What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How good is pure melee ranger?

Comments

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll say it again, In My Humble Opinion, Cryptic have built the HR from the start as a Hybrid class, I don't think they ever intended players to totally specialize in Ranged or Melee.

I always use a combination, Ranged to start the encounter and to whittle down enemy HP and clear trash, incapacitate/slow next, and if they have any HP left after that, switch to Melee and finish, their is even a feat which specifically aids this style ... I am having no difficulty whatsoever pulling "big numbers" and killing Elites, Captains or Bosses ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    I'll say it again, In My Humble Opinion, Cryptic have built the HR from the start as a Hybrid class, I don't think they ever intended players to totally specialize in Ranged or Melee.

I always use a combination, Ranged to start the encounter and to whittle down enemy HP and clear trash, incapacitate/slow next, and if they have any HP left after that, switch to Melee and finish, their is even a feat which specifically aids this style ... I am having no difficulty whatsoever pulling "big numbers" and killing Elites, Captains or Bosses ...

In point of fact: There are several feats and powers which aid this playstyle.

+5% deflect magnitude for 5 seconds after stance switch (this one is very weak)
    +3% damage when switching
    +5% stacking buff for the stance you are not in (Serpent)
    -1.0 seconds to ranged encounters when using melee encounters
    -0.5 seconds to cooldowns when hitting with a crit
    +15% melee encounter damage after using a ranged encounter
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    End Notes: If you guys like the build, maybe I can write a more detailed one sometime in the future. I'm still busy with testing a different build but I should be able to find time to write a roughly made theoretical guide.

I'd be quite interested in seeing a more detailed look at this build, and am eagerly anticipating your other guide based on the stat distribution that we talked about.
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since The archery nerf, me and my guild tried out combat pure melee. And its stronger than archery ever was lol
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Since The archery nerf, me and my guild tried out combat pure melee. And its stronger than archery ever was lol

:D Glad others are seeing the true power of the Ranger Striker class.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pvp or pve ?
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    pvp or pve ?

Both Its the better tree for both pvp and PvE IMHO i run combat and can still replace a second CW in Dungeons.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    @ikeepit3hunna and voltomey

can u post ur new melee builds?

btw im still slowly leveling my ranger but i had in mind more a hybrid, since u guys have taken the melee path i need to know how good is the last capstone melee feat, 17% chance to deal weapon damage doesnt sound too apealing (its like what 1k extra dmg?) how does it work?

Coz i was even thinking since they nerfed the archery capstone, which was the good one, to go full hybrid and go half way on both archery and melee paths to take advantage of all the melee dmg buffing.

take the crit severity, melee encounter dmg buff and correcting aim in archery
    stamina on at will, ranged encounter cd reduction and 15% damage on melee the extra point would be more crit.

thoughts?
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

;) Happy to know. We had this discussion some days ago, and I was convinced that I would go Combat over Archery. The whole tree is all about PvP.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ;) Happy to know. We had this discussion some days ago, and I was convinced that I would go Combat over Archery. The whole tree is all about PvP.
    Its not just about pvp the whole combat tree augments your best stats. Atm thanks to that tree i have 30% deflection chance 30%DR 50% crit chance and about 4k power 25% Run speed and and atm about 25k health i can get 30k health when i get my rank 10 radiants. the combat tree is flexible enough that you can build a super glass cannon HR or a more tanky deflection based HR. Depending on your style.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How are you getting 25% run speed? I am most likle missing something obvious. I only see the 10% movement speed increase in the combat feat tree. Where is the other 15% coming from?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    How are you getting 25% run speed? I am most likle missing something obvious. I only see the 10% movement speed increase in the combat feat tree. Where is the other 15% coming from?

My primary gear is t1 pvp witch is actualy perfect for the combat tree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oh yeah, forgot about that.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, forgot about that.

i use low rank darks atm but i am hoping i can push it to 30% runspeed or close to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    todesfaelle , where do you get ring of the noble beast?
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Answered you in PM, friend. But for everyone else who may be wondering, the awesome rings and belt which I listed for the Deflect/Regen Melee Build I posted some days back can be bought from the Pegasus Seal Trader.
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ill ask again for those who are running the melee tree..

how good is the melee capstone feat? what sort of damage is it dealing when it procs?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ximae wrote: »
    ill ask again for those who are running the melee tree..

how good is the melee capstone feat? what sort of damage is it dealing when it procs?

DMG that cannot be mitigated in any way not by a GF block not by deflection not by dmg resistance i can burn through a GF shield and still dmg him with fox shift thanks to the capstone feat and blade storm.Arguably GF are the easiest class to kill as a melee ranger well one of the easiest.you can also burn though unstopable like its not there unless ther packing the blood raven artifacts then they will just add more temp HP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    DMG that cannot be mitigated in any way not by a GF block not by deflection not by dmg resistance i can burn through a GF shield and still dmg him with fox shift thanks to the capstone feat and blade storm.Arguably GF are the easiest class to kill as a melee ranger well one of the easiest.you can also burn though unstopable like its not there unless ther packing the blood raven artifacts then they will just add more temp HP

^Precisely why I've always thought melees are strong. The capstone feat has always been very good and hopefully it doesn't get nerfed. 17% pierce chance without any ICD is just plain awesome, and people are still complaining that Melee HR's aren't viable and that not stance-switching will just gimp an HR. People can play just melee or just ranged if you built your character to act in such a manner.

The melee build I created on page 2 concentrates on maximizing defensive capabilities and survival while taking advantage of the melee capstone's effect. Melee Rangers will get most of their damage from the capstone effect, so stacking defensive stats are the way to go for melee IMO. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ^Precisely why I've always thought melees are strong. The capstone feat has always been very good and hopefully it doesn't get nerfed. 17% pierce chance without any ICD is just plain awesome, and people are still complaining that Melee HR's aren't viable and that not stance-switching will just gimp an HR. People can play just melee or just ranged if you built your character to act in such a manner.

The melee build I created on page 2 concentrates on maximizing defensive capabilities and survival while taking advantage of the melee capstone's effect. Melee Rangers will get most of their damage from the capstone effect, so stacking defensive stats are the way to go for melee IMO. :)

People think melee in general is bad for ranged class Melee for ranger is high risk High reward if prayed right.The only problem with melee ranger as that unlike TR we don't really have much to survive with which is why melee rangers tend to overload on defensive stats. I do so much good dmg on my ranger in melee i don't think vorpal is really needed gonna try a life drinker enchantment got a perfect one setting in my bank collecting dust that mite save me from haveng to stack Life steal. I just gave my self a idea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    My melee ranger is level 60 now, using t1 bow with perfect bronzewood. I do about half the damage of my GWF with GPF. It is much harder to play, even stacking 2k+ defense and 2600+ deflect and 27k hp. High risk, low reward. Once I find a good ranged build I will switch. Split shot at-will does more damage than any melee encounter.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Then again, maybe you'll want to switch the GPF of your GWF with your P. Bronzewood. Bronzewood isn't the most useful enchant for a ranger as the ranger has <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> tons of ArP. You may see that the difference is probably lying in gear. The BiS for Melee spec-ed HR's is Brutal Hunter as well. So I'm thinking this may be an issue with gear.

Give it a bit more time, man. IMO, Melee HR's are like AoE TR's. They're squishy as heck but can hit much more stuff than TR's. The beauty in the melee tree lies in its capstone feat. 17% chance to cause unmitigated damage is just too good to be true.
  • Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And I'm sure it's already been said, but Blade Storm + Twin Blade Storm? Talk about giggity-giggity-goo.
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Then again, maybe you'll want to switch the GPF of your GWF with your P. Bronzewood. Bronzewood isn't the most useful enchant for a ranger as the ranger has <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> tons of ArP. You may see that the difference is probably lying in gear. The BiS for Melee spec-ed HR's is Brutal Hunter as well. So I'm thinking this may be an issue with gear.

Give it a bit more time, man. IMO, Melee HR's are like AoE TR's. They're squishy as heck but can hit much more stuff than TR's. The beauty in the melee tree lies in its capstone feat. 17% chance to cause unmitigated damage is just too good to be true.

ArPen is irrelevant to Bronzewood. Perfect Bronzewood is a flat 16% damage boost regardless of ArPen and opponent's DR.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Bronzewood says it reduces defenses, but like many such debuffs they are actually flat damage increases. P bronzewood is a 16% flat damage increase for 10 seconds, can only be applied once to the same target every 20 seconds, applied by encounter, but doesn't benefit the encounter that triggers it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Seriously? I read a test about Bronzewood from dkcandy that it's just an ArPen boost, making PF a superior enchant due to the fact that it goes to negative mitigation. I guess I'll need to reconfirm it one of these days.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That claim was disproved. You can test it by using it on test dummies that have no armor. It will show increased damage. A normal bronzewood is only like 50k ad so cheap to test.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That claim was disproved. You can test it by using it on test dummies that have no armor. It will show increased damage. A normal bronzewood is only like 50k ad so cheap to test.

Yeah I actually bought one a while back. Will be testing soon enough!
  • Options
    vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would be happy with a melee paragon focused path and stormwarden a nature focused path and with a 3rd paragon being archery focus. I know feats have focused trees into combat, nature, archery. Would be cool for paragons to also focus to a specific play style. I hope the add the Ranger Tempest paragon tree. I do HATE that my main wepon has to be my bow. Do not get me wrong, I like having both bow and blades, but my build in melee focused in combat tree. I would like me melee weapons to be my primary slot and my bow off hand, so my weapon enchants are on my blades, not my bow.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    weapon enchants go off of what powers you are using.