test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discussion - Cleric pvp killer?

grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2013 in The Temple
Hey guys, whatsup?

I want to start a discussion here, as the title shows.

Anyone of my fellow brothers in faith here had any success trying to build a killer cleric in pvp? I mean a cleric that can really build a very good damage and CC, even in the end beeing a glass cannon?

If yes, can you share the build and gear?

Cheers from Tempus!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by grungebrmpk on

Comments

• jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Pick any race but rmb roll 16 str, items follow crit > pow/rec.
    Chains> daunting light then repeat if u slotted sunburst, use divine glow at lvl 45.
    Keep divine power and spam it when ur target < 5% hp.
    Use GoF if target keeps run here and thr.
    Use FS if all of them gather together and u are 99.99% sure u will hit all of them.
    Never battle on node, a lot of kills is ok to keep u on top of chart (tower killer, defender etc)
    Always stay at top of pillar, bridge and apply dot at will on all ppl then followed by spamming ur highest atk at will.

Enjoy till lvl 49... lvl 50 onwards is a new world.
    Stop playing as GCC (glass cannon cleric) after u hit lvl 50, your damage is lower than a dedicated healer's AS + HG

By Elf@jazzfong, the glass cannon cleric.
  • grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Hey jazz, ty for replying.

So in your experience, there is no way to build a dps cleric post lvl 50? Even glass cannon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?399611-GCTRL-s-DPS-Burst-Cleric

With all credit to the guy who wrote the guide.

It's an amazing output, aoe or single target. You are a CW in damage but also get hit like a clothie.

It works well. I have used it successfully and would be able to burn down multiple people who were trying to kill me. It takes skill to keep alive though. I've also died. a lot. when using it. so your milage may vary.
  • grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Hey shadow, ty! I will look at it and tell me thoughts! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Nice guida, as usual from Gctrl!
    I really found what I was looking for!

Now my thougths: I'm trying to make a hybrid cleric, that can support a team and at the same time make considerable damage to get some frags (I'm not looking to reach top kills in a match).

Im' trying to make a mix of the sentinel build with a dps one, that why I ask for this.

I'm thinking in testing a build with critical, deflect, defense and power... or maybe armor pen in the place of power...

I used this build as reference to make a hybrid cleric:

http://mmominds.com/2013/08/19/the-original-virtuous-cleric-dpshybrid-build-by-wintersmercy/

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the help!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nice guida, as usual from Gctrl!
    I really found what I was looking for!

Now my thougths: I'm trying to make a hybrid cleric, that can support a team and at the same time make considerable damage to get some frags (I'm not looking to reach top kills in a match).

Im' trying to make a mix of the sentinel build with a dps one, that why I ask for this.

I'm thinking in testing a build with critical, deflect, defense and power... or maybe armor pen in the place of power...

I used this build as reference to make a hybrid cleric:

http://mmominds.com/2013/08/19/the-original-virtuous-cleric-dpshybrid-build-by-wintersmercy/

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the help!

Hello. I have good success with Gctrl's sentinel cleric build for this purpose. I have the suggested ability score setup of that build, and the majority of the feats. However as I want the capacity to do a little more DPS at the cost of some survivability i've slotted for critical in offense slots instead of recovery. Zero armpen (due to historical problems with this stat and DC powers). The usual deflection, defense, regen +HP priorities for everything else.

Bronzewood on weapon. Slot terrifying insight passive (and foresight). Then healing word, astral shield, and break the spirit for encounters. Astral seal and brand of the sun for at-wills. Flamestrike and divine armor for daily.

So this looks like low dps right? It is. Stacking critical (i'm only using 5s/6s at the moment) helps. And you can still kill people - and those people are often surprised to the point of outraged and obscene tells regarding your parentage, your sexual identity, and what you like to do with your pets and family - often all at once.

Break the spirit, brand of the sun, astral seal. Bread and butter rotation that if you can pop it on someone they now are dotted, doing less damage, taking more damage, and healing you a little (very little). You are also building divinity. healing word & astral shield to keep you alive as required (healing word should be ticking constantly). Divine armor or flamestrike ? - are you going to die or are they close to doing so? Then it's just a matter of repeating this a few times - like a glacier rubbing away a valley floor. At some point they will have lowish health & 2 dots ticking on them at the same time - that's when you go hell for leather and punishing light them in the face. That combo is your dps peak.

Fun for 1 v 1. You can kill, in order of ease - cw, tr, gf, gwf, dc. But you can only kill gwf & dc with builds that are completely unsuited for pvp or that plain cannot play. And there will be high-end trs (often impact shot based ones) who don't even need a daily to kill you, and good cws that you don't have much chance against. Even when you are as good at dodging and positioning as you're ever going to get. Also fun for group because you still have a lot of utility with heals & mitigation. I haven't noticed the recovery loss much, value the extra crit more. And if you try to stack on more crit/power by de-prioritizing the deflect/def/regen/hp side of things then that would be a different approach and i'm not sure how that plays out.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I look forward to seeing your further input on this situation. Personally, I slot AS for the defense aspect, holy ground to aid with that as well. if I'm going AoE, then it's glowing light + daunting light. With both in divinity mode, they both hit HARD. Add in astral seal and brand of the sun, it allows 2 dots + a hard punch in daunting light. That requires you being able to target though. If you run the dot route, then forgemaster flame + break spirit + brand of the sun can get 3 ticking on them. You still have AS for heals and if spec'd right, you get divinity for encounters coming off cool down. It builds fast, so always have a d-AS.

I've found in general that healing word is weak in pvp. it's a HoT and pvp is about burst. It's not really mitigation. If I go more towards a defense than offense, I'll grab FF, sunburst and AS. That usually gets me to be the main target of their entire team. Fun stuff.. but painful. Anyways, let me know what you think of the mix up on skills?
  • gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing your further input on this situation. Personally, I slot AS for the defense aspect, holy ground to aid with that as well. if I'm going AoE, then it's glowing light + daunting light. With both in divinity mode, they both hit HARD. Add in astral seal and brand of the sun, it allows 2 dots + a hard punch in daunting light. That requires you being able to target though. If you run the dot route, then forgemaster flame + break spirit + brand of the sun can get 3 ticking on them. You still have AS for heals and if spec'd right, you get divinity for encounters coming off cool down. It builds fast, so always have a d-AS.

I've found in general that healing word is weak in pvp. it's a HoT and pvp is about burst. It's not really mitigation. If I go more towards a defense than offense, I'll grab FF, sunburst and AS. That usually gets me to be the main target of their entire team. Fun stuff.. but painful. Anyways, let me know what you think of the mix up on skills?

I've tried a similar build specced into virtuous (instead of righteous currently) for the daunting light power up. Super fun - and feels more involving with the targeting requirements - particularly if you're trying to pull off divine glow & daunting light doubles. But the reduction in ability to contest a busy point or survive the first round of pain from any of an impact shot tr, bum-rush gf or good cw was too much for my liking. If you like pillar work or bombing from off the cap then more suitable. But if i'm not on the cap point or rushing one I feel like I'm not doing my job.

I respect your rationale - but I love healing word in pvp. You have the capacity to do divine healing word, healing word, then soothing light. You can save someone on very low health, being focused by more than one player with that combo. You can also have a hot ticking next to your regen on an almost permanent basis - and you can't be bumped out of your healing word. it's also great for health top-ups in between engagements for your team - not everyone has regen and/or uses pvp pots. It's a quick cast. And there's no other way to heal widely split party members - beyond even HG coverage. But sure - if dps is prioritized I can see something like FF or a straight nuke being more useful. There are so many ways to have fun with this class (and also - honestly - to get frustrated with this class :))

And whatever build you make - it'll take a lot of effort to make it useless in pve. Any old build with a sensible encounter & passive setup can heal an average party, and not even a pve ubercleric can drag a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> one through any challenging T2 segments.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While not very compettive games(GG matches are rarely competitive), here's a couple of screens from GG with my DC, which is a slighty modified version of GCTRL's Burst build.

ifjqSRU.jpg

Additionally, the burst DC is always a fun one of bring out if a player on your own side trash talks and accuses you of being a terrible player. Queue for a Premade vs them, 1v1 them and watch them melt in 3 encounters. If you aren't stacking 3k+ defense and at least 1k deflect, a burst cleric encounter rotation is lethal. Sadly, you still don't do enough burst to down a Sentinel Cleric and fighter's pose the usual issues. I won't say it's a build that is suitable for proper high end PvP, but it is a lot of fun to mess around with in PUGs.

My DC isn't even particularly well geared, R5 enchants, GG weapon and offhand, 2/2 Divine Emissary and Grand Templar. The only costly thing he uses is a G.Vorpal in the main hand.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited November 2013
    Hey jazz, ty for replying.

So in your experience, there is no way to build a dps cleric post lvl 50? Even glass cannon?

Yup, it is not surprised unless u are really well-geared. As a GCC i always target opposite cleric first, but when i met a dual cleric pt, and they spec for faithful and righteous, it took me around 3 minutes to burst down one of them inside of battle. The very annoying part is when u burst them with 3 of your skills,they will go back to full health if u change ur target for 10 seconds. And if u attack from top, don't forget u are a GCC, "glass", they will aim you with clerics, cw, and "stealth-flying" rogues. I can 1v1 a pro CW but failed to any healer or tank cleric in his AS, unless i got my daily then there is a small chance to kill if all of them crits. If i slot sunburst, then maybe i wont die but i cant kill so easy anymore.

In PvP, cw are more squisher than cleric no matter healer, tank or dps. Left cw to your rogues, assault their cleric to win. It is cleric battle.

Oh ya, give me 1 minute more I can kill a rogue, but on the other hand, give a high crit rogue about 3 secs can kill me with their daily and powers. Damm pain...
    edited November 2013
    Hm I can feel your pain.
    It seems like clerics are desgined for beeing just support classes in pvp :(

But pvp rewards killers :/

But well, yesterday I tried a mix of the 2 builds, and my first impression was good. Need to test it much more tough.
    But my first tryies, I get exactly what I wanted, middle score. I was able to support the team (when it was not solo players that go afront alone, die and yell to you that you don't heal them lol), and make considerable damage to even stand at the 2 and 3 fraggers of my team. I will test it more, and if this continue on this pattern, I will share the build with you guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    They wont yell at u for heals, if and only if u kill more than a rogue. Never battle on any node, clear all enemies from top then only jump in when ur allies capture it above 70%, then run back to top. Glass means glass, i just realized that I failed to 1v1 a pro cw, sorry for misleading u. I met a cw that cc me to death, and he got very high damage, but GCC is easy and fun, enjoy
    edited November 2013
    They yell for heals, but they are so solo players that they even notice who is near them or not, or they are so selfish that thinks all the team need to follow them, even with them not sharing their strategies.

I hardly fight on a node, only when I'm alone with divinity to give them a divine sunburst :)

But the thing on my build is that even with I been able to frag in a good pace, I'm not glass cannon at all. In fact, I'm lasting much more now in 1x2 and 1x3 then before. I'm trying to get high defense and a good deflect rate, as with critical and power to be able to dps meaningfuly.

I will test it more tonight :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Well, last night I was able to make just one pvp match, but it was very interesting. For luck I enter a balanced match (at the first 5 minutes, before the quitters do their beautiful job :/).

So, both teams arrive to tower 2 at the same time, and the carnage begins. The first death takes some time do happen, but it happen and by me lol. There are 2 DC's at the other team, so it was really hard to kill them. But with luck, I was able to cast a critical divinity daunting light, that hurted a lot! It hits 3 of them (11k dmg), leaving one almost dead, and making the other 2 fallback a little. The dps of my team were playing very nice, they go for the other and left the almost dead for me to kill with a lance of faith :P

So this go on for more 4 minutes, good fights here and there, and I had a LOT of fun. Them we opened some score advantage (like 180 - 120), and 2 very nice guys of the other team quit...

Result: I finish the match in 3rd place, with 4 kills, 0 deaths and 16 assists. First was a CW and second a rogue. It was absolutely what I was aiming for my build, and this is the 3rd match in a row that I reach what I want (this beeing the best match of the 3, and the best score I get).

So I really think this kind of hybrid really works well in pvp, clerics arent just tankers and supporters :D

I'm not totally convinced yet, so I want to make more matches. I'm only 10.120 GS, so I want to test my build with ubber gear players and see how I go. But in this case, if I cant get oneshotted anymore by an ubber rogue, or rapped by a CW/GF, I will be very happy!

I'm very sorry cause I was not able to take the screen shot from this match, I need to download fraps :/ but fellow DC killers, there is hope yet! lol

Cheers guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffro9000jeffro9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I have not tested it, but I am interested in the combination of High Prophet set and Feytouched enchant. I have seen DC's wearing this with regen items in accessory slots. That would be a pretty cost efficient set up and it looks good on paper at least.

Anybody have experience with these?
    Jeffro, DC
    Jeffrina Jones, GWF
    Jeffrodo, CW
    Jeffrogue, Rog
    Jelfro, GF
    Jeffrogolas Do'Urden, HR
    Jeffrodo Jaggins, SW
    edited November 2013
    Hey jeffro,

If you're aiming to rock a t1 set in pvp, consider using the divine emissary set.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wbfoley100wbfoley100 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When I pvp on my cleric for the daily AD, I go for damage. My feats are not geared for me(I'm mainly the middle tier feat), but I've been the top of quite a few pug matches. My gear is decent I suppose, but nothing crazy. I run with around 1400 arpen with decent power/crit. I also use high prophet set, which is a must. I usually run FF/BtS/PoD as my encounters with BoS/LoF as my at wills. I usually lead with BoS, then dump all my encounters and finish them off with punishing light. Punishing light is flat out awesome for damage and it is rather difficult for someone to avoid the damage. It just melts targets down quickly after being debuffed. I think with the most recent changes, it takes quite awhile to run out of divinity with it.

It is a nice change of pace compared to just healing all the time. I enjoy it quite a bit.
    edited November 2013
    Hey wbfoley100 , do you really think that arpen works for clerics? My tests make me think that it's almost useless!

Nice rotation man, have you tried replacing BtS for Divine Glow?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wbfoley100wbfoley100 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I saw most of the tests that it doesn't do much for us. I made up my gear well before those tests came about and haven't bothered messing with it because all I use it for is a little pvp/pve farming. Like gctrl states in his damage build, you can go for AE attacks(chains, DG, and DL) or you can go single target we the three I listed. It is easier to hit with those as they follow your target. BtS can be rather handy with a well timed stun as well.