test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What new CPU with a GTX 650 for Neverwinter?

ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I currently have an Athlon II X3 3.0GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, a geforce GTX 650 and I use a 1680x1050 display. I plan to upgrade all my hardware except my graphics card, hard drives and case. I plan to get a core i3 4330 (108 euros) or a core i5 4570 (158 euros).

Is it worth spending 50 euros more for the core i5 4570 considering that I keep my GTX 650?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    i5 is well worth it. Personally I would get an i7 but I wouldn't even consider an i3.

But do note that Athlon CPU's use a different socket than any of the Intel sockets. In order to switch to an until processor you absolutely will have to change your motherboard.
  • ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    Stick with i5, there are very noticable gains - especially for gaming - with i5 over i3. i7's, not so much.

Ambis is very correct, you need a new motherboard if you're switching CPU's. If you aren't planning on getting a new mobo as well, look into AMD FX series, they have pretty good CPU's for a good price, can't beat that i5 though.
  • ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ok, thanks for feedback, the general performance gap between core i5 4570 and core i3 4330 is known to me. I also realize that I need a new Mainboard (I planned to get an Asus B85M-G), just switching CPU is no option for me since my current Mainboard has an old AM2+ socket. My main concern was specifically wether my GTX 650 2GB would bottleneck the core i5 4570, and thus impair the additional investment.

I don't want to buy a new graphics card (my GTX 650 2GB is only a year old), is the core i5 4570 still worth it in this case?
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ctf4void wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for feedback, the general performance gap between core i5 4570 and core i3 4330 is known to me. I also realize that I need a new Mainboard (I planned to get an Asus B85M-G), just switching CPU is no option for me since my current Mainboard has an old AM2+ socket. My main concern was specifically wether my GTX 650 2GB would bottleneck the core i5 4570, and thus impair the additional investment.

I don't want to buy a new graphics card (my GTX 650 2GB is only a year old), is the core i5 4570 still worth it in this case?

Even a Titan cannot bottleneck a plain old i5 2500k, so of course there is no issue with newer CPUs!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    You have the issue backwards.

CPU's bottleneck GPU's.
    The better question to ask is if the i3 will bottleneck the GTX 650 thus negating the savings. The likely answer is yes.

A good GPU can only work as fast as the CPU. If you put a top end GPU into a system with an old or slower CPU it will result in a bottleneck which I bet you already have.

It can happen the other way around but it's just incredibly unlikely and even if it does it simply means your CPU isn't working as hard to keep up with demand and that makes for a better machine overall. There are three things you don't skimp on a gaming computer: The CPU, GPU, and Power Supply.

If the Power Supply runs at full capacity it will die faster and draw more power (oddly enough) than if it ran at half capacity. Plus if your power supply is not powerful enough it can destroy all of your components. Always overshoot the power requirements.

A GPU is self expanatory, the better the GPU the better you can run everything. As with the power supply the less of the processing power needed to run the longer the card will last and the more efficient and reliable the speed will be.

The ultimate key to everything is a good CPU, though. If you have top end parts in an outdated CPU it will bottleneck everything in the system. The CPU can work faster than the GPU (refer to how less usage at a time is better) but the GPU can only work as fast as the CPU. The faster the CPU the better, always, as long as it is in your budget.

And 50 dollars for the increased speed is nothing. As I said I don't even consider the i3 an option.
    It's too outdate. Too slow. Will more than likely result in a bottleneck of the GPU.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My CPU and other hardware are currently:
    • Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz
    • 4 GB RAM
    • a not-so-new video card
    • 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.

If I switch my video card to GeForce GTX 650, will I have full gaming/visual experience in this game? And if I switch to GeForce GTX 7xx?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OP, if your current computer has an AM3 CPU socket, then perhaps look into getting a Phenom II X4 - it should be relatively cheap right now, and it is actually quite a big step up from the Athlon II X3 you have now. Check your motherboard's thermal design capacity for the processor, (you can use a program like Belarc Advisor to get the motherboard model), to see which Phenom II's it can take.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited November 2013
    • 4 GB RAM

If I switch my video card to GeForce GTX 650, will I have full gaming/visual experience in this game? And if I switch to GeForce GTX 7xx?

I found an article about the performance of different Hardware when running neverwinter: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495.html

from what I can see, you won't have 'full gaming/visual' experience with a GTX 650 since your cpu is too weak. With my cpu (Ahtlon II x3 3.0GHz) I have between 9 and 19 fps in PE (1680x1050 max video settings).

Neverwinter seems to demand a strong cpu, especially with many cores. The graphics card isnt that important. But still, my fears of the GTX 650 beeing too slow for the core i5 are validated here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-6.html

Maybe I will get the core i3 4330 after all. Or I will get the core i5 4570 and overclock my graphics card.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mmos use cpu intensive graphic engines so they gain a lot more by 4 cores cpu then singleeplayer games u will be sory if u take cheaper 2 core instead of 4 core cpu http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-9.html as u can see here i5 have a lot better frames
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    • 4 GB RAM

650 ti boost should be more then enough to max it but u will need 4core cpu for this game
    edited November 2013
    ctf4voidwarpet.

So before I buy a GTX 650 or a better video card, I firstly need to get a 4 core CPU.

The scenery and objects in the screenshots of the tomshardware.com article look so detailed and high-quality. Nice.
  • vonrowvonrow Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The I3 is not worth your time. Go for at least the I5 or the I7 if your pocket can afford it. Doubling your ram from 4 to 8 gigs would be my next bit of advice. Especially if you are running Vista, W7, or god forbid -W8.

Once you have that all done, then start looking at your vid card options. You don't have to have the bleeding edge in vid cards to make NW look nice. Plenty of nice deals on "last year's" model which can still be found new at any online retailer yet.

If money is such a factor, you may want to keep to the AMD brand of CPUs & mobo. While I concede that Intel has the leg up on AMD, you can build an AMD box for a lot less than Intel would run you --and you can still have a decent gaming rig, with $$ left over to spend on goodies.
    edited December 2013
    Just want to check: With my current Dual-Core 2.93GHz CPU, will my computer being hurt if I change my video card to GTX 650 or higher?

After the adjustment of graphic settings after module 2, I had found that the visual quality of overall in-game environment becomes better, but I have also experienced more lags. I want to make it less laggy, but don't want to give up the visual quality.
    edited December 2013
    Just want to check: With my current Dual-Core 2.93GHz CPU, will my computer being hurt if I change my video card to GTX 650 or higher?

After the adjustment of graphic settings after module 2, I had found that the visual quality of overall in-game environment becomes better, but I have also experienced more lags. I want to make it less laggy, but don't want to give up the visual quality.

Changing the video card will not "hurt" your computer - as long as the motherboard has the appropriate slot, and your power supply is sufficient to power it, you should be fine. That being said, keep in mind that NW is a more processor intensive game than many others, so you may not see as big an improvement in performance as you'd like. It may be more worth your while to get more or faster RAM, or perhaps even to invest in an SSD instead.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Changing the video card will not "hurt" your computer - as long as the motherboard has the appropriate slot, and your power supply is sufficient to power it, you should be fine. That being said, keep in mind that NW is a more processor intensive game than many others, so you may not see as big an improvement in performance as you'd like. It may be more worth your while to get more or faster RAM, or perhaps even to invest in an SSD instead.
    Could you explain why there won't be a big improvement? Since GTX 650 was mentioned in a promotion, it is supposed to work well for this game (I guess so). Btw, my video card is currently GT 630.

And thanks for the info about SSD. I had never heard about that before. I will go to figure it out.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On Black Friday I bought a new system from an Altex store. While the system didn't come with a discrete video card, the onboard graphics have allowed me to play several games at or very near max settings with no issues. I do plan on getting a good video card before my birthday next month, though. w

<< link removed - please list stats instead >>

I currently play regularly STO and Neverwinter, but I also will occasionally log on to SWTOR. I am going to install Vanguard and see how it does, as it always played choppy on my old system. Now I know this isn't a top end system, but it does what I need it to do far better than my five year old system with a budget graphics card on it.
    eqDaIYP.png

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For gaming i'd say i5 is the best bet. The extra cores of the i7 usually don't give you as much performance gain as the higher clock rate i5 for the same money in games. TBH i would avoid the i7 unless you do specific tasks that can effectively use the extra cores (ie rendering, packing etc).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I got a 2.66ghz i7 Quadcore and it smokes. Get the i7..
    edited December 2013
    Hey all, OP here. I have new hardware now, specifically I upgraded:

Athlon II X3 3.0GHz ---> Intel core i5 4570
    4GB DDR2 800MHz ---> 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    AMD 770 Mainboard ---> Intel B85 Mainboard
    (I kept my GTX 650 2GB graphics card)

I run Neverwinter at 1680x1050 with render scale and graphics both slided to the far right. Also I play with /gfxsetdefaultfov 65 (gfxsetdefaultfov can severly impact fps). Previously I had about 8-18fps in protector's enclave, now I have at least 26fps in PE.

Conclusion: It was a good upgrade. Don't get a core i3, Neverwinter likes a strong cpu with cores, the graphics card is not that important, but shouldn't be weaker than a GTX 650 either.
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since 2010, I have been gaming on a core i3 with 4GB ram.

In many areas of Neverwinter, my fps can be 60 or higher. In crowded places such as Protector's Enclave, Dread Ring, and in Sharandar, fps will go below 60.
    In dungeons, fps is often above 60. some fps decrease in big battles, especially with ice.

In Protector's Enclave, fps can be as low as 15-25.
    I am sure that core i5 and i7 users also experience low fps in crowded places such as Protector's Enclave.

Summary: Neverwinter runs adequate on a core i3, except for Protector's Enclave and a few very crowded areas.
    edited December 2013
    Could you explain why there won't be a big improvement? Since GTX 650 was mentioned in a promotion, it is supposed to work well for this game (I guess so). Btw, my video card is currently GT 630.

And thanks for the info about SSD. I had never heard about that before. I will go to figure it out.

Think of your computer as a roadway. Let's say you have some beefy high-end video card, but only a mediocre CPU. It doesn't matter that there's this 6-lane super highway way down the road, if the very beginning of your journey is a single lane dirt road... the end result will be a longer journey.

Cryptic's games, from City of Heroes, or Champions Online, to Neverwinter, have always been very processor intensive. Yeah, the 650 is better than the 630 you have now, but if things are getting bogged down in your CPU or because you have a slow HDD or RAM, then the best graphics card in the world isn't going to help much.

Now, everybody has their own opinion when it comes to how best to upgrade. In my opinion, and with how prices on hardware keep dropping, looking into maxing out both he speed and capacity of your RAM, and possibly installing an SSD, may produce a better performance increase for the money spent.

Again, that's just my opinion.

As for the Nvidia 650 promotion - you have to take it with a grain of salt - Nvidia wants to sell graphics cards, so they make deals to promote them. You also have to look at things relative to one-another. The 650 Ti Boost is quite a bit more powerful than the stock 650, so there's also that.

I am going to probably upgrade my video card soon, but here are my specs for comparison:

Athlon FX-6300 6-core processor running at 3.5Ghz per core
    16 GD DDR3 RAM
    Factory-overclocked GTX 460
    I'm using a regular HDD right now, but that's mainly because I don't wanna have to re-setup Windows right now...

Here's a Passmark G3D rating of my card and the 650's (from http://videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php):
    GeForce GTX 460 2666
    GeForce GTX 650 1825
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2696
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 3581

You'll notice that only the 650 Ti Boost is significantly higher than the GTX 460 I have, and it's supposedly 2 generations higher...

Here's a few others for reference as well:
    GeForce GTX 480 4357
    GeForce GTX 570 4391

With Nvidia cards, the last 2 digits are more important in indicating the performance than the 1st one. Essentially, anything ending in "60" or higher is a performance card, those lower than "50" are budget, and "50" is right smack dab in the middle somewhere...
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is my core i3 cpu usage while riding around the main camp in the Dread Ring.
    core_i3_usage_NW_dread_ring_main_camp.jpg

Approx 50% cpu usage on each thread shows that Neverwinter only uses approximately 2-3 cores (at the same time).

core i3 cpu usage in Protector's Enclave.
    core_i3_usage_NW_protectors_enclave.jpg

Average cpu usage is slightly more than 50% which again indicates that Neverwinter only uses 2-3 cores (at the same time).
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike and all others who provide informative data.
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am currently using an I5 with a GT 640 1gb card and the game runs so much better than my AMD quad core 4.1ghz system with the same card. I am very happy with the I5 and especially with the placeholder card I bought at best buy for 70 USD. I'm planning to SLI 2 gtx 650 ti boosts soon but needed something cheep In the interim. The gt 640 1gb is a very cheep solution and plays never winter very well.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• demauldemaul Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The difference between an i5 and an i7 proc isn't the cores (both have a few core options) but the L3 cache. 6mb vs 8mb. It doesn't seem like much but the difference is the i7's are around 10% faster same clock speed, same core count. There is a reason why most boutique computer builders choose i7's for their gaming rigs. i3's and i5's are good for home a business pc's.