test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

75 lockboxes and nothing good!

omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What the heck did they make the dragon and the Owl uber rare??? if u want one wait for someone to sell it because 2.5 million diamonds later and nothing.
A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
Post edited by omgudied2 on

Comments

• Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lool i opened 380 nm lockbox and not got inferno mount or 1 tene. Only 23 left now.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sucks to be you I just opened five and have a Pseudo Dragon companion and two epic rings, not bad.

Random is random I guess
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    yea I wanted one for my wiz but now after spending that amount I don't think this game is for me... someone got a little two greedy
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    omgudied2 wrote: »
    yea I wanted one for my wiz but now after spending that amount I don't think this game is for me... someone got a little two greedy

Honestly instead of playing that kind of coin you could have waited a week or so and grabbed one from the AH, that's how I got my Twilight Nightmare and it it really didn't cost that much...seems to me the has less to do with greed and more to do with impatience.

Just sayin.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If I was playing Russian roulette with this game I would die on every spin! they need to get real with the drops.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly instead of playing that kind of coin you could have waited a week or so and grabbed one from the AH, that's how I got my Twilight Nightmare and it it really didn't cost that much...seems to me the has less to do with greed and more to do with impatience.

Just sayin.

Opening nm box Is good for economy you bring ad to game .
    I don't say i was not well rewarded from the 380 nm.l.b .
    I just say 380 box and no mount accualy i was on offense ,he complaned about 75 box what soud i say.

sorry for bad eng
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I had no idea the drops from the boxes were that rare, with that being said no more keys from me! and they weren't 75 in a row it was 11 35 20 11.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I had no idea the drops from the boxes were that rare, with that being said no more keys from me! and they weren't 75 in a row it was 11 35 20 11.

What I have found is people who open all of their boxes in a row tend to lose out, I will open one or two at a time, that seems to pay out better for me. But Key purchases are a personal choice I have always had reasonable luck, but I still don't do more than five or so a month, most of the time I buy what I want with AD.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013

This has nothing to do with the game, or company greed.

You chose to open the lockboxes in the hope of getting an optional pet you wanted. This optional pet is in no way required for the game. It isn't an issue of greed, so much it is of your choices.

That you didn't randomly get what you wanted isn't cause to try to spin the situation so that the company is somehow responsible and at fault for the choices that you chose to make.

If you want the game to cost less, spend less on the game.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I opened just 2.

First one was like "Omfg dude YOU EARNED AND EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!11 Reward"
    = an alluring elven box.

I opened my "epic" reward and got a lesser serene rune.

I checked it AH value... 500 astral diamonds.

So epic. 500 AD from an item that costs 42,000.

Thanks.
    thanks.
    really, thanks.

(Next one was a wep cache. Might be nice for the gwf im lvling whos almost 49, but being its bugged atm and can't drop what its meant to, no purpose)
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    But this isn't gambling. I might find it skeevy, but it bypasses all gambling laws by having every box award something of value. Cryptic is actually more generous then most with its trade bar system. Even if you have total fail luck. The trade bars will eventually let you cash that failure into something of value.

No one is forcing anyone to open box after box. And while the odds arn't posted they are hardly hidden. General opinion is the mount is close to 1% chance. That is the wonderful thing about forums, you get enough people together they will find anything out. A little time spent informing oneself before spending large sums of money is always advisable, no matter the purchase.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    But this isn't gambling. I might find it skeevy, but it bypasses all gambling laws by having every box award something of value. Cryptic is actually more generous then most with its trade bar system. Even if you have total fail luck. The trade bars will eventually let you cash that failure into something of value.

No one is forcing anyone to open box after box. And while the odds arn't posted they are hardly hidden. General opinion is the mount is close to 1% chance. That is the wonderful thing about forums, you get enough people together they will find anything out. A little time spent informing oneself before spending large sums of money is always advisable, no matter the purchase.

Sorry to correct you but in the US even promotional giveaways have to post odds. This includes everything from prizes in cereal boxes for kids to the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. Even though these items are legally cost free, the element of chance requires an odds posting. Commercial giveaways, like the lockboxes, are actually stricter and often require disclaimers and/or habitual gambling advisories in some states.

EDIT

The simple fact is, much cyber commerce is relatively un governed, Amazon has made a killing from avoiding sales taxes simply by getting legislative exemptions for it shipping warehouses. Much revenue like this is now being challenged in the courts, and should anyone file a complaint here, I 'd be surprised if there was already a precedent set out there. Maybe someone with more business law knowledge could enlighten us. :)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    I 'd be surprised if there was already a precedent set out there. Maybe someone with more business law knowledge could enlighten us. :)

This is a touchy subject and one even the Community Moderators are passionate about.

In an effort to not get involved too much I will simply say that in another game that decided to have blatant gambling the players roared in protest and even filed complaints against the practice to the British Gambling Authorities.

Their response was equally sickening...
    Paraphrased: The value of any digital item is nothing so the gambling laws do not apply. In order for such a transaction to be considered gambling the return must have a value so essentially when you pay for a chance to gain an item unless there is a chance to receive no item it is not considered gambling.

Basically the people in charge don't see a value in digital items so as far as they are concerned the in game economy means jack diddly squat. As long as you receive a single item it doesn't matter if it's worth nothing within the game's economy because what you paid for was, in their definition, worth nothing in reality.

Which begs the question how they can be so far behind the times. If you ask any Video Game Company if their digital items have a value they will say yes. The entire "No Real World Trading" rule relies on this.
    And what about other media? Does that mean digital software like photoshop is worth nothing? How about digital comic books. Can't be stealing if I download those because digital items are worth nothing...except for some reason those have value?

Basically...
    Until the people who grew up in the video game era get in charge of government I'm not sure you can expect any change. They are ignorant and don't respect video games as anything more than child's play. As far as they are concerned it's still as simple as playing super mario and that's just not the case and I am sure we can all agree on that.

Cryptic does strive (and succeed) in staying well within the laws.
    The laws don't respect video game economies as having value and as such do not protect consumers.

And gambling laws exist for no other reason than the protection of the consumer. There's no reason that any gambling house would voluntarily post odds. I don't like the lockboxes and would much prefer to do things I can't say as a moderator with them but I can't fault a company because the governments of the world fail to protect the citizens.

The best thing to do, if you want changes, is to tell your government officials to wake up to the 21st century because there is no incentive for change without government intervention.

Opinions expressed are purely my own.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i`m half man, half bear, half pig.
    realy don`t need an owlbear
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i stopped open the box and buy key after the lunch of module 1, why? for the 40 min of the lockbox bug and the Pw " have fun lucky player 0.= " while i used 120 key for get only 1 nigthmare and some tene. that's why all the time i got a stupid box, i trash him. will be the same whit the new 1, carppy mount, crappy pet and again crappy drop, you will gain more if you sell the key because no one will buy a pseudodragon or an howl for 7mil AD xD
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    I opened just 2.

First one was like "Omfg dude YOU EARNED AND EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!11 Reward"
    = an alluring elven box.

I opened my "epic" reward and got a lesser serene rune.

I checked it AH value... 500 astral diamonds.

So epic. 500 AD from an item that costs 42,000.

Thanks.
    thanks.
    really, thanks.

(Next one was a wep cache. Might be nice for the gwf im lvling whos almost 49, but being its bugged atm and can't drop what its meant to, no purpose)

that`s the risk of gambling :D
  • Options
    fermifermi Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We all know when we open a lockbox that there's no guarantee to get anything particular inside. We all know that it's a roll of the dice. A gamble, if you will.

If you focus on getting that particular outcome, then you are also taking a gamble with success. Maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't. You don't really have any control over it. And it's possible (though unlikely) that opening THOUSANDS of lockboxes won't get you what you want.

Better, in my opinion, to only engage when it's the process itself you enjoy. The hint of anticipation, the hope and mystery of possibility, instead the expectation of a particular outcome. That way you ALWAYS win.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. Party on.
  • Options
    wergildwergild Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2013
    Just a note, I opened well (and I mean WELL) over 75 lockboxes. In fact, currently I have 5,000+ Tarmalune trade bars...

At an average of 10 per box, that means I opened 500 boxes. At an average of 20 per box, 250 boxes.

Now, before someone claims what an idiot I am, you can earn 25,000 AD per day playing (pretty easily) which works out to 15 keys per month - unless you are playing two characters or more (I am) which would then give you more than 30 keys per month.

Add in another 10 keys per month from AH sales, and another 10 keys from getting useless 'idols' from lockboxes, and now you are easily at 50 keys per month (realistically much more, but you begin to see my point).

Assuming a value of at least 40,000 AD per lockbox I opened, and estimating 250 to be in favor of PWE, you now have an AD value I expended of:

wait for it...

10 million AD (minimum)

Alternatively I could have purchased 10 nightmare steeds, 10 phoera, and 10 of anything else really good that drops from the boxes.

But I did not. I have no mount. Zero.

Consider that for a minute... I opened between 250 to 500 boxes, and NEVER received a mount. To add insult to injury, I have about 40 of those crappy gloomwrought weapon crates (which are completely worthless).

That is more or less why I don't spend any money on this game anymore. The trade bars at least should balance out against the mount values (they don't).

So I have 5,000 trade bars, which cost me at least 10 million AD to get (plus a little real world money, of course).

Those trade bars will buy me two twilight nightmares, which have a rocking combined street value of about 4 million AD (after AH fees and such).

In case you're wondering, I play standing up since I'm still sore.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    wergild wrote: »
    Just a note, I opened well (and I mean WELL) over 75 lockboxes. In fact, currently I have 5,000+ Tarmalune trade bars...

At an average of 10 per box, that means I opened 500 boxes. At an average of 20 per box, 250 boxes.

Now, before someone claims what an idiot I am, you can earn 25,000 AD per day playing (pretty easily) which works out to 15 keys per month - unless you are playing two characters or more (I am) which would then give you more than 30 keys per month.

Add in another 10 keys per month from AH sales, and another 10 keys from getting useless 'idols' from lockboxes, and now you are easily at 50 keys per month (realistically much more, but you begin to see my point).

Assuming a value of at least 40,000 AD per lockbox I opened, and estimating 250 to be in favor of PWE, you now have an AD value I expended of:

wait for it...

10 million AD (minimum)

Alternatively I could have purchased 10 nightmare steeds, 10 phoera, and 10 of anything else really good that drops from the boxes.

Consider that for a minute... I opened between 250 to 500 boxes, and NEVER received a mount. To add insult to injury, I have about 40 of those crappy gloomwrought weapon crates (which are completely worthless).

That is more or less why I don't spend any money on this game anymore. The trade bars at least should balance out against the mount values (they don't).

So I have 5,000 trade bars, which cost me at least 10 million AD to get (plus a little real world money, of course).

Those trade bars will buy me two twilight nightmares, which have a rocking combined street value of about 4 million AD (after AH fees and such).

The house always wins, ALWAYS, in this case the house is cryptic and we either pay with real money , our precious time on earth, or both. We are consumers of a business model advertising fun with elements of grind and gambling thrown in to release extra bursts of endorphins that make our brain associate the game with feeling good to keep us playing. Yet if you are having fun and cognitively aware of what you are doing, you are winning and so is the house (cryptic) , but if you go into this with the wrong preconception (i.e. im going to buy 100 boxes and definitely get a mount and a companion plus some other cool things) you are doomed to be unsatisfied. Long and the short of it, it would be morally responsible to have a disclaimer pop up every time you bought a key from the zen store informing the player that by purchasing this item they are in no way guaranteed to get the higher value items, of course this is counter productive to the marketing strategy behind the keys hence why it hasn't been done yet.
  • Options
    shittybankshittybank Banned Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is a list of % chance for drops from lockboxes from the other game by Cryptic:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Elachi_Lock_Box

While I do not know how these %s are derived, I feel that the % chance for the main epic item is about there i.e 0.183%. I just take this list as a proxy for NWO lockbox items drop rate because the two games operate similarly in this aspect. This list could be data taken by the game community and computed so I won't swear by it. Unless NWO publishes a similar list, this is the next best thing.

Personally I have opened 230 lockboxes in one of the series with no epic ship drop, and just 5 lockboxes before I got an epic ship drop in a different series. That was in the other Cryptic game. If you have studied probability you may want to try to work out the payout table to see if the returns from the lockboxes justify the Zen/AD spent.
  • Options
    wergildwergild Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2013
    Honestly a simple fix would be to drastically lower the price of Tarmalune bar goods. That would level the playing field, and complaints would pretty much die down.

If I could buy a Twilight Nightmare for 500 Tarmalune bars, or 50 keys worth of lockboxes, then I would not complain. Even if it were 1000 bars, or at max 1,250, then I would have less reason to complain. I opened 100 boxes, had a chance at some good things, and instead ended up buying a trade bar mount.

As it is now, the trade bar items are way, way overpriced. So, that is my only real complaint :) I opened so many boxes to test out whether I would ever get a mount (so far it is never). I'm curious if anyone on the server has beaten me in that number, haha. I'm the biggest loser, yeah!!

Anyway, I opened them by choice, and since it was mostly not real money, it is just like gambling on buying one property in Monopoly with the hopes of getting the ones next to it on your way back around the board.
  • Options
    tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I prefer that the boxes stay. Fact is you don't need to rely on keys/boxes to become a well-geared player. On the other hand the boxes do give players who can't afford to spend as much time playing the game an opportunity to catch up to players who spend something like 100+ hours a week playing the game. It's the same for proficiency asset boxes.
    Compare to WoW, where if you have neither the time nor the game mechanics-savvy to pull it off then becoming a top player is more or less impossible. Don't kid yourself, just because you're wearing level 85 or 90 PvP/PUG raid gear doesn't mean you're anywhere near the level of players who actually are considered the best or even just "better" players. If you do, I'm surprised you fell for that textbook bait-and-switch trick.

Finally, Neverwinter is an action game. I'd say gear and build accounts for something like 70% of how good your character is, the other 30% is skill. WoW's combat system is tab-target + a very advanced rock/paper/scissors system. In the end it's more about countering each other's attacks and outlasting your opponent. Neverwinter is different. Here, a single dodge can mean all the difference between a dead you or a dead opponent in PvP, or a boss kill/group wipe in PvE. It's by no means perfect (at least not yet) but that's how it is.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wergild wrote: »

wait for it...

10 million AD (minimum)

Luck is random. Better luck next time.
  • Options
    l3l3l3l3l3l3l3l3 Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2013
    Regardless of the technicalities and hair splitting and current legislation, lockboxes ARE gambling.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    l3l3l3l3 wrote: »
    Regardless of the technicalities and hair splitting and current legislation, lockboxes ARE gambling.

And the great thing about free will is, it's all up to you to participate.
  • Options
    jiglesjigles Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is a touchy subject and one even the Community Moderators are passionate about.

In an effort to not get involved too much I will simply say that in another game that decided to have blatant gambling the players roared in protest and even filed complaints against the practice to the British Gambling Authorities.

Their response was equally sickening...
    Paraphrased: The value of any digital item is nothing so the gambling laws do not apply. In order for such a transaction to be considered gambling the return must have a value so essentially when you pay for a chance to gain an item unless there is a chance to receive no item it is not considered gambling.

Basically the people in charge don't see a value in digital items so as far as they are concerned the in game economy means jack diddly squat. As long as you receive a single item it doesn't matter if it's worth nothing within the game's economy because what you paid for was, in their definition, worth nothing in reality.

Which begs the question how they can be so far behind the times. If you ask any Video Game Company if their digital items have a value they will say yes. The entire "No Real World Trading" rule relies on this.
    And what about other media? Does that mean digital software like photoshop is worth nothing? How about digital comic books. Can't be stealing if I download those because digital items are worth nothing...except for some reason those have value?

Basically...
    Until the people who grew up in the video game era get in charge of government I'm not sure you can expect any change. They are ignorant and don't respect video games as anything more than child's play. As far as they are concerned it's still as simple as playing super mario and that's just not the case and I am sure we can all agree on that.

Cryptic does strive (and succeed) in staying well within the laws.
    The laws don't respect video game economies as having value and as such do not protect consumers.

And gambling laws exist for no other reason than the protection of the consumer. There's no reason that any gambling house would voluntarily post odds. I don't like the lockboxes and would much prefer to do things I can't say as a moderator with them but I can't fault a company because the governments of the world fail to protect the citizens.

The best thing to do, if you want changes, is to tell your government officials to wake up to the 21st century because there is no incentive for change without government intervention.

Totally agree... and the thing is.. even if there were already laws for gambling in games, this is a free download game, no one forced me to download it, spend real money is my decision, and even if i dont get anything good i can say its just bad luck. cause other people are getting.

Like.. at a casino.. u can spend tons of real cash and if dont get anything u cant complain to anyone besides to ur wallet. luck is very relative.

im a EU player and we have a kind of loto called "euromilions", i play for 2 years from now, 2 times a week and i havent got more that 10 euros at a time. a guy who lives 4 doors ahead got 15 milion euros at a time. You cant say that is a problem with the gambling/loto if anyone can and is wining. better luck next time is all we can say to ourselves.

spending 2.5mil AD in keys to get a specific item its our responsability, even more if u think u can buy 2/3 items like that from the AH if you have the patient.

we cant expect to get an top item from a box within 4/5 attempts cause thats not the way its meant to be. it can happen but just dont expect that.

once i bought 20 keys and opened 20 boxes in like 10 secs... i could have come to forum yell and yell... but no.. i said to myself "im so dumb... with all the money/ad i spent in 20 secs i could have easely bought the things i want"

Patient is a virtue with something that was not promised to us.

I dont expect more than fun and good times playing with my guild on this game... thats was all they promised me in the invite email they sent me in May tho. And the others things they said i could have a chance to get/be.. and we all should know how chances work :)

I cant blame the company if im dumb sometimes.

my 2c there.
    Collision - LVL 60 TR ○○○ ENYO - LVL 60 CW
  • Options
    boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sucks to be you I just opened five and have a Pseudo Dragon companion and two epic rings, not bad.

Random is random I guess

Such extreme randomness will only drive people away from the game. People did not come here to gamble. They should just sell the items in the boxes for a set amount of ZEN.
    Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
    Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
    Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Well actually the United States Federal Trade Commission Just recently updated its .DOT COM guidelines in May 2013. So I got curious and went googling. Unfortunately, as the entire world knows by now, the US congress is a pack of idiots and the FTC website is CLOSED, along with much of the rest of the government. :P

But to wit, only state and federal governments in the US may license lotteries. Advertising promotions, contests, drawings and the like must not only meet strict guidelines so as NOT to be a lottery, they must also follow a set of disclosure rules so as not to even APPEAR to be a lottery. With regards to activities that may include children or underage participants these rules become downright draconian, and in the past both the US courts and USFTC have proven they will enforce them.

So, in effect, even though the 'Terms of Service' or EULA - whichever you may call it, explains and disclaims clearly that PWE has absolutely no liabilities and obligations to you as the customer at all (Something all the trolls here will swear to and by :D ) , except to provide you with this SERVICE (the game) under the terms with which it its offered, (free) and that this service may be terminated by themselves only. (You can't even cancel your account, it stays even if you leave.) this user agreement alone may not meet the conditions of not appearing to be a lottery. Most particularly with younger players. Making every effort for full disclosure of what these lockboxes are all about is the best mitigating remedy for this.