test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Choosing a race for your Ranger!

daz0neforumdaz0neforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
Hey , I'm pretty excited for the new Ranger class, so I was wondering what race are your Rangers gonna be :cool: ?

I'm thinking about going Elf for the bonus dex and crit strike, got any suggestions or ideas as to what suits the class best ? leave 'em here!
Post edited by daz0neforum on

Comments

• Options
    fudouyusei2fudouyusei2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Maybe I'll choose Drow, for the Darkfire effect, so i don't need to focus too heavily when i start the Hunter Ranger
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Personally, I'll be Human. Forever and ever. Also @obsidiancran3 and @voltomei posted some amazing suggestions and discussed the HR in this thread. I'd look there if i was u. :o
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't have any wood elf characters yet, and their stats fit the class, so I think I'm gonna go w/ that.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was gonna go Dwarf, but after seeing that the racial stats for Dwarves are still bugged (none work in PvE) I'll probably stick with Human.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will be rolling a Sun Elf. +2% AP gain, +2 INT/DEX and will be rolling an INT/WIS Archer spec-ed HR. Maximized utility and survival while keeping DPS at decent levels. Wouldn't want my ranger to be a glass cannon.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Personally, I'll be Human. Forever and ever. Also @obsidiancran3 and @voltomei posted some amazing suggestions and discussed the HR in this thread. I'd look there if i was u. :o

cheers man awesome post ...suggest u all check it out. and nice seeing ppl excited for this ^^
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Probably a Wood Elf, maybe Sun... decisions, decisions.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm using My Menzoberranzan Renegade for everything, Just 'cause I like them, If the Dragon Born are released however......

I really want a Dragon Born Druid!
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited December 2013
    Drow, and Wood elf are the only races that have fitting Stats, but any race would be viable. Personally ill be going Wood elf, stats fit, and +Crit chance is useful.
  • Options
    laeaornyalaeaornya Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm personally going with half-elf, but that's simply for concept purposes. I'm not as much of a min-maxer as I probably should be.
    nwo-banner_zpsa70beece.jpg
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm re-rolling my human ranger on live, but I've a notion of making a dwarf ranger for the lulz...maybe if we ever get another HR paragon path.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am going to go with Wood Elf.
  • Options
    silvikksilvikk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Drow, and Wood elf are the only races that have fitting Stats, but any race would be viable. Personally ill be going Wood elf, stats fit, and +Crit chance is useful.

Wouldn't say that. Halflings have pretty well-fitting stats and a great complementary racial power (+3% deflect chance)

That said, my ranger will be a Tiefling because that's how I envisioned her, long before I knew their stats didn't line up at all.
  • Options
    immahealyounowimmahealyounow Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2013
    Isn't halfing considered the optimal race for virtually every class?

Sure, it looks horrible aesthetically, but that 3% deflection chance goes a long way towards mitigating burst damage from other DPS classes, helping you live long enough to get a few more regen ticks or at least contest a node a bit longer. That 10% control resist is clutch too.

I'm not up on the mechanics of the ranger, but I remember hearing that damage is reduced by 75% (like rogue) when deflected while in melee mode?

I can see tiefling being viable for the passive, perhaps?

Of course, I'm saying this assuming PVP. If you PVE, just pick whatever looks nicest!
    * Blessing - 60 DC * * Blessa - 60 GWF * * Blessed - 60 TR * * Bless - 60 GF * * Blessings - 50 CW * * BlessedArr0w - 30 HR *

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    whatefwhatef Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I don't have a Drow yet, and it seems they're a great fit for the HR. So I guess I'll do the least original thing ever and go make a Drizzt Do'Urden clone. Well, I suppose it's at least slightly less unoriginal than a Legolas clone. :p

Maybe I'll choose a female and focus on ranged attacks to make it less of a ripoff.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Human

/10 char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dusty345dusty345 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    me personally i will be a reneged drow. since they have the fire special with dex awesomness.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    im kinda torn between picking an Elf for the stats or picking a Half-Elf cuz the roleplayer in me is telling me to xD...
    not sure what to do
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was thinking drow for the passive, but now I'm wondering about wood-elf to help a little bit with the feats.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will be rolling a Sun Elf. +2% AP gain, +2 INT/DEX and will be rolling an INT/WIS Archer spec-ed HR. Maximized utility and survival while keeping DPS at decent levels. Wouldn't want my ranger to be a glass cannon.

This sounds like an interesting idea.
  • Options
    iceaxe18iceaxe18 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to pick Drow.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    Wood Elf for my archer ranger, probably human or halfling for my melee ranger.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been torn between the Sun Elf, Moon Elf and Menzo-Drow - the Drow (to me) feeling the least likely candidate conceptually-speaking. I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Menzo-Drow for the stats and planning to create an archer-focused Ranger. Though the min-maxer 1% this and 1% that might have influence, I don't think it's enough influence to sway my decision as I don't do PvP or P(arty)vE. As a soloist those stats have the least influence of all, I suspect.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been torn between the Sun Elf, Moon Elf and Menzo-Drow - the Drow (to me) feeling the least likely candidate conceptually-speaking. I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Menzo-Drow for the stats and planning to create an archer-focused Ranger. Though the min-maxer 1% this and 1% that might have influence, I don't think it's enough influence to sway my decision as I don't do PvP or P(arty)vE. As a soloist those stats have the least influence of all, I suspect.

A bonus of 1% to AP generation wouldn't be much. Sun Elf though would have a potential 6% bonus to it: Racial Bonus + Feywild Boon + Sprite companion Active Bonus. Still, I don't know if that would be enough to sway your thinking.
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is a Poll here and link to all Races on page 4.

Was moved to Barracks by Admin.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?532011-Which-Race-will-you-roll-for-your-Hunter-Ranger-Poll/page5
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Actually Half-Orcs are at least as good as Drow or Wood Elf, and Humans work well for almost everything also.

Having said that, I am making a Wood Elf even if it may not be the absolute optimal racial choice since it fits the class so well....
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    silvikk wrote: »
    That said, my ranger will be a Tiefling because that's how I envisioned her, long before I knew their stats didn't line up at all.

This is not as true as it seems. :)

I'll definitely be rolling a Tiefling HR, as like you that is how I envisioned her before I knew anything about the class, and now that I know a lot I'm still going with Tiefling. :)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I'm making a sun elf int/wis build.

I saw the guide on stats and absolutely following that to get 20s in multiple stats to make them all valid.

Then the boosts with the partial AP uses. It's going to be good times for all.

As for style of play, I'm going to be the skirmisher style. Hybrid ftw!
  • Options
    kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Female Dwarf, just for the fun of it, hehe :D

:cool:
  • Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to play a half-orc archer named Nurzhan of the Oasis, my archer character from the NWN2 server, Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles. He's a Waukeenar adventurer, and whenever he encounters a dangerous situation, he asks, "What would Waukeen do?" The goddess inevitably responds with, "Back away; you're not getting paid enough for this."
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...