test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats up with GFs not marking???

valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I run a GF as my main, but have one of each class thats level 60. I am usually top damage dealt and taken. I have noticed alot of GFs dont mark enemies or even try to tank. They end up doing very little damage either because they are not drawing enemies towards themselves. These are lvl 60 GFs.
Post edited by valetudo78 on

Comments

• Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    valetudo78 wrote: »
    I run a GF as my main, but have one of each class thats level 60. I am usually top damage dealt and taken. I have noticed alot of GFs dont mark enemies or even try to tank. They end up doing very little damage either because they are not drawing enemies towards themselves. These are lvl 60 GFs.

The "Mark" ability only allows (1) target to be marked and if hit the mark goes away.

Threatening Rush does an AoE Mark but you need the mobs bunched up.

Enforced Threat also does an AoE Mark but it's got a semi-long cool down.

So GF's might be marking targets but they won't be sitting there just marking targets doing no dmg.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Trust me they are not doing any of those in fact they are using powers that are better suited for pvp. I just got done with a CTA and where I got first in damage with 2.4 million while the other 2GFs got last and second last with around 650k. I know its just a skirmish but Ive noticed it in dungeons too.
  • Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2013
    for weak mobs its better to just attack than use mark bec they die fast
    but for strong mobs with high HP they should always mark it for bonus team damage
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not sure what the fuss is about.

If you slot Threatening Rush, that should be your normal gap closer most of the time so you do not waste LS, with Mark for long range pulls of standalone groups. So, you will be naturally spamming marks anyway. If you are walking around during combat as a GF, assuming you're not kiting, you're probably doing something very wrong.

For single elite targets, they should almost never land a hit on you, so maintaining a high uptime for the Mark should take no time at all from your dps.

It is worth noting that not many GFs are either good at the class nor use it much for PvE. That combination is in stark contrast to all the other classes. I've long given up any expectations to meet decent GFs when I'm on my other alts. When you do meet one, of course, its a pleasure and you note their names and playstyles...
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wait, what? GF are supposed to be tanks? Well this is news to me, I thought they were just really bad DPS.

All joking aside, it is very rare nowadays to find a GF that understands what "tanking" means. It's also worth noting that most of the other classes aren't too much better in terms of playing their intended roles. It seems all most player care about is being #1 in the damage chart and getting the best drops.....never mind how many times they need to crawl over the bodies of their team mates to get there.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    snotty wrote: »
    wait, what? GF are supposed to be tanks? Well this is news to me, I thought they were just really bad DPS.

All joking aside, it is very rare nowadays to find a GF that understands what "tanking" means. It's also worth noting that most of the other classes aren't too much better in terms of playing their intended roles. It seems all most player care about is being #1 in the damage chart and getting the best drops.....never mind how many times they need to crawl over the bodies of their team mates to get there.

Roles and dps are not mutually exclusive. With some minor exceptions, most notable being pure healbot spec DCs (*spit*), if you're doing your role correctly, you will be able make a respectable dps contribution. This is very different from traditional MMORPGs and that can confuse some people. Don't add to the confusion! :)