test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

80% Chance? ha!

bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For the past several weeks, I and my guild have been running Frozen Heart and Spellplague epic trying to get T2 helms and boots. Personally I have over 10 runs in each all during DD. Not one helm or boot has dropped. It's not just me, its happening to everyone in the guild. Cryptic you might want to check your percentage calculations or post the actual numbers because it's not even close to what you say it is.
Post edited by bruenore on

Comments

• Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Where did you get 80% drop chance for a t2 set item?
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    welcome to RNG and bad luck. :p
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Lol I think it's like 10-15% chance, it's not even 80% to get T1
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    yukuaiitayukuaiita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I did tons of DD and then I get 3 T2 pieces in 3 consecutive runs.
    GG and have fun :P
    firmaconsiglio.gif
  • Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did 16ish ToS runs & never even saw a T2 armor, nor from the boss nor int he box:)
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kemi1984 wrote: »
    Did 16ish ToS runs & never even saw a T2 armor, nor from the boss nor int he box:)

Yes it's a bit ridiculous...if it were just me I wouldn't be concerned but with everyone in the guild. Something is amiss.....
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, where did you get the 80% figure? You never answered that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry that's an 80-90% chance of failure. It's more like 1-2% chance of success I didn't clarify that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bruenore wrote: »
    Sorry that's an 80-90% chance of failure. It's more like 1-2% chance of success I didn't clarify that.

90% failure is a 10% chance of success... which is exactly what it is lol. Working as Intended, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    90% failure is a 10% chance of success... which is exactly what it is lol. Working as Intended, nothing to see here.

I beg to differ, we have people with over 20 runs during DD without a drop, none of us have seen a single T2 drop in over a week and we run many during each DD we're online for; usually several groups at a time.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    maybe you re better of in mc, hahaha
    unless you need certain other set bonusses or something.
    didn`t i see you there today ? i don t remember but the name looks familiar.
  • Options
    rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know your pain man, but according to the wiki the chances are:

10% to get the T2 main item (Helmet, etc)
    20% to get T2 secondary item (Rings, etc)
    70% to get trash (T1 item)

I've completed Spellplague many times but I've never gotten anything useful from it. I got 3 T2 rings but all were pretty bad. I've never gotten a single helmet :-/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bruenore wrote: »
    I beg to differ, we have people with over 20 runs during DD without a drop, none of us have seen a single T2 drop in over a week and we run many during each DD we're online for; usually several groups at a time.

RNG is RNG you have the same 10% chance every time. I ran a total of 13 dungeons to get my full T2 on my DC. 1 Karru, 4 FH, 4 Spell, 4 Spider. So I was just lucky with the RNG while the people that are running 20 times are not. Maybe they should implement something like each failed run increases your drop chance by 5% or something, but it's already not that hard. Since patch I've never done more than 4-5 runs without getting a T2 in the chest.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That is the problem with RNG. We have people who have bad luck and can do 20 runs and get NOTHING! This is why some MMO start using the token system. So if you do a run and get NOTHING, at least you get a token for that run. After X token (usually 5-10 on any given game or some dungeon give different amount of token) you can BUY your epic.

In a pure RNG, you are at the mercy of RNG and luck (even after it drop, you have to win the roll)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    How about getting the t2 loot 50% of the time and being allowed to take the quest only once a week?
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    How about getting the t2 loot 50% of the time and being allowed to take the quest only once a week?

That could be worst. 50% chance is a still 50% NOT getting it (which can be likely) can you imagine running it once a week and get nothing (like some MMO with weekly run. SWTOR had this issue but at least you get tokens) You could have bad luck and ran 4 times (1 month) and T2 drop but not for YOU (or lose a roll) so a month worth of time and still get nothing.....

RNG is RNG :(
  • Options
    bstbybstby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    That is the problem with RNG. We have people who have bad luck and can do 20 runs and get NOTHING! This is why some MMO start using the token system. So if you do a run and get NOTHING, at least you get a token for that run. After X token (usually 5-10 on any given game or some dungeon give different amount of token) you can BUY your epic.

In a pure RNG, you are at the mercy of RNG and luck (even after it drop, you have to win the roll)

Actually, this could be a solution. Just put a token in DD chest. After you get 10 tokens, you can change them for an epic set item.

edit: Equals guaranteed 10% chance.
    Ranger.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bstby wrote: »
    Actually, this could be a solution. Just put a token in DD chest. After you get 10 tokens, you can change them for an epic set item.

edit: Equals guaranteed 10% chance.

That is what I'm thinking. I know that some people HATE the token system and love RNG, but I think the token system is a good way of doing it. The downside is that it introduce another "currency" to get it.

Borrowing from DCUO (DC Universe Online) they have a currency that you can BUY T1 or T2. To earn this currency, you can run any T1, T2 or dailies to earn these tokens. Granted the T2 prices are MUCH higher (almost double or triple of T1) so a player can technically "solo" to get a T1 or T2 (if they are willing to save up and skip T2 which they can)

I am thinking of a similar system. This is my suggestion
    First, we keep the RNG system as is. People can STILL earn T1 and T2 via drops
    Second, Add a new token that can only be EARN from defeating each boss. Each boss will have a value (1-5)
    Third, Boss lockout - Players cannot EARN any token or loot drop after defeating the boss of that specific instance (but can join) similar to SWTOR system What WILL be rewarded is what we can call "assistance token" these tokens can be earn upto X per day (lets say 50-100) and you can trade in for UNIQUE vanity/fashion base item. This will promote players helping to run instances and still get rewarded.

Players can buy T1 using this token. (value varies depending on pieces)
    Player A GF can buy T1 GF Bracer for 10 tokens
    Player A GF can trade T1 GF bracer + 50 tokens for T2 GF Bracer
    Player A GF can trade T2 GF bracer + 100 token for T3 GF Bracer
    (please note that the number of token varies per item)

Player B TR found T1 TR chestpiece.
    Player B TR can trade T1 TR chestpiece + 50 token to T2 TR chestpiece.
  • Options
    jsmoothnw111jsmoothnw111 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Isn't there something like this already implemented? The only difference being you can only buy tier equivalent gear, not actual set pieces.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    kemi1984 wrote: »

I did 2 ToS runs and didn't get the armor. Did a 3rd and got 2 sets (DD chest + boss drop). Go figure.

I do think the RNG is a bit streaky though seems accurate in my testing. I fused a large number of Rank 5 enchants into Rank 6 (40% success rate stated) and recorded the values. Overall it was very close to 40%, but in that sample at least there were alternating, long streaks of success and failure. I'm very familiar with the properties of RNG's and understand that can happen, though the streakiness I experienced in that sample is fairly improbable.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    battlestationvbattlestationv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i have over 200 drake seals fomr just running tos i have not once seen Timeless chest drop
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Isn't there something like this already implemented? The only difference being you can only buy tier equivalent gear, not actual set pieces.

Yeah, so maybe selling the set pieces should cost about twice as much as the other tier gear (which I'm hesitant to call equivalent, but then again I mostly just use the seals to get rings to salvage)

Also, since it hasn't been posted, per the wikia for the DD drop rates:
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dungeon_Delve#Dungeon_Delve_chest_drop_rates

(doesn't help with non-DD, I guess?)
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    here's some real in-game experience: today i ran karrundax with some guildies and friends and i got a terrible 3k salvage value ring. such is the way of life. you gotta pick yourself up and hit that next dungeon with fervor. onward, ho!
  • Options
    whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    RNG is a strange thing.

Out of the 35 or so Pirate King runs I've done, I'd say about 30 of those runs, nearly every single one drops all TR items. Every time almost. It's just strange to see trends that last so long and seem so obvious.

I would wager these things are just RNG, but sometimes I feel like it's a conspiracy, lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    just like there's the mimic in dungeons, there should be a RNG demon who's main attack is to scramble your stats for ten seconds. or make male characters wear dresses for ten minutes.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Bad Luck is bad luck. I got Tier 2 options in there just the other day.

In my experience one person every two runs gets the options for T2 and for some reason it's often me even though I don't need any gear anymore on my level 60 characters while the main guild member we keep running for has not gotten boots in some 15 or so Frozen Heart runs.

Just remember that you only have ___5 chance of getting a T2 selection. It's the same chance every single run so however unlikely it is you could do Frozen heart 25 times and never get the option.