test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lvl 50 about the end for solo playing?

damsel1988damsel1988 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I thoroughly enjoyed the game so far and my three main chars are all lvl 50 now. (Cleric, Wizard and Rogue). However, the last three bosses were impossible to do solo, even with companion who was dead in the first three seconds.

The bosses usually have a lot of fire or similar circles all over the place, too many to count, plus a multitude of adds. So as a single person the boss is really impossible to master. Up to now I could just skip that boss and go on with the game.
However, now I came to the Chasm and the first boss there, a fire guy, I simply could not do. Unfortunately this is where it seems to end because there are simply no other quests.

I tried hanging around and perhaps doing dailies to get my points up but the quest queues are hopless too, you stand for hours and not takers.

Am I the only one with these problems or are there many people so 'ueber' that they can master those bosses with their little finger?

Or are others that feel this way already gone and playing something else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wow, um...

Sounds, more like you skipped a zone or something, if there are no more quests available to do. Here is a list of zones in order of level: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Adventure_zone. Are you sure you did not go to Mount Hotenow before completing lower level zones?

There is no questing instance in this game that cannot be soloed on any class, even without the use of a Companion. A couple of the true final questing instances in the Mount Hotenow and Whispering Caverns zones can be quite difficult, but only for the Cleric class who has to tank the damage (when they are not really tanky at all), have virtually no CC, no ability to escape, and typically not geared for damage.

So, to answer your question, players do not often encounter the problems you are describing and normally find levelling to 60 quite easy and fast in this game compared to other MMOs.

Tips:
    - make sure to queue up for Skirmishes, even if you do not need them, since they are readily accessible XP and if you do them during Skirmish hour, you get extra rewards. You also effectively lose access to them permanently once you level past them.
    - if you really are having difficulty finding quests or levelling between zones, then try using Foundry during Foundry hour which gives high XP.
    - you can get some very cheap gear from the Auction House (3rd icon from the right at the top, I believe. Click through "Find Similar"). Particularly useful and cheap gear are the "... Of the Youth" Regeneration-heavy gear. That helps keep your HP topped up, saving your potions for true emergencies.
    - related to the above, it is important to always have the maximum weapon damage at every other level. Do not use a weapon 10-20 levels behind. This is the one thing that makes the single biggest difference! You can ignore everything else, including gear purchases, enchants and companions, but keep your weapon up to date.
    - every class plays very differently. Some would even say you would have been better off to level just one class to 60 first, before touching others. For example, on your TR, it pays to not rely at all on combat companions during combat above level 30, since they interfere with the most effective TR tactics. Read forum guides about how to play each class. Every class has their own sub-forum and often have detailed guides or you can ask specific questions there.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    damsel1988 wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game so far and my three main chars are all lvl 50 now. (Cleric, Wizard and Rogue). However, the last three bosses were impossible to do solo, even with companion who was dead in the first three seconds.

The bosses usually have a lot of fire or similar circles all over the place, too many to count, plus a multitude of adds. So as a single person the boss is really impossible to master. Up to now I could just skip that boss and go on with the game.
    However, now I came to the Chasm and the first boss there, a fire guy, I simply could not do. Unfortunately this is where it seems to end because there are simply no other quests.

I tried hanging around and perhaps doing dailies to get my points up but the quest queues are hopless too, you stand for hours and not takers.

Am I the only one with these problems or are there many people so 'ueber' that they can master those bosses with their little finger?

Or are others that feel this way already gone and playing something else?

I can't say I've had this problem for most of the characters I've played. However, some of my characters have been more challenging to level than others. As mentioned by fondelz, clerics can be a bit of a bother to level at times when going solo.

Edit:
    I see all your guys are pretty soft in the hit points department. Maybe it is a durability issue, where they go down before you can get anything going. If the suggestions fondelz gave you don't help you out, perhaps I can have one of my characters lend you a hand if you'd like.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you are having trouble with regular content, you can also try Foundry quests -- there are no over-the-top bosses in there and you can get decent experience.

I leveled to 60 as a Control Wizard, but I don't think I've done any dungeons, only skirmishes, and call-to-arms events. Otherwise I think I just wandered around zones and picked fights with the local mobs.
  • damsel1988damsel1988 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I did not skip any areas at all, and in fact any game I always make a point of doing every single quest.
    I am not stingy with fitting my chars out as good as possible and have spent more on this game than on any other game actually, and I really don't have much money!

Yes the last quest I tried was int he Chasm and it was with my Cleric. I'll give it another try with my Rogue and see how I go.
    edited November 2013
    The Rogue may fare better, with the higher damage output. I'm not all that fond of that boss myself, with all the annoying circles. You will find that the use of such things is pretty high in some areas of the game. The volcanic area has a lot of knockdown going on. It would be wise to work on your dodging skills so you can avoid circles pretty well by the time you get there.

What pet(s) do you have, if you don't mind me asking.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Somebody or other the Firestarter. I always just call him Trogdar. His ability to teleport, combined with all the plaguefire on the ground can be pretty annoying. Plus there's a bug where he can teleport into a niche in the wall, still able to attack you but he become untargetable. The key thing to remember in most of the solo boss fights is to kill the adds when they spawn, then go back to the boss. The adds will go down quicker and cut down on the amount of damage you're taking.

I definitely agree with fondlez about gearing up using the AH. I usually replace everything regularly, if I haven't found something in loot, then buying green items on the AH is dirt cheap. Rings in particular can be difficult to upgrade using found items. It's also great for tailoring your stats. A lot of people will say that your stats don't matter as you level up but sometimes you really need an edge. Look at blue items too. Sometimes you can find them cheap. Getting a blue weapon is a great investment as you'll be doing more damage than anything you find for at least 5 levels. That makes them worth enchanting as well.

Also, if are aren't intent on soloing the game, use zone chat to find a partner for the dungeon instances. It's usually not too hard to find people to run with and when you get to Mt. Hotenow and Whispering Caverns, the dungeons are pretty obnoxious.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A LOT of the high end solo content is rather challenging. The dwarven race fight in WC, my cleric simply could not do at all, for example, and my rogue had a heck of a time with the braindog pack for the quests to assist that trapped drow before going to the final instance in that zone. There were other tough fights too -- too many to list.

But eventually I beat most of the fights solo. Some took 3-4 deaths to do it. My cleric ended up in a duo a lot though, its damage is weak and its self-healing is weak, a bad combination for solo.

The best advice I have to offer is to try different things or ask about a specific fight with a specific class for ideas. Gear matters too -- besides the golden dps trio of armor pen, crit, and power, you also need life steal or regen or deflect or the like. A healing companion can help if you can keep it alive, or a really tough tank pet (difficult to make, though, most die in seconds to these fights). Timing / skill is also critical -- getting out of special attacks, running away until you can take a potion or your encounters cool down, coordinating your skills to keep it stunned or whatever, all that stuff is really important now. As you allocate your skill tree, put 2 points in things you do not use but "might be handy sometimes". Some fights that are really hard suddenly become much easier by swapping out a few skills!

It may also take dying a few times to determine whether the boss or the adds are the most dangerous. Sometimes, the adds are far, far more dangerous, other times, the boss is deadly. Most of the time, the last wave of adds has something awful that needs to die right away. Also, pace yourself, using your daily aoe bomb to one shot the peons in the first wave can leave you with nothing when the ubergoons come out in the third wave....!

I have beaten everything that is soloable with a character (TR and GWF) in blue gear. Its GOOD blue gear, but you don't have to be carried thru groups to get purples to do solo content.
    edited November 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    As you allocate your skill tree, put 2 points in things you do not use but "might be handy sometimes". Some fights that are really hard suddenly become much easier by swapping out a few skills!

A lot of powers can have just 1 point assigned as well if they are particularly situational, especially those that only boost damage for each extra point, since you wouldn't be using those skills anyway except for those particular situations.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    damsel1988 wrote: »

Master your dodge/teleport. CW and TR require it. They are to flimsy to take many hits. Don't be afraid to move it to another key if you have to. (Personally I just can't use the shift key for some reason.) Practice it if you need to. Whatever it takes, if you can't dodge you can't live.

Check out your builds on the preview server. On the preview server you have unlimited respecs. You can check out which builds you like. Reading up on the forums about the popular builds is good too. Just remember that the players there are talking about group builds. But that doesn't stop you from taking the concept and making it your own. This post here tells how to get onto preview. Remember though, that things might be different since they are testing module 2.

Save up your AD if you can. Once you hit 60 you should stop and buy some level 60 gear. There are cheap 60 purples on the AH. Start off with your weapons. Then whatever seems reasonable. Don't go for the best, at first. Unless you're loaded you won't have enough to really deck yourself out that way. This gear will make all the difference. It will help you farm stuff like foundry quests and finish your solo questline.

It may get harder before it gets easier. To me, the hardest area was Whispering Caverns. The mindflayer area was killer the first time I run it. I will say though, that the new areas after it (Sharandar) seemed much easier. And its those that you'll be spending most of your time in once you push through the hard stuff.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    to add to runebane's post, while module 2 is being tested on the regular preview shard, the owlbear shard is up for testing of the most current patch. you can copy your characters over to either test shard.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, skills that go "+10% damage" per additional point are only worth it if you're really going to use that skill a lot (or you honestly have nothing better to spend your points on), since each extra point is literally only a 10% boost (more accurately, 10% and 9%). Compare to skills that say something like "5% more healing" and then "+5% per extra point" are really worth investing in, since each extra point is a 100% boost (again, more accurately, 100% and 50%).

That aside, all solo dungeons are managable solo, even with a cleric: the trick to solo cleric stuff (early on, before you're all purps) is to decide whether to go for maximum speed and concomitant risk (damage encounters, use pots/healpet to stay alive) or minimum speed but near-zero risk (mostly heal encounters, kill stuff with sacred flame spam). The latter is tedious but much less nerve-wracking.

Also, learn to dodge. Learn to spot the one tiny speck of floor not covered in red and gauge exactly how to get there.

Petwise, if you don't have a stone, get a tanky pet (cheapo 2gp tankmaaaan is fine): he can actually grab aggro. Yes, he'll die, but he'll buy you a few seconds of breathing space, and that's a few seconds more than most of the other companions will.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    That aside, all solo dungeons are managable solo, even with a cleric: the trick to solo cleric stuff (early on, before you're all purps) is to decide whether to go for maximum speed and concomitant risk (damage encounters, use pots/healpet to stay alive) or minimum speed but near-zero risk (mostly heal encounters, kill stuff with sacred flame spam). The latter is tedious but much less nerve-wracking.

This is very true. I leveled a DC to 60 to test the difficulty of my foundry quests for that class. I found that I could go all DPS, but wound up using more potions than my other characters. Took me a while to find a good balance between the dps and healing powers that I liked.

By the way, I don't recommend my foundry quests to anyone running solo if they are having trouble. I designed them to be challenging.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    It sounds also to me that the OP is entering certain end of zone group dungeons solo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    This damsel is in distress!

lol

Seriously though, I didn't seem to have that problem with my CW and TR (and definitely not with the GF), but I've heard this from several friends as well. Questing is SO much easier with a friend. I wouldn't turn to the AH, I'd find someone to run with. If you need a hand in game, let me know. @twstdecho
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ah is a good option if you pvp from time to time, full upgrade in greens costs about 1~2k ad, thats one quest, and you arent a moron who gets oneshot and drags down his team by having gear outdated by 20 lvls

• banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cw arent op, cw are broken op, though in pve not pvp, i know, i play one :P

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The whole of the campaign system is soloable, although the last boss in hotenow can be challenging. I do recommend getting into partys in future though. I wasnt sure about the party option when I started out but had to for dungeons and it went quite well, then I joined a guild which I didn't think I would until the gauntlegrym requirement, the first one died quickly but I'm now in a really good one that I like, although pugs don't seem as good anymore :P.
  • devilshcooldevilshcool Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    Lvl 50+ contents r hard. Try to shout out in chat to LFG, doing it with 2 person party is much easier for first timer. After u completed all the quests. U can try solo it with your other characters.

If u must solo it, get Health stone, which will recharge your life to full, and scroll life to bring u back from death instantly. And potion that will buff u for 30 mins like "summer feast"

At final boss in dungeon, it's always better to lure the boss away from final area, as that area is designed to the advantage of boss. Plus ads sometimes spawn in the final area only, so u have less to handle. Always do hit and run, never sit in a spot for too long, running around will let your encounters time and potions time to cool down. Eventually, u will outlast the boss. And most importantly, Have Fun! :)
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I find the OP kind of shocking as I have a really hard time staying at or below the appropriate levels for the adventuring areas. Dungeon Delves, Skirmishes, PVP, as close to 3x daily as I can + praying and I usually don't even finish an area. I guess I am saving it for later (other classes, keeping the game fresh so on). If you are at the appropriate level for an area, you should have no real problem though some of the bosses will be a challenge to solo.

Make sure your gear score is good. Follow a build. Have a general theme or goal for your build/gear set-up/playstyle. These three should stack together make most solo content fear your approach. IMO that is one of the most fun parts of the game for me. If your having problems with your current method, use one that is easy for your class (eg. a quick, stealthy tr). Also, if the default keybinds don't work for you, try switching them around- I like my primary defense at-will to be on my right mouse button and my secondary offense at-will to be on the shift key. It just flows with my reflexes while playing so much better and has made it easy to be moving all over the place really quick at will, or to be in guard, or even moving around in-guard, quickly and fluidly.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF