it. It's obviously and somewhat painfully obvious the game was not made with a ranger in mind, but no worries. I'm sure it gets harder later. I'm only lvl 23, after all.

Third, there's the crafting system. Not sure what's changed, but I'm actually making stuff I can use occasionally. Very occasionally, but still. I do have one complaint here, though. Weaponsmith need Residuum for nearly everything. Why? Residuum are hard to find, to say the least. It's not a big concern of mine, though. I just spam an early, non-residuum receipe over and over. It takes forever to level up, but I'm not in a hurry.

Fourth, there's the dungeons. They are still a lot of fun, even after doing them 20+ times. And with the dungeon finder, its' easy to find groups, too. There's a little bug lately that makes me start a dungeon after it's finished, but I'm sure that can be sorted out. Or I can just start my own group, I guess. No big deal. I'm not a huge fan of doing dungeons over and over anyway.

Fifth, there's the community - zone-chat excluded, of course. Most of the players I meet in the game are really nice. I enjoy PUGs here, and that's not common in online-games. Kudos to the players for this one.

Sixth, there's the race selection. It's coming along nicely, and I've considered deleting one of my seven characters just to try a new race. And I *always* pi8ck the small races in other games. Except Tera. That mini-race felt so... wrong. Not sure why. But in others, it's always hobbits, dwarves, gnomes, ratonga or whatever. In this game? I made an orc. Once. And deleted it after a few minutes, but still. An orc. Or half-orc, not sure. And one of my mains is a moon elf. Another a drow. :) (my ranger is a halfline, but, ah, nevermind that.)

Seventh... well, you get the idea. It's not a flawless game by far, but it's really fun to play. Literally, the gameplay is a lot of fun. I wasn't too impressed at launch, but that was a looong time ago. Now I can't even consider not playing it regulary anymore. Way to go. :)
Post edited by ladymythos on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's fun for casual play, past casual it loses a lot. But I think that's their target demographic.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Makes sense. I'm as casual as they get, and I love this game. I even settle for a green companion if it looks cute, over a purple that might be better in the long run. :)
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I agree, and I have a lot of fun with this game. I found a great guild, so I've got a solid group of people to run content with when I want, though I still run in PUG's from time to time, and like you, I really enjoy running the dungeons as well.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The game is fun to play, that's for sure.
    For me the main pro is the foundry.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cryptic has always been more casual focused. Its one of the main reasons ive enjoyed their games for so long. That, and thier knack for simple addictive combat systems.

Ive been enjoying NW f.rom open beta. And I dont honestly see that changing anytime soon. Even with that said, im pretty hard to really impress. Good is easy, but to wow me, thats hard.

So I gota give kudos to the team that did the Phantasmal Fortress. That place is just pure trippy awesome. I loved it
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah the wrap speed is annoying. especially when your hacking away at them and tap your stealth to use lashing blade and before the animation even begins, they're all the way across the room beating on your generic cleric companion!

What I do like is the fact that your screen is not cluttered. Its very efficient. The combat system is great, point and click, doesn't get any better than that. Some other games you have to click then go to one of the 80 windows open on your screen, sort through some stuff until you find what you want, click that, close that window, open yet another...you get the idea...just to kill a minion.

As I am a casual player, I can live with the glitches here and there. I do run dungeons legit though and will drop party in heartbeat if I see any exploit/cheat behavior. I'm not against blowing by some enemies who are off the beaten path, or ones that can be snuck by, but I've seen some stuff that is just crazy.

I may post some things out of frustration now and again, but for the most part, I do enjoy this game. Are there things that need work? PVP? Exploits? Yes, but neverwinter still has some growing to do. If more people would report bugs and crazy instances (like spawning in the middle of a dungeon inside a rock) it would go a long way.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    The game is fun to play, that's for sure.
    For me the main pro is the foundry.
    I love the foundry! :D The problem is, it can be hard to find a good adventure there sometimes. Many of them start really good, then fall apart once you get into them. One of the saddest once I've tried had a really good start and a story that intrigued me, but near the end, it was just fight after fight after fight after fight. That sucked. If the author had made the ending as good as the rest, it would have been nearly as good as the main game.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Good is easy, but to wow me, thats hard.
    Same here. "Good" is easy. The difficult thing is finding that little extra. But the fun part is, the little extra is in many ways all a game needs. Graphics are good, but it's not necessary. Think about Minecraft, for instance. I don't like it myself, but a lot of people do, despite it looking horrible. I do like DC Universe Online a lot, even before the graphic overhaul. (Right from the start, I had Wonder Woman as my mentor, and teamed up with Zatanna. And I was in love.) :) Neverwinter certainly has that little extra. Not quite sure what that ilttle extra *is*, but it has it. ;)
    tornnomar wrote: »
    Yeah the wrap speed is annoying. especially when your hacking away at them and tap your stealth to use lashing blade and before the animation even begins, they're all the way across the room beating on your generic cleric companion!

What I do like is the fact that your screen is not cluttered. Its very efficient. The combat system is great, point and click, doesn't get any better than that. Some other games you have to click then go to one of the 80 windows open on your screen, sort through some stuff until you find what you want, click that, close that window, open yet another...you get the idea...just to kill a minion.

As I am a casual player, I can live with the glitches here and there. I do run dungeons legit though and will drop party in heartbeat if I see any exploit/cheat behavior. I'm not against blowing by some enemies who are off the beaten path, or ones that can be snuck by, but I've seen some stuff that is just crazy.

I may post some things out of frustration now and again, but for the most part, I do enjoy this game. Are there things that need work? PVP? Exploits? Yes, but neverwinter still has some growing to do. If more people would report bugs and crazy instances (like spawning in the middle of a dungeon inside a rock) it would go a long way.
    The warp speed sometimes feel game-breaking to me. I mean, think about it. I'm running as fast as I can to get away from the enemies, and two wolves are running *sideways* past me. Or trying to, except they hit an invisible wall. That's just ridiculous. Or the fact I stand three hundred meters away from an enemy with his back turned to me, yet he attacks the second I raise my bow. WTF? By the time I let the arrow loose, he's already attacking me. Unfortunately, both are caused by the game mechanics, so it's not easily solved. The issue is simply that while it looks like the enemy doesn't see me, the game mechanic does all the checks if I hit, how much damage I do and all that. Basically telling the enemy he's under attack, so he should counter attack. It's the same thing with the wolves. They should attack, so the game mechanic "drags" them with me. Not saying it's poor mechanics, but it could be better. Then again, even WoW has this issue. (enemies always attack when I fire the arrow, not when they are actully hit.) It's not game breaking, just annoying.

Yeah, I think we all post and say things sometimes in frustration that we might not mean as much as it sounds. That's called venting, or blowing off some steam. It's quite normal. The thing to keep in mind is even if we do mean everything we say, we should always be able to discuss things in a serious tone and keep things civilized, and we only get mad because we love the game. If I ever get so upset about a game that I want to quit, I quit. I don't go posting to the forum to tell everyone how bad the game is, or that I quit.

And now, it's time to head back into the game. Enemies have warp speed? Hah, try warp speeding into my arrow. That'll be fun to watch. :D (oh, and I loooooooove the ranger. They held it back to make sure it was fun. Best. Decision. Ever.)
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I gota give kudos to the team that did the Phantasmal Fortress. That place is just pure trippy awesome. I loved it

It sure is. I quite enjoy it. It was very well done, and the team that made it deserves some praise.
  • willadarkeaglewilladarkeagle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree--I have a ton of fun playing this game. My only wish right now is that there was a way to scale dungeons for solo or smaller groups.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mod note: please do not derail this thread with off-topic comments. there are plenty of other threads open for you to leave your complaints. thanks.

do not reply to this moderation notice. instead, send us a PM to discuss it.
  • majhookmajhook Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not quite sure what "Casual" user is that people say the game is for. For me across the board I have spent more time with this MMO then pretty much everything but City of Heroes. Now that they have enchants that allow you to increase your find rates it has opened up foundry for playing and progressing once 60. I actually love the refine system as I feel like I am now leveling every piece of gear, companion and artifacts, this is a good thing. Lots to tweak now that I can try out new gear enchant combos easier with easy removal and reset. PVP is a blast and like every mmo before it has issues that need to be looked at.

Congrats team Cryptic on making a game that I long to get to as fast as I can get home from work. If playing 40+ hours a week is a casual user then mark me down as one, otherwise just call me a hardcore gamer who likes good games and you hit most of the hot buttons for a great long term game.
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree this game has alot of potential. I like the graphics and combat system myself. I do however feel when I level my alts the game does lack some PvE content during low levels....after the forth alt through the quest lines it gets harder to push on. All in all until something happens that does not go my way, I will play on and enjoy it!
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's overall a good game. It goes without saying it has it's issues like any F2P MMO. Let's see if they go the direction most other f2p mmos go or if they go the opposite route and make it into something great. Only time will tell.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would be nice if they added an alternate starting leveling path - up until just after you fight Rhazzad - so maybe it'd take you to until the Blackdagger Ruins zone. It could offer more of an "outsider's view" of things, instead of one who was directly involved in the initial siege of Neverwinter by Valindra. Perhaps it could instead deal with the Redcaps, Trolls, and Fomorians initially moving on the portal area that leads to Feywild, and our characters help keep it a secret from them, (but perhaps the point we leave at has the elves just clearing the portal).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rammy01rammy01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    only started playing this game 1 week ago so yup i am as **** as they come
    to be honest it only took me 1 day to figgure out how to play the game so gratz to devs on an easy to play game
    love the graphics and quests
    proffessions i thought was an excellent add on also
    i really do hope they expand this game
  • lazyrcmlazyrcm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just started playing this game recently, having not even realized this was released in June, and I am pretty impressed. I usually go into all free games (not just free mmos) with a healthy amount of skepticism not expecting anything more than a small distraction, but this game feels like something that can last. I have played several mmos, some of which very extensively, and even though I've only gotten to level 15 so far I can say this is better than some subscription mmos. Some of the things I like are:

-profession/class/race diversity: Similar free games usually offer 1 or 2 choices of each and charge for everything else so I was impressed how much there was to choose from, but I will say I feel like they should allow you to create more than just 2 free characters

-tons to do in game and does free to play right: There is definitely a lot you can do without using real money from professions, to pvp, to dungeons, the foundry (great idea), auction house, offline features, etc... and from what I can tell thus far you can acquire absolutely everything for free even if it takes longer via astral diamond/zen trade

-combat/role archetypes: combat feels pretty smooth and sensible although movement sometimes feel awkward but maybe that's just something I have to get used to being a guardian fighter while managing shield blocking....and I like the standard trinity of heal, tank, dps. Having fun in gw2, but I do miss the standard trinity and don't know if I truly enjoy gw2s version. Only done one group event thus far but it was fun and I assume the top tier dungeons will require more organized/balanced groups.

-graphics: very solid graphics I haven't experienced any graphical glitches and I like the graphical style a lot.

I'm sure there will be more I can say I enjoy as I level up, but for now those are my first impressions and there is definitely great potential.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Glad you're all with us! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love leveling up new characters for the most part. Still hope they nerf Hotenow like they did Helm's Hold like they did back in Beta. While it would be nice to see new maps for leveling, I'm ok with what we have. I played the last two ES games for probably close to three years total, running the same things over and over and refining my playstyle, learning the system. I do that in NW as well, it's a game that's easy to pick up the basics but there are a lot of things to learn even after that. Right now I'm leveling up two more characters and having a much smoother run than my first ones. My level 24 DC soloed the artifact quest yesterday and the only problem I had was the huge hit boxes of some of the mobs, and my follower getting locked out of the fight. There's no way in the world I could have done that with my first cleric. She just ground out two levels fighting level 28 stuff in Neverdeath, to get to the level of the quests there, and had no trouble at all - other than the people who kept trying to help the poor cleric by joining in and getting my XP!

I also love the visuals. Though I'm burnt out on it now, Sharandar was so different than everything else. Much as I loathe running the quests, parts of Hotenow are just breathtaking.

Also, while I'm a soloist by nature, it's great to have the option to team up with other people from time to time. While I've met stom real stinkers, I've also made friends. Actually had someone I met in a random PUG awhile back just join my otherwise dead guild of 2. Maybe some of the others we met then will do so as well. Even before that, we ran dungeons together. After the first run of in CT, we stayed together and ran another, then even after DD ended, we did Idris. The two of us were running Dread Ring together when the server went down.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • savasowasavasowa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Avast, my fellow travellers.

Let me first say that I seldom use the forum to connect with people as I also am a player, like pitshade, which is a soloist by nature and does most of the things most of the time on its own and figures out most of the stuff on its own. Nevertheless, I dare to say that I count myself among the thousands of silent, watchful and satisfied players, reading the forums once in a while but first and foremost trying to enjoy a well-designed and well-written tale. And always remember: Rome wasn't built in a day.

So, Kudos to everyone behind the Tales of Neverwinter.

And I shell remain silent again.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    This is by far my favorite mmo and I have played all the "best" ones. The game is an incredible balance of so many things- game-play, story, replayability, community. I love that it does not take its self TOO seriously as happens with some mmos which really just end up seeming silly and pompous (eg the cheesiness of nwo is like the cheesiness in an awesome bacon cheeseburger, its not like finding some low grade cheese in what was sold to you as a gourmet meal). I love the sheer amount of creativity put in this game from the entire team. Without becoming too weird or serious or offensive (a really hard balance), the game manages a creative storyline, and continues to be creative and fun in more and more new ways. I think that is my favorite part: there is always something new. The amount of solid content they crank out is pretty amazing. New areas, events, classes, items, upgrading things like crafting (professions) and refining enchants (which is kind of crafting in its self), new paragon paths, always new events, always a sale in the zen market. The game is EVOLVING. Some mmos have the feel of being manufactured along really narrow boundries, NWO definitely doesn't feel that way.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited December 2013
    Just to add my two cents worth: I have seen very few haters in this forum so far, much, much fewer than other MMOs that I have played for the past 10 years. This says a lot about a F2P MMORPG (Unless the mods here are super efficient at closing and removing hate threads :D).

Personally, I enjoy this game very much and I am very pleased that for once, non-paying players can get all the bling paying players get in a f2p game if we put enough time and effort into the game, well almost all the blings... :P

Thank you for creative a wonderful game Cryptic. Oh, and Dread Ring's graphics is very well done!
  • vulpinnvulpinn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I prefer this game over gw2 by far. it might be that I'm not a big fan of having to search around for something to do ( I like a directed quest system)
    but still gj
    it feels like gw2 and dragon age had a baby and d&d raised it because dragon age was in jail and gw couldnyt handle the responsibility on her own xD
    idk but still
  • cowikercowiker Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    well me bipon and my wife all have 3 new laptops we saved our info and got the laptops set up what do we need to do to be able to log in we get the failed attempts