test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

For the love of god, please move the Waukeen event vendor!

rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Putting it in the Moonstone Mask was a horrible, HORRIBLE idea.

For one, a lot of people actually RP in there - which is pretty much entirely impossible now with 80-100 people packed in it.

For two, even though the Mask IS generating new instances with that many people, it's still way too many people for such a small space. The people are piled on top of each other, cramming the hallway and stairway wall-to-wall. The Vendor isn't even visible with all the people crowded around it.

For three, there is an NPC in PE for the event anyway! What in the world was the point of putting the NPC in PE, having it not sell things, and a portal that goes to the Mask right next to it?! Why can't that NPC be the vendor?

Seriously, whose idea was this?

I am under the impression that since there is a 'known issue' with the event drop rate, there will be a quick patch to fix it. Please, during that, move the vendor out of the Moonstone Mask. This is ridiculous.
Post edited by rhoriangelus on

Comments

• runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Putting it in the Moonstone Mask was a horrible, HORRIBLE idea.

For one, a lot of people actually RP in there - which is pretty much entirely impossible now with 80-100 people packed in it.

Its kind of funny actually. A week ago people were talking about how many people weren't RPing there anymore and it was empty. It does look a bit crowded in there though. Well, crowded like a seen out of World War Z... with so many people climbing on top of each other the way those zombies climbed walls. I'd think it would calm down once everyone has had a look at the vendors though.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When they told there was going to be something in the Moonstone mask, lots of people were happy because it's usually so empty. Even more, many people don't even know it exists.
    The event just last a few days and then it'll go back to normal.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hate to say it, but I have to agree -- there are so many people in the Mask now that my laptop (which normally has no problems) can't even render everyone, and it's so crowded you can't see anything. If not moving the vendor, it would at least be good if the instance cap could be halved so that each instance would be less crowded.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, my attempt to go in there and see it was . . . not successful. Too many people crowded in too small a space.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree it is ridiculous... And for it now being 'happily full' instead of 'RP empty', I'm sure the merge of the shards did quite enough to get the Mask to become more popular.
  • zrieprakiszrieprakis Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So there are no instances with a small amount of people, like 20 ? every instance has 200 or more ppl?
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I knew threads like these would pop up.

My advice is to just bear with it for a few days, afterwards it'll go back to being virtually empty again, but this time a few more people will know about the place, and it might not be so dead, for a while.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It wasn't dead before the event - when's the last time you went in there? There were always about 5-10 people in there RPing, often more, after the server merge.

I know it's 'just for a few days', but this is also likely a repeated event, and it definitely should be moved. Aside the problems it's causing for RPs, it's WAY too small for so many people to pack in there like that. My computer slows to a crawl and can't even render everyone in there. Just because it's only going to last four days doesn't mean we should just ignore it and let them think it was a good idea.
  • manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I agree. Please, PLEASE move the vendor. If not this time, before the NEXT event like it comes up, and most certainly before this event happens again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • lejjylejjy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So glad someone made a thread for this before I did.

Re: the mask being empty before -- no, it wasn't. People were always RPing in there even if it was just a few, before the merge. It's not so much an issue of "oh, let's put a quest npc in here to liven up the mask" it's an issue of ... everyone who goes in there to hand Waukeen stuff in, is not going in there to RP they're going in to hand in a quest.... AND the Mask was the ONLY decent non combat map (that any of us knew of) on a single instance.... so it was the ONLY place in this entire game to meet up with new RPers without being split across annoying instances. ( HINT HINT CRYPTIC, PUT DRIFTWOOD ON A SINGLE INSTANCE ALREADY! )

Now, basically all the RPers who don't already have smaller groups or guilds to branch off in, have nowhere decent to meet up to find others who also come to this game to RP.

I got a tell in game about 5 seconds ago: quote: "hey, how do you like what they did to the Mask? Cryptic seems to really hate RPers" which pretty much sums it up :|

There has been practically no support for RP in this game thus far which has been a huge bummer for most of us who do play here for RP - and spend money on the game... and we've all been trying to fit our groups in and putting a great deal of effort in to make it work despite the lack of support and the many setbacks and challenges that would be SO EASY for Cryptic to fix for us without upsetting any of the other play-styles. Cryptic does not even give us a working in game dice roll command ... nor emotes, even though it would be very easy to do so..

And now they decide to bombard the SINGLE place to find and mingle with RPers with a go-to quest npc to flood it with non-rpers, whom we have all been trying to a.) not get in the way of previously and b.) not get trolled by during RP :|

Stupidest idea ever... sure it's only for a short time and might go back to normal - but for a lot of us who have put oodles of effort into trying to RP in this game (After looking forward to its release for so long after the still stable RP communities of NWN)... it's like a kick in the face for the time we spend in game and telling us in no uncertain terms our play style isn't welcome... The RP community was thin enough as it is from the lack of support, and I've been constantly trying to convince my rp buddies from other games that "Oh no, trust me, it's good, NW is a good place to RP and you can make it work and eventually they'll add more stuff in to make it better for RPers :D" ... -_-

So much for that. I have loved this game to absolute bits, and loved its RP potential ... so I am quite distressed to say that this incident and decision has been the icing on the cake to make me really consider if I can be bothered (even after all the money I've spent here thus far ...) to continue to play here instead of moving on (like so many RPers already have for these reasons) to another game.
  • mistysummermistysummer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    lejjy wrote: »
    So glad someone made a thread for this before I did.

Re: the mask being empty before -- no, it wasn't. People were always RPing in there even if it was just a few, before the merge. It's not so much an issue of "oh, let's put a quest npc in here to liven up the mask" it's an issue of ... everyone who goes in there to hand Waukeen stuff in, is not going in there to RP they're going in to hand in a quest.... AND the Mask was the ONLY decent non combat map (that any of us knew of) on a single instance.... so it was the ONLY place in this entire game to meet up with new RPers without being split across annoying instances. ( HINT HINT CRYPTIC, PUT DRIFTWOOD ON A SINGLE INSTANCE ALREADY! )

Now, basically all the RPers who don't already have smaller groups or guilds to branch off in, have nowhere decent to meet up to find others who also come to this game to RP.

I got a tell in game about 5 seconds ago: quote: "hey, how do you like what they did to the Mask? Cryptic seems to really hate RPers" which pretty much sums it up :|

There has been practically no support for RP in this game thus far which has been a huge bummer for most of us who do play here for RP - and spend money on the game... and we've all been trying to fit our groups in and putting a great deal of effort in to make it work despite the lack of support and the many setbacks and challenges that would be SO EASY for Cryptic to fix for us without upsetting any of the other play-styles. Cryptic does not even give us a working in game dice roll command ... nor emotes, even though it would be very easy to do so..

And now they decide to bombard the SINGLE place to find and mingle with RPers with a go-to quest npc to flood it with non-rpers, whom we have all been trying to a.) not get in the way of previously and b.) not get trolled by during RP :|

Stupidest idea ever... sure it's only for a short time and might go back to normal - but for a lot of us who have put oodles of effort into trying to RP in this game (After looking forward to its release for so long after the still stable RP communities of NWN)... it's like a kick in the face for the time we spend in game and telling us in no uncertain terms our play style isn't welcome... The RP community was thin enough as it is from the lack of support, and I've been constantly trying to convince my rp buddies from other games that "Oh no, trust me, it's good, NW is a good place to RP and you can make it work and eventually they'll add more stuff in to make it better for RPers :D" ... -_-

So much for that. I have loved this game to absolute bits, and loved its RP potential ... so I am quite distressed to say that this incident and decision has been the icing on the cake to make me really consider if I can be bothered (even after all the money I've spent here thus far ...) to continue to play here instead of moving on (like so many RPers already have for these reasons) to another game.

I totally agree with this post, I am starting to get the feeling as well that rpers are not welcome here. :( Like the above poster I have been waiting for Cryptic to show some sign that they are going to cater to their rp demographics but apparently this is not the case which is a shame because it is your rpers that are going to remain loyal if their characters make a home here. PvPers and PvE players will eventually move on to the next flavor that comes out... Really guys this is D&D an rpg game or has that been forgotten somewhere along the line?
    Showscreation.png

"Blindness is a private matter between a person and the eyes they choose to use. For there are none so blind as those that do not listen dalharil"
  • neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2013
    Have to agree, as I'm one of those who uses the MM for some RPing. It also strikes me as an incongruous place to put the vendor. After all, isn't Waukeen all about merchants? If so, somewhere near the market would have been more appropriate. I really do appreciate the event, but this particular facet of it is not optimal.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    wouldn't be a big deal to also place more than one merchant around in PE for those events.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I agree , the NPC being in the Moonstone mask is just stupid but since the event is running for such a short amount of time I doubt they will move the NPC , just hope they don't do the same thing for future events , unless there is a reason the NPC is in the Moonstone mask.

Also , are we getting a Halloween event or is this supposed to be the event for Halloween , if it is I'll be severely disappointed since I have never played a MMO that doesn't celebrate Halloween and after Christmas Halloween is usually my second most favorite in game event in every other MMO I have ever played.
  • blackpyram11dsblackpyram11ds Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now all the hack'n'slashers know where to go to troll the RPers! *evil laugh*
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's like feeding time at the Zoo.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Suggestion: Move the vendor to the outside of the Moonstone Mask. It looks much more awesome, since you're standing on an earthmote, compared to standing in the Moonstone Mask which looks like just about any high class inn.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • sapphiremoonlightsapphiremoonlight Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree, every time I enter there and stay for a couple minutes my entire game crashes. I can't even speak to the vendor to turn in my coin purses either, as soon as I speak to him, Cryptic crashes. It's becoming very frustrating considering how many I'm carrying around and can't do anything with. :(
    edited October 2013
    Now all the hack'n'slashers know where to go to troll the RPers! *evil laugh*

We've already been getting the hack'n'slashers in there trolling for a long time now and it hasn't stopped us. More though will give us a reason to start bothering the GMs a lot over disruptive game play. At this point we've already moved to more instanced/Foundry locations during the event. The thing that's a thorn in our sides is it keeps us from meeting more people that are like-minded players in an open world.

The location for the event NPC is pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> though, it's like cryptic figured out one of the central gathering points (because till now most of us had never seen it with more than one instance) knew it was tiny and had one instance, and then shoved a large event into it.

Would love to see cryptic address the location of the NPC for future events though and keep them out of the mask, or any area like it thats A) Cramped little location that will cause lag for the majority because of how much they're trying to load, and B) valuable to the RPers as a stand alone instance that isnt busy.

You don't need to do much to keep the RPers happy unlike the pve/pvp crowds. Give us a good central place to gather outside a foundry, give us good looking cosmetics (the pantaloons don't count) and actually respond to our requests to remove the trolls that come in to bother us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    arontimes wrote: »
    Suggestion: Move the vendor to the outside of the Moonstone Mask. It looks much more awesome, since you're standing on an earthmote, compared to standing in the Moonstone Mask which looks like just about any high class inn.

They don't even have to go that far - just allow players to do the same stuff that they can in Moonstone w/ the guy on the event stand in PE proper...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • floingisfloingis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Aye.

The Moonstone Mask is really the only place for Roleplayers to wander across each other in the world anyhow. None of the other taverns (Like Driftwood Tavern) are single instanced. Meaning unless it's a planned meeting, it's luck of the draw to just find some to Roleplay with openly.

A Question for Cryptic:
    If this was going to be done with the Moonstone Mask, something like bring obsessive amounts of traffic into the one and only sure-fire, open tavern Roleplay location in Neverwinter... Why can't the other taverns in the world be converted to their own instance like the Mask currently is?
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I have to agree with a lot of things said it this thread. The area in itself just isn't cut out for that many people to be cramed into a small room.

And I know the event has only been for four days, but, the moonstone mask is basically the only area where people can meet and Roll play. So placing the NPC there has effectively killed all rollplay for four days. And I know of a fair few people who pretty much play the game exclusively for the roll play player base, for them its like having the game offline for 4 days.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    floingis wrote: »
    A Question for Cryptic:
    If this was going to be done with the Moonstone Mask, something like bring obsessive amounts of traffic into the one and only sure-fire, open tavern Roleplay location in Neverwinter... Why can't the other taverns in the world be converted to their own instance like the Mask currently is?

I believe (but am not positive) that Moonstone Mask is on a separate map. The floating island is part of PE, and the door is a map transition to a completely separate map.

Driftwood Tavern, for instance, is part of PE - instead of a transition, the door acts like a teleporter - so there are as many Driftwood Tavern instances as there are PE instances at any given time. However, moving DT to its own map similar to the way the Mask is set up shouldn't be that difficult.

So! Cryptic - please move all inns/taverns in the world to their own separate maps, like Moonstone Mask is. Pretty please.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't see where anyone else here mentioned it, so... In their live stream earlier today they said that the number of players per instance in the Moonstone Mask would be reduced because of the complaints.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • rezlezrezlez Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2013
    Put it in some place relevant to the event that NO ONE ever goes to like...

Oh, I know! Blackdagger Ruins! Seeing as the questline talked about bandits tearing up merchants on the roads, that makes COMPLETE SENSE. And NO ONE goes in that area anymore, unless they want to do the, what, 10 quests that take an hour or less to complete?

Move the Vender into the Broken Crown - easy, makes sense, no complaints.

Honestly, I wish they'd continue the event for the week, just so that the NPC change wouldn't be last minute and the event actually made sense in context. They could just have purses, no higher level trade-ins, for the rest of the week for all I care. Just give people the chance to actually trade in their bags for SOMETHING.
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    I don't see where anyone else here mentioned it, so... In their live stream earlier today they said that the number of players per instance in the Moonstone Mask would be reduced because of the complaints.

I actually really hate this.

It sort of fixed the too crowded to load textures issue, but at the same time its another slap in the face for the RP people. And it could well have long term negative effects for us too, we had never hit the 80 player instance cap before this even, but we probably did have 40 every so often

Again, I'm going to point out this is the only suitable place in the game for roll players to meet, because of its consistency in instances (single instance).

Either giving us more places to go, or at least giving us the one we had back.. would be nice.
    edited October 2013
    floingis wrote: »
    Aye.

The Moonstone Mask is really the only place for Roleplayers to wander across each other in the world anyhow. None of the other taverns (Like Driftwood Tavern) are single instanced. Meaning unless it's a planned meeting, it's luck of the draw to just find some to Roleplay with openly.

A Question for Cryptic:

I want to see all the taverns and the like on their own 'instance/map' like the moonstone is. It makes sense for facilitating RP. I wouldnt have bothered with a lot of the cosmetics I've got/any of the AD or packs I've gotten if it weren't for RP and wanting specific items from the packs enough.

Not catering to the RP at all just... slowly making me not want to stick around anymore even with what I sunk into it. I enjoy the DDs and all but they're not the primary reason I liked the game. Right now it feels like cryptic is telling the RPers that we're not welcome because they took away our main meeting spot.

Also, I say 'not catering to rp at all' because of taking away our one active low pop instance that rarely if ever actually hit having more than one instance was a slap in the face.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Setting it so that each tavern had only one instance would be helpful when forming parties as well. While it wouldn't always be available as not all maps have them, having everyone go into a tavern to meet up would be a lot better than waiting for everyone to be able to change instances.

"You all met in a tavern" is a fantasy staple, after all.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited October 2013
    That is very true as well Pitshade. Would help RP community AND everyone else for places it's an option to zone in and out for getting into the same instance as a pt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pitshade wrote: »
    Setting it so that each tavern had only one instance would be helpful when forming parties as well. While it wouldn't always be available as not all maps have them, having everyone go into a tavern to meet up would be a lot better than waiting for everyone to be able to change instances.

"You all met in a tavern" is a fantasy staple, after all.

Very much so, and lets not forget not all taverns are the same. Truthfully. I never liked the idea of the mask being RP central to begin with. Even if you overlook the entire brothel implication. Its a snooty upper scale place. Its a place for the rich, nobility, and celebrities. Its not a place for a rowdy Half-orc looking for a drink and a few heads to bust. Its not a place for a surly dwarf looking to unwind. Good luck trying to get into the mask as a pious priest and not have it look a tiny bit odd.

The driftwood is a much better setting. Its the humble tavern so many good adventures seem to start from. A place you can relax, unwind, and not worry how much your bar tab is going to be at the end of the night. Its a real shame it didn't get the same treatment as the mask.