test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Silence of Haydenwick NW-DFUTEUGUE

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
This foundry is a story driven adventure with elements from the survival horror genre and challenged myself to bring a singleplayer/standalone game experience into neverwinter. It has been tested thoroughly for a immersive step by step adventure, and combat has been tested on all five classes to get the balancing and difficulty/challenge just right. The combat changes pace throughout the story from heavy to light and vice versa.

The Silence of Haydenwick by @grimah

Short Code: NW - DFUTEUGUE
Mission Type: Survival Horror, Adventure.
Average Duration: 1 hour
Amount of Combat: Heavy to Light (depending on section.)
Starts at: World Map
Mission Summary: You have decided to take on the task no one wants, to investigate a small village called Haydenwick which has lost contact with the outside world for weeks.

Designed to support both Solo and Co-op without hinderence to story or the additional party member, Solo is for confident players, who enjoy neverwinter combat. Control Encounters recommended.

There are 5 optionals that will help you throughout the adventure (make things easier) these are a bonus to any who like exploration and will make your fights alot easier.

Deadly Traps
Hoe Key
Magic Rod
Pack of Poultices
Cured Beef Bones

F.A.Q.

Q1: Stuck in Larbledune's Manse: Can't open the door.
A: Check the rooms on the top floor for a key, there are other locked doors in the house you may want to check.

Q2: Stuck in Larbledune's Manse: Can't use the statue in the bedroom.
A: You need a Gem to solve this puzzle (check text). Hint: Check the jewelery box in the Library (room you enter in)

Q3: Can't find Nails or Hammer
A: Check your minimap/map.

Screenshots/attachments:

1cq1.jpg

woz7.jpg

wjf8.jpg

6lhk.jpg

I hope you enjoy the ride, and I appreciate any criticism or suggestions.
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To any who read this and is interested in picking it up. I would hold back until a 1.5 version(1.5j is latest) is uploaded (or you can pick it up whilst loaded into another foundry map.)

Reasons being...
    - It is now eligable for daily
    - added an extra segment/scene, to give the foundry a bit more of an ending (to this chapter).
    - Addition elements added to expand the story a bit (dont worry no dialogue still).
    - few more notes and story hints/information.
    - adjusted traps so they will not always get the player stuck but if you do just use jump and movement keys (wrote it into the introduction) until i can figure out how to make them effective but not so much on the player.
    - changed placement of a certain optional hand in to make it easier to spot, as most players found the required item but not the hand in.
    - tweaked some spawns to make it safer in the village than it is outside it.
    - lowered amount of enemies in the first map but do not worry I did not lower the amount of encounters.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Grimah,

I just completed your quest on a solo 60 TR. I expected to die a bunch of times, so I didn't really mind when I did.

One thing to consider: Sometimes you have objectives from the player's perspective ("I have a bad feeling about this"), and other times the objectives are telling the player to do something ("Head to the north exit"). I'd remove all of the references to "I", and make them consistent. So "I have a bad feeling about this" could be "Defend yourself!" or "A distant scream sends a chill down your spine".

Also, one of the barricades trapped me inside when it spawned. Had to do a /killme.

The final sequence in the mansion was absolutely awesome. Bravo. Full tip/5-stars.

Please give either of the quests in my signature a go. Thanks!
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
    edited October 2013
    thanks for playing and it is a good suggestion, but i think I will go the opposite of your suggestion and make them first person rather than some unknown hinting at what you should do for more immersion.

Glad you are liking it. its close to its definitive version. And i will be happy to try your foundries.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just wanted to drop in and say I had a blast in grimah's foundry and even if I got a bit lost in smoke searching for some tools, I had a very helpful Game Master that hinted me :)

I recommend the foundry to any classic RPG guys that like longer quests with a meaty storyline.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just wanted to throw in my endorsement for this foundry. Played it several days ago and really enjoyed it.

- Lack of dialogue works well for this type of quest. Telling the story through discovery was effective and immersive.

- The spawn triggers and points were very well chosen to take enhance the player's sense of disorientation and urgency. Really helped set the mood.

- Nice subversion of the yellow sparkle path to encourage players to wake up and investigate their surroundings.

- This is not a quest you pick up when you are simply in a hurry to get dailies done. However, if you want to actually enjoy a Foundry, this one is sufficiently different from the norm in its quality and presentation to merit a go.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited October 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. It is as polished as it will be, after tweaking a few minor bugs I will be submitting this for feature within the next couple of days, hopefully its not too late for cryptic to see it and use it for the halloween holiday.

If you play this, enjoy :)
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for all the reviews, though i doubt most of you players read these forums! But thanks nonetheless, I am glad you found it so enjoyable. And I have just submitted for featuring so hopefully everyone else will be able to experience what you guys have :)

Thanks again.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hello, Shy-nee here!

This is probably the first quest that actually made me feel something besides "Meh, another +1 to my daily". In fact, I could barely stop playing this! This was so amazing that I recomended it to my friends and pretended to know nothing when I was going through it again with them. All of them enjoyed it :P

I know it's hard to get noticed on foundry nowdays, too much grinding trash missions like common known arena quest, almost noone gives a ****...
    I want The Silence of Haydenwick to have banner of featured because it has an amazing atmosphere of survival horror, interesting story line and actually interesting encounters. Really time worthy quest.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is a GREAT foundry. Loved it. :D
    va8Ru.gif
    edited November 2013
    Had to pull this from the database as the current version 1.7n has a bug during the first "boss" encounter, due to some changes with killboxes (foundry term).

the new version is ready but because of the database bug where it does not update I'm forced to take it down until next maintenance (may try and upload it before then to see if the database refreshes).
  • djcolburndjcolburn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm sure I'd enjoy this a lot more if I didn't keep dying. Constantly. I'd spend 3 minutes healing my wounds (too cheap to buy injury kits), and 30 seconds getting slaughtered. I had to stop after the 6th time, I just couldn't take it any more.
    edited November 2013
    djcolburn wrote: »
    I'm sure I'd enjoy this a lot more if I didn't keep dying. Constantly. I'd spend 3 minutes healing my wounds (too cheap to buy injury kits), and 30 seconds getting slaughtered. I had to stop after the 6th time, I just couldn't take it any more.

I'm sorry this foundry is not for everyone. It is tuned to be hard, challenging or fun (for more geared players).

Bring plenty of potions and injury kits, if you do not wish to use such things, best to stay clear from this foundry. It is designed to play like a standalone campaign, where dying is a sure possibility unless you prepare yourself and use your skills and surroundings to your advantage.

Like most survival horror games, it is not for everyone.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This was very lovely to run, Grimah. I did so on a level 20 GF (so I didn't die, but fights took forever).
    I enjoyed the exploration and puzzle elements and greatly enjoyed how you build your maps. The only thing I liked less would be that it was quiet dark on certain maps, making it harder to see all of your hard work.
  • death7850death7850 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Quick Question.
    Where's the Key that you use to unlock the Door to the Larbledune?
    edited August 2014
    hello, the key is in another locked room opposite the library (room you entered in) that key is found on the top floor.

Hope that helps.
  • death7850death7850 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks you dude
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I couldn't manage this one either. Though I was playing with my HR at the time. My CW might handle it better. So far that's been the case. Mob management powers help a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Yeah I couldn't manage this one either. Though I was playing with my HR at the time. My CW might handle it better. So far that's been the case. Mob management powers help a lot.

Thanks for trying, but as i said before its not for everyone. I did lower/remove certain spawns in the new featured version as i felt it needed breaks/lower points and higher points in combat. And i made it slightly easier (through visual cues and objective changes so you would be more likely to find help). with all items found, it can be quite easy/moderate. (theres a golem who can help you very early on for example).

But it is definately for combat orientated players (as well as puzzle, story) hence the survival horror label.
  • nuca619nuca619 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    Thanks for trying, but as i said before its not for everyone. I did lower/remove certain spawns in the new featured version as i felt it needed breaks/lower points and higher points in combat. And i made it slightly easier (through visual cues and objective changes so you would be more likely to find help). with all items found, it can be quite easy/moderate. (theres a golem who can help you very early on for example).

But it is definately for combat orientated players (as well as puzzle, story) hence the survival horror label.

hi, im loving this quest but im having a problem. im doing this on a lvl 5 SW and im in the mansion and at the jewel part but I cant use it so I don't think I can finish the quest why is this? is it my characters level or something else?
    edited August 2014
    nuca619 wrote: »
    hi, im loving this quest but im having a problem. im doing this on a lvl 5 SW and im in the mansion and at the jewel part but I cant use it so I don't think I can finish the quest why is this? is it my characters level or something else?

If you have the jewel in your inventory you should be able to select the correct option at the statue. If you don't know where the jewel you might want to check the library.
  • nuca619nuca619 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ok thanks very much ill look there next time I log in