test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An important queston to ask.

jinadujinadu Member Posts: 65
edited December 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Hello everyone I want to discuss with you a question that can only be answered by the community itself.
I've just started playing this game maybe about 5 days ago, gotten to 60 (with the help of 2x exp ofc) and have full epics 10.6k+ GS TR which isn't too relevant to this thread but here goes.

(Warning: this maybe a long post)

Why do I feel a little unwelcomed by this community?

To some it might sound like im QQing or something. Its not such a big problem for me in particular because im still having fun on the game but. It seems like experienced players have some sort of animosity towards the newer players, as soon has a wipe occurs everyone is leaving party etc.

I mean, I can understand why if you get frustrated in a dungeon that you know can be completed with ease but it just seems like NOBODY is willing to take the time to explain to newbies how to get it right. I think yesterday I joined a group who was spamming on lfg for any TR for frozen so I thought okay whatever i'll join, I told them its my 1st time in here and 1 guy left straight away and others said lets remake, so I left before they could say anything else. So right now all I have been doing is cc/ct because I don't wanna join som1s group and have them kick me for nothing :confused:

Also, I see a lot of people on lfg spamming they want experienced players for (x) dungeon, where does that leave me lol? If you kick som1 because they are kind of new and you think they will fail how do you expect them to get better at all without them learning :confused:
I consider myself a fast learner and have been in every mmo I've played, its easier for me if som1 tells me what to do on a run than watching videos with stupid music in them on youtube :/

I don't know what it is, maybe som1 out there can explain to me. Maybe not being in a guild is partly the reason but even then, Im not just gonna join any random guild with a stupid name. And half decent guilds want experienced players let alone good guilds.

Go ahead and tell me what you think... Sorry if this post is kind of long, but then again only those who are able to comprehend wont have a problem with replying to me.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by jinadu on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I recommend you try the new dungeoneer chat channel, (I think it's first_time_dungeoneer or something similar). You can also try out the NW_Legit_Community channel.

My advise, in general, though, is this: Do not use the queue system to get on a team. You will get players that expect you to be experienced and/or use cheats to finish it quickly. They want you to run with a certain set of powers, and have little tolerance for people that don't play "their way".

You can also try forming your own team - the Tier 1 dungeons, generally, are easy enough that you don't to be super optimized to come out victorious, (just avoid Grey Wolf Den, as the end boss is quite hard for a T1).

Hope that helps, and good luck!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jinadu wrote: »
    Hello everyone I want to discuss with you a question that can only be answered by the community itself.
    I've just started playing this game maybe about 5 days ago, gotten to 60 (with the help of 2x exp ofc) and have full epics 10.6k+ GS TR which isn't too relevant to this thread but here goes.

(Warning: this maybe a long post)

Why do I feel a little unwelcomed by this community?

To some it might sound like im QQing or something. Its not such a big problem for me in particular because im still having fun on the game but. It seems like experienced players have some sort of animosity towards the newer players, as soon has a wipe occurs everyone is leaving party etc.

I mean, I can understand why if you get frustrated in a dungeon that you know can be completed with ease but it just seems like NOBODY is willing to take the time to explain to newbies how to get it right. I think yesterday I joined a group who was spamming on lfg for any TR for frozen so I thought okay whatever i'll join, I told them its my 1st time in here and 1 guy left straight away and others said lets remake, so I left before they could say anything else. So right now all I have been doing is cc/ct because I don't wanna join som1s group and have them kick me for nothing :confused:

Also, I see a lot of people on lfg spamming they want experienced players for (x) dungeon, where does that leave me lol? If you kick som1 because they are kind of new and you think they will fail how do you expect them to get better at all without them learning :confused:
    I consider myself a fast learner and have been in every mmo I've played, its easier for me if som1 tells me what to do on a run than watching videos with stupid music in them on youtube :/

I don't know what it is, maybe som1 out there can explain to me. Maybe not being in a guild is partly the reason but even then, Im not just gonna join any random guild with a stupid name. And half decent guilds want experienced players let alone good guilds.

Go ahead and tell me what you think... Sorry if this post is kind of long, but then again only those who are able to comprehend wont have a problem with replying to me.

Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind, that if you see them looking for "experienced players" they are actually looking for people who know how to exploit in specific dungeons. They are just trying to hide it. The best thing you can do is to join the channel, that Bioshrike provided the data to and ignore the foul apples, so they can rot in peace.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for tip ill look into those channels, but I guess its not just dungeons either, I was in pvp the other day was 14-0 killing some mage and he was like your an awful rogue etc. just trolling, I was thinking how can I be awful if im 14-0 and top of the scoreboard.
    He then proceeded to say you have no skill your rogue whatever...
    Like I said I've only played this game for about a week so I know nothing about it, I picked TR at random so it was a surprise to me how much damage it does on single targets. Usually in mmorpg's I'd pick the warrior berserker(great weapon fighter) style class but I thought I'd switch up for once and immediately I got someone telling me I have no skill lmao.

I also told that guy that plenty of CW have owned me its an equally strong class but he wasn't having any of it lol.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I avoid PvP like the plague. Even when I have LP daily and Rhix's, I have to draaaag myself to it. It just isn't fun in this game. When you start getting smack talk from your own team? When they know they're taking chances with it being a PuG? Nope. Nope nope nope. And then getting to see the smack and bickering between both parties? Still nope. GG pvp? The worst for this.
    ^my two cents on this game's PvP. I do sincerely hope it gets improved.^

As for party runs, PuGs, and "experienced groups": Simply, yup. But also, its like this game's RNG. Sometimes you just constantly get screwed over with negative people. I've have good luck with them, although I still have faced a few early dissolvings.

The Legit community, I've done a few runs with and it's been fairly positive, even when a completion wasn't a viable option. So that's been awesome.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    I avoid PvP like the plague. Even when I have LP daily and Rhix's, I have to draaaag myself to it. It just isn't fun in this game. When you start getting smack talk from your own team? When they know they're taking chances with it being a PuG? Nope. Nope nope nope. And then getting to see the smack and bickering between both parties? Still nope. GG pvp? The worst for this.
    ^my two cents on this game's PvP. I do sincerely hope it gets improved.^

As for party runs, PuGs, and "experienced groups": Simply, yup. But also, its like this game's RNG. Sometimes you just constantly get screwed over with negative people. I've have good luck with them, although I still have faced a few early dissolvings.

The Legit community, I've done a few runs with and it's been fairly positive, even when a completion wasn't a viable option. So that's been awesome.

Im usually not a fan of pvp in games... in fact I normally hate it with a passion BECAUSE of the conflict and negativity. But when I tried the pvp in this game I fell in love with it. But yeah I see your point...
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    My two cents.

Cent nr 1: Try joining the NW_Legit_Community. It's not directly aimed at new players, but as the name implies, it's meant for legitimate players. Aka players who don't want to cheat or exploit. Most people I've found through that channel are nice people. :)

Cent nr 2: I play DC Universe Online (yeah, still do), and to be short, I've seen it all in that game. I once was in a group with two strangers. The dungeon was a bit challenging, but we gave it our best shot. The problem was one of those guys in my team insisted on learning me how to play (despite me being max level at the time, and clearly knew what I was doing). I tried being patient with him, but clearly, that wasn't good enough for him. To cut it short, he ended up calling me a lot of stuff, even rather rude stuff. I left the group when he called me a b****, and told him he had crossed the line. Bickering is fun, but name calling is beneath me. As I was heading for the exit, he didn't even consider apologizing, but kept saying I "had to learn". Of course, by the time I was at the exit, he was on my ignore-list.

The fun thing here is that the other guy was a really nice guy, and he apologized for the other guy's behavior. We ended up going through a few Duo dungeons (basically a dungeon for two people) (why are there none of that in any other MMORPG ever made?). Both were strangers, and they didn't know each other. One ended up as a friend for a while, the other was on my ignore-list before the dungeon was over. That's how different people really are. It's not just in that game, but in all games. Some are jerks, some are nice. The best thing you can do is ignore the bad ones and welcome the good ones. :)
  • Options
    nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have had similar problems,I haven't run the dungeons or pvp since I started in the beta stage,the few times I tried people quit just as its starting or in the middle,I'd find myself alone(stubborn,refuse to quit) so I haven't had a chance to learn how to do anything with a group,in pvp everyone scatters and can't do anything getting killer from the start,the whole idea of a game is to have fun,why not have patience and help those who don't know how learn,they just rage quit as if they were born knowing how to play calling people stupid for not knowing how when everyone has to learn at sometime,what do you have to lose?a little time?the games not going anywhere and the dungeons are always there to play.Take some time with the members of the group,maybe it will take a few trys to complete a dungeon but the players learn and in their time will teach others,there is always going to be new players,thats how the game grows.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    My two cents.

Cent nr 1: Try joining the NW_Legit_Community. It's not directly aimed at new players, but as the name implies, it's meant for legitimate players. Aka players who don't want to cheat or exploit. Most people I've found through that channel are nice people. :)

Cent nr 2: I play DC Universe Online (yeah, still do), and to be short, I've seen it all in that game. I once was in a group with two strangers. The dungeon was a bit challenging, but we gave it our best shot. The problem was one of those guys in my team insisted on learning me how to play (despite me being max level at the time, and clearly knew what I was doing). I tried being patient with him, but clearly, that wasn't good enough for him. To cut it short, he ended up calling me a lot of stuff, even rather rude stuff. I left the group when he called me a b****, and told him he had crossed the line. Bickering is fun, but name calling is beneath me. As I was heading for the exit, he didn't even consider apologizing, but kept saying I "had to learn". Of course, by the time I was at the exit, he was on my ignore-list.

The fun thing here is that the other guy was a really nice guy, and he apologized for the other guy's behavior. We ended up going through a few Duo dungeons (basically a dungeon for two people) (why are there none of that in any other MMORPG ever made?). Both were strangers, and they didn't know each other. One ended up as a friend for a while, the other was on my ignore-list before the dungeon was over. That's how different people really are. It's not just in that game, but in all games. Some are jerks, some are nice. The best thing you can do is ignore the bad ones and welcome the good ones. :)

Yeah I play DCUO too... I mean if your not geared properly for the instances your doing it can be a pain and ppl quit out which is annoying... But I was lucky when I started I already had friends playing the game to help me learn everything, the jerks you have to watch out for is in the 8 ppl raids that's when the hatred begins.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I have had similar problems,I haven't run the dungeons or pvp since I started in the beta stage,the few times I tried people quit just as its starting or in the middle,I'd find myself alone(stubborn,refuse to quit) so I haven't had a chance to learn how to do anything with a group,in pvp everyone scatters and can't do anything getting killer from the start,the whole idea of a game is to have fun,why not have patience and help those who don't know how learn,they just rage quit as if they were born knowing how to play calling people stupid for not knowing how when everyone has to learn at sometime,what do you have to lose?a little time?the games not going anywhere and the dungeons are always there to play.Take some time with the members of the group,maybe it will take a few trys to complete a dungeon but the players learn and in their time will teach others,there is always going to be new players,thats how the game grows.

Yes... I fully agree with you. Everyone has to start somewhere, but it seems like the more experienced players just DO NOT want to take the time out to explain to someone how one dungeon goes they rather ask for 13-14k+ GS players that will cheat through the dungeon and leave everyone else clueless.
    Like I said before, if you don't teach the newer players then who will? GM?! I don't think so...
    How do you expect the dog not to pee on in the house again if you don't rub his face in it.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I play DCUO too... I mean if your not geared properly for the instances your doing it can be a pain and ppl quit out which is annoying... But I was lucky when I started I already had friends playing the game to help me learn everything, the jerks you have to watch out for is in the 8 ppl raids that's when the hatred begins.
    I'm all for learning how to play a game, whether it's DCUO, Neverwinter or anything else. But there's a right way of doiong things, and a wrong way of doing things. The right way is actually two-fold:

First of all, you should learn as much as you can on your own, so you don't end up wasting a lot of people's time. The last thing you want to hear when starting a dungeon is: "How do I attack?" :p But learning on your own isn't always an option. Playing in a group is different than playing solo, as you need to learn what your place in the group is and, crucially, learn to stay there. To use LotRO as an example, it was insanely annoying to see healers running around with War Speech on. Yes, it makes them do more damage, but it also cuts their healing in half. Ask yourself this: Why would a healer in a group need to do damage? Answer? He won't. Ever. He's a healer, so he should stay a healer.

Second, people can't always learn on their own, as I said. Even if you know your place in a group, you won't know the dungeon the first time through. I think everyone should respect that, and always be aware that some people are playing the dungeon for the first time. Some might not even know their group-class too well, either. (meaning it doesn't matter how great you are at solo, if you've never played in a group.) The best thing to do in this situation is to be patient and helpful. Give a smile and receive a smile, so to say. If you're just going to b*** about things and complain a lot, that's exactly what you get in return. Despite having lived nearly four decades, I have yet to find a single occasion where being a complete jerk makes people act friendly around you.

So what if we died at a boss because someone didn't know how to play properly? We'll just try again, and again. If we always succeed on our first try, where's the fun? I don't want everything served on a silver platter. I want to earn my rewards.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm all for learning how to play a game, whether it's DCUO, Neverwinter or anything else. But there's a right way of doiong things, and a wrong way of doing things. The right way is actually two-fold:

First of all, you should learn as much as you can on your own, so you don't end up wasting a lot of people's time. The last thing you want to hear when starting a dungeon is: "How do I attack?" :p But learning on your own isn't always an option. Playing in a group is different than playing solo, as you need to learn what your place in the group is and, crucially, learn to stay there. To use LotRO as an example, it was insanely annoying to see healers running around with War Speech on. Yes, it makes them do more damage, but it also cuts their healing in half. Ask yourself this: Why would a healer in a group need to do damage? Answer? He won't. Ever. He's a healer, so he should stay a healer.

Second, people can't always learn on their own, as I said. Even if you know your place in a group, you won't know the dungeon the first time through. I think everyone should respect that, and always be aware that some people are playing the dungeon for the first time. Some might not even know their group-class too well, either. (meaning it doesn't matter how great you are at solo, if you've never played in a group.) The best thing to do in this situation is to be patient and helpful. Give a smile and receive a smile, so to say. If you're just going to b*** about things and complain a lot, that's exactly what you get in return. Despite having lived nearly four decades, I have yet to find a single occasion where being a complete jerk makes people act friendly around you.

So what if we died at a boss because someone didn't know how to play properly? We'll just try again, and again. If we always succeed on our first try, where's the fun? I don't want everything served on a silver platter. I want to earn my rewards.

Unfortunately there are only a handful of players who are like-minded as you are and Im sorry to say that Im really not seeing them, I dunno if its just me or the times I play at, but all I see is people wanting exp. players only which there isn't anything wrong with that I guess, who wouldn't want to finish a dungeon fast... But it is very discouraging on the rest of the community.

This morning I was playing and saw someone in zone chat say: "Theres no reason for new players to play this game"
    When I saw this I was like yep... Put the final nail in the coffin, really no-one gives a flying F**k.
  • Options
    stompstomp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am a new player. Started last week on Friday. I turned off zone/local and all chat channels but say and PM. Why? Because of the attitude I kept seeing. I am primarily a solo player but I do like to chat with folks, but....how do I find folks to talk to? That would actually be nice.

Thankfully the one question I have had to ask so far was answered here on the forums and nicely, but had I asked it in game I am pretty sure I would have been yelled at.

We shall see what happens at higher levels as I am only level 24 now.
    Got a story based Foundry mission you want me to try? Go here! - "Honest Feedback for a Good Story!"

Character Name: Argothial@Stomphoof
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    stomp wrote: »
    I am a new player. Started last week on Friday. I turned off zone/local and all chat channels but say and PM. Why? Because of the attitude I kept seeing. I am primarily a solo player but I do like to chat with folks, but....how do I find folks to talk to? That would actually be nice.

Thankfully the one question I have had to ask so far was answered here on the forums and nicely, but had I asked it in game I am pretty sure I would have been yelled at.

We shall see what happens at higher levels as I am only level 24 now.

I highly recommend the NW_Legit_Community chat channel, and I've heard good things about the First_Time_Dungeoneer channel as well.

You may also have better luck asking for help in zones *other than* Protector's Enclave, as the people in those zones tend to be there for a purpose, instead of just mulling about...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    djyrbdjyrb Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wanted to add my strong recommendation for the NW_Legit_Community channel as well - every time I run with groups found there, I have found nothing but patience, friendliness, and solid teamwork.

And most of all, learning how to win the fights other groups I've been in say are impossible without doing this glitch or that.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    unfortunately there is a lot of trolling done in PE zone chat. i have changed my zone chat color to a dark gray so i hardly see it. you can also disable it completely. i have a special chat tab for things such as pvp where you have certain people that like to trash talk. but you'll still see some of it regardless... i've even seen some in NW_Legit_Community. best thing to do is right-click/ignore those people. if they're using racial slurs or being particularly offensive, report them. there's no reason to let rude people ruin a good thing.
  • Options
    devilshark5devilshark5 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I highly recommend the NW_Legit_Community chat channel, and I've heard good things about the First_Time_Dungeoneer channel as well.

You may also have better luck asking for help in zones *other than* Protector's Enclave, as the people in those zones tend to be there for a purpose, instead of just mulling about...

I second the Legit channel. Wonderful folks there.
    California Sunshine
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

The first time dungeoneer channel I never see anyone talk in but I must say I am very impressed with the Legit Community, nothing but friendly and helpful people there and the last few days it has not been short of any conversation, even when people aren't trying to get a group together or running dungeons there is always a discussion going on about the game or w/e which is nice. Much more pleasing for the eye to see than Protectors enclave Zone/LFG ch where all ppl do is talk sh*t.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Ask yourself this: Why would a healer in a group need to do damage? Answer? He won't. Ever. He's a healer, so he should stay a healer.

Have you actually played Neverwinter? A Devoted Cleric needs to fill slack time with at-will attacks, in order to build Divinity.. in order to heal. It is a core class mechanic for the game's only healer.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Have you actually played Neverwinter? A Devoted Cleric needs to fill slack time with at-will attacks, in order to build Divinity.. in order to heal. It is a core class mechanic for the game's only healer.

I think the person you quoted was talking about LotRO - I'm not familiar with the system there regarding healers to comment one way or the other - just wanted to point that out though.
  • Options
    stompstomp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The first time dungeoneer channel I never see anyone talk in but I must say I am very impressed with the Legit Community, nothing but friendly and helpful people there and the last few days it has not been short of any conversation, even when people aren't trying to get a group together or running dungeons there is always a discussion going on about the game or w/e which is nice. Much more pleasing for the eye to see than Protectors enclave Zone/LFG ch where all ppl do is talk sh*t.

I joined the Legit channel yesterday and its now my go to channel for chit chat and questions and general hilarity. Even when people were talking about things that my lowbie self did not know (like the whole dread ring thing, or great weapon fighter stuff) it was still interesting. They have all been friendly and have put up with my odd questions as well :)

If ya see Argothial in there, that be me! :P
    Got a story based Foundry mission you want me to try? Go here! - "Honest Feedback for a Good Story!"

Character Name: Argothial@Stomphoof
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I might need to join that then. :) Look for Dispelle Leblanc. :) (Yes, I do like League, and my panther is named Elise)