test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Freecamera Movement and Selection

naillinailli Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Foundry
Why call it freecamera if it's still orbiting around the character?

I find it ludicrous that it takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort to place a single object in the desired spot.

What's even worse is that you have to use the camera reticle to select objects instead of the mouse cursor which is just pure bloody hell to me! lol

All in all, please disable character orbiting in freecamera mode and enable selecting objects with the mouse cursor instead of the camera reticle. :rolleyes:

[edit]

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oga0L9aXxS4

The navigation and manipulation controls in the above is pretty much standard in every 3D editing software...Except Foundry.
Post edited by nailli on

Comments

• celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    The free camera is actually a bit of a fraud, but I don't mean that in a negative way. What it really is, is a flying, invisible, high speed character that replaces your foundry avatar. If you are familiar with Champions Online and its flying technology then you basically have the idea. You are for all intents and purposes a Champions Online Flyer. Personally, I find it a huge improvement over the alternatives we had before. Its not perfect but then what in life is.

As far as selections go, while I personally don't have a problem with managing both a camera position and a selection cursor, there have been pages and pages of complaints written on the forums relating to a bug that does exactly this. In making a tool for the masses rather then graphic designers they have erred on the part of simplicity. Again its not perfect but then what in life is.

The foundry is not 3D editing software or anywhere close, lol. Just saying!
  • naillinailli Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    The foundry is not 3D editing software or anywhere close, lol. Just saying!

It's a Content Editor.

However you're still editing the placement of objects within the 3D space and therefore, there are a very standard set of tools that all kinds of '3D editors' are expected to come with.

It seems to me that fanboyism is holding the foundry back with this falsehood of 'simplicity' that's hovering around the subject. Or perhaps it's just sheer laziness on the developers part?
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    Seems to me that unrealistic expectations from the haters calling people fanboys is the major problem with people trying to build community. When a attempt to help one another recognize what a feature is based upon, and so realize why it may behave in a particular manner, results in such passive aggressive tripe, is good enough reason to let new folks flounder around in their own ignorance till they waddle off into a rage quit. Got better things to do, good luck.
  • naillinailli Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Seems to me that unrealistic expectations from the haters calling people fanboys is the major problem with people trying to build community.

I'm not saying fanboys are bad unless they start going around spreading disinformation without having any knowledge whatsoever about what they are talking about.
    When a attempt to help one another recognize what a feature is based upon

You've done nothing to help me nor was I looking to be helped let alone given a false explanation on the reasoning behind the terrible design and implementation of the navigation tools.
    Got better things to do, good luck.

Clearly you don't...
  • mrgiggles55mrgiggles55 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I remember when neverwinter online didnt have any 3d editing.
  • remorselordremorselord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I actually like the free camera mode that we have now, makes things so much easier to work with than in the past. But like someone said, the camera mode is just your character invisible wih a flying ability. The fact that the player still maintains the collision box is sometimes annoying when working on exterior spaces with trees. I tend to get stuck alot and end up reloading the 3D mode. Other than that, the 3D editor has made things a whole lot simpler to work with.